Black Orchid 2006Eau de Parfum

Black Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford
Black Orchid (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for women and was released in 2006. The scent is floral-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.
Scent goes well with Encre Noire (Eau de Toilette)

David Apel

Top Notes Top NotesBlack truffle, Bergamot, Blackcurrant, Ylang-ylang
Heart Notes Heart NotesBlack orchid, Lotus wood, Floral notes, Fruity notes
Base Notes Base NotesBalsam, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Vetiver, Frankincense

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 18.10.2020.

Poison Ivy
I would like to introduce my femme fatale to you today. I must confess, love at first sight certainly wasn't this! A few times, before I smelled it for the first time, I had already heard of this seemingly very polarizing scent. One winter evening, while browsing for a fragrance for my girlfriend, I stumbled upon the rather meager Tom Ford department in a large perfumery chain. At that time I hadn't smelled any Tom Ford scent yet. TF - for me at that time an intangible topic, highly praised, glorified and far from any imagination how such a scent could smell. Then the first glance, the first interest in the shiny black bottle, the fine grooves running evenly from the lid along the entire bottle. The golden metal plaque, in which the promising letters "TOM FORD" are embedded, and the golden band under the bottle cap. A bottle design that has extraterrestrial features and is somewhat reminiscent of a vial from the alien universe. Timidly, but with burning desire, I took the bottle from the shelf, opened the cap and let the spray sink once, twice, three times onto the test strip. Even before I could get my nose close to the strip, a smell rose into my nose, which made me frown. "Please what" I thought. "Is this it?!". I now moved the test strip towards my nose and inhaled. To be honest, the first time I noticed the smell, it startled me. The first adjectives that came to my mind were repulsive, foul, heavy, morbid and disgusting. Qualities that you don't necessarily want to ascribe to a fragrance that you want to wear on a date or at a dinner party. Full of disappointment and disillusionment, I put the bottle back on the shelf and turned back to designer fragrances that were, in my opinion, more wearable.

It should now take quite a while until we meet again.

2 years later, high summer, 37 degrees Celsius in a gothic and brick paved small town in northern Germany. We just came from a wonderful holiday on the Danish coast and made a short stopover of a few days in the small town. After a relaxed breakfast, which was almost in the second half of the day, we strolled through the enchanting alleys and after a visit to the bookstore we went to the perfumery on the opposite side of the street. On a "I just want to test one or two fragrances" we went into the holy halls and after not too long it stood in front of me again, this bottle, which had stayed in my memory so much. What exactly was the impulse that made me reach for the bottle, I can't say anymore, but I was already about to grab a test strip and watch the spray mist sink onto the slightly rough paper surface. Again I led the test strip to my nose. But what follows now is absolutely inexplicable to me and in no way resembles what I smelled a good two years earlier. I closed my eyes and breathed in:

It started fresh, tangy bergamot and a few nuances of black sour berries. But the prelude only lasts a fraction of a second. Then something creeps up from underneath, from very far down. Opulent, heavy and dark. It doesn't want to reveal itself right away, but it makes it unmistakably clear that it is there, lurking among subtropical plants. But the black truffle is not the only thing that appears before you. On closer inspection, you now take in a whole bouquet of tropical, beautiful plants, of which it cannot be said beyond a doubt that their beauty and seductive smell do not want to conceal their toxic nature. And then it shows itself, the Poison Ivy in this beautiful, but also deadly greenhouse. The single black orchid, which claims the centre for itself with its presence. At her feet and somewhere in the dark, a heavy, sweet and balsamic breeze with a characteristic of incense makes itself felt, which unmistakably underlines the presence of the orchid and leaves no doubt about its sublimity. After some time, a slight hint of a soft, almost Bourbon-like vanilla can still be perceived, which must grow in the immediate vicinity.

