Angel (1992) Eau de Parfum

Angel (Eau de Parfum) by Mugler / Thierry Mugler
Bottle Design: Thierry Mugler
Angel (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Mugler / Thierry Mugler for women and was released in 1992. The scent is sweet-gourmand. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Clarins.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Jasmine, Cassia, Coconut, Mandarin, Melon, Cotton candy
Heart Notes Heart NotesApricot, Blackberry, Honey, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Orchid, Peach, Plum, Rose, Red berries
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Caramel, Musk, Patchouli, Chocolate, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by Sani, last update on 16.11.2018

T. Mugler successfully utilised ethylmaltol (first used in "Vanilia" by Artisan Parfumeur in 1978) in a mainstream perfume, thus kick-starting the gourmand genre in 90s. Maltol occurs naturally, e.g. when roasting malt, hence its name. Ehtylmaltol is a synthetic variant which increases the caramel impression four- to sixfold.
Vera Strübi, former president of the Mugler company reports that the bottle's prototype (a 85,000 € design) was not accepted by Mugler. They agreed on the famous star-shape flacon instead but were initially unable to find a glass blowing workshop able to produce it. Furthermore, Strübi and the investors at Clarins disliked the scent and Mugler had to fight for its realisation. The argument that the price per bottle was too high had been refuted with the idea of a refillable vessel.

MisskMissk 7 years ago

„Modern-Day Classic”

You simply can't go wrong with Angel. Being one of the most popular and well-known fragrances in the last 20 years, Angel still manages to stand out in a crowd. This...
Lola82Lola82 7 years ago

„A Fantastic Plastic Lover”

Since it's Release in 1992 Angel has been Revered Repeled Idolised Scroutinized Critizised for it's Synthtic Aesthetics Angel Has to be the most Misunderstood...
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Beware of Angels
I've wanted to review Angel for some time, but the thing is it never was a real love, or even like. I've had samples through the years, some I still have, and I've witnessed the launch. I remember smelling it and thinking "this is weird" or "this smells like chocolate" as a kid, and I've also witnessed Angel change, just as much as I did. It is definitely not the Angel of 1992.

As extreme and avant garde it was when it came out, so was the love or hate for it. I feel is the most polarizing fragrance ever created in its ability to convey utter love or repulse. I've never been on one side, just slightly uncomfortable wearing it, but never repulsed when the mood for it came.

Wearing my 2 year old bottle, and a decade old sample, the first thing I notice is the absence of the hard hitting medicinal patchouli in my recent formulation. Angel of yore was as much patchouli as cotton candy, melon and chocolate. Patchouli so dark it could pass of as chocolate, drizzled with honey, a fruit salad, and cotton candy from the town fair. Extremely strong, most times pungent, and definitely mood driven; just the slightest hint of it on the wrong moment and your day could be ruined. Wearing Angel was a day long compromise. And wearing samples along the years, samples which were easily and freely given, I saw different facets, slight changes, and how that town fair went from night to day.

Buying the current Angel, was mainly because 1) it's a piece of perfumery art, 2) the large rising star bottle is gorgeous and 3) I feel it has lost its extreme personality disorder. While I never enjoy reforms and try to find everything in its most vintage formula, Angel is one I couldn't do back then, nor could I now if it hadn't changed, to me for the better.
Angel is Angel. There's no mistaking it, for better or for worse. It hasn't lost its identity, but it isn't so extreme. The patchouli still feels medicinal and rough, but not in so much volume. The fruits are no longer rotting, they feel like a preserve, and the honey along the candy floss have increased as to cover any unwanted smells. The chocolate facet is still pronounced, but it's now sweeter as well, as opposed to the dark chocolate of the past, and the whole thing feels smoother and less air sucking.

I find that Angel has retained its power and sillage quite well. Where you needed a single spritz or less 20 years ago, now 2 have you covered for the day or night. The lack of extreme opposites that was in the original star bottle makes it far more wearable in all its weirdness and glory. It seems that the 'Carnaval Diabolique' mr. Mugler wanted to convey has finished; it is now morning in that same fair and you smell the remains of last nights performance. There's is also some coffee brewing somewhere in the premises, which you catch glimpses of, along the popcorn smell that was served last night.

