Grey Vetiver 2009Eau de Parfum

Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford
Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for men and was released in 2009. The scent is fresh-green. It is still in production.
Scent goes well with Molecule 01

Harry Frémont

Top Notes Top NotesOrange blossom, Grapefruit, Sage, Woods
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Nutmeg, Pimento
Base Notes Base NotesAmberwood, Oakmoss, Vetiver

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 21.11.2020.

Understatement for spraying Pt. II
And of the state-ment [that]
- [Conscious] understatement
- [false] modesty
- undervaluation

- is how Oxford Languages defines the term described above.

In the olfactory context, Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver is also such an understatement, as one hears, sees or reads little or nothing of this fragrance.

And yet this particular fragrance should be pushed and hyped much, much more, especially in view of the fact that clean office fragrances are very much in vogue again.
Because that's what it is, the Grey Vetiver: a beautiful, clean and yet striking office fragrance, which I now see as much more than that. Whether for a job interview, team meeting, business meeting or on a business trip - it could be used anywhere.

And now I lean out the window and say: Yes, right. But...

Because: In my eyes this fascinating fragrance fits not only into the business world but also into the leisure world. On a date, in the gym, in the evening in the cosy bar or in a café around the corner. The fragrance doesn't rub off anywhere - and yet it makes a statement.

Grey vetiver is initially very citrusy and reminiscent of any "light", "sport" or "leisure" version of any designer fragrance, whose original is actually heavy and dark.
But this prelude deceives his counterpart enormously... After only a few moments, noble, sublime woods show themselves and give the citrus notes a certain sovereignty and elegance, which I have never been able to smell in such a beautiful way with any other fragrance.
In addition, the sage plays a gentle melody in the background, which you can perceive and perceive as beautiful, but is by no means disturbing or intrusive.

In the further course of time, after about 30 minutes, the citric components of the fragrance withdraw noticeably, but still play a slightly playful role in the background and contribute to the lightness of the fragrance. Nutmeg and allspice begin to carry the woods and give the fragrance even more sublimity and sovereignty. Perhaps, quite possibly a certain amount of arrogance and presumptuousness, which can't hurt in the business world either.
Iris joins in and quickly brings the arrogance back down to earth with her purity and cleanliness and gives the Grey Vetiver its down-to-earthness in the heart note. At this point I hear slightly soapy notes, but they are by no means cheap or obtrusive, but remind me of expensive luxury soap.

According to the fragrance pyramid, the actual eponym of the fragrance, vetiver, only plays its ace in the drydown, although I doubt it.
In my case, the vetiver comes to the fore relatively quickly and remains in the foreground in a nice, linear way throughout the entire fragrance, which gives the eau de parfum class and elegance in a wonderfully simple way.

In the drydown, other woods are added to give the fragrance a good portion of long-lasting masculinity and round it off in a wonderful way.

For me the fragrance has become a clear favourite in my collection and definitely belongs in the top 10, if not the top 5 of my absolute favourite fragrances.

In my eyes... No... In my nose the Grey Vetiver EDP is a timeless classic, combining the simplicity of being with a beautiful elegance. And yet it is so versatile and does not rub off anywhere.

And although the fragrance is not off-putting anywhere and is very, very pleasing, it makes a very, very clear statement.

No understatement. No.
A STATEMENT.
Again...
...once strolled through a perfumery with lots of Tom Ford scents.
I tried two.
To this one you can clearly say that it has its own smell, far away from the mainstream.
Fresh and a little bit tart, quite high recognition value.
After 2 fat sprays on the forearm:
2 hours later, the scent is very linear, with a good shelf life but medium silage.
From about 30 cm you can still smell it, for me unfortunately KO criterion
Directed clearly towards ü35.
Monotonous...
....the V8 hummed his song against the cool breeze that half-heartedly threw itself at him on the track loosely lined with bushes and flowers. For hours the two of us had been meandering along the narrow country road at the end of the world and slowly I didn't care how it might have come about in 1972 to name this leatherette-covered steel box after an African antelope. For some time now the air conditioner only sucked in the smell of hot oil, which I tried to get rid of through the half-opened side window. I had just given up the idea when suddenly a washed-out sign rushed by the side of the road, which promised a break at the high horizon.

Half an hour later I turned into the entrance of an old gas station on the remote pass. It seemed to have had its best times behind it for quite a while. A station in diner-style, as they had been built in the 40s, 50s on almost every highway. Apart from an unshaven cowboy who probably belonged to the inventory for umpteen years, not a soul was to be seen. The cowboy was sitting in an office glazed to the street. He had made himself comfortable in an old armchair and seemed to think about whether it was worthwhile to take a sip of the long cold coffee or to light a new cigarette. When I nodded my head, he came out of his shed with a questioning look at the petrol pump and, shortly after my second nod, started to use it to refuel the car. While the pump started buzzing nervously and the scent of the surrounding orange trees mixed with the gasoline mist from the old pump nozzle, I stared thoughtfully into the warm sunset and enjoyed the view of the landscape flooded with copper light under the evening colored sky.

The cowboy still wiped the insects off the windshield of the car. He reminded me that the engine was lacking some oil and that the filter of the air conditioning system had probably broken at some point. The idea seemed familiar somehow. Asked if there was anything he could do about it, he waved me with a casual hand movement towards his workshop and went ahead while I started the car to follow him. The workshop had to be as old and original as everything here. Nevertheless it seemed to be tidy and halfway clean. When I opened the door, I was greeted by the usual evaporation of rubber and drying waste oil, which testified to the many years of screwing, painting, scrapping and repairing here. I looked around while the cowboy half disappeared in the engine compartment of the Chevy. Apparently he knew his way around, and there had been who knows how many cars gutted here. They had stood around abandoned, waiting for their fate, a repair or a new buyer. Old companion(s), with dry batteries and the not-burnt hope in their metallic hearts that the cowboy would give them one last chance. The chance to compete again with the fresh breeze of spring, the warm wind of summer, the autumn storms with their rains or the winter snowdrift. This was probably what the three large-volume sedans were hoping for, their roundish, bulky shapes half covered by tarpaulins. With flat tires, they dreamt of old times and endless highways in the back of the workshop.

But only one of us got back there today. At some point, in the middle of all that thinking, my car was ready again. I followed the cowboy into his office, which looked much bigger on the inside than I had estimated on the outside. The walls, painted white for the last time a long time ago, and the seating furniture with the fragile imitation leather upholstery, still exhaled this aura, somewhere between quietly evaporating solvent and old cotton fabric. The heavy wooden cupboards seemed to be filled to bursting with files full of invoices, delivery notes and receipts, which had probably been put in battle order long ago to account to some accountants. Today, they seemed to be of no more importance than capturing the age of this office with the smell of dusty, printed paper, as if in a photograph.

Through the window, the sunlight in the room with the dust fibres of the air danced on the once oiled wooden floorboards and I watched it until the clanging crash of the old, mechanical cash register took me out of my daydream. Friendly the cowboy held out his hand and took his money. I paid and thanked him. Then I said goodbye and went to my car. I had just left the garage when the cowboy appeared in front of my radiator. Smiling, he came to my window, handed me some kind of business card and tapped his Stetson with the index and middle finger of his right hand. Half a minute later the silhouette of my car, dull rumbling, plunged into the low sun on the highway to the next valley, while I lost sight of the gas station in the rear-view mirror.

When I woke up it was bright morning and the sun had set out on its way to its highest point in the steel blue sky. I could hear the noise of the city and was just about to get up when my gaze fell on a business card eaten by the sunlight, which I held in my hand. Still half asleep, smoothing out the slightly crumpled card close to my eyes, I deciphered with difficulty: ...inspired by Tom Ford, Grey Vetiver, EdP.
I already have it
The fragrance has been a very familiar one to me and so I searched my collection a little bit to find the scent it reminds me a little bit of
It didn't take long and I found what I was looking for I have the Oasis Verte from Rituals and it should smell the same as the Terre D'Hermes and it is also very famous for vetiver
I think I discovered vetiver for myself Because it smells fresh but not what is often found in the mainstream a la Sauvage.
It also has a slightly "dirty" side which gives the fragrance something sexy For durability I can say that it is solid but not a perfomence beast.
6 hours should already be in it but then it becomes softer and softer and is then only very close to the skin.

I can certainly understand why people say that they either love or hate vetiver and there is nothing in between
Sillage is good, because it goes up my nose again and again, but not continuously and therefore it doesn't seem obtrusive.

