Alien Essence Absolue (2012)

Alien Essence Absolue by Mugler / Thierry Mugler
Bottle Design: Thierry Mugler
Alien Essence Absolue is a popular perfume by Mugler / Thierry Mugler for women and was released in 2012. The scent is sweet-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Clarins.

Top Notes Top NotesHeliotrope, Iris, Jasmine
Heart Notes Heart NotesCashmeran, Myrrh
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla absolute, White amber

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 14.10.2018

Sillage 9.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
Alien in a wonderful vanilla dress
I tested it once a few months ago. He didn't agree with me at the time. Since the smell changes sometimes, I gave him a second chance. I'm very happy about that.

The typical alien DNA is present, but delicate (I think that alone is great). The wonderful vanilla note, although in the base, appears very early (at least on my skin). The fragrance becomes slightly powdery after a short time. A beautiful sweetness, which does not come along sticky, fits super to this smell. It's great in general, but it's a real hit: delicate DNA, vanilla, slightly powdery, pleasantly sweet. Back then I thought he was ok, now I love him.

Anyone who likes vanilla fragrances and wants a softer alien DNA should test it
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
A Warmer Alien
Alien Esscen Absolue shares the same base with the original Alien but stands out on its own with a very distinctive note. Unfortunately this note turned my stomach over. It smelt like rotten tomate layered on Alien on me. But if it works with your chemistry and you're a fan of Alien, I think it worths a try. It captures the spirit of the original Alien but still different enough to add in one's collection. The sillage and the longevity is typical TM quality, nice!

Originally written in 2013
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10
Alien Essence Absolue 2012
What is there to say about Alien Absolue.
Well first off...i adore Alien and just when i thought i began to love Womanity more lately I am really starting to become more fond of Alien. Alien Absolue is no exception. So let's get started with the Pro's and Con's.
Pro's:
Alien Absolue is more of the heart and base of the original Alien fragrance.It starts out with the amazing Jasmine but then it quickly transforms into the delicious Vanilla and Amber and stays there for the remainder of the fragrance.It is very similar to Angel Liquor 2009 so much so i am happy they have released it if you loved Alien liquor 2009 but couldn't get it. If you feel the original Alien was too sharp for you this release is a crowd pleaser and will not offend. The bottle is gorgeous and unique with its golden yellow liquid. I think this fragrance is worth the purchase if you have never tried Alien and couldn't handle the original.
Con's:
I found that when i tried this in person at the mall it was more intense than what i received from the Mugler online store and i mean seriously an all together fragrance than what i received..what i tested smelled more of like a pure parfume version versus what i got..which disappointed me a lot. I was expecting the same intensity and did not get it. Which makes me really question what happened outside with lighting vs pure parfums offered on displays for testing versus the what you really receive which is only an EDP version..it's not unheard of and is used as a marketing technique to lure the customer to buy the fragrance. I have heard many cases of this happening versus how something is stored...a person knows their fragrances if they have smelled them and been around them long enough...I know, I know a real shocker but don't be surprised when this happens to you because it does happen at times..people will tell you its lighting but its not..just go online and you will see many people complain of the same thing and many insiders admit that this is done at times..don't let it ruin your over all fragrance experience..just keep on moving to the next fragrance.. Anyways..so outside of that major disappointment...the fragrance did not win me over from what i originally smelled at the counter..what i smelled at the counter was so intense and extreme it surpassed the original Alien because the Vanilla and Amber were so intense and so long lasting that it left such an impression on me that i had to buy it and waited patiently to finally get it like a little kid getting their first toy LOL...but seriously it was that good and then what i got was just a basic EDP. Which is fine but it didn't wow me. In the end i feel that my Alien Liquor from 2009 is better than what i got..in matter of fact the original Alien is better than this and now i feel like i should have gotten the original Alien instead and probably will when i get a chance just to make myself feel better about the whole ordeal LOL. You know how us women are!Plus i wish we got more for what we paid for meaning i wish they had it in 3-3.4 full oz's versus only 2oz's now. And if you really love this fragrance you will wish that too!
So...I think Absolue is a wonderful fragrance overall especially for those who can't stomach the original Alien and if you love Vanilla and Amber your going to adore this fragrance and I may keep it as an addition to my collection just in case i can't get Alien Liquor 2009 anymore being one it's a limited edition and they don't make it anymore and two that the 2013 version of Alien Liquor has changed its notes slightly and its not the same as 2009 and Alien Absolue is the closest thing to it that i can get permanently from the Mugler line. But i prefer the original classic Alien over this version and do not believe it is more intense than the original version and think they should have named it something other than intense because over all this is a more wearable version than the original but to me the original is more wearable because i love loud fragrances because to me in my opinion they last longer and your definitely going to have a better experience with the sillage overall. But because this will be a crowd pleaser i know this will be a success and hit for the Mugler fans. As with any Mugler fragrances though you will not be disappointed it will be worth the money..you get what you pay for. It is long lasting and the sillage is good versus the old the sillage is great. But with this one you may disagree and feel like the sillage is just right because the original is very loud so you will know what suits you the best! Enjoy!
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 9.0/10
Definitely Alien
Disclaimer: I an Alien girl, the original is my signature, and so far I have loved all of the flankers that I've smelled, too. So I am definitely partial. With that in mind, I agree with the previous reviewers. This is essentially a richer, more mature and rounded Alien, not to mention more expensive and with a narrower product range.