So yes, polarizing as it may be, Angel is a landmark of imagination and faith. Mugler along Clarins and Vera Strubi went all the way, believing in, and supporting Angel until it became the hit it is. Or was. And that deserves credit. It started the whole craze for gourmands and sweet edible notes, but Angel was never simple, boring or predictable. It was and still is unique, and the father and mother of the fruitchoulis that flood the market today.
I might never be ready to experience the 1992 Angel again, but what's out there today it is still Angel, and when the mood strikes there's nothing like it.

Edit: Finding a bottle from the first years of release, now I appreciate it more than ever. Vintage Angel is smoother, rounder, better and next to the current, it’s the best of the two. The newer ones now seem shrill, cheap, following trends instead of setting them. Only vintage for me!
When Angel hate turns to Angel love
Launched in 1992, is there anyone who hasn’t heard of or smelled Angel? When it came out, there was nothing like it and people either went bonkers for it or were repulsed. Unfortunately, I was in the latter camp. I absolutely detested the scent, and still recall being trapped behind a lady drenched in it at the grocery store and it annoyed me so much I finally just gave up and left the store. I was like “what is this garishly sweet scent and why would anyone want to wear it??!” Perfume smelled like flowers! Or musk. Or a nice oriental amber. It didn’t smell like food. Especially very weird cotton candy. I just didn’t understand it and catching a whiff of it actually made me angry.

Fast forward 20 years or so.

I was going through a rose phase and was trying every rose fragrance I could get my hands on, and somehow came across Garden of Stars La Rose Angel. I thought what the heck, I will give it a shot. Knowing it was a long shot but it was ROSE! And what do you know....I went absolutely insane for it! Me?? In love with an ANGEL?? After that, I was feeling adventurous and started trying the rest of the Garden of Stars and loved them all. Which led to me trying other Angel flankers and formulations, such as the EDT, and I found myself liking or loving all of them. It was the strangest thing because Angel was my #1 most hated perfume of all time. So, I thought.....I’m going to be brave and try the original and see what I think now. I got some of the EDP and gave it a spray and....my eyes rolled back in my head. It was the most amazing thing I had ever smelled and my favorite version of all.

So, the moral of the story is NEVER write off a perfume. Sometimes it’s just timing, or mood, or hormones, or some type of olfactory evolution during our journey. I don’t know how it happens but yes, you can go from absolutely detesting something to basically being obsessively in love with it.

Created by Olivier Cresp and Yves de Chirin. Top notes are bergamot, melon, coconut, mandarin orange, jasmine, cassis, cotton candy and pineapple; middle notes are caraway, nutmeg, honey, apricot, blackberry, plum, orchid, peach, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, rose and red berries; base notes are tonka bean, vanilla, patchouli, sandalwood, amber, musk, chocolate and caramel.

Winner of award FiFi Award Hall Of Fame 2007.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 9.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
Explosive Fight Between Patchouli and Chocolate/Caramel
I get patchouli all way long from the beginning. The opening smells quite herbal to me and almost freaked me out the first time. Then the sweetness just can't wait and bursts out right away. I swear if I tested on paper I'd drop it down right away. But after about 2 hours, it smells heavenly! The right amount of chocolate, caramel, honey and vanilla is so delicious. The patchouli is no longer fierce but holds perfectly the balance between sweetness and freshness. It's even intriguing as it hides among the sweet notes and tickles your nose when you expect the least. I have to admit I'm still not very used to the first 2 hours but for the lovely drydown I can wait. Fortunately the longevity is excellent for over 12h, it worths! The sillage is good, too. Though it's known as a heavy fragrance, I think with a light touch, the drydown has no problem in summer.

The bottle is cute! But the name Angel doesn't fit that well IMHO. It's sweet but with a dark side hiding behind. Maybe Ange ou Demon should be better distributed to this one? LOL.

Originally written in 2013
An angel clipped of its wings
Did you ever meet a man that you find extremely attractive, even though he is not your type of guy at all? That's how I feel about Angel. I cannot quite make up my mind. All in all I think my like for it is greater than my dislike. I got a lot of citrus notes and some mango notes emerging forcefully through the sweetness. I truly enjoy the fruitiness and sweetness. But something feels, or rather smells, not quite right to me to truly enjoy it. Maybe it's the patchouli that puts me off. I realized that patchouli is not something I like when it comes through with a real whammy. All in all, I like the fragrance enough to use it here and there, but I will not re-purchase. Well, I really just wear it once in a blue moon anyhow, so it doesn't look like I will EVER run out of it, hence making a re-purchase redundant.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 1.0/10
Fallen Angel
At the outset, I'd like to apologize to all of you who think Mugler's Angel is da bomb.

This is a negative review. I tested it again today, and I still cannot see how this is labeled as a sweet gourmand!!! It is not sweet at all to me! The first note I smell is very menthol, almost like Vick's Vapo Rub. Then it dries down to a burnt rubber smell. It is very, very synthetic on me. I have tried several times to like it, thinking something will change--even testing at different stores!--but it just makes me nauseous. This doesn't smell like any angel I could imagine, except for a fallen angel.

The sillage and longevity are, as others have noted, quite remarkable. Even after scrubbing my hand, I can still smell it--it is extremely masculine. I do love the bottle and would like to add it to my collection. Such a shame.
Bottle 7.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
Perfect Gourmand...
A true beauty here. This is one which I expected to be a monster, but it really turned out to be sublime in it's smell and performance. I tried the male version first, which I found extremely harsh and almost cloying, with a screechy tar note and heavy patchouli. This in the other hand, is perfect for me.

One thing I like about Angel is that the notes are blended perfectly to my nose. The patchouli, chocolate, caramel, vanilla and honey are all perfect. To me no one overwhelms the other too much. There are elements of candy floss, fruits, berries and tonka bean that show up as well (all of which I love). It's one hell of a gourmand, and I love it!

It's a fragrance which I would love smelling on people and wearing also. I find it a lot more wearable than the men's version, and it just feels "done right" to my nose. Probably best in cooler weather in my opinion, but could probably be worn year round with measured spraying. I think this isn't the beast that people make it out to be (at least to me)... so give it a try!
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 7.5/10
A Polarising Fragrance Everyone Should Try at Least Once
Believe it or not, I only first heard of Angel's existence a couple of years ago despite that it has been around since 1992! I began reading reviews of Angel soon afterward. The reviews were polarising to say the least. It seemed reviewers either loved or hated Angel with little in between. Everyone did agree that the patchouli note in Angel was the most prominent of all, and many reviewers described it as the smell of body odour, which needless to say was a bit off putting. I am not a great lover of patchouli, and that fact alone rather frightened me away for a long, long time. However, I continued to hear Angel mentioned a lot, and I continued to read the newest reviews, and more and more I began to think I should at least try it, but I never seemed to do so.

Finally, a few weeks ago, I was at the chemist's shop and saw a dupe of Angel. I thought I might at least try the dupe whilst I was there, and so I generously spritzed each arm, and to my surprise and delight, I liked it! The dupe was very good albeit I subsequently discovered that it is not as long lasting, and it does not have the same projection and sillage one finds in the real Angel. I then went to a department store and tested the real Angel EdP on my skin, and once the top notes settled down, I liked it. Angel's top notes do have a certain "bug spray" quality to them according to my nose, but then again, my nose is not very well tutored, so this observation should not be taken too literally. My nose may be the blame instead of Angel being the blame for my perceived "bug spray" smell.

