Black Orchid 2006 Eau de Parfum

Black Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford
Black Orchid (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for women and was released in 2006. The scent is floral-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.
Scent goes well with Encre Noire (Eau de Toilette)

David Apel

SandalwoodSandalwood
VanillaVanilla
VetiverVetiver
FrankincenseFrankincense

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 17.10.2021.

As the time passes
As the time passes we all are looking for new fragrances, right ? Well, there are some of the older ones that no matter how much time passes, they are still maintaining their places of glory.
Black Orchid by TF is one of them.
I haven't appreciate it this much from the beginning but I've learned to do so.
We are dealing with such a nice sweet scent, very chocolate-like, very creamy, dense and rich. The best combo of chocolate-floral scent that I've ever smelled. Very sensual, seductive scent, right to be worn on a special date night or a special event (also night time).
I would suggest it for fall/winter(especially).
You will sure get attention or if you don't, they will absolutely sure think that you are smelling phenomenal.
I don't know about the current batches or formulas but mine has a few years old and it's fantastic. Very nice fragrance.

Performance is not a problem.
10+ hours easily. And I'm getting away with just 2 sprays, no more needed.

Projection ? Very good projection also. Intoxicating I would dare to say in the first 2-3 hours and still present few more hours. You're leaving such a fine sillage when you are walking !

I think it's still worth it now, totally !
You should try it for yourself if you haven't already. I must try the Parfum version but tbh, this is already more than enough for me.

Overall : 8.6/10

Love from the 3 view
We met and it wasn't love at first sight. The first approach was a bit disturbing for my nose: is this mint and truffle cocktail? I don't like mint and it reminded me of after eight chocolate, which I don't like :(
The second try was, I'll give you another chance and not wash away.
After 2, 3 hours a warm scent reached me.... nix mint or truffle. It was sooo envelopingly beautiful and deep at the same time, I sank deeper and deeper into this scent with every breath.
It was love and it managed to take a special place in my collection.
Summermic
Flowery Truffle Afgano Faux Pas!
A co-worker wore Black Orchid to the office one day. But only once. After that, she never dared wear it again. How tragic.

Even in the hallway, I noticed the unusual, dark resinous note.

"Damn, someone's wearing Black Afgano here, isn't he?" it blurted out loudly in my affectation. Then I poked my head into the 'causative' office.
I was so paralyzed that I ungallantly asked "Is that you? "
I grobholz.
"What are you wearing?"
The poor girl turned bright red.
Just stuttered "I guess that's my perfume"
"is that Black Afgano?"
"Uh, no. It's called... sort of...Black Orchid!"

I can still smell it today, 8 months later, when I drop by occasionally. Dark, resinous, floral gourmand.... I'm sure it's just the association with the black haired young woman. But this scent was impressive.... As was the very pretty young lady! She first symbolized to me the sweetness, the gormandizing of the whole situation.

And I was on the wrong Black Afgano scent. What a faux pas. That too. Chunky AND full of shit!

Black Afgano on flowered truffles. That's what Black Orchid should really be called. O.K., Lord! Throw your brains out of the sky...
If Bogotá were a fragrance
It was rainy today, Sunday. At least here with us. It was cool and expansive when my partner aired the apartment after lunch. I'd already retired to bed, the same place I'd spent all of last week - with a high fever, aching limbs and bones. Completely well it was not yet, no, but on the mend, that's where I am.

Where was I...?
Ah well, rainy, cold and expansive Sunday.
Perfect for wearing a very special scent even in a sick bed, Tom Ford's Black Orchid.

My relationship to this fragrance is at least as divided as my attitude to today's weather - or my relationship to Bogotá.

Bogotá, Colombia's capital with a population of 7.18 million, is located at an altitude of over 2600 meters above sea level. And this has the consequence that it is always cool, mostly cloudy and often very rainy and windy there.

Bogotá, with emphasis on the á and not the first o. Bogotá, hate and love, joy and sorrow, happiness and unhappiness for me perfectly combined in a single city. Just like Black Orchid by Tom Ford.

