Mugler Cologne is a popular perfume by Mugler / Thierry Mugler for women and men and was released in 2001. The scent is fresh-citrusy. It is being marketed by Clarins.

Bergamot, Neroli, Petitgrain, Orange blossom, White musk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 19.05.2019

MasterLiMasterLi 5 years ago

„The Eau de Cologne of the future!”

SherapopSherapop 7 years ago

„My take on Chandler Burr's S01E02? It's a scrubber.”

8.0 6.0 6.0 8.0/10

Then and now
It's already a crux with the Internet. Basically a great invention. It makes life much easier, but can also cost a lot of money.
When I first went online in 1997 with a Telejet 14400 modem (now in the Computer Museum in Munich), the Internet cost 6 DM per hour PLUS telephone charges at AOL. After the first calculation of 250€ you can imagine that at that time the Internet was limited to the essential. One needed above all patience, since the side structure of a picture of 1MB size took a few minutes. You couldn't even make a phone call at the time, unless you had ISDN. Compared to today there wasn't so much content, but you were mostly busy waiting anyway. Or you'd chat with people on the other side of the world. I found it fascinating that someone who was sitting in his living room in Pittsburgh at the same time was talking to me about God and the world. Everything was more relaxed and less hectic.

Now at some point came DSL, a little later the Wlan and the smartphones and the offer on the Internet grew. Everything seems overloaded, hectic and you have to be careful what you say/write because some people put it on the gold scale. Today there is virtually everything, everything is covered with a monthly flat rate and costs actually only arise when you end up in a forum like here and suddenly starts to use Idealo daily to keep an eye on certain prices. You want to save money, but when I look at my collection a year ago and compare it with today, I notice that I have already spent over 1000 euros on perfume, even if I have always bought each cheaper than it would normally cost. Somehow the costs have only shifted then.

I had the Mugler Cologne on my screen since last summer. In trade it is about 55€, but it was always too expensive for me. Now I bought it for about 30€ and enjoy it. The right weather is still missing, but as soon as it gets really warm, it will be really good. It's different than the freshies I currently own. It's much greener, as the colour already says, and the bottle is also absolutely suitable, it reminds me of grass and stalks, at least in my eyes.

I can't smell the individual ingredients like that. I simply perceive it as a fresh green fragrance that reminds me of salad dressings in a positive sense. Sounds weird, but it is. I don't perceive a course, I can recognize Neroli and Petitgrain at the beginning and this also steadily, although becoming weaker.
4-5h the scent is well perceptible, which is just not long, but also normal for a fresher scent.
It also shows that as soon as Mr. Morillas leaves the pure male area, he is quite able to get something done. Yes, the whole thing may also come across as very artificial or synthetic, but with that other problems and I have less.

Who knows if I would have had the patience at that time to inform myself about this scent if I had known in advance that it was a Morillas.

Thanks to the development of the Internet, you can get information relatively quickly, get the hang of it, imagine it was 1997 and it would take an eternity for Parfumo to build up, let alone the comments on a fragrance. How big would the complaints be if the commissioners were too long, the photos too similar and the blogs had nothing to do with perfume? At that time, however, there were no users who only used their time on the Internet to find a hair in their soup and, if there was none, simply fooled them. Today, anyone who is dissatisfied with their life can simply use the Internet to compensate. It doesn't cost anything anymore and goes very fast.
I can also recommend the Mugler Cologne to these people, because it makes them a little more relaxed.
Because let's be honest...we are here because we are looking for fragrances that should embellish our time a little bit when we wear them. This is for one scent X and for the other scent Y.

The Mugler Cologne is actually rather Mugler atypical, not overloading, not eternally holding, and not obtrusive at all, so if you don't know this yet, you can dare to do it.

Basically, I think it's good to exchange information here quickly and informatively that the net has become so fixed. You'd rather spend your money on something nice than on access and waiting

A Neroli and Bergamot Bomb
SOTD: Mugler Cologne: As of 01/24/19

Like fresh green leaves after a rainstorm, that's how described this fragrance, my nose detects the Neroli, Bergamot and the Orange flower in the opening and then on the dry down
more of the Neroli, Bergamot, and Musk. Getting that bitter orange vibe as well from the Orange flower, Bergamot and Petitgrain. Excellent release from the Mugler house. To me probably one of the best fresh fragrance currently. All the notes are blended well. Excellent scent for the summer and as well an office scent. Definitely a must have.

