Osmanthus by The Different Company
Bottle Design: Thierry de Baschmakoff

Osmanthus is a perfume by The Different Company for women and men and was released in 2001. The scent is floral-fresh. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mandarin, Orange
Heart Notes Heart NotesOsmanthus, Rose, Green notes
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Castoreum

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 30.06.2019

9.0 4.0 4.0 7.5/10

Feather. Light
Top note fresh and already very delicate, I perceive bergamot, fine and clearly reminiscent of the bergamot of the same name TDC fragrance (former Bergamote Divine). One of my favorite fragrances in all its monotony, by the way. Add some tangerine and orange, if you know, yes, but the peel, not the juice. Nice.
The direction of the fragrance quickly becomes apparent - it is not a loud fragrance, but an intimate fine veil that covers the skin and the wearer. A fragrance that doesn't turn you on violently, as some top note controlled fragrance-cash-cows do, or even exciting, great, overwhelming fragrance-powerful personalities from the oriental camp, for example, but a fragrance that gently takes you along.

It is a mood of its own that the fragrance spreads as soon as you inhale it for the first time. Natural and at the same time abstract, airy and ethereal. He remains materially in the here and now, but very delicately flat. Poetic promise at most, like a poem that you see on paper, but haven't read completely yet.
These are the beautiful first 10-15 minutes.

The scent warms up bit by bit, it is as if the morning dew disappears. Flowery, slightly citric and a fragrant fruity, very special fragrance thread appears, which I would like to follow if the fragrance were not so incredibly light. He's a hard man to catch.
Whether this is the typical scent of Osmanthus?
In Asia, especially with the Chinese, the Osmanthus is appreciated and worshipped. It is used to flavour tea. Gardeners praise his peach-sweet scent blossom. This fragrance is not sweet for me, but harmonious and mild. Maybe I can smell it after all, a light fruit sweetener, without any acidity or sugariness. Maybe apricot or peach.

Greenish, soft light yellow, flowery, soft fruity. The fragrance melts softly on the skin. It bridges the gap between vegetable and synthetic fragrances and human skin in a light, floating way. I could now write something about Chinese fairies or the like, but that would fit only conditionally, apart from the kitsch factor. A China porcelain teacup only modestly colored shines similarly against the light as this beautiful scent, if that is a better comparison. Yes, the tea association comes through where there isn't any. Cool-warm porcelain, porcelain skin.
Now he's painting again, Jean-Claude.

The fragrance is also greenish in its structure, its delicacy grows as a plant on earth, in a garden. Protected from strong winds, warmed by mild sun rays. Late morning.
Osmanthus, related to jasmine, but more graceful than the comparatively wild sister.

It is about one hour after spraying the fragrance.

In the second and third hour, the scent becomes finer and finer, soon it is so thin that it no longer asserts itself against smells in the environment for my nose. I look for the scent, try to keep it in my nose, the nostrils swell, but I don't really want to succeed anymore. My neck slowly gets an unattractive crease, because I always try to smell towards the scent.

Every now and then he catches me when it's very quiet on the outside. The musk is also noticeable, unfortunately a bit like a hot cloud of steam that you have inhaled too violently. That happens to me with some musk species, it scratches in the throat and on the chest. So the scent is not only soft, but also a little pressing. With the right skin chemistry this could be very interesting.

All in all, however, the feather-light scent thread is lost to me in the end. After about 3 hours I am essentially finished with the fragrance or he with me. Even though I appreciate transparency and lightness very much, this fragrance is too fleeting even for me to stay tuned. I just don't seem to have enough patience to smell after him. In the next few hours there is always a touch of the fragrance, it is beautiful, it attracts my attention, but it remains too quiet. What remains is a kind of longing, a desire for more, which the scent does not satisfy, perhaps it also plays with it, but then I am already gone. And it remains the hunch that it is a quite wonderful fragrance.

It could have been so nice, finds AugustA.

by Millefiori