Champaca Absolute (2009)

Champaca Absolute by Tom Ford

Champaca Absolute is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for women and men and was released in 2009. The scent is floral-woody. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Cognac, Davana, Green notes, Tokaji wine
Heart Notes Heart NotesChampaca flower, Broom, Jasmine, Orchid, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Marron glacé, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 23.04.2020.

Betty0714
Wedding scent in an exotic place?
What do I write about this fragrance? The only thing I know is that I want to share my experience because it is already very special to me. What moves me to make a comment is the fact that after sniffing the scent for the first time I thought it was a joke, even a fake. Because you know what that smell was? Nothing. With a touch of soap. I could hardly believe my misfortune, I had spent about 15 Euro for 10 ml. I was so angry that I aggressively sprayed the cardboard packet with which the scent came to me and locked it in a drawer. I wanted to throw away this transparent liquid, it would have been too embarrassing to give it away.....
I've written to people who have this scent. I offered to send them my bottling so that they could confirm that it is really Champaca Absolute! Because this scent should be my summer scent...
The perfume member from whom I received this fragrance assured me of the authenticity of his merchandise and wrote " maybe the bottling is cold? - "Yeah, sure," I thought. You pay so much for Tom Ford, and then the cold is supposed to be to blame... No, I was certainly deceived! No doubt about it!
Then after a couple of days, when I opened the drawer with the sprayed cardboard packet I noticed more than a hint of 50 cent public toilet soap. It was already a stronger aroma and a little banana, just like the Youtuberin described this fragrance that she would wear at her wedding in an exotic, warm place hachhh... - ...and then I got curious.
Then the summer came to Germany with a sultriness that does not miss far travel destinations. Decorated with a large hair clip that optically swings between hibiscus blossom and orchid blossom, I take this scent that should have been thrown away and spray it to me as if from my subconscious and spray it on me and hit the mark! In this heat my skin emits this scent so beautifully that I want to kneel down: I smell clean, creamy, exotic, noble, dense and luxuriant and at the same time I walk through the day almost angelically floating and hypnotized by these exotic-looking flowers.
In the summer holidays in the burning hot Egypt the bottling was also allowed and was even my signature fragrance there, one could say. This noble blossom is such a diva. She adorns herself in cold weather, in tropical heat she draws attention to herself and wants to be worn. Or she's hibernating and wakes up in the heat of the moment.
All I can say is, I've never been so surprised by a fragrance. The absolute dream scent in unimaginable heat. Applied on clean skin after the bath day I feel like Cleopatra.
Clean- noble- unique-creamy resinous- woody.royal.

This fragrance only confirms my fascination with the world of fragrances once again. Yeah, she's full of secrets. You think you have understood and categorized a scent for all eternity and then you realize how the scent is what leads you behind the scenes... There are simply fragrances that are made to be worn on your skin from a certain temperature, season, and also occasion and factor xy. These sensations are of course again super-individual. You can't just spray a fragrance randomly anywhere and wait to be intoxicated with enthusiasm. Some aromas are demanding and maybe you are not yet mature enough for this next step or you were not ready for the complexity of the fragrance. Champaca Absolute taught me that. Be open and courageous and give several chances. The story of the first impression is not always true ! Thanks for this lesson Champaca Absolute.
Nothing everyday
I had sprayed on the scent for testing on a normal working day. Just a small amount to test. But the scent reminded me of something much more festive. Very room-filling, very flowery and somehow festive. I'd like to wear him to a ball or a theater or opera. That seems kind of fitting
Profuma
Chewbacca?! Or not from this world...
Somehow this name inevitably came to my mind in comparison with Champaca and I had to smile. Because as shrill as the voice of the Wookiee from Star Wars this TF does not come along, also it has no hair on the teeth. At best, he could take it with his strength. Champaca Absolute has a lot of power and you are willing to go down on your knees after the first spray. Not that a amok-running bergamot or stinking blossoms will push your legs through, no, it's the Tokaj and the cognac note that I feel. So to a certain extent I have only exceeded my very personal blood alcohol limit by inhaling. For a moment the fragrance remains in its powerful brandy banner in the air and on the skin, but then it undergoes a very beautiful but also idiosyncratic change. Well, the prelude in itself is self-willed enough. But here some of the fragrances are unpacked and put in such a way that you hardly get behind with discovering. A floral, ethereal and greenish note blends into the wines and the fragrance becomes more pungent, intense and slightly acidic. Here, too, a moment passes and the journey through further aromas finally continues. Jasmine and broom finally push the acidity quite away and a dense and floral syrupy liquid remains with a still well perceptible alcohol note. Anyone who knows the Burberry Body knows what I mean here. There the Absinthe note is also perceptible throughout the course. After a good quarter of an hour of this scent register drawing, CA reaches a stage in which it encapsulates itself from the previous story and individually gets involved with the skin of the wearer. CA is quite unisex and due to the portable notes for both, it will develop differently on every skin. Does each smell anyway, you might think, but if one makes such a fool of fish and birds, then in any case something else will come out for everyone who wears it. With my own rather sweet skin scent, CA becomes more flowery and even sweeter. It's like snowing over the wines and flowers with icing sugar. Everything is still a bit strenuous and you should take it slowly with the dosage. The Ford's are known for their powerful performances, so it never hurts to cut every drop in half. In addition, as mentioned above, there is the aspect of different skin chemistry, which will also contribute to the development of fragrance. I'd rather wait and see what happens. So with me it gets sweeter, richer and from the base note I can sniff out the chestnut with a little imagination, but the rest is already mixed in. Here an incredibly sensual and engaging warmth rises from my scented skin and CA increasingly becomes a really beautiful and high-quality arranged fragrance. Even if you have the feeling at the beginning, they simply put everything into it that was in the lab or that they were "using leftovers", because some notes sound almost contradictory. But finally, I have to say that each of these ingredients, once opened, works with the others towards exactly one goal. They should delight all the senses and create an unparalleled fragrance experience. And here we are again at Chewbacca. Because just as this hairy figure is from another star, so the Champaca Absolute by Tom Ford also seems to me as not from this world...

