Black Orchid 2006Eau de Parfum

Black Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford
Black Orchid (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for women and was released in 2006. The scent is floral-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.
Scent goes well with Encre Noire (Eau de Toilette)

David Apel

Top Notes Top NotesBlack truffle, Bergamot, Blackcurrant, Ylang-ylang
Heart Notes Heart NotesBlack orchid, Lotus wood, Floral notes, Fruity notes
Base Notes Base NotesBalsam, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Vetiver, Frankincense

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 19.01.2021.

Beauty in cheerful melancholy
Orchid, queen of flowers.
Mysterious, delicate, and as in my ungreen hands, not really durable. No ordinary cut flower or common rose.
Probably for this very reason orchids exert a magical effect. Tropical flowers in all kinds of colors and shapes. Only one thing they do not have unfortunately, an inherent smell...

If I had to assign this plant necessarily a figure, then the orchid would be for me a petite, dark-haired woman with pitch-black hair, pale skin and red lips. A bit like Mortitia Adams from the famous Adams Family, or Angelina Jolie in her role as Maleficent, the dark fairy. (Ok, Angelina isn't really petite, but fits in all the better because of her tendency to be depressed)

Maybe some of the comments and statements here have shaped my image of it. From morbid, dark and wicked is here the speech.
At the same time, I must say that the fragrance on myself (male, also hardly petite, fair skin and light hair) initially seems relatively cheerful, bright and dazzling. There is a certain opulence to it that cannot be denied. After some time, despite everything, a fine melancholy resonates. The fruity decreases and darker, warmer tones dim the basic mood.

Over most of the course I take thereby the currant as a fruity, metallic note over a slightly sweet butter biscuit base.
I can't make out the other notes in detail, the incense completely eludes me.

Black Orchid is a fragrance that is so completely different: engaging, strongly present and somehow definitely a bit diva-like and melancholy. A little conceited, a little difficult, but fascinating. You're too special for every day, or every evening for that matter, but maybe that's not how you want to be - you're not made for housework, don't bother with gardening or even tax forms. Yours is the grand entrance, the evening, the fireworks, but also the contemplative silence, in which I have you particularly happy around me.
My father's new wife!
My mother passed away a few years ago, after a long, difficult illness as it is commonly called. She had cancer. But only my father knew how hard it was, especially for him. For a long time after that, Dad struggled with himself and life, couldn't get going, was listless and let himself go. He was no longer a pretty sight, and he refused help when it was offered. Then he met a new life partner and everything changed.

Now dad goes straight home after work immediately, always, every day! He unlocks the front door and goes straight to her room. There she sits in the high-backed armchair, smiling at him. She is already waiting impatiently for him to come. For him, this is the highlight of the day. The greeting is a gentle kiss, a fleeting caress and a catching of her friendly gaze and a breath of her fabulous scent. She smells so wonderful. Often he sits down with her and tells her about his day. Sometimes he nods away for a moment or grabs a beer and enjoys the quiet, relaxing time of the end of the day.

The two have been together for just under a year now. They have supper together at the dining room table, as they do every time, and then sit on the canapé in unison. The television is on in the background. She has thrown on a wide, fluffy scarf and wears under it, as usually, the skimpy, lace-trimmed "little black dress".

This "little black dress", he had bought her. He was very embarrassed at the time and to lighten up the awkward situation in the store, he asked the saleswoman for a suitable perfume. She seemed to have been waiting for it and very quickly brought a small black bottle with a golden ribbon and the smiling, as he thought, smug assurance that it was just the right thing. She had not been mistaken!

Today, the two, the black party dress and Black Orchid are one. He smells of her sweet fruity fruit, woody hay floral and musty flowery moss. He can smell a fleshy body, as well as the black, already somewhat stained dress and very clearly voluptuous sweat, although she never sweats. Thereby also sweet-berry juice, velvety wood and a strong flower. The notes to be described as dark, creamy-earthy, foul, damp-musty and mushroomy are the aromas that form the sinful background for this, to make the fragrance seem so passionate, mysterious and physical.