I opened my eyes again, but by then it had already happened to me. Poison Ivy had managed to lure me into her garden and let me fall for her. Since then, Tom Ford's Black Orchid has been a very favourite part of my collection

Here in the following a short description without prose. ?

A very expressive floral fragrance, with a fresh, slightly citrusy and berry-sour start, which quickly expresses its heavy and floral opulence, through the black truffle and black orchid. As it progresses and dries, it becomes sweetish, balsamic with a hint of soft natural vanilla and a hint of incense. The shelf life is sensational and can be perceived on clothes well into the next day. The sillage is also very strong and you will definitely be noticed. The bottle is, in my opinion, a work of art that attracts all eyes without screaming "Here, here, look at me! Only the spray head could create a slightly larger spray mist. Like all TF scents, this one is unisex. However, I perceive this one more as a masculine scent with feminine characteristics than the other way around. However, I definitely recommend to test the scent before and maybe more than once. ?
That was my party scent in 2010
I've grown old. Meanwhile 30 years old, job, wife and child, this perfume will always remind me of my party time at around 20. Just awesome. Tight black shirt, a few splashes of black orchid and off to the taxi with my friends. The taxi driver would certainly have wished to wear a mask, as is customary today, just as we all got dieselled. Arrived at the club the perfume unfolds really nice. What at the beginning seems to be a little "scratchy and stinging" is now very well balanced and is really fun. So let's get on the dance floor and go until sometime. Monday uni can be saved anyway so you have enough time to sleep in.
I have never been asked so often about a fragrance - but I don't really care what others think about it. But that scent on a man really does radiate something.
How the Dift smells others can describe here surely better. I find it elegant, dark, not really flowery. Definitely something for the evening on special occasions. Everyone in the office would probably puke if I showed up in this.
Put on Your Black Dress
Maybe it would have made sense to wait until Halloween with this comment on Black Orchid instead of writing it in the middle of that bright, hot Saturday morning, and not only because I could go swimming at the same time. Or maybe that's exactly why it's appropriate now.
Because what comes next is, let's say, a little delicate. So maybe you'd better take the precaution of picking out the playlist of My Chemical Romance or The Cure, although they might be a little bit too life-affirming. Alternatively, you can also try Verdi's Requiem, as long as it's full of boom, because you need it now. Turn up the knob, be brave, because it has to be done, the scent requires it, let's talk about death today.
Not your favorite subject? You're not alone. We've managed to keep death out of our lives quite well, which is actually a bit short-sighted, because in the end (right there!) the topic does catch up with us. We have built up a lot of defensive spells against it, the factual sterility of our intensive care units for example, which misleadingly suggests to us that life is controllable, a matter of technology so to speak. Or also the cultivated boredom of German cemeteries with their uniform planting and twenty-year lease contracts for grave areas, everything has its order, even death, and as we all know, those who are bored are not scared.
But why are we so unfriendly about it? That there is another way is shown by a look at our European neighbours: Have you ever been to a cemetery in Sicily, say, in Palermo? You don't have to wait for All Saints' Day, a normal Sunday morning after Mass is enough.
Between marble statues of weeping angels and crypts, as big as family houses - but more imaginatively designed - there are camping chairs and tables, loosely arranged in groups, in the middle of a sea of flowers in different stages of decay. An unbelievable number of good-humoured people are floating around there, very lively. One makes an excursion to the cemetery, one uses it as a recreation area so to speak, a thing that is practical as one meets a lot of people at once. Nothing is wrong with cemetery peace. It's like, "Gianluca, you want another panino?" "Stop playing ball, Allessandrina, we're praying for grandpa." And for Zia Angelica and Don Corleone too, for safety. You never know who's listening. And above it all there is a fragrance, yes, it's a fragrance you never forget I think Tom Ford's, the rock stars of the perfume scene, must have made their company outing in a place like this. Maybe it's because as a rock star, you have a certain closeness to the other side of the line, for professional reasons, so to speak. In any case, David Apel must have stuck his little nose into the air of a Sicilian cemetery on Sunday morning and said: "Baby - what a great scent. I'll make a perfume out of it And there it is.
Forget about the black truffle. You don't get black truffles in cemeteries. The fragrance starts with a handful of refreshing moist earth, cool, tart and pleasantly musty. Heavy, very heavy blossoms blossom into this musty scent; whether these are black orchids I can't tell, because I've never smelled any, but I could definitely imagine it. They exude an intense, sweet, dark, almost narcotic scent, morbid like a Trakl poem, the pure joy of decay. In addition an indefinite note of old flower water, no, no, no fear of contact please, it smells quite fresh and pleasant, a little stale, but that's ok. There is a very subtle fruity note, not yet fermented, but not far away. In addition lotus, balm, like in an ancient Egyptian death ritual. Whoever has gotten into the fragrance up to this point has also surrendered to it, just as one surrenders almost lustfully to one's fate, and one waits for the inevitable patchouli, so to speak, as a logical consequence, as the final blow. But no! A little incense passes by, very delicately dosed. And finally, the dark undertow... The scent becomes soft, sweet, almost cheerful. A consoling vanilla tenderly lays its scent over us like a veil that softly draws everything. As a smiling promise of otherworldly pleasures, so to speak. And we remain a little speechless with amazement.
When do you wear such a fragrance?
Well, there are obvious possibilities, the gothic festival for example, the rendezvous with your loved one at midnight at the local cemetery (don't forget black lace gloves!).
Or else...
Why not just do it at the office? To open up break time conversations the other way: "How was your weekend?" "Where are you going on holiday?" "What are you gonna do after you cross over, you know, to the other side?" "
Maybe that's what the scent is trying to tell us: Maybe we just need to relax a little with the subject of death. It's part of life, after all. In this sense: Welcome to the black parade! And thanks for reading it.
Not of this world...!

Black Orchid by Tom Ford is simply an event, overwhelming! There's no perfume that has ever hit me as hard as this. I can neither put this fragrance into words nor break it down into its components as I usually like to do. That's why I don't even try it here. It's a prime example of what you can do with fragrance ingredients and how you can create a whole work of art from them. I put it on, I am speechless about this fullness of scent, which fascinates me in no time. This fragrance is so deep, so opulent, so sensual, yes, literally breathtaking
It lasts almost forever and its sillage is enormous. I can smell it for miles. And it's completely incomprehensible to me why here at Parfumo some of the more disdainful 08/15 fragrances easily take the 8 mark, but not this one. Probably it polarizes too much ...!?

There are perhaps one or two fragrances that, if I had to choose, I would rather choose when it comes to choosing the fragrance for the (rest of) my life, because they are more versatile and undogmatic, but there is only this one fragrance whose fragrance experience I will never forget and which I would take with me to my grave.
Song: The Mission - 'Love me to death (my flower)' [1986]
twisted
bin
in (d)a head note... slips!
lost, confused, puzzled

have
in (m)a heart note... lost!
fermented, spoiled, destructive

are
in (our) base... enchanted!
...is bequeathed to us... damn it!

different!
forget it!

Exclusively for winter nights
Black Orchid is simply powerful, like a witch's love potion. We are talking here
by the witches of Eastwick-level. Even Jeremy wouldn't use more than 2 sprays (or would he?)

It's thick, lush and Gothic. It's the kind of perfume the bosses of Dark Souls wear when they go to an awards ceremony. It automatically gives you an HP boost.

At the beginning of LOTR, when Sauron is about to fight the Last Alliance of Men, he probably wore this perfume.

Michael Jackson, Prince, Lenny Kravitz, Andre 3000, Dennis Rodman and Meta World Peace can rock the EdP version anywhere and anytime with consummate ease (the first two may not be anymore). Summer and winter. It doesn't matter.

Mortals will have to use this potent concoction with caution. For winter nights only.
Ixtlol Xochitl
It was so quiet you could have heard a pin drop. There it was in all its gloomy glory. My work. Would it stand up to him? Many men had died because of her, would I be next? Sweat ran down my face, shimmering green flies sat on my mouth, I had no strength to chase them away. The turquoise pond glowed ominously under the giant trees of the palace garden. Too often I had to watch how the water surface curled and turned blood red until the water spirits had finished their deadly work.

The ruler sat motionless and covered with jewels on his throne. His face resembled a mask. Ruler of life and death. With my watchful eyes I perceived the numbing scent of the black orchid. Its scent mingled with the scent of the luxuriant blossoms of the palace garden, the sweaty smell of the courtiers, the scent of chocolatl, which the emperor loved above all else, and the wisp of incense from the nearby temple pyramid, mixed with the sweet smell of decay. The cries of the martyred burned in my soul.

At last a smile spread over the face of the ruler. A sigh went through the crowd.

Ixtlol Xochitl, the black flower, was worth a kingdom.
A typical Tom Ford
Black Orchid is a typical Tom Ford fragrance. Either you hate it or you love it. This is also true for this one, because from all sides it will not rain compliments. But you can also be sure that there will be people who love this smell and you certainly won't smell like everybody else.
I discovered Black Orchid at the airport. Since I wanted to spray something new on the spot, I rummaged around for a long time. Many things smelled good, but nothing remained in my memory until I had Black Orchid in my nose. Wow, what a beast. Extremely strong and completely different from anything I've ever tested. Without knowing that it was apparently mainly a women's scent (meanwhile it is marketed as unisex) I sprayed myself once.
And what can I say?! Even late in the evening I still heard a strong smell and was somehow fascinated by the composition.

Flacon/Packaging:
Also here typically Tom Ford everything in best quality. Even if I personally like the flats of the Privative better, everything is very well thought out and makes a luxurious impression.

The smell:
Very dominant, heavy and flowery. As a man you need a strong self-confidence to wear it, because not everybody will like it and often it will be a nuisance. But with "Uniqueness", an extraordinary durability and a strong Sillage this creation scores extremely well with me.

Conclusion:
A fragrance that does justice to its price and high-quality ingredients, a long shelf life and an unusual fragrance composition.
Besides many compliments, you should be aware that this is a love/hate fragrance that can be very intrusive and not everyone will like it. I see Black Orchid more as a men's fragrance (I don't think it's really sexy for women), although it's more for men with a strong personality TF times to test I can recommend by the way only everyone who loves fragrances :)
A date with Morticia Adams
Wow, what a smell.
An artificial creation, since there are no black orchids. But if there were... they would smell exactly the same!
At first I had the usual difficulties to get past the lady in the shop, because the orchid was clearly on the shelf for women's fragrances - and we guys are not allowed there ;)

But since the male fan community on the Internet was so enthusiastic, I did not let myself be put off.
At the first pull of this wonderful plant, I was already addicted to it.

It begins with an incredible freshness - I'm guessing bergamot. But there is something heavy/morbid that resonates. Just a little Morticia :) Without being able to locate it exactly, I bet on the truffle as the culprit.

Be warned! Lower your headlines before you go out in public. I had two empty seats next to me in a waiting room in no time. The smell can be stomach aggravating. And despite the label "Frauenduft" the ladies seem to be rather split/susceptible to make their seats free :P

The heaviness then gradually subsides and I smell the orchid - fresh, pure, sensually beguiling. I could nibble my heartstrings... that smell... i'm standing in a gloomy flower shop waiting for the Venus trap to close
The heart notes are still fresh, but are losing intensity. The morbid/heavy background noise is also softer. Again and again the freshness of the ass idea pops up and my whole attention goes into this scent eruption. This is exactly what a perfume is supposed to do to you. Thanks!
The base notes still carry a good part of the orchid with them. Especially the freshness remains a companion. But increasingly the pleasant vanilla also comes to the fore. The patchouli mix partly reminds me of dark chocolate. But that is only an association of mine. There is nothing gourmanding in the florist's shop here!
Balsamic, yes... dark, masculine... still chewable. I find myself sniffing the crook of my arm again and again... i'm lying in Morticia's arms
And this durability... Even the next day, this pleasant balm smells on my skin. The clothes also have a good portion of scent to give off - and have even more of the freshness of the orchid than I do. The scent is high quality and you can smell it for 10+ hours
The silage is also very extensive. At the opening I would estimate that there are two arm lengths in it and you leave a trail behind. After about 30 - 45 min this will settle down a bit. The orchid is certainly not a silent treader, but it doesn't fill a concert hall either. The basic notes start to show Dominaz from 5-6h on. You can easily be there with 0,5 - 1 arm length and your shirt has been assimilated. Black tendrils everywhere...

The bottle is not quite my favourite design. But I can only give positive reports. The grooves give a nice tactile effect. The bottle can be lifted by the cap. The pestle is top. The scent comes out of the bottle in a fine and neat amount. The only silly thing is that it is difficult to measure the level thanks to the black tint. So I have to hold the vessel against the room lamp from time to time to see how much is left.

In principle, I can imagine wearing them all year round. Due to collateral damage, I would probably rule out summer, early morning commuting and work. The scent is very sensual to me. So wear it even if you can be yourself :)
SoAnna
When unexpected visitors are at the door
We spread a lot of cucumbers all over the parquet floor and rubbed them in, but suddenly the doorbell rings - no time to clean up! What do we do? We sprinkle old cocoa powder over it so that the guests don't notice it so much...
On the test strip nice and woody chocolaty. Unfortunately a very gurky smell developed on my skin.
I find him very unisex, if not more of a man's man. So I gave it to my husband

Redsn4pperRedsn4pper 165 days ago
Powerful, mysterious, sexy. People will notice when you wear this fragrance. It is THAT good and THAT powerful. Stays until the next morning
TaberneroTabernero 6 months ago
The name perfectly defines the aroma. long lasting and a more feminine than masculine scent
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 15 months ago
An unisex floral bomb with a creamy, dark and sweet touch of chocolate and black truffle over a Woody and vanilla background. Wonderful!
TruckladyTrucklady 17 months ago
BO, I tried, darling, I did. We just don't get along. You dislike me as much as I dislike you. Nothing personal. Truce?
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 2 years ago
Still one of the most opulent perfumes ever.
PioPio 2 years ago
Now, this is an intriguing fragrance. For both mature and self-assured women and men.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
This is a man's perfume or at most it is unisex.
It is too masculine to be considered a feminine scent only.
Its scent is just divine.
HajuvanaHajuvana 4 years ago
Wait... an aquatic floral gourmand? Congrats on the worst idea ever. The fragrance is great fun, though ...and approximating wearable.

by Smitty
by Smitty
by LadyLuxifer
by LadyLuxifer
by Dovlicaaa
by Dovlicaaa
Dunkle Blüten und tiefe Vanille - surrend anziehend und außergewöhnlich.
by Voula
by Bajro96
by Bajro96
by HsChen
by HsChen
Für Fresh21 ;)
by Entenradio
Ich hab Ihn reingelassen:-)
by Parfummaster
by JanaSieg
by JanaSieg
by OlenkaSnake
by OlenkaSnake
drowning in the sweet nectar from deep within your black orchid petals, I'm a drunk hummingbird high on your sexual cocaine, spin me up in a web of lies and deceit, I'm happy to be eaten up alive.
by Lidahriga
by Eloise
by Bosworth
by Bosworth

Popular Tom Ford

Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather 16 by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Lost Cherry by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Beau de Jour (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud Intense by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Vert d'Encens by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua by Tom Ford Amber Absolute by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford White Suede (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Minérale by Tom Ford