Angel

Eau de Parfum (1992)
Angel (Eau de Parfum) by Mugler / Thierry Mugler
Flacon Design: Thierry Mugler
Compare Prices
Angel (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Mugler / Thierry Mugler for women and was released in 1992. The scent is sweet-gourmand. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Clarins.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Jasmine, Cassia, Coconut, Mandarin, Melon, Cotton candy
Heart Notes Heart NotesApricot, Blackberry, Honey, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Orchid, Peach, Plum, Rose, Red berries
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Caramel, Musk, Patchouli, Chocolate, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by Sani, last update on 21.05.2017

T. Mugler successfully utilised ethylmaltol (first used in "Vanilia" by Artisan Parfumeur in 1978) in a mainstream perfume, thus kick-starting the gourmand genre in 90s. Maltol occurs naturally, e.g. when roasting malt, hence its name. Ehtylmaltol is a synthetic variant which increases the caramel impression four- to sixfold.
Vera Strübi, former president of the Mugler company reports that the bottle's prototype (a 85,000 € design) was not accepted by Mugler. They agreed on the famous star-shape flacon instead but were initially unable to find a glass blowing workshop able to produce it. Furthermore, Strübi and the investors at Clarins disliked the scent and Mugler had to fight for its realisation. The argument that the price per bottle was too high had been refuted with the idea of a refillable vessel.

SorceressSorceress 4 years ago
Scent 9.0

„Angel-Fried Cotton Candy At A Summer County Fair”

SherapopSherapop 5 years ago
Scent 3.0

„Perfumic Equivalent of Garbage Pizza”

Scent 1.0/10
1 Award
Fallen Angel
At the outset, I'd like to apologize to all of you who think Mugler's Angel is da bomb.

This is a negative review. I tested it again today, and I still cannot see how this is labeled as a sweet gourmand!!! It is not sweet at all to me! The first note I smell is very menthol, almost like Vick's Vapo Rub. Then it dries down to a burnt rubber smell. It is very, very synthetic on me. I have tried several times to like it, thinking something will change--even testing at different stores!--but it just makes me nauseous. This doesn't smell like any angel I could imagine, except for a fallen angel.

The sillage and longevity are, as others have noted, quite remarkable. Even after scrubbing my hand, I can still smell it--it is extremely masculine. I do love the bottle and would like to add it to my collection. Such a shame.
Bottle 7.0/10
Sillage 8.0/10
Longevity 8.0/10
Helpful Review    2 Awards
Perfect Gourmand...
A true beauty here. This is one which I expected to be a monster, but it really turned out to be sublime in it's smell and performance. I tried the male version first, which I found extremely harsh and almost cloying, with a screechy tar note and heavy patchouli. This in the other hand, is perfect for me.

One thing I like about Angel is that the notes are blended perfectly to my nose. The patchouli, chocolate, caramel, vanilla and honey are all perfect. To me no one overwhelms the other too much. There are elements of candy floss, fruits, berries and tonka bean that show up as well (all of which I love). It's one hell of a gourmand, and I love it!

It's a fragrance which I would love smelling on people and wearing also. I find it a lot more wearable than the men's version, and it just feels "done right" to my nose. Probably best in cooler weather in my opinion, but could probably be worn year round with measured spraying. I think this isn't the beast that people make it out to be (at least to me)... so give it a try!
Sillage 8.0/10
Longevity 9.0/10
Scent 7.5/10
Helpful Review    3 Awards
A Polarising Fragrance Everyone Should Try at Least Once
Believe it or not, I only first heard of Angel's existence a couple of years ago despite that it has been around since 1992! I began reading reviews of Angel soon afterward. The reviews were polarising to say the least. It seemed reviewers either loved or hated Angel with little in between. Everyone did agree that the patchouli note in Angel was the most prominent of all, and many reviewers described it as the smell of body odour, which needless to say was a bit off putting. I am not a great lover of patchouli, and that fact alone rather frightened me away for a long, long time. However, I continued to hear Angel mentioned a lot, and I continued to read the newest reviews, and more and more I began to think I should at least try it, but I never seemed to do so.

Finally, a few weeks ago, I was at the chemist's shop and saw a dupe of Angel. I thought I might at least try the dupe whilst I was there, and so I generously spritzed each arm, and to my surprise and delight, I liked it! The dupe was very good albeit I subsequently discovered that it is not as long lasting, and it does not have the same projection and sillage one finds in the real Angel. I then went to a department store and tested the real Angel EdP on my skin, and once the top notes settled down, I liked it. Angel's top notes do have a certain "bug spray" quality to them according to my nose, but then again, my nose is not very well tutored, so this observation should not be taken too literally. My nose may be the blame instead of Angel being the blame for my perceived "bug spray" smell.

