Oriental Lounge 2009

Oriental Lounge by The Different Company
Bottle Design Thierry de Baschmakoff
Oriental Lounge is a popular perfume by The Different Company for women and men and was released in 2009. The scent is oriental-spicy. It is still in production.

Céline Ellena

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Curry leaf, Pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesRed rose, Satinwood
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Labdanum, Tonka bean

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 05.10.2020.

A Quiet Oriental
Actually, it is a contradiction in terms: what, pray tell, is a 'quiet Oriental'? In this case a fragrance that doesn't deny its origin, spicy, a little bit of citrus, with a rose touch later (I get that too). It is warm and gets really soft after a while on the skin.
I think it's great, especially if it's one of those days when Shalimar doesn't work for me because it's 'too loud'.

If the fragrance were an outfit, it would be jeans, loafers, silk top and blazers in blue, white and black. That may not be exciting - but with just enough room for individuality through cut, texture and attitude. Oriental Lounge" is perfect for this: an ever-present on days when you don't really want to attract attention but want to stay true to yourself.

If you are looking for an exciting oriental, then, as the previous speakers have said, this is certainly not the one here..

Fanny
Subtlety in orientals, a niche in niche
Pardon me, but occasionally I do like exquisite light orientals.

Oriental Lounge is a relaxed beauty, far from oppressive, designed to make you feel good.
The opening notes give me the reliable sense of a good old fashioned peppery cleaning agent, which I highly approve of and simply must recommend.
In due course, a delicious amber lingers around, together with labdanum (love labdanum) and a hint of curry, inviting me to sniff my wrist at least every half hour.
No idea what satinwood smells like, but I cannot find anything disagreeable in this perfectly polished warm perfume.

Must try!

Thin Oriental
Prim and proper or pusillanimous? It's all a matter of taste, I suppose—one which I have yet to acquire in the case of the kinder, gentler, thinner orientals of which The Different Company ORIENTAL LOUNGE is one. Upon application, I was sure that I recognized the scent, and I probably did in the form of fleeting traces of many classic oriental perfumes, but here it was all too foggy and distinct, mealy-mouthed and weak.

"Thin orientals" seem to be wanting to be all things to all people but end by being simply too wishy-washy for me. I guess that I'm just old school when it comes to orientals. I like them dark, strong, and intoxicating. The sort of perfume that you'd have to wear to be noticed in a dark, smoke-filled oriental lounge, come to think of it. Does ORIENTAL LOUNGE smell bad? No, not at all. But it smells to me like the silhouette of a perfume.

Although ORIENTAL LOUNGE is not for me, anyone who likes this sort of "thin oriental" should definitely check out the Roméa D'Améor line (also composed by a great nose, but not his best work, IMNSHO).

DieNase
Does it have gaiac-wood....?
...was my first question to the vendor when I sniffed it for the first time. The packaging said "Bois de Satin" whatever that was. Lateron I looked it up in google an - surprise surprise - it is gaiac wood.
Now I finally know for sure how gaiac wood smells like. I assumed it but was not sure. In some scents it doesn't disturb me (colonia intensa by AdP, Brooklyn by Bond) - maybe these scents don't contain that much. However I find it is really awful in Wonderwood, Serge Noire and some of the other modern (oud) orientals. Although this is a difficult note for me, Oriental Lounge is a respectable oriental. On my skin it gets quite sweet and spicy, too sweet for me. Reminds me of the Lutens style, maybe a bit more subtle.
Well, for my taste it is not earth-shaking, but I think that lovers of this genre will like it.

by Dresscode
by Carlossp
by Samy1990
by Samy1990

Popular The Different Company

Collection Excessive - Oud Shamash by The Different Company Collection Excessive - Oud For Love by The Different Company Pure eVe - Just Pure / Pure Virgin by The Different Company Sel de Vétiver by The Different Company Bois d'Iris by The Different Company Jasmin de Nuit by The Different Company Osmanthus by The Different Company L'Esprit Cologne - Tokyo Bloom by The Different Company Collection Excessive - I miss Violet by The Different Company De Bachmakov by The Different Company L'Esprit Cologne - Majaĩna Sin by The Different Company L'Esprit Cologne - Kâshân Rose by The Different Company Une Nuit Magnétique - All Night Long by The Different Company Sens & Bois / Un Parfum des Sens & Bois by The Different Company Charmes & Feuilles / Un Parfum de Charmes & Feuilles by The Different Company L'Esprit Cologne - South Bay by The Different Company Sublime Balkiss by The Different Company Bergamote / Divine Bergamote by The Different Company Adjatay - Cuir Narcotique by The Different Company Santo Incienso - Sillage Sacré by The Different Company