The patchouli is definitely the most dominant and the most persistent note to my nose. I have read that the patchouli is as strong as it is in order to counteract all of the very sweet notes such as chocolate, caramel, candy floss, sweet flowers and sweet fruits. Aside from the patchouli and perhaps the dark chocolate, I was unable to pick out many of the other individual notes. All I knew was that given a bit of time, Angel dried down to a quite pleasant albeit a very unusual fragrance. I found the dry down slightly sweet and chocolatey but not nearly as sweet as some reviewers have claimed it to be. The projection, sillage, and longevity all turned out to be quite good, too. I ended up purchasing the EdP and the body creme with no regrets whatsoever.

I think Angel EdP will work well in cool weather, but I am not as sure about hot weather, so I decided to purchase the EdT for the warm weather months. I find the EdT to be a less intense version of Angel, and I do not think it is masculine at all. I recommend you try Angel on your skin a few times to give it a chance. Like myself, you may find that you quite like it, and it may end up a nice and very unique addition to your collection. One thing is certain, and that is that Angel is unlike anything else you have probably ever smelt before. So, I now own the EdT, EdP, and the body creme. I find that the body creme is the best smelling of the three. It is richer, creamier, warmer, and deeper. I very highly recommend the body creme. If you like Angel EdP, you will LOVE the body creme.

Although I cannot pick out all of Angel's notes, I list them here for your review:

Top Notes: Melon, Coconut, Mandarin Orange, Cassia, Jasmine, Bergmot, and Cotton Candy. (I do not distinguish any of these top notes by the way.)

Heart Notes: Honey, Apricot, Blackberry, Plum, Orchid, Peach, Jasmine, Lily of the Valley, Red Berries, and Rose.

Base Notes: Tonka Bean, Amber, Patchouli, Musk, Vanilla, Dark Chocolate, and Caramel.

I pick up more of the base notes than any others, particularly patchouli, a bit of dark chocolate, vanilla, musk, and amber. I cannot distinguish any caramel in Angel unfortunately as I like caramel.

I hope this review will help its readers to decide whether or not they wish to try Angel. If you do try it, keep an open mind about it, and try it more than one time in more than one type of weather. It is not the "average" parfum of any known category. It is categorised as an "Oriental Vanilla," but it is unlike any other Oriental Vanilla I have ever smelt. In fact, I would venture to say that Angel is in a category all by itself, much like Shakespeare in literature. I LOVE the star shaped bottle, too. : )
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
not child's play
I do not understand why so many negative qualifications , Angel , is a perfect perfume, has great longevity, silage and projection, has a fragrance and timeless aroma , in my male skin it becomes less sweet, more powder and perfume with gourmand scent with a patcholi powder and camphor , along with a bitter chocolate, do not feel boring , he's strong , imposing and lasting , those who like soft little things will never like a beast like this, who tamed refers to many excelent feelings . People are accustomed to use true " chayote water" which give 10 sprayed , Angel , Opium , Kouros, Amarige , are perfumes that require more care in the amount of sprayed , more careful in the climate, and are not child's play .
Controversialist confection
Tension created by the mixture of edible and inedible notes is what gives the gourmand genre its particular interest. The mind isn't sure how to react to something that says 'eat me' and 'don't eat me' at the same time.

Angel takes this effect one unsavoury step further with its red fruit syrup, candy floss and caramel served up with plummy rose and white flowers, dark chocolate, mothballs, bitter wood and mouldy rot.

The original, most distinctive and probably still the best gourmand on the planet. Certainly the most wicked.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
Boom!!
Dynamite in a bottle. Very strong oriental for extreme pachouli lovers. I think it has its character a must item for perfume collectors. Extra extra longevity and sillage. One single drop is enough to create a smelling cloud following you. Even if there are many negative comments I like it. Nice bottle too.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
Never fear it!
And I never fear wearing it! It is a "body builder" . The more it develops the more it embraces you like no other scent. Playful and sober, gourmand and delicate, strong and diaphane at the same time.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
Angel-Fried Cotton Candy At A Summer County Fair
A warm, dark candy scent that reminds me of an expensive chocolate bar that's melted over and mixed into fried cotton candy at a summer county fair on a very hot, humid night. You dip your fingers into this outrageous candy delight in the night air, enjoy the sweet taste sensations while your other senses are assaulted by the lights and sounds of the carnival. There's a sensory overload that you put yourself through because you want to, because you like where you are, knowing you want to absorb everything that's there. That's what Angel is all about.
This is an inviting scent that lingers for a number of hours with a dark chocolate liquor flavor. About one hour into settling, Angel gets comfortable, drunk on cherry chocolates, languid, sweet and syrupy. After its run of about eight hours, she quietly slips away. Her booziness is gone.
When I first went to inquire about this perfume, the SA at Macy's told me she had so many complaints about this complex fragrance, she was hesitant to have me spray-test it on myself. She instead handed me a number of samples with judicious eyes and told me to try it out at home.
I have absolutely no complaints about this complicated frag. It's different and I like that. It's a gourmand and you must enjoy a food type fragrance if you will associate yourself with Angel. There are so many delicious notes for your skin to absorb from Thierry Mugler's scent each time you apply it, you really should give it a try a few times to see what flavors become you.
As with any frag, especially a gourmand, go lightly. Unless you go to bed with it. Then you get to snuggle to your own delight with as many sprays as you'd like, cuddle up to it and enjoy the scent.
I find the bottle a pleasing addition to my own perfumery. Art deco in design maybe, modernistic perhaps, certainly not run-of-the mill. Definitely a keeper.
The notes that are prominent for me are coconut, bergamot, cotton candy, plum, red berries, tonka bean, amber, patchouli, musk, vanilla, chocolate and caramel. This is a quite a mix. I like it when I'm in the mood.
Scent 8.0/10
Complicated
I've tried Angel several times at the store. Every time, it smells different on me. I get many different notes wafting through, from caramel to cotton candy, then fruity notes, patchouli. The first hour I wear it is awful...but then in the dry down it turns into something delicious...the problem is, I don't want to endure it that long. Angel is like the mood ring of perfumes as I think it is entirely dependant on body chemistry and mood. Do not buy this perfume without trying it more than once.
what a mess
Oh Angel, you smelly pirate hooker you! Down and dirty patchouli mingling with dark chocolate rolled in dust. Time and time again, I smell this fragrance trailing behind an anosmic shopper at the mall or an office worker...and it never smells pleasant to me. I sampled this on my skin, thinking maybe if I sprayed it and waved my hand under it (letting the mist fall lightly on my skin), the scent would be somewhat pleasant or more tolerable.

NOPE.

It is still very heavy and attacking the senses, my frenemy patchouli showing its mean and ugly side--so unclean and cloying with the bitter chocolate note. This perfume is meant for the loud, proud, adventurous sort (or someone who can appreciate/enjoy being around such people). I am very much an introvert; Angel and I are never meant to be. I'll stick to the sugarbombs I know and love.
Must be midlife crisis, lol
I only recently got into Angel, and considering the number of years I've been into perfume, it's almost criminal, lol. Angel was everywhere, I had to wait for the mass obsession to wear off before I could give it a try.
This stuff is STRONG. One spray and you can cause migraines and nausea in every person in a 10 mile radius.

And yet... If you don't spray but only dab a couple times (no more than that!) and wait half an hour, you get what Angel was meant to be: soft, tentalizing, a little naughty and just plain yummy.
I don't understand why it is sold in a spray bottle, frankly the spray is what has caused so many people to turn into rabid pitbulls: it's just too much.
Sprayed Angel is like a badly aged, drunken sewer drag queen on a rampage: She'll chase you down and exhale her furious halitosis in your face until she brands your memory with a nasty case of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Dabbed on Angel is all whispers, giggles and sighs, cuddly to no end, pervasive, lingering but gentle, youthful and absurdly pretty, full of charm, really. But you CANNOT overdo Angel, or her fairytale magic turns into a nefarious nightmare of epic proportions. And the bitch simply does not forgive, EVER.

... Sure enough, I find myself going back to this one more and more often, because I am a trace, minute amount wearer, so Angel likes me.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 0.0/10
Dessert for Zombies
This masterpiece of modern perfumery smells like a blast of overly ripe soon to be rancid fruit compote sprinkled with stale cinnamon powder and a touch of rose liqueur, surrounded by grotesquely indolic jasmine bouquet with cloying tropical orchid accord woven through the indoles, resting on a monstrous base of caramel, sickeningly sweet melted vanilla ice cream drips hardening on the kitchen counter, moldy old hershey’s chocolate kisses left over from last Christmas, and the overwhelming odor of musty graveyard dirt from an old cemetery.

Angelic isn’t it? BAH. I wouldn’t even want this sprayed on my corpse.
Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 6.0/10
Behemoth
Angel lumbered onto the perfume scene in the early 1990s, trampling wimpy aquatics and waifish florals in its path like Dumbo the big blue elephant. In retrospect, Angel's launch marked the beginning of the slow rise of sweet, gourmand perfumes and the corresponding rejection by the masses of sourish oakmoss chypres, although the IFRA certainly played a part in their demise.

If you love Angel as I sometimes do, it is a ground-breaking, brilliant fusion of masculine and feminine, light and darkness that deserves a place alongside the likes of Coty's Chypre and Shalimar. However, familiarity inevitably breeds contempt, and after being smothered by Angel applied without restraint, as well as its legion of imitators, Angel often strikes me as a demonic combination of cheap candy, spoiled fruit and mothballs. Say what you will about Angel, it is impossible to be indifferent to this perfume's beauty/ugliness.
jtd
aahhh, Angel
Pervasive instability of mood, impulsive aggressiveness, a frantic drive not to be alone, serial crises. Yes, Angel, it’s borderline personality disorder.
"In the arms of an Angel"
When? Where? Why? There's much to consider before submitting to the essence of Angel. Temperature, season, mood, atmosphere and occasion... or most importantly, who are you wearing it for? This is very expensive fragrant lingerie that must be worn properly in order to be appreciated. Chocolate-dipped sparkling tropical fruits, honeyed orchids, caramel glazed amber, foreign jasmine and an appealing base of sensual vanilla and patchouli. Bold, sexy and intense.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 3.0/10
Perfumic Equivalent of Garbage Pizza
Imagine being invited to a friend's house as a young child. Her mother offers you a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. But then she realizes that she's out of peanut butter, so she slabs some Welches grape jelly on a couple of pieces of white Wonderbread and serves it to you anyway. You're starving, so you scarf down a couple of bites quickly. Suddenly, after swallowing the first bite, while the second is still in your mouth, you are filled with a sense of malaise. There is something wrong. Something dreadfully wrong. And it's not just that there's no peanut butter in your PBJ.

You open up the sandwich and lo and behold you discover a big glob of green mold sitting in the middle of the bread, clearly visible through the translucent purple jelly. You have now eaten two bites of the sandwich. Your appetite is ruined. You inquire as to the location of the bathroom...

Honestly, this is one of the most sickening so-called perfumes that I have ever encountered. I most likely tried a spritz of this in a department store when it first came out but no doubt repressed all memory of the experience immediately, as I had until this testing no recollection of ANGEL at all.

I am a liberal about many things, including perfume. Very open and forgiving: à chacun son gout; à chacun son nez. But I implore, beseech, entreat you: if you ever wear this substance in my presence, please do not sit next to me!

Alex1984 16 months ago
Release the genie in the wrong moment and it can be dreadful. But, right moment and Angel is a great dirty chocolate patch, sugarless, raw.+6
Bottle 10.0
Sillage 10.0
Scent 8.0
Bcars10 20 months ago
I will be blunt: This is a fallen angel...horribly foul and wrapped in a glittering and attractive package. Just like Satan.+2
Bottle 10.0
Sillage 10.0
Scent 1.0
Carlitos01 8 months ago
I sometimes dream of a woman that is part Charlize Thieron, part Famke Janssen, part Bridget Moynahan, part Meg Ryan and smells like Angel.+1
Bottle 9.0