The patchouli is definitely the most dominant and the most persistent note to my nose. I have read that the patchouli is as strong as it is in order to counteract all of the very sweet notes such as chocolate, caramel, candy floss, sweet flowers and sweet fruits. Aside from the patchouli and perhaps the dark chocolate, I was unable to pick out many of the other individual notes. All I knew was that given a bit of time, Angel dried down to a quite pleasant albeit a very unusual fragrance. I found the dry down slightly sweet and chocolatey but not nearly as sweet as some reviewers have claimed it to be. The projection, sillage, and longevity all turned out to be quite good, too. I ended up purchasing the EdP and the body creme with no regrets whatsoever.

I think Angel EdP will work well in cool weather, but I am not as sure about hot weather, so I decided to purchase the EdT for the warm weather months. I find the EdT to be a less intense version of Angel, and I do not think it is masculine at all. I recommend you try Angel on your skin a few times to give it a chance. Like myself, you may find that you quite like it, and it may end up a nice and very unique addition to your collection. One thing is certain, and that is that Angel is unlike anything else you have probably ever smelt before. So, I now own the EdT, EdP, and the body creme. I find that the body creme is the best smelling of the three. It is richer, creamier, warmer, and deeper. I very highly recommend the body creme. If you like Angel EdP, you will LOVE the body creme.

Although I cannot pick out all of Angel's notes, I list them here for your review:

Top Notes: Melon, Coconut, Mandarin Orange, Cassia, Jasmine, Bergmot, and Cotton Candy. (I do not distinguish any of these top notes by the way.)

Heart Notes: Honey, Apricot, Blackberry, Plum, Orchid, Peach, Jasmine, Lily of the Valley, Red Berries, and Rose.

Base Notes: Tonka Bean, Amber, Patchouli, Musk, Vanilla, Dark Chocolate, and Caramel.

I pick up more of the base notes than any others, particularly patchouli, a bit of dark chocolate, vanilla, musk, and amber. I cannot distinguish any caramel in Angel unfortunately as I like caramel.

I hope this review will help its readers to decide whether or not they wish to try Angel. If you do try it, keep an open mind about it, and try it more than one time in more than one type of weather. It is not the "average" parfum of any known category. It is categorised as an "Oriental Vanilla," but it is unlike any other Oriental Vanilla I have ever smelt. In fact, I would venture to say that Angel is in a category all by itself, much like Shakespeare in literature. I LOVE the star shaped bottle, too. : )
Helpful Review    2 Awards
not child's play
I do not understand why so many negative qualifications , Angel , is a perfect perfume, has great longevity, silage and projection, has a fragrance and timeless aroma , in my male skin it becomes less sweet, more powder and perfume with gourmand scent with a patcholi powder and camphor , along with a bitter chocolate, do not feel boring , he's strong , imposing and lasting , those who like soft little things will never like a beast like this, who tamed refers to many excelent feelings . People are accustomed to use true " chayote water" which give 10 sprayed , Angel , Opium , Kouros, Amarige , are perfumes that require more care in the amount of sprayed , more careful in the climate, and are not child's play .
Very helpful Review    5 Awards
Controversialist confection
Tension created by the mixture of edible and inedible notes is what gives the gourmand genre its particular interest. The mind isn't sure how to react to something that says 'eat me' and 'don't eat me' at the same time.

Angel takes this effect one unsavoury step further with its red fruit syrup, candy floss and caramel served up with plummy rose and white flowers, dark chocolate, mothballs, bitter wood and mouldy rot.

