Sel de Vétiver 2006

Sel de Vétiver by The Different Company
Bottle Design Thierry de Baschmakoff
Sel de Vétiver is a popular perfume by The Different Company for women and men and was released in 2006. The scent is fresh-green. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Céline Ellena

Top Notes Top NotesCardamom, Grapefruit
Heart Notes Heart NotesHaitian vetiver, Geranium, Lovage
Base Notes Base NotesYlang-ylang, Iris, Sea salt

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 27.04.2021.

Happiness comes in waves

Salt on the skin, wind in the hair, the sound of waves in the ears, that's what I call happiness !

Come on, take off your shoes, feel the sand between your toes and finally let go !
Yes, we must go back - but not now, no one can take this away from us.
Take my hand and let's dash along the hem of the wave until we run out of breath and then we'll skip stones .
Here I want to be, with you at my back and my nose in the wind.
For we mustn't forget what it feels like to break free!
And now kiss me to taste your finally smiling, salty lips.

Sel de Vétiver (The Different Company) is the first fragrance for me with real sea-association.
I've smelled aquatics that tried to achieve that fresh sea stereotype with citrusy ingredients.
Or algy brackish water scents that made you think of a broken washing machine rather than the sea...
Like a bad imitation, it often seemed to me, an image without soul, it never touched me.
Céline Ellena, however, has managed to play with vetiver- ylang-ylang and iris notes in such a way that the result is simple to name, a day at the sea. Absolutely authentic. And not a Mediterranean bikini day, but an Atlantic rubber boot day. Nothing is sweet or bright or lemony fresh here, no, here the wind comes from the front and blows through properly. In its luggage, sand, beach grass and spray. Cardamom and lovage I recognize as a spicy substructure, which probably also suggests the sensual impression as well as the originality, because that's where the fragrance develops on the skin.
And over everything is salt, wet sea salt, iodine, almost oily.
For me, 'Sel de Vétiver' is like a work of art, I can name the colours, but they don't do the picture justice. It's not a decal, not a clumsy attempt at a cliché. It's real, touching, wonderful.

For anyone with sea-sickness, this is a perfect fragrance.

Coronation in oil
Sel de Vétiver was my entry drug into the world of other fragrances. I can't say that things went smoothly right away - but with drugs it's one thing: only the unpleasant experience counts. Terence McKenna already knew that.

Things got off to a tough start. I liked the scent and I didn't like it. I was disturbed by his weight between salt and sea. Only I didn't smell salt or sea. I smell and smell oil. An oil film on the surface of the water? Yes. What now. Although the scent was not completely unappealing, proximity and distance led to an ambivalence spiral in which I was allowed to turn for some time. Only years later did I find my way out - into love.

Sel de Vétiver has been my subtle companion ever since. I like the oil in him; his certain medically bitter, fleeting side, for which I am now quite grateful. For many things that come from spicy woody herbs quickly make life more difficult.

Here the vetiver appears detached from its material substance: fleeting, oily, full and earthy. No jumps in the air, but a measure and a middle. A day with perfect weather: the sun neither hot nor bright, a few clouds, little wind, a lot of silence. Wooden bench and book. Plenty of time. And one more thing: Sel de Vétiver.
2.5
2.5

Cel-Ray Vetiver?...
Sel de Vetiver opens with a brief squirt of fresh grapefruit. After the opening, the grapefruit turns slightly sour and the vetiver heart notes begin to dominate in full force. This vetiver is of the rooty variety with an almost celery-like accord joining it. There is actually a slight touch of sweetness in the scent, most likely the result of patchouli being added to the mix in the base, combining with the still starring vetiver. Projection is minimal, and longevity is relatively brief at 3-4 hours.

I loved the opening of Sel de Vetiver, but the celery accord mixed with the rooty vetiver in its heart did not mesh with my preferences (as I hate celery). This is not a bad minimalist composition at all, and I could see many others liking it... That said, while I respect the effort, I can't recommend it as there are so many better scents in the vetiver category out there that don't remotely smell like Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray soda. 2.5 to 3 out of 5 stars.

Sitting on a Pier at the Seashore on a Cool Day
Well, this is a pleasant surprise! With a name like SEL DE VETIVER, what could one realistically expect? In fact, this creation by The Different Company really is quite different. A refreshing vetiver with a very detectable salt note which offers all of the refreshment of sitting out at the end of a pier at the seashore on a cool day. The vetiver is there like the planks of wood that form the pier, and as the waves crash rhythmically on the shore, they create a mist which dries on my face, leaving a fine salt layer behind.

This is a unique take on the classic vetiver cologne. A great example of "less is more"! Or, perhaps more aptly, in this case: "a skillful blend hides most of its notes..."

by Kovex
by Gerus525
by Gerus525
by Merlina
by Merlina
A vetiver that binds to salt and creates a good marine environment

Popular The Different Company

Collection Excessive - Oud Shamash by The Different Company Collection Excessive - Oud For Love by The Different Company Pure eVe - Just Pure / Pure Virgin by The Different Company Bois d'Iris by The Different Company Jasmin de Nuit by The Different Company Oriental Lounge by The Different Company L'Esprit Cologne - Tokyo Bloom by The Different Company Osmanthus by The Different Company Une Nuit Magnétique - All Night Long by The Different Company Collection Excessive - I miss Violet by The Different Company L'Esprit Cologne - Majaĩna Sin by The Different Company De Bachmakov by The Different Company L'Esprit Cologne - Kâshân Rose by The Different Company Sens & Bois / Un Parfum des Sens & Bois by The Different Company Sublime Balkiss by The Different Company Charmes & Feuilles / Un Parfum de Charmes & Feuilles by The Different Company L'Esprit Cologne - South Bay by The Different Company Adjatay - Cuir Narcotique by The Different Company Bergamote / Divine Bergamote by The Different Company Santo Incienso - Sillage Sacré by The Different Company