For me, the vanilla is instantly discernible amid the blast of jasmine, but the jasmine subsides a lot faster than in the original, giving way to the softer, deeper notes. Wood and amber are there, and apparently incense, myrrh and orris root as well in the best oriental tradition. It lacks the original Alien's occasional harshness, but is not for the faint of heart either: at least for me, it drowns out other perfumes easily. An excellent autumn/winter scent.

I generally like flankers when they are well made, because I like having different takes on my favourite fragrances to wear for different occasions without having to deviate from my signature. If you were underwhelmed or repulsed by the original, you probably won't care for this one, either. In the end this perfume rises and falls with Alien. I love both, but not enough to warrant buying both as full bottles. Essence Absolue is a close contender with the original for a permanent place in my closet.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 8.0/10
I'm in Heaven....
This is the music that comes to mind, Dancing cheek to cheek...I feel like a fool! Why have I fallen in the Alien trap! It seems to draw me in, with lovely soft kid gloves. I'm always saying that there is no age limits on perfume...and you should always wear what you love, and what suits you. But, I'm almost embarrassed how much I love the both of these versions! Essence has almost the same exact Jasmine opening, as the original Alien...as I have worn both on opposite wrists to compare). It seems to be just a slight degree softer. And, it doesn't rush to the vanilla straight away...the jasmine shines on...and then, the vanilla slinks in..ever so slowly. And what a lovely little vanilla it is! So soft, and creamy..just right. It makes me feel happy wearing it..A very modern fragrance..but, it finally struck me why I love it! It has the longevity of the older perfumes..That's what enticed me in the first place! Essence Absolue has it's own personality...and it's up to you to try it, and decide. It certainly has me hooked..a modern fragrance, which conjures up the music of long ago...
All for one and One for all
Creamy and smooth, very lady-like fragrance that has stolen a lot of hearts. There is a warm, syrupy richness that cannot be dismissed with that ever present kick that has lovers of this house in a trance.

My impression is that it smells a lot like every other Mugler on the market. Sure the Amber is velvety, the Vanilla and Wood are dreamy, but the signature Mugler-aide remains present throughout. This is probably more wearable than many of the others such as Angel and Womanity but it remains too close to comfort to justify the whopping price it demands.

Originality is not a strong suit of this house. I suppose the cult following is partially to blame as this house keeps popping out the same fragrance in a different bottle. I would venture to say that if just for once, they change the flavor and produce something even remotely different, the star status would be lost. As the old saying goes, "If it 'ain't broke don't fix it"

If you've seen one, you've seen them all.

ScentedSalon 21 months ago
Syrupy vanilla/myrrh with perfect sillage and good lasting power. Don't pay $100 for this beauty: it can be had cheaply if you look.+2
Bottle 7.0