umami
Opens with a moist white floral note that suggests humid doldrums. The volume hints that the perfume will be a big, mixed white floral, and it is. It's just not the expectable jasmine, orange blossom, tuberose trip. It's not 'dirty' in the sense of sweat and body odor that the above flowers tend to have, but does have an umami quality that keeps it from reading as too spic and span. This savory tone serves the same purpose as BO in tuberose and the others. It’s a basic compositional strategy in both the kitchen and the perfume lab. Use the contrasting note that highlights the sultriness of the floral, the lemon juice that brings out the sweetness of melon, the MSG that brightens your processed foods.

Champaca flower has a creamy sweetness that’s cut with a whiff of tea. In shape, it reminds me of camellia. Champaca Absolute underlines the creamy floral with ambery lushness and gives it the feel of party-girl floriental. There's a big push-pull to the top notes, as the floral tone is very expansive, but the creaminess pulls it back a bit.

The top notes are actually fairly simple, but they transition into a more complex set of heart notes that add a spiciness and give dimension to the flower. It feels a little more woody than oriental at this point. It moves from an apparent simplicity to a more nuanced complexity and is very satisfying to wear. The heart notes are fairly long-lasting, and gorgeous. Floral, spicy, woody, creamy. Very luxurious overall.

The basenotes take a bit of a turn and spiced creaminess grows more vanillic, making me think there was an attempt to end on a sandalwood note. Unfortunately earthiness and the milkiness don't mix well and the ending, for all the world, smells to me like cupcakes made with a mushroom butter cream icing. The slow transition is off-putting, giving me the feeling of smelling milk curdle.

Interesting ride, but not the ending I'd hoped for.

(A thought. There is a similarity in Champaca Absolute’s amber/magnolia accord to Givenchy’s Insense. These two perfumes have little in common otherwise. Perhaps this amber/champaca pairing could lead to other interesting perfumes.)

from scent hurdle.com

Undescribable
I find this one very, very hard to describe because the notes are so seamlessly blended together! It's not sweet. It's very soft, deep and musky, with barely a touch of saltiness around the edges. Undeniably floral, but a perfect choice for those who DON'T like florals, actually. This frag is all about texture, it's a liquid velours running through my fingers, caressing my hands.
Breathtakingly beautiful, lasts forever.

Discussions about Champaca Absolute

Flavorite in Perfumes & Brands

by Shivsri13
by Shivsri13
by Lexa
by Lexa

Popular Tom Ford

Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather 16 by Tom Ford Noir Extreme (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Beau de Jour (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Lost Cherry by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Vert d'Encens by Tom Ford Oud Wood (Body Spray) by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud Intense by Tom Ford Amber Absolute by Tom Ford White Suede by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford