A*Men / Angel Men by Mugler / Thierry Mugler
Bottle Design: Thierry Mugler
A*Men is a perfume by Mugler / Thierry Mugler for men and was released in 1996. The scent is sweet-gourmand. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Clarins.

Jacques Huclier

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Coriander, Lavender, Peppermint
Heart Notes Heart NotesHoney, Jasmine, Caramel, Lily-of-the-valley, Patchouli, Cedarwood
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Benzoin, Coffee, Musk, Sandalwood, Styrax, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 24.05.2019

4.0/10

Crystom
Sandro, no more blind buying
Wow.

Now I've been romping around on Parfumo for a few weeks and thanks to your reviews and writer-like comments, I'm getting a lot more buy than I was before. My skin and my surroundings are happy - my wallet less. Item.

Yesterday I read in a magazine that my discounter nearby is setting up a stand in front of the discounter this week, which sells brand perfume at fair prices. So let's go.

So if I'm standing there, I don't even know exactly what I'm gonna buy. "Hmm, what have you seen/read on Parfumo a few times? I did, I did, I did - MOMENT. What's with the blue star on it?! I know that from somewhere, don't I?" Price was reduced by almost 50%. Okay, let's go. Blind purchase. It'll be all right.

When I get home, I spray something on my wrist. YOUNG. What... is... that. Something in this top note doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm almost disgusted. Well, wait and see. An hour later, I still have this unpleasant fragrance on my wrist. NO - NOT LIKE THIS! I need to wash this off. It can't be.

Now I'm going to read through what the scents are like. Bergamot mhh not bad. Lavender mhh not bad. Peppermint interesting. CORIANDER?! Wait a minute, what?! What makes you think that (sorry my opinion) by far the most repulsive thing there is to put in a perfume? No, I'm good.

There are people who love this perfume - I'm definitely not :)

By the way, on Sundays I go to my parents for dinner, Dad can smell it and if he likes - please!
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Calibraman82
SWEET SWEETEST SWEETEST :_)
This is an absolute classic, have known the fragrance for years or wear it for years
Some find it smells like cotton candy but A MEN is with the strongest long-lasting intense fragrance

I used to love A MEN like until now today

would say 70 % find A MEN good

30% find it too sweet too violent too heavy

BUT the 70 percent who find A MEN good
the rave love him

lg from m POTT

8.0 9.0 10.0 8.0/10

Extreme caution here
I really love A*Men DNA's. In their majority, they're very masculine. But this one, is one of the strongest (if not the strongest) for me. You just can't "exist" without being noticed with this one. VERY strong presence.
Not that cheap, but it has to be in my collection. I got it some time ago. I don't have enough experience to describe every single fragrance exactly as it is, but it's a nice one. Only for gentlemen, if you ask me. Very careful with the trigger and if you don't want to kill someone, make a use of it in the late fall and winter.
Performance.. No joke bro. EASILY 12+ hours with a projection that makes its own way in any crowd. (easily over 3 hours). I don't often go for it, but when I do, I apply 2 sprays MAX. Sometimes, even 1 spray on the chest area it's more than enough. It can be too strong for many. Be careful with it.
Overall : 8/10
10.0 8.0 10.0 10.0/10

Respect for Thierry Mugler's A*Men
For a long time I have been on a journey into my olfactory past. She begins in the 70s with the perfumes of grandma and mother. Then follow the 80s with their first own purchases of pocket money. A*Men falls in the mid 90s, time of career entry.
What attracted me to the perfumery at that time was the unusual bottle made of black rubber and the beautiful blue, transparent star.
A few days ago a bottle of A*Men arrived here and like every time it was a special, very exciting moment to smell again what I liked very much decades ago. After all, perception is no longer the same. But once again I was certainly not disappointed!
The top note, which remains and works relatively long, was not so strong, angular, fresh and herbaceous in my memory. Here I particularly notice mint. And coriander. It's probably responsible for the somewhat irritating angularity.
Then finally the sweet phase begins, which I loved at that time so much: Caramel, honey and - so that it doesn't get too sweet - earthy patchouli. Just warm and cozy.
After about 10 hours there was still an absolutely amazingly authentic coffee note to smell and vanilla.
I like the A*Men's well traceable fragrance, individual components are easy to smell. It's a pleasure to pursue that in itself. I associate this fact with terms such as honesty, down-to-earthness and directness. This perfume does not swagger and tweak around, it shows a high presence and clarity and demands attention.
For me, the blue waters of the stars - beyond the bitter opening - are absolutely unisex. For women who are looking for gourmand sweetness, without twitchiness and dolliness.
At that time I was often asked about this olfactory masterpiece and it was also bought later. I'm curious to see how it will go now - twenty years later.
Thierry Mugler is a brave artist. He dared something. In his fashion, in his costumes (see Madonna) and in his private life. As far as I can see, I would say that the fragrances launched under his name were also innovative and - because of their strength and unusualness - courageous. Success proves him right. I have respect for that and think that Mugler fragrances will accompany and enrich us for some time to come
8.0 9.0 9.0 9.5/10

AmberScent
Amen... This little life of mine, I'm gonna let it shine...
Unquestionably A*Men is a fragrance industry landmark. Being a landmark does not guarantee success for all eternity.Tabu by Dana is another landmark but it's practically unwearable by today's standards. So one question may arise: How good is A*Men still?

The best basic way to define A*Men is to call it a gourmand perfume. Gourmands are a 21st century trend but 18 years already went by the gate of time since this perfume was released
If we look at recent perfumary, Paco Rabanne released 1 Million Privé and Lucky with a reasonable success. Pure XS and Invictus Intense did not gain high scores by the reviewers but are a sales success.
Carolina Herrera 212 VIP Black follows the steps of Pure XS, with low review ratings but with high sales.
Yves Saint Laurent, besides watering down La Nuit de l'Homme in every reformulation, launched a brand new perfume family with "Y". Yes, again a sweet fragrance with bad ratings and good sales.
Guerlain - my favourite designer - is busy marketing its latest men line of fragrances.... yes, it's L'Homme Ideal, another very sweet family indeed.
So it is an easy conclusion that, for the time being, a gourmand or sweet scent is very up to date in what market demand is concerned.
A*Men has a remarquable sequit of valuable flankers. Pure Havane, Pure Malt and Pure Tonka, to name just a few, are market successes and part of that success is related with being part of the A*Men team.Its A*Men DNA also reflects the appraisal that A*Man - the perfume - still earns both in terms of critics as well in terms of sales.

A*men opens with a timid accord of bergamot & lavender, and blended with spices.
Its development main strength remains in the heart with very strong caramel and patchouli creating the earthy & sweet backbone of the fragrance.This accord is emphasized by sweet honey, sweet & animalic jasmine and sweet lily-of-the-valley. A touch of cedar is needed for some manly austerity.
In the bottom, benzoin, vanilla and tonka add their share of sweetness but on tom of an styrax-ambery-musky-sandalwood balsamic-woody frame that will ensure the long and pleasant drydown with the remaining sweetness and a touch of aromatic coffee.
The reaction to this blending and development it's really positive. Nevertheless the A*Men scent may induce some polarity as there are keen detractors of it, but in small numbers.
Angel and A*Men are still the Thierry Mugler best sellers. They have an innovative aura, surprising positively the new users from a young generation. Longevity and sillage are way above average increasing the happiness of the younger ones that generally don't care for subtle or non performant fragrances.
A*Men was released ahead of its time, and probably it still is modern enough to outshine many of the newar perfumes. In 2018 Thierry Mugler tried to introduce the masculine version of Alien but apparently without much success or market noise.
As far as I am concerned I do have two backup 100ml bottles. If WW3 begins suddenly I will look for an atomic shelter carrying my bottles of A*Men.

Keep your scents high!

Music? Otis Redding - "Amen"
7.0 6.0 6.0 8.0/10

Special and different
I find the smell very special and also differently than everything what I have smelled so far, the smell does not seem known to me also absolutely, I have never smelled it somewhere before I describe it as spicy, smoky, male. I think I can perceive a tobacco note, even a certain sweet, but not sticky cardboard sweet, somehow different. In terms of durability I think the whole thing lasts about 3 hours, after that it will be relatively close. All in all I like it but very well, rather a winter and autumn fragrance, but you can wear it without problems also to go away in the evening!
6.0 7.0 8.0 7.0/10

I Want To Love It, but Cannot
Angel Men, A*Men, call it what you want, it is good. I originally loved it. Then sadly I found out the Emperor is naked. What I mean is that A*Men has so many similar scents that do it better than A*Men. A*Men is very much a scent that a lot of gourmand copied in some way. Michael Jordan Legend, Cuba Paris Cuba Prestige (Gold), Ralph Lauren Polo Red, Rocawear Evolution, Davidoff The Brillant Game, Salvatore Ferragamo Uomo, Valentino Uomo, Reyane Tradition Wild II, Animale Animale for Men, and a long list of other scents offer what A*Men does in some way. I own all of them so it makes my A*Men kind of redundant. The bottle sucks unless you just get the glass. The rubber "flask" is hard to spray unless you modify it. Also as the more I use it, I find it abrasive. Not with the infamous tar accord like many, but it just comes off super balsamic to me. Rocawear Evolution I find balsamic, but not to this level.

That said, I would say of you are looking for something unique, Amen is just that. Amen is a mix of many different gourmand so it may get you compliments at parties or dates during cooler months, about October/November through April. It's still a powerhouse and lasts at least 10 hours on your skin without showering.

That said it isn't for me and I love sweets scents honestly. Animale Animale for Men is a less gourmand A*Men, Cuba Prestige is a less abrasive A*Men, Tradition Wild II while a near perfect clone of a flanker is very capable in most situations you can use A*Men, Polo Red is less cloying and intimate, Ferragamo Uomo is more welcoming, MJ Legend is very work friendly. You get the point.

I think this is a good purchase if you don't have similar scents to it. It has the unique factor, it has the performance factor, but for me it is too much. And don't get me wrong, I do really like aspects of A*Men
6.0 8.0 9.0 7.5/10

Love or Hate...
Such a unique smell. Chocolate & Patchouli coupled with Coffee & Caramel. I think the main thing here is that the sweetness of the gourmand aspects are counterbalanced by the patchouli note. Without this note (and the tar as well), then this fragrance would be nauseatingly sweet. I think this is a very clever concept on the part of the perfumer.

When I first tried this, I was taken aback by the harshness of the first spray. It seems like the tar, lavender and patchouli dominate all within the first 30-40 mins. It's only until later that the coffee, chocolate and caramel blend into the composition beautifully, leaving a wonderful chocolate skin scent by the very end.

Angel Men/A*Men is a fragrance which takes you on a journey. It's not always apparent from the start where you will end up, but it's worth the wait. I would say if you are trying this for the first time, then please give it time to develop on skin. I think you must like chocolate or gourmand fragrances to warm up to this one. I am impressed and I think it's good value for money. Maybe don't over spray but nevertheless the coffee & chocolate caramel drydown at the end is irresistible and well worth the patchouli and lavender phase in my opinion. Great overall fragrance and one which was a trendsetter in perfumery. Definitely worth a try.

a men
personally i cant live without wearing fragrances every day and every hours of my life ,but if this should be the only one perfume existing ,i absolutely didnt buy it,it simply makes me vomit,i find it aggressive ,and smells like medicine

Too Strong
This stuff is too too strong. Not so catchy. Projection is beast. I dont think this is worth for the price.
5.0 10.0 10.0 7.0/10

Sweeeeeeeet!
Well this is a very well known gourmand scent.

I can smell caramel and vanilla mostly.

Smells great indeed, but sometimes gets cloying. So it's better to avoid it in hot days.

If you like sweet fragrances, this is a must have. If you dont, please stay away. Despite its extremely sweet, it's very masculine in my opinion.

This is the forerunner of many masculine sweet scents that were recently released like 1 Million, Black XS and many others.

Lasting power, sillage and projection are great/huge/hazardous.

Updated January 2014
5.0 10.0 10.0 4.0/10

Rubber Chocolates
I only just noticed that Thierry Mugler A*MEN or ANGEL FOR MEN was first produced way back in 1996. That fact alone causes me to pause before launching into a negative review. This must have been one of the first men's fragrances to serve up sweets while holding on to manliness, here in the form of the scent of a new car interior. Thankfully the axle grease of Dior FAHRENHEIT is nowhere to be sniffed. Rather than the mechanic, the gent in question here is the car dealer, as smooth as Ricky Roma and ready to take his prospective customer out for a test drive in a slick model, one of the virtues of which, he insists, is that "Chics dig it."

Does it work? Well, that all depends on your views on rubber chocolates. To me, it's close to a scrubber, but I dislike rubber notes in perfume and could not bring myself to acquire even a small bottle of the famous Bvlgari BLACK, though I have liked most of the Bvlgari perfumes (well, up until the OMNIA series, the beginning of that house's rapid descent). I tested Bvlgari BLACK, and it was headache material for me.

In the case of A*MEN, the same sort of weird sweet vanilla and rubber scent is simply too contradictory for me to be able to stomach. Maybe because I hate artificial food in general and eschew "foodstuffs" filled with science fiction-inspired ingredients. So naturally when I smell rubber and vanilla or coffee, which is more dominant than vanilla in A*MEN, my natural inclination is to experience a slight gag reflex.

I purchased a small, 30ml tester bottle of A*MEN to satisfy my curiosity about this scent--it wasn't much more than the price of a sample--and have tried to wear it several times, but for me it has turned out to be no more and no less than a prelude to a bath. To those who don't mind--or perhaps even crave--the smell of rubber mingling in with their gourmand chocolates and coffee, this may work well. I continue to find the scent similar to that of a Starbucks venti spilled as a driver accelerates to a red light before slamming on the brakes.

In a phrase: not a panty dropper.
7.5 10.0 10.0 6.0/10

Drseid
Not A Fan, But Can Appreciate The Quality and Effort Here...
A*Men opens with an immediate blast of coffee grounds and a hint of cinnamon and mint before a strong chocolate note emerges in the heart notes, sweetened by patchouli and tonka bean, with hints of the remaining coffee spiked with honey and even a bit of sweet dark tobacco leaf. The coffee grounds and patchouli hang around into the base notes, while the tonka bean takes an even more prominent role. A*Men is quite potent and projects very well with superb longevity.

Hmm... This is a tough one for me to like as I am not a gourmand fan at all. The scent is very strong, very sweet and edible. These are not qualities I personally look for in a fragrance. That said, the quality is definitely here. There also is a good amount of skill exhibited because the list of notes seems never-ending, and yet somehow it works in a crazy way. I personally do not want to wear or smell this, but I can see the point of view of those that do. I guess I am in the "neutral" camp with A*Men... Quality, just not my kind of quality. 3 stars out of 5.

jtd
the wrong side of gourmand
A*Men is saved from a thumbs-down by my own cautiousness. Not wanting to dog this fragrance for circumstances out of its control, I’m not giving the negative rating that I otherwise would have. The last time I wore A*Men, I applied it a half hour before launching into a 24-hour GI virus. The sensation of retching and the scent of A*Men are now gloriously bound in my nervous system. Oh, the irony of fusing a gourmand fragrance and gastric distress.