I can't say anything about the bottle, because I will use the bottling first, but afterwards I will order the perfume immediately.
But on the basis of the pictures it seems to be processed very high-quality which I would not imagine differently with a Tom Ford fragrance.

All in all, the scent is definitely worth buying and I think it is always a feast for the eyes when you find a Tom Ford scent in your collection.
DerRobinHalt
Inappropriate name, but great scent with similarity to a Roja
First of all, this is my first comment and I'm not yet that well versed in fragrances and how to smell the individual scents, but I'll do my best! ????

Quite contrary to the name "Grey Vetiver", this citric fragrance in the top note reminds me of summer, beach and sea. Just like a sea breeze, fresh and pure In the base note, I even recognize certain similarities to the Roja Elysium, with the, in my eyes, very flowery finish. I currently have a sample of the Roja at hand and can therefore compare the two fragrances directly. The Tom Ford smells less complex compared to the Roja, but for the price difference between the two, hats off!
All in all, the Tom Ford is a great scent that I like to wear in summer, especially when I long for holidays and the sea ;-)
Metallic elegant understatement type
Why I was able to keep this Tom Ford in the background for so long is not clear to me until the first test of this scent. Maybe I did not expect much and focused too much on the Private Blend Collection. In any case, it hit me suddenly when the first spray touched my skin.
After many Tom Ford fragrances, I would have truly never expected this kind of fragrance composition. Maybe it was a little bit wistfulness to discover nothing else in the collection, although the variants could not be more different.

But now I have just been convinced by another fragrance that does not belong to the high-price segment of the line. Grey vetiver is the epitome of understatement, elegance and possible office fragrance. I think of wafts of mist which slowly spread over the whole body. These bring a metallic clarity and elegance at the same time that you get goose bumps. You can hear light wood, some delicate freshness due to certain citrus notes and some delicate spice. The spice comes across to me like juniper berries and piement.
Something grey, misty and metallic remains permanently on the skin. Perhaps it is the vetiver and moss. It is not for me to filter out exactly.

Grey Vetiver is simply wonderful, refreshing for me in the Tom Ford Collection and convincingly unobtrusive.
Biker
One should not try to love this perfume...
...because either you come together and know very quickly that it is just the right scent for yourself or not.
If you prefer a certain style of clothing, it is because it suits you particularly well or because you feel good with it. This could also be transferred to clothing colours.
The situation is similar with fragrances. Of course you must like the fragrance, but it should also suit your personality and support your charisma. Grey Vetiver can do this extraordinarily well. But it doesn't fit everyone. You can struggle as hard as that; if it doesn't fit, you should leave it there. Perhaps also out of disappointment, this perfume is given certain attributes, such as herbaceous, one-dimensional, pungent, suitable for office use. You can certainly feel it that way. If you read it, you don't even think about testing that perfume.

I like to compare a fragrance with a pictorial idea from nature.
With this perfume I see an alluvial landscape, and for my sake with water. It is early in the morning shortly after sunrise, still it is cool and from the fog that lies over the meadows and trees the first rays of the sun emerge The fragrance opens up wonderfully fresh and vetiver also comes out of the background. It darkens a bit and adds a little smokiness. No trace of dull herbaceousness or creakiness.
Fitting would be elegant, manly, understatement. Of course this also fits for the office, but also beyond that.
His radiation is excellent and for me one spray is enough. Too much can burden you as a fragrance carrier, as well as others. I don't wear such a strong scent every day either. I don't want him getting tired of me. In this way the joy of it is preserved.

I also have the impression that Tom Ford didn't come up with a suitable name with the name "Grey Vetiver". I associate grey with such boring things as november grey, grey socks, grey (metallic) coloured cars. Somehow boring and this does not do justice to the perfume at all.
KnowThis30
When a fragrance of time gives emotions...
...then it must be one with whom one connects something in one way or another, preferably of course something positive through and through. But perhaps just a feeling, a memory, a weak shadow on the structure of one's own thoughts - far away in the background and beyond the tangible, but always close enough at the right time to point the finger at it to be able to name it. In this or a similar way I would describe Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver (EDP), someone would ask me to equate this fragrance with a feeling.

