Rose Poivrée by The Different Company
Bottle Design: Thierry de Baschmakoff

Rose Poivrée is a perfume by The Different Company for women and men and was released in 2001. The scent is spicy-floral. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesCoriander, Pink pepper, Black pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesDamask rose, Rosa centifolia
Base Notes Base NotesVetiver, Civet

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 02.09.2019

5.0 5.0 6.0/10

Tomato and Roses – A match NOT made in heaven
I am always interested in new and unusual scents especially when it comes to my favorite queen of the flowers, the rose. In Rose Poivree, the rose is mixed with the vegetable cocktail and sprinkled with spices. Unfortunately, this is not a match made in heaven. The combination is awkward and unpleasant.

The scent opens with a gentle scent of a rose mixed with strong vegetable, and, in particular, tomato juices. The spices are a central part of this scent – pepper, coriander, and I also smell cumin with its distinct strong savory side. The quality of the scent is nice. The scent smells natural and gentle. And if smelled vegetable side of this scent on its own, I would probably like it. But this cumin – rose – tomato combo is just not something that mix well together.

I wore my sample multiple times trying to acquire a taste for this composition. But definitely not my thing. I’ll give it 6/10 – mostly for the unique and original composition…
7.5 7.5 3.0/10

Death by Cumin
I smell no civet in ROSE POIVREE, but a huge dose of cumin. My references for civet are JOY and FIRST; my references for cumin, well, the kitchen! Perhaps synthetic civet has a cuminesque cast? Or maybe civet + coriander reacts to produce a cumin facsimile? Hmmm...

It's also possible that the names have been confused, and there really is plain old cumin in this composition. Anyway, cumin is never subtle—whether in perfumery or cuisine—and I find the quasi-cumin note so marked in the opening of this composition that it somewhat mangles the rose. Unfortunately, as the cumin fades to the point of being tolerable, the rose pretty much dies out. (Death by cumin?)

Well, this is not something that I have any real desire to smell like, and there's no dearth of rose perfumes out there, so I can safely move on...

by Amazins