The original, most distinctive and probably still the best gourmand on the planet. Certainly the most wicked.
Bottle 7.5/10
1 Award
Boom!!
Dynamite in a bottle. Very strong oriental for extreme pachouli lovers. I think it has its character a must item for perfume collectors. Extra extra longevity and sillage. One single drop is enough to create a smelling cloud following you. Even if there are many negative comments I like it. Nice bottle too.
Never fear it!
And I never fear wearing it! It is a "body builder" . The more it develops the more it embraces you like no other scent. Playful and sober, gourmand and delicate, strong and diaphane at the same time.
Angel-Fried Cotton Candy At A Summer County Fair
A warm, dark candy scent that reminds me of an expensive chocolate bar that's melted over and mixed into fried cotton candy at a summer county fair on a very hot, humid night. You dip your fingers into this outrageous candy delight in the night air, enjoy the sweet taste sensations while your other senses are assaulted by the lights and sounds of the carnival. There's a sensory overload that you put yourself through because you want to, because you like where you are, knowing you want to absorb everything that's there. That's what Angel is all about.
This is an inviting scent that lingers for a number of hours with a dark chocolate liquor flavor. About one hour into settling, Angel gets comfortable, drunk on cherry chocolates, languid, sweet and syrupy. After its run of about eight hours, she quietly slips away. Her booziness is gone.
When I first went to inquire about this perfume, the SA at Macy's told me she had so many complaints about this complex fragrance, she was hesitant to have me spray-test it on myself. She instead handed me a number of samples with judicious eyes and told me to try it out at home.
I have absolutely no complaints about this complicated frag. It's different and I like that. It's a gourmand and you must enjoy a food type fragrance if you will associate yourself with Angel. There are so many delicious notes for your skin to absorb from Thierry Mugler's scent each time you apply it, you really should give it a try a few times to see what flavors become you.
As with any frag, especially a gourmand, go lightly. Unless you go to bed with it. Then you get to snuggle to your own delight with as many sprays as you'd like, cuddle up to it and enjoy the scent.
I find the bottle a pleasing addition to my own perfumery. Art deco in design maybe, modernistic perhaps, certainly not run-of-the mill. Definitely a keeper.
The notes that are prominent for me are coconut, bergamot, cotton candy, plum, red berries, tonka bean, amber, patchouli, musk, vanilla, chocolate and caramel. This is a quite a mix. I like it when I'm in the mood.
Scent 8.0/10
Greatly helpful Review    3 Awards
Complicated
I've tried Angel several times at the store. Every time, it smells different on me. I get many different notes wafting through, from caramel to cotton candy, then fruity notes, patchouli. The first hour I wear it is awful...but then in the dry down it turns into something delicious...the problem is, I don't want to endure it that long. Angel is like the mood ring of perfumes as I think it is entirely dependant on body chemistry and mood. Do not buy this perfume without trying it more than once.
Very helpful Review    7 Awards
what a mess
Oh Angel, you smelly pirate hooker you! Down and dirty patchouli mingling with dark chocolate rolled in dust. Time and time again, I smell this fragrance trailing behind an anosmic shopper at the mall or an office worker...and it never smells pleasant to me. I sampled this on my skin, thinking maybe if I sprayed it and waved my hand under it (letting the mist fall lightly on my skin), the scent would be somewhat pleasant or more tolerable.

NOPE.

It is still very heavy and attacking the senses, my frenemy patchouli showing its mean and ugly side--so unclean and cloying with the bitter chocolate note. This perfume is meant for the loud, proud, adventurous sort (or someone who can appreciate/enjoy being around such people). I am very much an introvert; Angel and I are never meant to be. I'll stick to the sugarbombs I know and love.
6 Awards
Must be midlife crisis, lol
I only recently got into Angel, and considering the number of years I've been into perfume, it's almost criminal, lol. Angel was everywhere, I had to wait for the mass obsession to wear off before I could give it a try.
This stuff is STRONG. One spray and you can cause migraines and nausea in every person in a 10 mile radius.

And yet... If you don't spray but only dab a couple times (no more than that!) and wait half an hour, you get what Angel was meant to be: soft, tentalizing, a little naughty and just plain yummy.
I don't understand why it is sold in a spray bottle, frankly the spray is what has caused so many people to turn into rabid pitbulls: it's just too much.
Sprayed Angel is like a badly aged, drunken sewer drag queen on a rampage: She'll chase you down and exhale her furious halitosis in your face until she brands your memory with a nasty case of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Dabbed on Angel is all whispers, giggles and sighs, cuddly to no end, pervasive, lingering but gentle, youthful and absurdly pretty, full of charm, really. But you CANNOT overdo Angel, or her fairytale magic turns into a nefarious nightmare of epic proportions. And the bitch simply does not forgive, EVER.

... Sure enough, I find myself going back to this one more and more often, because I am a trace, minute amount wearer, so Angel likes me.
Sillage 7.5/10
Scent 0.0/10
Greatly helpful Review    15 Awards
Dessert for Zombies
This masterpiece of modern perfumery smells like a blast of overly ripe soon to be rancid fruit compote sprinkled with stale cinnamon powder and a touch of rose liqueur, surrounded by grotesquely indolic jasmine bouquet with cloying tropical orchid accord woven through the indoles, resting on a monstrous base of caramel, sickeningly sweet melted vanilla ice cream drips hardening on the kitchen counter, moldy old hershey’s chocolate kisses left over from last Christmas, and the overwhelming odor of musty graveyard dirt from an old cemetery.