"Clean, somehow clean and clean."
Probably these would be the words of a tester who would have been offered a scent like Vetiver by Guerlain (but also from 1959 and thus exactly 50 years older than the scent described here) for comparison before or perhaps at the same time. Unlike most (mostly or mainly) vetiver-based fragrances, the perfumer Harry Frémont has used grapefruit and iris to create the famous trick of removing the "hardness", the "scratchiness" or, as many would say, the "mouffliness" from the sweet grass that originated in Asia Not that a classic like Guerlain's can be described as "musty", but in a time of synthetic and sweet scents, it is often precisely this characteristic that brands the scents as "old-school" or - and this is the real outrage - "old-man's scent" with too much vetiver. Harry Frémont, on the other hand, manages to bind the - yes, probably the tester is not wrong at all - cleanest variant of vetiver in this fragrance.
Seemingly teasing, the early morning walk through a path covered in fog away from the asphalted roads seems to be a teasing experience. The air seems to stand still and yet to have preserved the fine smell of the surrounding meadows and grasses in the tiny water droplets of the fog.

"Well, I can imagine him for the job! But otherwise...well..."
In fact and not without reason Grey Vetiver is advertised in the forums as well as in the corresponding videos on YouTube as a "clean man" and as an "office" scent and thus indirectly tries to bring to the man.
Just because all (or at least almost all) protruding splinters and edges have been taken from the leading vetiver, it doesn't seem to get to anyone. Nothing gets caught, nowhere seems a nose to be turned up or even a disparaging comment to be made. Vetiver scents on your own skin seem to be either loved or hated - in the air or on others, on the other hand, everyone seems to be able to at least come to terms with them.
But what about the orange blossom and the grapefruit? Nothing!, here should be the honest answer.
Although they are immediately and wonderfully harmoniously embedded in the fragrance every time they are sprayed again, their actual presence is only of very short duration. Already after a few minutes up to a quarter of an hour they clear the way for the herbs, the woods and the clarifying iris in combination with the nutmeg, which in turn seem to be only the trailblazers for the grass giving the name. Few commutes to and from work should be short enough (no post-spraying during the working day taken into account) to reduce the
To present the so wonderfully introductory fragrances to colleagues. Nevertheless, they should not be missing in any case, let alone ignored in the description of the fragrance. Only in common harmony with the vetiver do they leave this fragrance a story, a start and an end - no disdainful being. Those who experience the heart and top notes enjoy them, whereas the base notes at least give a hint of the past.

"Pretty unemotional and cool."
True. Grey Vetiver is definitely not a fragrance for the club, disco or similar venues! Not because he seems to lack the necessary strength and endurance for such races, no, but because he doesn't want to shine with his presence in such places anyway or show any other presence. Straight-lined and quite a bit undercooled, it does not seem to originate from this time on many days. A naive observer would probably not guess the right year - oh iwo, probably not even the right decade - if he had to fix this scent on a timeline without any other indication.
A fragrance that seems to originate from an era in which the suit, the Oxfords, Budapest and tie in the
most professions were not only good tone, but fixed guidelines, yes, clear instructions. A time in which an opinion was not immediately commented, tweeted or hashed - and not only because the
were not yet available according to technical possibilities. Grey Vetiver seems to come almost entirely from a quieter time, in which restraint, reserve and thoughtfulness were preferred to indignation, outcry and branding. An epoch with as many - albeit sometimes completely different - injustices and mistakes as today, but also with as many qualities that seem to fall victim to the ravages of time unnecessarily.

"Somehow I only smell it so briefly."
Either way, a tester could describe the fragrance because of its shelf life. And in no way would the tester be wrong. Grey Vetiver is one of those fragrances that doesn't seem to care much about impressing a large environment with its Sillage. Relatively quickly at arm's length, the fragrance nevertheless knows how to hold its own and can rightly continue to bear the name "Eau de Parfum". Even if your own nose doesn't seem to perceive him anymore because of the environment or oversaturation, he still sticks, knows how to please and gets a rare compliment even when you think you've already flown away the scent.

"But I think the bottle's pretty!"
Of course. The art deco style reduced to the absolute minimum, the milky glass with its grooved surface, the cool metal plate on the front and the almost lonely silver ring on the neck of the bottle - they all radiate with bravura what Grey Vetiver tries to be: an unagitated, reserved but by no means reserved scent that seems to have almost fallen out of time In a time in which the loud, the colourful, the excited and polarising seems to set the direction and we will miss some - only almost - past virtues, it should be completely lost to us.
Grey vetiver in a black-and-white movie called La Dolce Vita
Hello esteemed perfume community,

first an important info: This will be my first comment here on the portal, so I lose my virginity... once again.
This perfume has a special significance for me, because it has enchanted my sense of smell in a new way, just like Anita Ekberg once enchanted the whole film world with the well-known scene in the Trevi Fountain.
Actually, the fragrance should be called White Vetiver, because it directly gives the impression of having a white vest, of giving a clear impression, of being direct and steadfast.
In the top note the grapefruit stands out, in the heart note iris and in the base vetiver. Yes, Vetiver. Vetiver here and there, Vetiver clearly dominates. No trace of synthetic perceptible.
The Eau de Parfum smells fresh and this noble freshness smell shimmers again and again in the everyday life, over many hours. You quickly have to get used to phrases like "you smell good but" or "what kind of perfume is this". I grin every time anew and am happy that the scent secret still works here (I mean that not everyone is familiar with this scent - which I very much welcome!).
But why Grey and not White?
If you apply it more often, you will notice that this fragrance is not only clean, but also dirty, but in a subtle way. A bit like seeing something shimmering on a shiny surface that you don't recognize at first glance. It also triggers desire, it attracts the opposite sex, but it's not wicked or really "dirrrrty," but rather in the direction of 50 Shades of Gr*y -hmm... different spelling, you know ;-)
So it's an elegant, reserved, dirty way, one that doesn't want to attract attention. Like a black tux, worn by the current James Bond Daniel Craig. Black so.
And if you mix black and white, then you'll always have grey, for better or for worse. Now I get it, Tom Ford.
Well done - thanks :)

Pollita
Perfect fragrance for the office
I know now that I'm definitely a vetiver fan. After all, I have known and loved Armani Privé's Vétiver d'Hivèr, owned by my better half, for several years. Apart from this, I did not consciously deal with vetiver scents. Until this sample lands in a swap package. And finally the Tom Fords all have to be tested. I sprayed it on without great expectations and was more than positively surprised. It is delicate, unobtrusive, pleasing but nevertheless striking and somewhat scratchy. It speaks to me immensely. The same was true of Mr Pollito, who, by the way, looks very good on him. I wouldn't want to wear Grey Vetiver myself right now. He'd be too creaky green for that. But: Grey Vetiver is for my taste a perfect office fragrance for the gentleman. It has depth and recognition value, smells super pleasant and at the same time not obtrusive and completely without nerve factor. Grey Vetiver is for me the perfect Office for Men, if you will. This fragrance is also sophisticated. It doesn't suit every proll and that's what makes it interesting for me. What Sauvage is to the standard sales representative, Grey Vetiver is to the stylish leader.

Just like Amouage's Reflection, this one is one that smells pleasantly clean, giving the wearer sympathy points. But he also has corners and edges. Before Grey Vetiver I couldn't have imagined that a fragrance with orange blossoms could smell really masculine, but this one has the knack. The iris gives the rather green-herbal scent a delicate touch.

Beautiful composition by Tom. And now we have the new fragrance from Mr. Pollito :)

Thanks to DerDefcon for rehearsing

BielwenassBielwenass 2 months ago
Vetiver + citrus. Light, clean and safe. Vetiver here is close to Guerlain's, though less medicinal and unpleasant.
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 5 months ago
A rather spicy-green Spring fragrance with fresh-citric nuances, balanced by a gentle earthy-woody base. A clean and soapy take on Vetiver.
KingPinKingPin 1 year ago
5.5
When I tried it my daughter immediately said “smells like carrots”, and I agree. Don’t like the iris in it, the rest is ok.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
I hoped it to be more performant. Nevertheless it's a good Vetiver au pair with the Guerlain duo and the Carven star although a bit fresher.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 2 years ago
One of the most easy to wear office fragrances.
StarA1StarA1 3 years ago
This fragrance always reminds me of ... dry tree leaves falling from trees in autumn

by Scottie
by Scottie
Himmelberg im Nebel
by VanAllan
by VanAllan
Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum)
by Huxley
by Cezar
by Cezar
Der Alltagsduft - ist ein Spezialist im Büro und Alleskönner tagsüber

Popular Tom Ford

Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather 16 by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Lost Cherry by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Beau de Jour (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Amber Absolute by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud Intense by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua by Tom Ford Vert d'Encens by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford White Suede (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Minérale by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Tom Ford