My dad doesn't really know all of this in such detail, but from the first spray he found the dense and dark scent very appealing and on his sweetheart the smell became more and more beautiful and enchanting. It's like she and the perfume are fused, alive, quivering and he's a part of it. It makes him very happy. Applied Black Orchid almost every evening before going to bed, Saturday and Sunday gladly in the morning and often a splash more.

Dad and his new wife are almost always together. Except for the time he spends at work, they both live their togetherness. They eat and drink together, watch television, and are there for each other. Most of all, they sleep with and with each other. His new love is of a quiet nature, she doesn't tell stories and she can't cook either. Nevertheless, he considers her his confidante, his dear wife.

Today I visit father as every week on Sunday afternoon for coffee, also to see how the "old man" is doing. These meetings are always nice hours and he looks forward to them. Gently he grasps his wife around the waist and carefully places her in the large wardrobe, far behind his suits. Never would he get the perverted idea of just letting the air out the way I often do with my Lisa!

With thanks and regards to my father.

Thank you for your companionship into a strange but imaginable world!
Vampiric passion
White as snow, as red as blood and as black-haired as ebony...
A vampire's sucking off girls by the dozen. But his love belongs to only one: the black orchid, which is said to have youth and vitality. Soaked in noble patchouli, this fragrance is as mysterious, wicked, dark, full-bodied and intense as the atmosphere of the bedroom and the wine cellar of Count Dracula The wearer of this fragrance is seduced will-lessly into the dark world, where magic triumphs and everything is possible.
An opulent fruity orchid, tenderly coated in sweet vanilla and teasingly kissed by incense. Tender notes of ripe dark grapes, fine truffle and chocolate are in the air and take away the orchid's floral opulence. Very erotic, and noble for the big entrance or the big seduction. Not quietly, but loudly.
Poison Ivy
I would like to introduce my femme fatale to you today. I must confess, love at first sight certainly wasn't this! A few times, before I smelled it for the first time, I had already heard of this seemingly very polarizing scent. One winter evening, while browsing for a fragrance for my girlfriend, I stumbled upon the rather meager Tom Ford department in a large perfumery chain. At that time I hadn't smelled any Tom Ford scent yet. TF - for me at that time an intangible topic, highly praised, glorified and far from any imagination how such a scent could smell. Then the first glance, the first interest in the shiny black bottle, the fine grooves running evenly from the lid along the entire bottle. The golden metal plaque, in which the promising letters "TOM FORD" are embedded, and the golden band under the bottle cap. A bottle design that has extraterrestrial features and is somewhat reminiscent of a vial from the alien universe. Timidly, but with burning desire, I took the bottle from the shelf, opened the cap and let the spray sink once, twice, three times onto the test strip. Even before I could get my nose close to the strip, a smell rose into my nose, which made me frown. "Please what" I thought. "Is this it?!". I now moved the test strip towards my nose and inhaled. To be honest, the first time I noticed the smell, it startled me. The first adjectives that came to my mind were repulsive, foul, heavy, morbid and disgusting. Qualities that you don't necessarily want to ascribe to a fragrance that you want to wear on a date or at a dinner party. Full of disappointment and disillusionment, I put the bottle back on the shelf and turned back to designer fragrances that were, in my opinion, more wearable.

It should now take quite a while until we meet again.

2 years later, high summer, 37 degrees Celsius in a gothic and brick paved small town in northern Germany. We just came from a wonderful holiday on the Danish coast and made a short stopover of a few days in the small town. After a relaxed breakfast, which was almost in the second half of the day, we strolled through the enchanting alleys and after a visit to the bookstore we went to the perfumery on the opposite side of the street. On a "I just want to test one or two fragrances" we went into the holy halls and after not too long it stood in front of me again, this bottle, which had stayed in my memory so much. What exactly was the impulse that made me reach for the bottle, I can't say anymore, but I was already about to grab a test strip and watch the spray mist sink onto the slightly rough paper surface. Again I led the test strip to my nose. But what follows now is absolutely inexplicable to me and in no way resembles what I smelled a good two years earlier. I closed my eyes and breathed in:

It started fresh, tangy bergamot and a few nuances of black sour berries. But the prelude only lasts a fraction of a second. Then something creeps up from underneath, from very far down. Opulent, heavy and dark. It doesn't want to reveal itself right away, but it makes it unmistakably clear that it is there, lurking among subtropical plants. But the black truffle is not the only thing that appears before you. On closer inspection, you now take in a whole bouquet of tropical, beautiful plants, of which it cannot be said beyond a doubt that their beauty and seductive smell do not want to conceal their toxic nature. And then it shows itself, the Poison Ivy in this beautiful, but also deadly greenhouse. The single black orchid, which claims the centre for itself with its presence. At her feet and somewhere in the dark, a heavy, sweet and balsamic breeze with a characteristic of incense makes itself felt, which unmistakably underlines the presence of the orchid and leaves no doubt about its sublimity. After some time, a slight hint of a soft, almost Bourbon-like vanilla can still be perceived, which must grow in the immediate vicinity.

I opened my eyes again, but by then it had already happened to me. Poison Ivy had managed to lure me into her garden and let me fall for her. Since then, Tom Ford's Black Orchid has been a very favourite part of my collection

Here in the following a short description without prose. ?

A very expressive floral fragrance, with a fresh, slightly citrusy and berry-sour start, which quickly expresses its heavy and floral opulence, through the black truffle and black orchid. As it progresses and dries, it becomes sweetish, balsamic with a hint of soft natural vanilla and a hint of incense. The shelf life is sensational and can be perceived on clothes well into the next day. The sillage is also very strong and you will definitely be noticed. The bottle is, in my opinion, a work of art that attracts all eyes without screaming "Here, here, look at me! Only the spray head could create a slightly larger spray mist. Like all TF scents, this one is unisex. However, I perceive this one more as a masculine scent with feminine characteristics than the other way around. However, I definitely recommend to test the scent before and maybe more than once. ?
That was my party scent in 2010
I've grown old. Meanwhile 30 years old, job, wife and child, this perfume will always remind me of my party time at around 20. Just awesome. Tight black shirt, a few splashes of black orchid and off to the taxi with my friends. The taxi driver would certainly have wished to wear a mask, as is customary today, just as we all got dieselled. Arrived at the club the perfume unfolds really nice. What at the beginning seems to be a little "scratchy and stinging" is now very well balanced and is really fun. So let's get on the dance floor and go until sometime. Monday uni can be saved anyway so you have enough time to sleep in.
I have never been asked so often about a fragrance - but I don't really care what others think about it. But that scent on a man really does radiate something.
How the Dift smells others can describe here surely better. I find it elegant, dark, not really flowery. Definitely something for the evening on special occasions. Everyone in the office would probably puke if I showed up in this.
Put on Your Black Dress
Maybe it would have made sense to wait until Halloween with this comment on Black Orchid instead of writing it in the middle of that bright, hot Saturday morning, and not only because I could go swimming at the same time. Or maybe that's exactly why it's appropriate now.
Because what comes next is, let's say, a little delicate. So maybe you'd better take the precaution of picking out the playlist of My Chemical Romance or The Cure, although they might be a little bit too life-affirming. Alternatively, you can also try Verdi's Requiem, as long as it's full of boom, because you need it now. Turn up the knob, be brave, because it has to be done, the scent requires it, let's talk about death today.
Not your favorite subject? You're not alone. We've managed to keep death out of our lives quite well, which is actually a bit short-sighted, because in the end (right there!) the topic does catch up with us. We have built up a lot of defensive spells against it, the factual sterility of our intensive care units for example, which misleadingly suggests to us that life is controllable, a matter of technology so to speak. Or also the cultivated boredom of German cemeteries with their uniform planting and twenty-year lease contracts for grave areas, everything has its order, even death, and as we all know, those who are bored are not scared.