Angelic isn’t it? BAH. I wouldn’t even want this sprayed on my corpse.
Scent 6.0/10
Very helpful Review    13 Awards
Behemoth
Angel lumbered onto the perfume scene in the early 1990s, trampling wimpy aquatics and waifish florals in its path like Dumbo the big blue elephant. In retrospect, Angel's launch marked the beginning of the slow rise of sweet, gourmand perfumes and the corresponding rejection by the masses of sourish oakmoss chypres, although the IFRA certainly played a part in their demise.

If you love Angel as I sometimes do, it is a ground-breaking, brilliant fusion of masculine and feminine, light and darkness that deserves a place alongside the likes of Coty's Chypre and Shalimar. However, familiarity inevitably breeds contempt, and after being smothered by Angel applied without restraint, as well as its legion of imitators, Angel often strikes me as a demonic combination of cheap candy, spoiled fruit and mothballs. Say what you will about Angel, it is impossible to be indifferent to this perfume's beauty/ugliness.
jtd
aahhh, Angel
Pervasive instability of mood, impulsive aggressiveness, a frantic drive not to be alone, serial crises. Yes, Angel, it’s borderline personality disorder.
Helpful Review    4 Awards
"In the arms of an Angel"
When? Where? Why? There's much to consider before submitting to the essence of Angel. Temperature, season, mood, atmosphere and occasion... or most importantly, who are you wearing it for? This is very expensive fragrant lingerie that must be worn properly in order to be appreciated. Chocolate-dipped sparkling tropical fruits, honeyed orchids, caramel glazed amber, foreign jasmine and an appealing base of sensual vanilla and patchouli. Bold, sexy and intense.
Scent 3.0/10
Very helpful Review    8 Awards
Perfumic Equivalent of Garbage Pizza
Imagine being invited to a friend's house as a young child. Her mother offers you a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. But then she realizes that she's out of peanut butter, so she slabs some Welches grape jelly on a couple of pieces of white Wonderbread and serves it to you anyway. You're starving, so you scarf down a couple of bites quickly. Suddenly, after swallowing the first bite, while the second is still in your mouth, you are filled with a sense of malaise. There is something wrong. Something dreadfully wrong. And it's not just that there's no peanut butter in your PBJ.

You open up the sandwich and lo and behold you discover a big glob of green mold sitting in the middle of the bread, clearly visible through the translucent purple jelly. You have now eaten two bites of the sandwich. Your appetite is ruined. You inquire as to the location of the bathroom...

Honestly, this is one of the most sickening so-called perfumes that I have ever encountered. I most likely tried a spritz of this in a department store when it first came out but no doubt repressed all memory of the experience immediately, as I had until this testing no recollection of ANGEL at all.

I am a liberal about many things, including perfume. Very open and forgiving: à chacun son gout; à chacun son nez. But I implore, beseech, entreat you: if you ever wear this substance in my presence, please do not sit next to me!
Bottle 2.5/10
Longevity 7.5/10
Scent 3.0/10
Very helpful Review    4 Awards
A Fantastic Plastic Lover
Since it's Release in 1992 Angel has been Revered Repeled Idolised Scroutinized Critizised for it's Synthtic Aesthetics
Angel Has to be the most Misunderstood Heroine of Perfumery, Is this all Doom and Gloom for Angel?' Perhaps
But Mr Mugler Doesn't go by Convention and Angel is his Dopelganger, A Perfume for People who think outside
the Box, The Notes of Angel is Beyond Complex It's more i can say an Epic Like the Odyssey or the Maharbharata
The Notes are like the pages of a Book that needs to be Discypher for Knowlege.
Angel opens with Patchouli adds a Brief Smoky touch A Tinge of Incense Finishes the Top, The Drydown
we get a Mixture of Pineapple and Orange In a Few Minutes Angel Turns in a Gormet Fantasy of Different
Layers Of Chocolate Dark to White Comes Steeping our Senses Like a Decadent Desert, Red Berries Adds the Juiciness of Angel, The Cotton Candy And the Pervasive note of Musk Is Like a mature version of Aqualina's
Pink Suger,
The Con is Unfortunally Angel Despite it's Complexity it's Just a Plathora Of Sweet Plastic.
Longevity 7.5/10
4 Awards
Chocolate with mint!
I must say I hated Angel, for years. Now I love it, but I have to be in the right mood for wearing it (I usually wear it on a night out and when I crave for chocolate). I bought it last Summer while I was on a diet and craving sweets so I spent my hot, dry portuguese Summer wearing Angel. A crime for some, a pleasure for me!
Angel is sweet, it's sillage is amazing and it's a fragrance quite unique and recognizable. Though this fragrance is called patchouli monster and have tons of "ingredients", all I can smell is "After Eight". Yes, the square pieces of chocolate with mint! And I absolutely love chocolate with mint!
The drydown is soft, a powdery vanilla with hints of that choco/mint combo.
I must add that Angel is the only fragrance of my collection that my friends recognize as "my scent" and it's the favourite perfume of my boyfriend on me.
Marvelous!
Very helpful Review    3 Awards
Thierry-fying.
Clearly, this fragrance was created by an evil genius.

My very sweet septuagenarian mother wears it, as do many of her retiree friends. I've smelled it on my college-age students as well. What a marketing bonanza for the house of Mugler.

As for me, I cannot wear it. Or bear it. Sorry, mother.
Helpful Review    4 Awards
I like the gourmand now!
I have tried to avoid the scent that has been the most popular suggestion for a perfume that is 'slutty.'
I tried it and on the way home these were my feelings.

A couple young girls, aged 10, are playing on a new tire swing that their father bought them, they are drinking vanilla under a cocoa tree.
The scent I receive is a chocolate explosion, with vanilla, a hint of skunk cabbage, and daisies. These are the top notes.

A bear suddenly jumps out of the thicket and scares the girls away, in their flight they drop their belongings.

Ten year later the girls return to the spot to reminisce of 'old times.' The flowers have rotten and a plant has sprung up where the vanilla drink dropped resulting the scent that reaches their noses the cocoa tree strongly, the scent of the vanilla, rotten flowers, and a strong smell of new tire.

Skip ahead another ten years the girl comes back and harvests the vanilla beans and cocoa to make a wonderful chocolate, vanilla and carmel bunt cake.

This is a perfume I wish would just skip straight to the base notes. I will not buy an expensive perfume such as this and have to wait a good hour and a half for it to begin to be a scent that I might like.

***
*UPDATE*********

I tried it a couple more times and I like it so much I bought myself a bottle!!
She is beautiful
Again I find myself wearing Angel this evening. I freely admit that i don’t wear it nearly as often as necessary. It in itself truly is a masterpiece, as much of a phase in time as Chanel no.5 found herself, or Halston (1975) or even Poison (1985). A wonderful transition from the powerhouse fragrances of the 80’s and the floriental aldehyde smells of the 70’s, Angel finds herself alone in her flowerless structure in the early 90’s (1992).

The gourmand is born.

You might ask yourself, “what in the hell is a gourmand?” to which someone like me may be inclined to respond, “a fragrance that smells like food” to put it rather bluntly.

Behind all of the makeup, plastic, silicone and metal Angel does have a spirit I promise you. At first sniff this sauce-y lady may come off as trampy or rude with her sharp plethora of sweet mealy smells, one can surely admit that her start is a swift slap to the face. Her heart beats hard and hot with a perfect patchouli accord, which some describe as dirty or stinky, I cannot disagree more without becoming violent. Any harshness in the top accords is rounded out quickly, which does forgive Angel immensely in my opinion. A dark smokey amber chimes in within the first five minute upon application for me. a warning to any readers, the harsh opening to Angel becomes very addicting after awhile so you may want to hide it from yourself to insure you don’t wear too much.

I have the Angel theme music on repeat as I type this.

Best regards with smelling cards,

Anup
Bottle 7.5/10
Sillage 7.5/10
Scent 7.0/10
Modern-Day Classic
You simply can't go wrong with Angel. Being one of the most popular and well-known fragrances in the last 20 years, Angel still manages to stand out in a crowd.

This is a delicious and very unique scent, the first of its kind. It's sexy, dark, mysterious, sweet and memorable. Surprisingly quite controversial, it seems that you will either love or hate this fragrance. I personally adore it and love wearing it, especially during Winter or on a night out on the town.

When I first apply Angel to my skin I get a very distinctive mandarin note. This mandarin is fresh, juicy and raw, and smells exactly like the actual fruit. Minutes later Angel begins to smell like gingerbread men and vanilla. I can even sense a chocolatey note, but perhaps more like a mug of hot chocolate rather than a block of solid chocolate.

I find it difficult to control my sweet tooth whenever I wear this fragrance. I feel compelled to walk straight into the nearest bakery and buy every sweet pastry I can afford.

Don't be fooled by the name, Angel is in no way innocent. 'Demon' would be a far more suitable name for this scent.

I suggest that everyone try this at least once in their lifetime, because like Chanel No.5, it is quickly becoming a well-known classic.

Bcars10 49 days ago
I will be blunt: This is a fallen angel...horribly foul and wrapped in a glittering and attractive package. Just like Satan.+1
Bottle 10.0