Café Rose 2012

Café Rose by Tom Ford
Café Rose is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is floral-woody. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum)

Antoine Lie

Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber
PatchouliPatchouli
SandalwoodSandalwood
FrankincenseFrankincense

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 30.08.2021.

A dream
Me and Cafe Rose...we have a special relationship...This scent makes me dream.
And what exactly?
It takes me back to 100 years ago. The most beautiful woman in the world,dressed in an oversized dress with long gloves up to her elbow. She gets out of the carriage and is greeted by the count. She is a queen of style, she rules the men's world, she loves luxury and knows how she should be treated. Short and sweet,the most beautiful fairy tale.
Kurh to the fragrance:Cafe and rose one smells clearly...something chocolaty in the background.Very Special and elegant. H+S is super. If you get the lead role as Siss the Empress, you have to wear this fragrance?
The Masculine Rose
I entered a shop that was unknown to me in my favourite city until then. First a small anteroom with beauty articles and stuff like that. I was received directly and told the salesman I was looking for TF fragrances, as I was actually looking for Oud Minérale to buy it. But I saw such a wide range of choice there...as I had never seen before. Amouage, Creed, Frederice Malle,.... so the salesman said he would not show me Oud Wood, Tobacco Vanilla, Fucking Faboulus, Soleil Blanc,...
So he showed me the somewhat unknown scents . Starting with White Suede and Bitter Peach. Next he sprayed me Café Rose on the left and Portrait of a Lady on the right
At the beginning I liked PoaL better but the tide should turn.

About the fragrance: the rose is very present at first and appears somewhat feminine. It disappears with time, but is perfectly rounded off with amber and woods. For me the most masculine way to wear a rose. I imagine a man in a black tuxedo with a spades collar, a bow tie and a cummerbund, who brings his loved ones a bouquet of roses, but still keeps his masculine vein without looking too guileless. The fragrance polarizes and is certainly not for everyone. It is surrounded by a mysterious aura. As it is with TF. I think I smell oud in the finish. Because Tom Ford never gives away every ingredient, but always wants every fragrance to have a mysterious aura
Conclusion: In the first 1-2 hours very present, afterwards unfortunately a little weak, for such a strong and heavy scent. The fragrance is not for everyone but polarizes when worn by men

Montexx
Thake this if you like rose.
Really love this one from the first time i got it in my hands. This is like a very mysterious dark night scent, like if you are going out to a party where there are only flashlight. ofcours my opinion. With great rose and coffee and some patchouli olso very masculine rose, i could say. I think i can compare this one with amouage lyric, olso a masterpiece. Longevity is perfect and silage is average, so i would say take this one.

Wow, This impressed me
I remember when I first started the fragrance journey, I hated tobacco vanille, and hated café rose ( and many others ..) I happened to smell this fragrance again 2 years later in a period where I am searching for good roses, good oud smells and still finding nothing that blows me away.

So this did, what a class, romantic, elegant, for a night out, a date but also suit and tie because it has saffron and spicy elements in it. I love this sooo much wow and perfectly unisex, works better if you have blue eyes , blond hair and white skin thou
Longevity above avarage very very good !

Briarthorn
It starts magically and then goes "eh"
This opens with the loveliest Taif Rose. It's freshly opened and still covered in dew. There's no powder or cream to this rose. There is a beautiful base of Incense and sandalwood with just a touch of saffron playing in the background. The rose is the main event here. After about 30 min. I get more of the saffron, and it's amazing.

A couple of hours in the heart is in full swing. The composition is much softer now, laying closer to the skin. It's not a skin scent but it's definitely personal, perfect in my opinion. The rose is still front and center and still completely lovely. I haven't found any coffee. Not a hint, which is a bummer because I love how coffee plays in a scent. The saffron however, is gorgeous and exciting. The incense is soft and in the background. This is a really beautiful incense. To my nose it's not frankincense or myrrh, but an exotic and less sharp or biting note. It's soft and smoky.

I didn't really notice any big difference between the heart and the dry down, except that the dry down was a very quiet skin scent with really just a faint rose being detectable. Basically, the scent became linear after the opening ran it's course. My enthusiasm for this scent waned after about 3 hours. It just started to feel a bit "eh, taif rose and incense". It's a shame because it opened so magically.

delta dawn
This is the Rose of the twisted Garden? Antoine Lie, l’enfant terrible, was the perfumer? Maybe I’ve gotten high on the fumes the smoldering rose chypres of the 70s-80s, but twisted or noir this ain’t.

Woody roses are easy in concept. There is a logical fit and a mutual enhancement. Because rose provides its own top, middle and base, the pairing with woods is logical. Patchouli, incense, sandlewood: Cafe Rose has them all. Amber, another expected match with rose, rounds out the mix.

Antoine Lie has visited this idea with colleague Antoine Maisondieu in Rossy de Palma Eau de Protection for Etat Libre d’Orange. Rossy plays with a dark rose and woods, also, but uses spice and chocolate as well as tones of metal, dust and blood. Unfortunately, Cafe Rose is best captured in what it is not. Not outstanding, not inspiring, not polarizing (not a good sign) and to my mind, given the competition in the niche market, not worth the price.

Cafe Rose isn’t a particularly ambitious perfume. The only sense of noir it conveys is, ‘Hey. It’s dark in here. Where’s the light switch?’ The concept isn’t new and the execution is uneventful. It conveys a feeling of the satisfaction of connecting the dots. The components are in place, the bits all connect; therefore the perfume is good. To its credit, the perfume doesn’t fall apart or become unbalanced. If you like the opening, you’ll likely enjoy the rest of the perfume. But the bar just seems to be set low, and the risk-averse Cafe Rose favors balance over richness, competence over inspiration.

from scent hurdle.com

A Split-Personality? Not such a bad thing, in this case...
Tom Ford CAFE ROSE opens as a rather peppery rose, reminding me quite a bit of Etat Libre d'Orange ROSSY DE PALMA. The rose is palpably red, and the pepper accentuates its redness. Shortly thereafter, a patchouli complex vaguely reminiscent of BLACK ORCHID arrives on the scene. It's somewhat chewy and sweet, but not overly so, and I cannot help thinking that this creation was crafted specifically with Tom Ford fragrance devotees in mind. I should say, however, that the coffee does mingle with the other notes in a most enticing way, giving this particular presentation of patchouli its own distinct personality, despite its overlap with BLACK ORCHID (and perhaps WHITE PATCHOULI as well...).

By the drydown, CAFE ROSE seems much closer to BLACK ORCHID than to ROSSY DE PALMA--or any other spicy rose--so I'd say that what we have here are really two completely distinct fragrances: first there's rose, and then there's the cafe. I imagine that the opening burst of rose is going to make a lot of sales at the counter: it's vibrant and enticing and beautiful. But the BLACK ORCHID lovers will be pleased, too, if they have the patience to wait for the drydown of this perfume.

Is this a coherent two-stage creation? To me, it seems like a split personality. I do not think that they are completely incompatible, but the two stages really are very different from one another. Still, since I like both stages, I cannot dislike their conjunction!

CAFÉ ROSE by Tom Ford
Café Rose is one of four new introductions for Fall 2012 from Tom Ford's Private Blend Collection. The film noir inspired name itself suggests that this fragrance has a dark and disturbing past, but Café Rose is as familiar and comfortable as a warm fur coat. When I first saw the name, I couldn't help but think of some of my other all time favorites from Tom Ford Private Blend, issues like Tobacco Vanille and Amber Absolute. I was hoping that Café Rose would be as interesting and memorable. While Café Rose is interesting, it is by no means memorable.

Café Rose opens with sweet rose, then sharp and spicy black pepper. The top notes contain a sheer, cozy saffron that further intrigues you by coupling with a dark, semisweet chocolate, drizzled with a luscious bit of rich coffee. This combination is quite alluring but very short-lived. There is no lack of rose in Café Rose with May, Bulgarian and Turkish varieties being the primary scent of top and heart notes. The base of Café Rose is an old fashioned combination of patchouli and sandalwood, with a slap of amber for good measure. It also has a puff of frankincense to make it mysterious. There are no big surprises here from Tom Ford. Café Rose alludes to a gourmand fragrance but this fragrance ultimately boils down to a sweet innocent garden rose enjoying a morning coffee.

I must admit that I was mildly impressed with Café Rose upon first sniff. All the allure of coffee and chocolate disappeared very quickly making the fragrance extremely one note. I feel that Café Rose is one of the most interesting of the four new introductions by Tom Ford. The primary issue with Café Rose is the lack of complexity in the fragrance in the dry-down stage. I find Café Rose to be a little bland and uninteresting, and quickly turns into a subtle and lovely rose skin scent, but not much more. The gourmand coffee and chocolate notes made this fragrance intriguing. Unfortunately, those elements just evaporate leaving your skin smelling of a lovely rose garden.

KatherineKatherine 4 years ago
This is also a good fragrance from the house of Tom Ford. Its fragrance is very nice, pleasing & comfortable to wear.

by Betsi94
by Betsi94
by Montexx
by Montexx

Popular Tom Ford

Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Lost Cherry (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Beau de Jour (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Amber Absolute by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather 16 by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua by Tom Ford Eau de Soleil Blanc by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Minérale by Tom Ford Lavender Extrême by Tom Ford Vert d'Encens by Tom Ford