Black Orchid starts out harsh, expansive, overwhelming, and unconventional for me. Like Bogotá, with its harsh climate, the expansive continuous rain, the overwhelming impressions when you first drive along the Séptima, Bogotá's 5th Avenue, and unconventional, like when you are served instant coffee in Bogotá, where Colombia is known for its excellent coffee cultivation.

Harsh and expansive because of the alcoholic note at the opening of the fragrance, which penetrates almost every crack of the room wall, paired with the black truffle, which comes across so overwhelming and unconventional. This is already joined at this point by lush ylang-ylang and slightly citrusy notes that remind me of the sumptuous desserts at Bogotá's top restaurants, followed by the slight citrusiness that you detect in coffee, the "tinto" as they tend to call it in Colombia.

At its heart, it remains lush, followed by high decadence and heaviness. As lush as Colombia's ubiquitous arequipe, a high-calorie caramel cream made with milk, cream and sugar. As decadent as Bogotá's luxurious malls, where this cream is sold at horrendous prices. A small keg for the price of an average monthly income. Runs. As hard as the lives of the workers, who have to earn their wages in a brutal way with exhausting and risky jobs.
There is melancholy, inertia and yet the inclination and desire to live luxuriously, the urge to get something from the arequipe cake with whipped cream and icing.
It gets easier when you leave the mall and get some of the floral notes in the city's perpetual spring, "la primavera entera". For despite the city's 2600-meter altitude and constant rain, Bogotá has a remarkable flora on display, due in no small part to the fact that Colombia is so outrageously close to the equator. Flowers of all colors and sizes, sweet and gorgeous, glorious and light as heaven.

To this, one may perceive woody notes in the heart of the fragrance just as in the heart of Bogotá. There is a whole neighborhood in Bogotá where carpentry follows carpentry. I detect this woody scent very subtly in Black Orchid as well. However, we do not stay in this neighborhood, but move on.

Meanwhile, it has become night and in the Zona T, the entertainment mile of Bogotá, we come to the base and the starting point of our imaginary tour of Colombia's capital. Here, hip bartenders mix us opulent drinks with vanilla and tonka bean. Bogotá's upper-class gentlemen wear patchouli and other woody aftershaves, while their ladies prefer balsamic and incense-heavy fine perfumes.
The night is still young and the party goes on into the wee hours. At Andrés, where you can drop as much cash in one night as an average-wage family man earns in three months. It's where you meet Colombia's high society. There, where I hate and love the city the most.

Black Orchid is the scent of Bogotá for me.

I love Bogotá, the place where I lived, grew up, became big. Bogotá is home to me, my mama's adopted home, the place that gives me goosebumps every evening when I see the sun, which shows itself around late afternoon, slowly setting over the city, back there, by the Andes. Bogotá is the feeling of attraction for me, the attraction towards the golden city, "El Dorado", as Bogotá's international airport is rightfully called.
That's what Black Orchid is for me, too. A piece of home, goosebumps, attraction, gold.

But I hate Bogotá, the place where I watched the gap between rich and poor widen. Bogotá is for me decadence, which seems to me almost unbearable, when I see how the upper class first dines in the Andrés and then celebrates and money seems to play no role - and the family doctor of my mom earns as much as others spend there in an evening. Bogotá is expansive to me when I imagine the neighborhood where I lived being guarded by security and our house fenced in with barbed wire. Expansive - and off-putting. Bogotá is harsh for me because of the weather, the terrible traffic, the constant congestion, and the disfuctional public transportation.
Black Orchid is that for me, too. Decadence in a bottle, sheer unbearable at times, expansive and harsh.

And yet I love Bogotá, the place that triggers longing in me when I can't be there. The place that moves me to tears every time the plane accelerates and takes off, and the lights and streets of Bogotá grow smaller and more insignificant below me. The place that causes melancholy in me because I miss Colombia and my mama there so much. And the place that causes feelings of happiness and serenity in me when I get off the plane in El Dorado and hear "Bienvenidos al aeropuerto internacional de El Dorado de Bogotá" over the announcements in the airport.
That's Black Orchid for me, too. Longing, emotion, melancholy, happiness and serenity.

And every single time I land in Bogotá, my mom is waiting there, takes me in her arms and I hold her, even at 33 years old. Then she says "Bienvenido a casa, welcome home" and I feel complete contentment and security.
And that's what Black Orchid is to me, too. Like a loving hug, the feeling of contentment and security.

Only one thing Black Orchid will never be.
A replacement for my endless love-hate relationship with Bogotá
GedeonSo
Definitely not love at first sight
This scent was definitely anything but "love at first sniff".

The scent was given to me because it was too strong for my mom and she didn't know what to do with it. Admittedly, something bothered me about this scent at first too. I just didn't know exactly what it was.

It passed in the meantime 2.5 years, in which this fragrance found no use and just stood sadly on my shelf. Again and again I smelled at him, applied him now and then times on my wrist, and again and again I did not know whether I love or hate this fragrance.

Meanwhile, I have learned to love this fragrance and must say, this fragrance is definitely in the top 3 designer fragrances of me. And that, although he was once at the bottom.

The opening of this fragrance is absolutely room filling. If I spray this fragrance on, I am struck by a gloomy, dirty fragrance cloud.
2-3 Sprüher of this fragrance and you come
without further problems through the entire day.

I don't know exactly what it is, but I detect something slightly chocolaty about this scent. Very dark, black, bitter chocolate. And otherwise just indescribable dark and dirty notes for me, along with a very dark floral touch.

The H/S on this fragrance is atomic. As mentioned before, 2-3 sprays get me through a full day and I'm not over-scented during it. Definitely not for enclosed spaces unless you want your office to yourself.

For me, this is a totally unisex scent. Neither in the masculine, nor in the feminine direction, as all directions are covered here. This fragrance is definitely not a fragrance that meets only good comments.

One thing should be said, however: who wants to reap without end compliments, should rather keep a great distance from this fragrance - otherwise others will do it.
SillageLover
The ultimate in the perfume world
Yes, many will bang their heads against the wall, as Jeremy so nicely says, and yes, many will be puzzled by this review, but for me, this scent is one of the very few "perfect scents." Before you stop reading, let me explain why.
1. It's a "true" unisex fragrance that develops differently on every skin. If a woman wears this perfume, I wonder how I could ever like this scent so much, yet if I wear this scent, I feel like the Godfather.... Rough, edgy, dark, gritty and mysterious. Damn it Tom, what made you decide to release such a polarizing scent as the first fragrance of your brand.... No risk, no fun, I'd say.
2. Absolutely unique DNA that you won't soon notice while shopping or anywhere else. A, in my opinion, key point to choosing a signature scent.
3. Very good H/S. Lasts at least 10 hours with continuous sillage on my skin.
4. People will remember you guys. Whenever I wear this fragrance and meet a person again who smelled this fragrance on me, they say, "You wore this extraordinary perfume last time, didn't you?" In my opinion, this is also an important criterion for choosing a signature scent.
5. Polarizing. A criterion, which can be seen positively or negatively. Folks, this fragrance has punch and beyond that shy of nothing and no one. If you don't wear this scent, it wears you, so be aware that this scent is not for everyone. It's exactly the same with fragrance DNA. In Europe, floral oriental fragrances don't really go down well, especially on men (hence perhaps the questionable rating of this fragrance).
In summary, this fragrance is a true masterpiece for me. Even if Tom Ford per se is not a niche brand, he makes it clear through such creations that the fragrance DNA of most Tom Ford fragrances are definitely in the niche area. From my point of view a must-have!
Love :)

A fragrance of the old school ... Powerful, Brutal a unique
Short and painless Black Orchid is a super horny fragrance with a brutal durability and sillage even in 2021...
The is dark, mysterious, chocolaty but not too sweet has what floral and something woody Keeps the whole day has an aura beyond good and evil and is a modern classic ... Who knows what is in 10 years ... Was TF sold? there is the fragrance yet? Now just an absolute bomb!
And for all those who are not sure because the almost everywhere as a women's fragrance is written out ... Don't worry! Yes, it's a bit feminine but basically all fragrances are per se unisex or? If you like the fragrance just wear it ... i am anyway not a big fan of fragrances to gender.
Yes Dior Sauvage on a woman ... hmm Difficult but why not? Just try it out... Depending on skin type, a fragrance also works quite differently ... Fahrenheit for example. one says he smells of leather the other he smells of gasoline and with a woman there could perhaps the lavender hervorstechen ...
As far as I remember Tom Ford meant also once that all its düft unisex are and I believe its düft are mostly always advertised by a man and a woman model ... so try it out if the scents appeal to you, then wear what you like ... And seriously I am glad that there is a fragrance that remains true to its DNA ... many other houses bring constantly "For Him" and "For Her" versions on the market in addition to a thousand EDP, EDT, Eau Fraiche variants where I think to myself "What is the real DNA of the fragrance now?" Here is a fragrance there is not for Him and For Her on it he is simply a fragrance point from the end .... try it out, wear it or let it be ...
Guerlinchen
Mysterious beauty in black robe
After a reasonable testing period, I would now like to try to put my impressions of Black Orchid into words here. Yes, I ordered it blind...Bold, I know. It was with great respect that the first spray landed on my skin. Oh yes but I was a little afraid that the so often described musty vipe in the scent would knock me out - but no, it was immediately all magical on me! Luck oh luck! I didn't really need the long testing period, I liked it straight away but I always find it more respectful to really get to know a fragrance before writing about it. On me, I quickly pick up something cinnamony (although it doesn't say so in the pyramid). It is very warm and densely woven, has a lot of depth.It melts into my skin very quickly. I smell the orchid out.It stays like that with me for quite a while. Later in the drydown, vanilla and sandalwood come through delicately and that's what stays with me for hours. The absolute madness is it however in my hair - there I could smell it still 2 days clearly! What remains there is again this cinnamon with a touch of vanilla and maybe very slightly orchid and super soft incense. So I perceive it at least.At the very beginning I thought - but, it's more for men but since it blends so well with me, has this depth and is really something special, I wear it definitely! Why?! Because I can - and I want to. My first thought was - smells expensive, special, deep, wicked, not mainstream! Ui, there you need as a woman but eggs (sorry!) to rock this...Definitely red lipstick and something nice, black to wear -Yes, I can!
One time a friend of mine "secretly" took a sprayer. It was in the living room and I was standing in the kitchen yelling -Ey, don't use my Tom Ford, you thief! In other words - it's more than room filling. Said friend, by the way, is also quite enchanted and will be getting it soon.
I'm very glad that I was here by a dear person once again really "angefixt", which led to me the final impulse to buy this mysterious beauty, in its deep black and valuable noble flacon.
I look forward to more, beautiful and exciting moments and experiences with this special treasure.
May he carry me on his dark wings away(d)...

Scent: As described, special, deep, warm, dense, sexy, intense.

Sillage: room filling, not too much application would be better.

Longevity: Above average, especially in hair and on clothing.

Flacon: Look at it - classy, valuable, beautiful - great feel.

Price: for what it is, completely in order- who spies an offer so much the better.

Leprince069
You'll be admired or hated for it..
This scent is definitely loud and penetrating - but not necessarily in a negative sense. It will definitely be noticed. If you step into the room with it, it will probably drown out 95% of the smells for a short duration, as long as it's not a cow barn or oud in the air. In my opinion, it only suits confident, extroverted characters. Kind of an "artist scent". I think of musicians or fashion designers. Somehow just very edgy the whole thing. It's actually rather feminine, almost diva-like in my opinion - even if you can wear it very well as a man, if you're not the classic rough bearded rocker. As a rule, the fragrance is likely to meet with rejection in everyday life, because it is just very very present and by this "sweet whiskey" pulls intensely in the nose. Only something for events and well-frequented places. The whole fragrance simply polarizes extremely - either positive or negative. There is nothing in between. Everyone will have an opinion. Price / performance is - provided you like him - really good
Dream !!!
Wow what velvety heavy beauty I let myself miss there for a long time.
The fragrance smells so luxurious and high quality for me.

Am from the first sniff an absolute fan, he is different than many other fragrances.

The has character. But what for one!

The fragrance unfolds beautifully on my skin I smell for the first time the citrus note that disappear nevertheless relatively quickly.

And then I smell spicy / sweet notes and a little anise a little cinnamon and then reveals such a great delicious high quality chocolate decorated with the noblest orchids...omg that makes him so fine so super fine and elegant and luxurious for my nose!

I also smell some honey out of it. So warm so beguiling and sensual!
A masterpiece!
Why did I discover it so late?

The fragrance is a dream if you could manifest the fragrance figuratively then it would be for me Shimmering real gold powder..

Find him rather feminine, see him on a great elegant well-groomed woman as well as a chic man.
Yes it is absolutely unisex.

I do not know why but when I sniff him then I think of heat / of warmth therefore also the image of gold powder in my head.

It might as well be a Cleopatra scent I think....

I rather see a racy woman with black long neat hair

And tanned skin with a smart elegant blazer and her gold jewellery.
Her skin has that glow in the warm afternoon / evening sunlight. She is creamed with body lotion and comes directly from a spa or from a wellness vacation and has even vlt recently still in Egypt or in Dubai vacation made and smells exactly the same..
Exactly how I imagine him :-)
My interpretation of the fragrance :)

However, very very successful and I love from today :)))

FerasFeras 3 months ago
I don’t understand how this fragrance has a 7.8 rating, it’s easy a 9 if not 9.5 fragrance,. When it came out it did change the Perfume game
Blako11Blako11 4 months ago
It has an intoxicating power and protection, on my skin, the notes parade in such a sensual way that it makes me feel narcotised.
Redsn4pperRedsn4pper 1 year ago
Powerful, mysterious, sexy. People will notice when you wear this fragrance. It is THAT good and THAT powerful. Stays until the next morning
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 2 years ago
An unisex floral bomb with a creamy, dark and sweet touch of chocolate and black truffle over a Woody and vanilla background. Wonderful!
TruckladyTrucklady 2 years ago
BO, I tried, darling, I did. We just don't get along. You dislike me as much as I dislike you. Nothing personal. Truce?
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 3 years ago
Still one of the most opulent perfumes ever.
PioPio 3 years ago
Now, this is an intriguing fragrance. For both mature and self-assured women and men.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 4 years ago
This is a man's perfume or at most it is unisex.
It is too masculine to be considered a feminine scent only.
Its scent is just divine.
HajuvanaHajuvana 5 years ago
Wait... an aquatic floral gourmand? Congrats on the worst idea ever. The fragrance is great fun, though ...and approximating wearable.

by Smitty
by Smitty
by LadyLuxifer
by LadyLuxifer
by Dovlicaaa
by Dovlicaaa
Dunkle Blüten und tiefe Vanille - surrend anziehend und außergewöhnlich.
by Voula
by HsChen
by HsChen
Für Fresh21 ;)
by Entenradio
Ich hab Ihn reingelassen:-)
by IoanaP
by LeMiKo
by LeMiKo
by Kallipso
by Kallipso
drowning in the sweet nectar from deep within your black orchid petals, I'm a drunk hummingbird high on your sexual cocaine, spin me up in a web of lies and deceit, I'm happy to be eaten up alive.
by Lidahriga
by Hanismells
by TheDorn81
by TheDorn81

Popular Tom Ford

Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Lost Cherry (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Beau de Jour (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Amber Absolute by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather 16 by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua by Tom Ford Eau de Soleil Blanc by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Minérale by Tom Ford Lavender Extrême by Tom Ford Vert d'Encens by Tom Ford