Beau de Jour (2019)

Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Beau de Jour is a new perfume by Tom Ford for men and was released in 2019. The scent is fougère-green. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Top Notes Top NotesLavender, Provençal lavender
Heart Notes Heart NotesCape Snow Bush, Geranium, Oakmoss, Basil
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Amber

Submitted by Anthracite, last update on 05.12.2019.

8.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

Beau de Jour godness :)
Very pleasent barber shopy vibe, 80's fragrance style. I love it, and recommand it to everyone - so classy.
Really enjoy wearing it all day long.... my signature. It is often compared to various perfumes, but this one, for me, is by far the best.
8.0 7.0 8.0 7.5/10

A herbal bitter all-rounder
Hey hey you fragrance lovers and freaks! Welcome to a new commi from me! Recently I had a Tom Ford under my nose again, one of the brand's newer fragrances, Beau de Jour.

Yeah, the scent name makes all my hair stand on end! Beautiful boy! Beautiful boy of the day! Argh... If I hear anything like that, brrrr.... Well I have to admit that there is also a little envy about me, because I don't feel particularly attractive on the outside and also hardly ever received compliments like "you look good", but I find the term "Schönling" so miserably stupid, because it also implies a certain "imagining" of the "affected" Schönling to me. In any case, I just have the feeling that "beauties" are quite aware of the fact that they are attractive, which makes their behaviour particularly annoying when it comes to others.

Of course it doesn't always have to be like this, I'm lucky to know a lot of people who look so great and know that they are beautiful or attractive, but still aren't snobbish or conceited. Which admittedly is at least a small consolation, because you can see that not all "beauties"... uh, people are miserable ass violins and show-offs :DD
But jealous I become nevertheless a little on outwardly attractive people,... I am just a bad person, argh :D *seufz*

Well, the fragrance is nice, but I have to warn you: Don't expect too much, because most of the time this fragrance smells just too familiar, but good, I'll describe it first:

The fragrance:
For me, the fragrance begins with lavender, but without coming across as a classic men's fragrance. Instead, it already has light, sweet scents, which make the fragrance quite pleasant, so that even the lavender doesn't come across too bitter. The same applies to the spicy notes like rosemary (later more basil), which sometimes shine through and come across nice. I like these "kitchen herbs" fragrances very much, so I like them here in this fragrance also well.
Over time, the lavender becomes somewhat weaker, but most of the scent is present and can be smelled. Towards the middle and especially towards the end the fragrance becomes more earthy through the patchouli. And although patchouli is not one of my favourite fragrances, I think it smells quite good here together with lavender.
In the end, the fragrance gains a clear (and beautiful) sweetness with the amber, which together with the rest of lavender, patchouli and a light, leathery fragrance quite nice fragrance.
All in all, "Beau de Jour" is a beautiful fragrance, but nothing that hasn't been there before.

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The Sillage is quite okay, neither particularly strong nor really weak, so that he can be smelled quite well from a normal distance (i.e. where one normally talks to someone or the fragrance carrier passes by). The shelf life is pretty good as it lasts over 12 hours.

The bottle:
The flacon is as nice and high quality as you would expect from Tom Ford. It is dark brown, rectangular and looks like a column together with the distinctive lid. In addition, it sits well in the hand and can therefore also be sprayed on well.

Soo... that was one of Tom Ford's newest fragrances from 2019. First of all: Yes, it's beautiful. One smells beautiful scents and despite lavender it doesn't look really old-fashioned, but already contemporary or modern. But it's also the case that for some, especially those who already had a lot of scents under their noses, it might seem a bit unspectacular or even slightly boring, as the scent somehow has hardly anything new to offer and simply smells like a well-done men's scent that you might even know from Tom Ford himself. Well, everybody has to decide for himself, but you can test him!