But here’s what I thought pre-emesis: This is a gender bias on my own part, but there’s Angel (clever, quick and wonderfully badly-behaved) and there’s A*Men (a clod.) In trying to recalibrate the notes of Angel and sell it to the boys, Mugler fell prey to the mistake of all the Angel-imitators. It’s not the flavors, it’s the composition.

There’s an irony to a 24 year-old woman wearing the short-skirted catholic schoolgirl look. The look carries its own slight misalignment that, despite relying on a conceptual pedophilia, is socially acceptable. It’s ‘good’ pervy because we stuff all the potential negatives into the large bag of justifications marked “fantasy” and allow ourselves to feel the thrill but not the guilt. Take the above description and exchange man for woman. The vaguely askew but not socially line-crossing feel becomes invisible next to the social anathema of gender borrowing. Such a simple act triggers a fascinating, learned emotional response. The classic two male witness/audience reactions are: 1) stare, because something terrible is about to happen, or, 2) look the other way, because if you’re caught looking, you’re participating. #2 is probably the more common and more visceral response because of the inferred next step: if you’re looking, and he looks back and makes eye contact, by the rules of straight manhood, you have acknowledged him as your object of desire and are queer.

It’s not the skirt; it’s the intention and the modulation of the reference. A*Men misses the point of Angel and looks to her list of ingredients, not her bad behavior, for inspiration.
10.0 7.5 7.0/10

Masculine dark chocolate
A*Men is the male equivalent of Angel, to put it bluntly. It has all that chocolatey goodness with a touch more richness to give it that masculine touch.

If Angel is milk chocolate, A*Men is dark, bitter chocolate. I dare say that I prefer A*Men over the very controversial and very popular Angel.

Despite the fact that this fragrance has been emulated many times, for example, Very Irresistible for Men by Givenchy, this is a truly unforgettable scent.

A*Men is somewhat linear. Throughout most of its wear it smells like a perfect blend of golden syrup, dark chocolate, coffee, musty patchouli, lavender and rich amber.

Only in the drydown does it change ever so slightly into a musky, chocolate powder type scent.

A*Men intrigued me with its darkness and rich chocolatey notes which you don't expect to smell on a man. All men seem to wear these days are those predictable fresh and citrusy scents. It was nice to smell A*Men for a change.

If you're looking for a stronger, more classic version of A*Men, I do recommend the classic Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels. It has that strong chocolate note without the sweetness.

Talking about strength, A*Men lasts for a very long time. The sillage is also phenomenal, very strong, so beware. I wouldn't be game enough to wear this in Summer, but for Winter, despite its popularity, it is a wonderfully unique and sensual choice. I urge the ladies not to dismiss wearing this fragrance either. Do not let the name fool you into thinking it is just for men.

GabrielCE 72 days ago
Solid scent, reasonable price and excellent performance are everything this perfume has in addition to the sweetened smell of burnt wood ;)+1
AJG 86 days ago
Any one. Any where. any time. A favourite.
Top 5+1
AmberScent 174 days ago
A load of caramel & patchouli are behind the A*Men revolution back in 1996. This is the first 21st century perfume arriving 5 years early.+3
Carlitos01 7 months ago
A*Men father of 18 flankers, I praize you for 22 years of satifactory nasal services. Thanks for the caramel, patchouli, coffee and vanilla.+3
10.0
Elysium 9 months ago
2018 version is a bit different from 1996 one. The newer has a core alike Twinings Chamomile Lemon & Honey, the original was more powdery.+3
Hajuvana 12 months ago
I hated it in the 90s - I thought it was preposterous. Now, it's sunny & 25°C in Helsinki, I'm rocking 7 sprays & it's working like a drug.+4

by Mojtaba
by Nyze29
by Nyze29
by LemonDelight
by LemonDelight
überbordende, dunkelkomplexe Süße - Mugler A*men (1996)
by Parma