Scent: 8.5/10
Design/Presentation: 9/10
Value: 7/10
Longevity/Performance: 8.52/10: Lasted on my skin/skin scent around between 8-10+ hrs
Overall: 8.25/10

My 2nd wearing of this fragrance as my office SOTD of the day as of 03/12/19, did not get any compliment which to me no worries I wear my fragrances in my collection to adore and love it's capabilities to it's full potential of the scent/fragrance. Neroli is one of my many favorite note(s) , I still put there with being on my top freshie spring/summer fragrances in my collection and rotation. Just love the Neroli with the mixture of bergamot and petitgrain being well blended. Longevity/Performance remains the same 8.25 out of 10, 9-11 sprays lasted on my skin as a skin scent around 9+ hrs. And my overall score will remain the same on this fragrance cause I'm putting Bright Neroli ahead of this fragrance which is 8.25 out of 10. It will be in my spring/summer rotation for 2019.
8.0 4.0 6.0 7.5/10

Futuristic Eau de Cologne
Mugler Cologne has a citrus opening and I almost smell something like ginger. There is also some subtle sweetness coming from neroli and orange blossom. Towards the drydown, the citrus aroma is always there, but I also smell something reminding me of vetiver, though it's not on the list.

Overall it's green, fresh and a little soapy. Very pleasant to sniff but not something plain and dull. The sillage is close to skin but the scent is persistent during the wearing. The longevity is at least 6 hours.

It's a fragrance that I'll reach out on a sunny day in spring or summer, when I don't have a particular desire for 'fragrance', but still want to smell good.
10.0 6.0 6.0 6.0/10

Eau de neon
AugustA was actually sure that she would like this Cologne with its exaggerated Mugler modernism. What then came was a very unique citrus green, bright to brightly shining, actually white shining. Reminiscent of something Indian about white flowers, tuberose virtually without the tuberose scent. Hypermodern and shrill. Fast past, then only some fleetingly spicy Vetiver remained. It's pretty good in midsummer, though. It makes me feel a little dressed up in the sense of disguised. Doesn't fit, doesn't refresh. Too bad.
Eau de neon.
8.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

Steamy Cologne
Scentrack
Fun Lovin' Criminals - Half a Block

In my heart there is a special place for three classic colognes with a modern twist: l'Eau de Tarocco by Diptyque, Vettiveru by Comme des Garcons and Mugler Cologne.
Mugler Cologne is fresh, clean, genderless and very nice. Starts with bergamot, piercing neroli and just a touch of clean aldehydes. Soon white flowers and musk follow the top notes. The special feature of MC i s clean, steamy note of hot iron. Perfectly clean, and so compatible with white shirt. Insiders say MC contains molecule S - Sex molecule, the smell of post coital liquids, but I don't feel anything dirty. But one can expect the unexpected from Mugler.
The newer bottle looks like a part of Captain Kirk's bathroom, great design.

Rating: 8/10

More on Scentimentalwords
8.0/10

Post-modern soap?
What can I say about my beloved Mugler Cologne that hasn’t already been said? It is the epitome of clean, soapy scents. Mugler Cologne achieves a level of perfection most fragrances spend decades attempting to attain and often fail by smelling too artificial and plasticky. It is so seemingly simple as to make one slap himself on the forehead and ponder aloud, “Why didn’t I think of that?” or, “Why didn’t I find this sooner?”

It is probably silly to want to smell like a bar of soap all day but sometimes it is just the perfect scent. Sometimes I want a scent that is unfussy but subtly magnetic—you can thank the musk for the magnetism involved in this fragrance. MC has no pretenses and it does not want to be anything other than clean and honest. If a Saturday or Sunday morning could be encapsulated in a glass bottle, this would be its juice.

MC is long-lasting and wonderfully lingering. It is strong but not overbearing; you only need to spritz strategically all over and only once. This fragrance is so good I believe it should be a mandatory scent in any fragrance-aficionado’s collection.

Design conscious cologne
Washed out, tumble dried and starched; a minimalist profile of engineered neroli on a pale sweet powdery-woody base. There's a small evolution from laundry to light honeyed dust, as meanwhile, the floral remains strong and intact nearly to the end.

MC came from the pen of Alberto Morillas - hot on the heels of his success with Flower, and it feels a bit like a slimmed down orange version of the Kenzo blockbuster. Both perfumes show great imagination and originality but their material construction doesn't quite reach the same heights of excellence.

Morillas has reworked cologne's burst of freshness in a low key and contemporary manner. By replacing the shiny citrus with an abstract neroli he came up with the perfume equivalent of an orange lantern glowing on pale wood.

~ Sparkling Green & Fresh ~
- A review in poem ....

T.M. Cologne~
A bright tonic to my soul ~
Summer in a bottle for one and all ~
Bright like a ray of sun in a citrus splash ~
White florals float like the clouds as they pass ~
Simplicity in your notes a hint of musk my smile detects ~
Petitgrain and neroli just enough this sillage is not for romance or for lust ~
Sparkling green and fresh in your cheer and glee hints of orange peace waft over me ~
Kind Regards, Plat ~
5.0 7.5 7.5 10.0/10

MasterLi
The Eau de Cologne of the future!
Theirry Mugler's Cologne is a modern, decidedly futuristic take on a classic recipe. His inspiration was the scent of a Moroccan soap he came across whilst on holiday.

I'll be honest, this does indeed smell exactly like soap (no surprise)! When I smell this I am reminded of an exclusively made luxury soap bar in a hotel bathroom. I find it very refreshing and uplifting.

I basically get a very sweet, green citrus vibe, coupled with a heavy dose of clean, white musk. I think I also get a faint hint of Vetiver, although it isn't listed. It's not a bitter at all to my nose (unlike other types of Eau de Cologne's). Instead it's very smooth, and not in any way sharp smelling or overpowering.

I don't think I really have anything bad to say about this. I do get the slight "synthetic" feel which others have mentioned, but even then it still achieves it's goal of smelling clean, fresh and inoffensive. This is the one I reach for when I don't want to smell "complicated", just clean and ready for the day ahead.

Well done to M. Mugler for coming up with this. His aim here was to create a perfume "for people who don't like the smell of perfume". It's simple and does that job very well. It's a modern, fresh take on what is (in my opinion) a very old and conventional formula, which has been repeated too many times. This doesn't feel like it belongs with the rest of them. Completely fresh, unisex and modern as ever. I like it.
7.5 2.5 2.5 6.0/10

Almost perfect!
Mugler Cologne is a wonderful green/citrus/fresh scent.

I guess it's one of the best scents on this range - and totally unissex.

Lots of neroli with a light musk base, it smells clean and soapy, but it's much closer to an EDC than to an EDT.

Suitable for hot days. My only complaint is about it's weak lasting power. This is definetely a must have for any collector. Thumbs up!

Updated January 2014
7.5 10.0 1.0/10

My take on Chandler Burr's S01E02? It's a scrubber.
My take on Chandler Burr's S01E02 (which was Thierry Mugler COLOGNE): it's a scrubber. Major yuck factor in the opening. My very first reaction (posted at OpenSky in mid-July) was: "ELdO SECRETIONS MAGNIFIQUES meets Tide laundry detergent residue." It took me a few days even to muster up the courage to try it again, and when I did, my experience did not improve.

Based on my initial dislike, I guessed that it was created by Alberto Morillas, whom I affectionately refer to as "Chemical Albie" because he has produced a number of scrubbers--at least according to my nose and on my skin. It appears that we have a serious chemical incompatibility. But that's okay: there are plenty of other perfumers in the fragrance sea!

What is so repulsive about the opening? Well, to me it smells like bodily fluids. Is it blood, spit, mucous, some kind discharge, perhaps even semen? I do not know, but reading that this composition contains a mystery ingredient, and being aware of the Thierry Mugler approach (ANGEL, WOMANITY), it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

The rest of the fragrance really smacks to me of petroleum-based industrial laundry products, with a strong, persistent residue very difficult to remove. I had to literally scrub to get this one off. Hence, the appropriateness of the term 'scrubber'!

Needless to say, I will not be wearing the remaining 29 mls of my bottle of S02E02, but I enjoyed this little adventure. Bravo, Chandler!

snack
I try to eat an integrated, healthy diet, but sometimes I’ll have a protein bar. I couldn’t live on them forever, but they’re handy in a pinch, provide some nutrition and are marginally better than a chocolate bar. I think of them as fake food, but they have their uses.

If ‘normal’ cologne is a light meal, Mugler’s Cologne is a protein bar: functionally synthetic, easy to consume, popular with the gym queens.
5.0 7.5 7.0/10

Wearable citrus for men and women
Mugler Cologne is very simplistic yet beautiful all the same.

It's refreshing yet unique which is a quality that I very rarely find in a citrus aromatic. I can see how this fragrance easily becomes unisex, its softness is feminine enough on a woman and its slightly sharp citrusy notes would compliment a man.

The citrus notes in Mugler Cologne actually become quite sweet but certainly not nauseatingly so. The orange blossom and musk balance this fragrance out well, insuring that the scent doesn't become too sharp or linear.

A sense of being lightly refreshed and revitalised is achieved successfully through this fragrance. The lasting strength is good, at least five hours, and the sillage very mild, which is great news for those wishing to wear this in the Summer months. I certainly recommend.

Itchynose 136 days ago
A blast of fresh, sharp citrus after the morning shower. Hard not to like!+3
9.0
Danielle 137 days ago
Fresh citrus-green unisexfragance wich I often use as a layer to chill up heave perfumes…+2
9.0
PMRP12 23 months ago
A crisp, green bar of soap that makes me feel freshly-showered clean and universally appealing.+6
10.0
Elysium 2 years ago
One of my favorite summer colognes of all time happens to be Thierry Mugler Cologne. Very refreshing, very light, very soapy. I just love it+1
10.0