It can be used especially well in autumn and winter and is actually suitable for many occasions. Although the sweetness encourages me to go out, he is rather a good daily companion for me. And certainly not only for pretty ones... *sigh* :D

Well, actually, that's it, too. Therefore I wish you all a nice evening, and until the next time :)

When I grow up...
- who doesn't know this childish statement? "When I grow up, I'll be..." Well I've grown up, 31 to be exact and some of the future wishes have actually become reality.
Well, today is not about my job or the car I drive, but about Beau de Jour from TF. And yet the initial statement already fits quite well.
When I grow up...

I tested the fragrance with us in Zurich after I happened to stumble across some very positive comments and statements here. And I must confess: He knocked me out the first time he saw me. The first thing I noticed was this incredible freshness consisting of lavender and very discreet spices. Even though I've never been to a barbershop, that's how I see it. The prelude is fresh, extremely flowery, but no powdery floridity, but something bitter, very strong and yet discreet.

After a short time, green, earthy and woody nuances were added to my scent experience. I searched again and again for symbols and allegories - and found none. I think that makes it almost impossible to describe this particular fragrance.

Sophisticated' is probably the most appropriate adjective I would think of for this fragrance. It smells incredibly mature, masculine, strong and self-confident - yet it does not immediately take up the entire room. The scent is loud in its very own way, loud already, yes, but as loud as the orchestra pit in a classical opera. The storm of Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

Yeah, I like that smell, no question about it.
Only after this extraordinary start and this perfect midfield the drydown gets a bit too old for me, without insulting anyone here. In the drydown it smells of a sweet-tart aftershave, which at the same time gets a light spiciness from pepper and is surrounded in its core by earthy and green nuances. I also perceive wood very clearly. Someone brought the comparison with 70s - Yes, come on.

Only I am an 80's child, if not only a half 80's child, because my childhood and youth probably took place more in the 90's than the 80's.

And therefore also the title and the conclusion of this comment: When I grow up...

The fragrance is a very big cinema, it is the Mercedes S-Class Luxury Line, equipped with white leather, mahogany wood and classical music, it is the noble cruise among trips, it is the villa in the country in Art Nouveau. All things I'd like to have when I'm older. But not now.
And it's exactly the same with this wonderful scent: give me another 10 or 15 years you beautiful Tom - and then you will be my signature scent.

Just when I grow up.
8.0 9.0 10.0 6.5/10

"Three Faces"
Strong start with aftershave with retro touch. Then came vanilla extract with a slight bitter note of burnt sugar. At the end came the twin brother "New Harlem" with his celery coffee with a lot of sugar note. Durability is incredibly good!

Flacon: I like well .
Sillage: quite strong.
Shelf life:8 hours minimum
8.0 9.0 9.0 10.0/10

Olli9
That's what Tom Ford smells like!
I'm just imagining vividly how Beau de Jour came about:

A lukewarm summer evening in New York, 2017. Tom Ford lets his Richard sink deep into his leather couch at home, it's one of those rare times that are not spent with work, but with pleasure. And what could give the master more pleasure in his spare time than to indulge in old, cinematic classics?

That Ford has a penchant for old films is probably well known from one or the other interview; and that his profession is moving image just as much as fashion and fragrance, he has proven as a director in the meantime.

The chips and the gin and tonic are ready. The only thing missing is the appropriate film title for the well-deserved relaxation evening. By chance, three days earlier is just one of the great classics of cinema to be reissued: Belle de Jour by Spanish director Luis Buñuel - a surreal-looking story of dominance and submission, eroticism and despair, a film that would rightly outshine 50 shades. On the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the classic (first played in 1967), the entire material was painstakingly reworked so that it runs across the flat screen in a completely new quality. So Tom and Richard indulge in the pleasure of film ... and admire the wonderful fashion that was completely tailor-made by Yves Saint Laurent.

Suddenly flashes of lightning shoot through the Tom Synapses ... and new associations are formed. Yves Saint Laurent ... Classic ... Belle de Jour ... and even before the credits end, he jumps up like a tarantula and makes a hectic phone call with his fragrance development team (who are used to his late calls by now).

Fast Forward two and a half years: Ford's new private blend "Beau de Jour" reaches the boutiques, a fragrance that strongly recalls the legendary Rive Gauche (by Yves Saint Laurent) ... and whose name is a clear allusion to the film.

I'm IMMATELY sure that the history of Beau de Jour was the same (with the exception that there were probably no chips on the table, but celery sticks with low fat dip). If I ever meet Ford, of course I'll ask him - and I'm sure that a knowing smile will flit over his lips and make any further answer superfluous
The scent itself: Last week I bought the 50ml version from Beck in Munich. The bottle is more chic than the 100ml portion, and I will take the 250ml refill swivel with me sometime in Heathrow. After a few days with the scent, I can only say: "Great class! Absolutely en par with Tuscan Leather and Tobacco Vanilla, which also means: Relatively linear and little development (apart from the very cool, high-quality lavender in the top note), which is good with the fragrance, though. The resemblance to Rive Gauche is striking, Beau de Jour is a little softer, cooler and less gay, but the two have more than earned the title of Duftzwillinge. I love Rive Gauche and (in fear of a reformulation) even allowed myself an additional flacon, which is still in its original packaging. Beau de Jour offers me the same fragrance experience as Rive Gauche, but brings a little variety into the game. Do you have to have both?

A wonderful clean scent that calms, soothes, appears incredibly elegant and yet has an aphrodisiac effect. Great Sillage and durability! This is always very important to me personally with a fragrance, because my sponge skin swallows many a fragrance within half an hour.

Despite its classic appearance, it does not smell old at all. I assume a certain maturity of the wearer, however, since he is more traditional and "arrived" than smells youthful. Tendency rather a men's fragrance, at a lady it could work, I can imagine however only badly
If you like Tom Ford's Private Line, or if you like Rive Gauche, you should definitely try the Beau de Jour! Could be love at first sniff.

By the way: Beau de Jour is probably THE fragrance from the Private Blend range that goes best with Tom Ford himself. Hence my headline "Tom Ford smells like this", which does not mean the brand, but the man.
8.0 8.0 8.0 7.5/10

Lavender accentuated herbal pianist
I usually sail around Tom Ford's creations, I've been too often disappointed by inflated, smooth, effect-shaping soufflé scents, which he's just cutting out in the spectrum of his summer scent collections.

Fortunately things are a little different here - the ingredients above promised something with more corners and edges in advance and indeed the "Schönling des Tages" is a more profiled journeyman. A lot of lavender in the entrance, herbaceously bordered, at first with plenty of basil and rosemary.

This has more format than some of its predecessors, since Ford is actually straight in the more classical sense of the word. Lavender remains etherically clear and slightly cool in the centre for a long time, but is embraced throughout by this certain spice board approach (also a lot of geranium), before it gradually rummages through some patchouli and amber and underlies itself a little sweetish-earthy-warming.

Interesting approach, personally a bit too sweeping in the middle part of the herb landscape, but otherwise successful.
8.0 9.0 9.0 9.0/10

A force
I bought the scent last week in London. Unlike in Germany, it is already available there. Interestingly, it is much cheaper at the airport than at Selfridges, for example.
To the fragrance I can only say that it directly knocks you down and I was so enthusiastic that I had to buy it directly. It has something spicy and the amber note is clear to smell. Of all the Tom Ford fragrances in my bathroom, Beau de Jour has the longest shelf life.
I was approached about the scent right in the office. An absolute recommendation. I seldom smelled anything so extraordinary

Syzygy73 9 months ago
Basil and amber soften the medicinal lavender, but pretty soon this becomes almost identical to Fougere D'argent. A little lazy Mr. Ford ...+3
ScentedGent 10 months ago
Really fun to wear when you're dressed to the nine!+1

by OvidiuH
by OvidiuH
by CubaMike
by CubaMike

Popular Tom Ford

Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Black Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Neroli Portofino (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) by Tom Ford Velvet Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford For Men (Eau de Toilette) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford White Patchouli by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Soleil Blanc (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Violet Blonde by Tom Ford