But why are we so unfriendly about it? That there is another way is shown by a look at our European neighbours: Have you ever been to a cemetery in Sicily, say, in Palermo? You don't have to wait for All Saints' Day, a normal Sunday morning after Mass is enough.
Between marble statues of weeping angels and crypts, as big as family houses - but more imaginatively designed - there are camping chairs and tables, loosely arranged in groups, in the middle of a sea of flowers in different stages of decay. An unbelievable number of good-humoured people are floating around there, very lively. One makes an excursion to the cemetery, one uses it as a recreation area so to speak, a thing that is practical as one meets a lot of people at once. Nothing is wrong with cemetery peace. It's like, "Gianluca, you want another panino?" "Stop playing ball, Allessandrina, we're praying for grandpa." And for Zia Angelica and Don Corleone too, for safety. You never know who's listening. And above it all there is a fragrance, yes, it's a fragrance you never forget I think Tom Ford's, the rock stars of the perfume scene, must have made their company outing in a place like this. Maybe it's because as a rock star, you have a certain closeness to the other side of the line, for professional reasons, so to speak. In any case, David Apel must have stuck his little nose into the air of a Sicilian cemetery on Sunday morning and said: "Baby - what a great scent. I'll make a perfume out of it And there it is.
Forget about the black truffle. You don't get black truffles in cemeteries. The fragrance starts with a handful of refreshing moist earth, cool, tart and pleasantly musty. Heavy, very heavy blossoms blossom into this musty scent; whether these are black orchids I can't tell, because I've never smelled any, but I could definitely imagine it. They exude an intense, sweet, dark, almost narcotic scent, morbid like a Trakl poem, the pure joy of decay. In addition an indefinite note of old flower water, no, no, no fear of contact please, it smells quite fresh and pleasant, a little stale, but that's ok. There is a very subtle fruity note, not yet fermented, but not far away. In addition lotus, balm, like in an ancient Egyptian death ritual. Whoever has gotten into the fragrance up to this point has also surrendered to it, just as one surrenders almost lustfully to one's fate, and one waits for the inevitable patchouli, so to speak, as a logical consequence, as the final blow. But no! A little incense passes by, very delicately dosed. And finally, the dark undertow... The scent becomes soft, sweet, almost cheerful. A consoling vanilla tenderly lays its scent over us like a veil that softly draws everything. As a smiling promise of otherworldly pleasures, so to speak. And we remain a little speechless with amazement.
When do you wear such a fragrance?
Well, there are obvious possibilities, the gothic festival for example, the rendezvous with your loved one at midnight at the local cemetery (don't forget black lace gloves!).
Or else...
Why not just do it at the office? To open up break time conversations the other way: "How was your weekend?" "Where are you going on holiday?" "What are you gonna do after you cross over, you know, to the other side?" "
Maybe that's what the scent is trying to tell us: Maybe we just need to relax a little with the subject of death. It's part of life, after all. In this sense: Welcome to the black parade! And thanks for reading it.
Not of this world...!

Black Orchid by Tom Ford is simply an event, overwhelming! There's no perfume that has ever hit me as hard as this. I can neither put this fragrance into words nor break it down into its components as I usually like to do. That's why I don't even try it here. It's a prime example of what you can do with fragrance ingredients and how you can create a whole work of art from them. I put it on, I am speechless about this fullness of scent, which fascinates me in no time. This fragrance is so deep, so opulent, so sensual, yes, literally breathtaking
It lasts almost forever and its sillage is enormous. I can smell it for miles. And it's completely incomprehensible to me why here at Parfumo some of the more disdainful 08/15 fragrances easily take the 8 mark, but not this one. Probably it polarizes too much ...!?

There are perhaps one or two fragrances that, if I had to choose, I would rather choose when it comes to choosing the fragrance for the (rest of) my life, because they are more versatile and undogmatic, but there is only this one fragrance whose fragrance experience I will never forget and which I would take with me to my grave.
Song: The Mission - 'Love me to death (my flower)' [1986]
twisted
bin
in (d)a head note... slips!
lost, confused, puzzled

have
in (m)a heart note... lost!
fermented, spoiled, destructive

are
in (our) base... enchanted!
...is bequeathed to us... damn it!

different!
forget it!

Exclusively for winter nights
Black Orchid is simply powerful, like a witch's love potion. We are talking here
by the witches of Eastwick-level. Even Jeremy wouldn't use more than 2 sprays (or would he?)

It's thick, lush and Gothic. It's the kind of perfume the bosses of Dark Souls wear when they go to an awards ceremony. It automatically gives you an HP boost.

At the beginning of LOTR, when Sauron is about to fight the Last Alliance of Men, he probably wore this perfume.

Michael Jackson, Prince, Lenny Kravitz, Andre 3000, Dennis Rodman and Meta World Peace can rock the EdP version anywhere and anytime with consummate ease (the first two may not be anymore). Summer and winter. It doesn't matter.

Mortals will have to use this potent concoction with caution. For winter nights only.
Ixtlol Xochitl
It was so quiet you could have heard a pin drop. There it was in all its gloomy glory. My work. Would it stand up to him? Many men had died because of her, would I be next? Sweat ran down my face, shimmering green flies sat on my mouth, I had no strength to chase them away. The turquoise pond glowed ominously under the giant trees of the palace garden. Too often I had to watch how the water surface curled and turned blood red until the water spirits had finished their deadly work.

The ruler sat motionless and covered with jewels on his throne. His face resembled a mask. Ruler of life and death. With my watchful eyes I perceived the numbing scent of the black orchid. Its scent mingled with the scent of the luxuriant blossoms of the palace garden, the sweaty smell of the courtiers, the scent of chocolatl, which the emperor loved above all else, and the wisp of incense from the nearby temple pyramid, mixed with the sweet smell of decay. The cries of the martyred burned in my soul.

At last a smile spread over the face of the ruler. A sigh went through the crowd.

Ixtlol Xochitl, the black flower, was worth a kingdom.

Redsn4pperRedsn4pper 9 months ago
Powerful, mysterious, sexy. People will notice when you wear this fragrance. It is THAT good and THAT powerful. Stays until the next morning
TaberneroTabernero 9 months ago
The name perfectly defines the aroma. long lasting and a more feminine than masculine scent
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 2 years ago
An unisex floral bomb with a creamy, dark and sweet touch of chocolate and black truffle over a Woody and vanilla background. Wonderful!
TruckladyTrucklady 2 years ago
BO, I tried, darling, I did. We just don't get along. You dislike me as much as I dislike you. Nothing personal. Truce?
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 2 years ago
Still one of the most opulent perfumes ever.
PioPio 2 years ago
Now, this is an intriguing fragrance. For both mature and self-assured women and men.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
This is a man's perfume or at most it is unisex.
It is too masculine to be considered a feminine scent only.
Its scent is just divine.
HajuvanaHajuvana 4 years ago
Wait... an aquatic floral gourmand? Congrats on the worst idea ever. The fragrance is great fun, though ...and approximating wearable.

by Smitty
by Smitty
by LadyLuxifer
by LadyLuxifer
by Dovlicaaa
by Dovlicaaa
Dunkle Blüten und tiefe Vanille - surrend anziehend und außergewöhnlich.
by Voula
by Controversy
by Controversy
Für Fresh21 ;)
by Entenradio
Ich hab Ihn reingelassen:-)
by Parfummaster
by TURQUOISE
by TURQUOISE
by Kallipso
by Kallipso
drowning in the sweet nectar from deep within your black orchid petals, I'm a drunk hummingbird high on your sexual cocaine, spin me up in a web of lies and deceit, I'm happy to be eaten up alive.
by LeMiKo
by Bosworth
by TheDorn81
by TheDorn81

Popular Tom Ford

Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Lost Cherry (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Beau de Jour (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Ombré Leather 16 by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud Intense by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua by Tom Ford Vert d'Encens by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Amber Absolute by Tom Ford White Suede (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Minérale by Tom Ford