Grey Vetiver (2009) Eau de Parfum

Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford

Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for men and was released in 2009. The scent is fresh-green. It is still in production.

Harry Frémont

Top Notes Top NotesOrange blossom, Grapefruit, Sage, Warm woods
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Nutmeg, Pimento
Base Notes Base NotesAmberwood, Oakmoss, Vetiver

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 14.10.2019

9.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

10 years and not a bit of silence
vetiver's spirits differ, this note can probably only be hated or loved. I am one of the followers, but can now only very few representatives of this category take a liking, Grey Vetiver is clearly one of them and beyond that my No. 1. My second favorite is Haitian Vetiver from Ermenegildo Zegna. I only saw earlier that Harry Frémont also mixed it, which explains a lot. With the Zegna fragrance, I thought it was the carrot seeds that brought this great note, but this is also present in Grey Vetiver, just no seeds listed. Is it from a small dose of iris? Could be. Anyway, Grey Vetiver is one of the big guys for me and at eye level with Aventus and his friends, even if he wasn't assigned to the Private Blend series, but wrapped in the cheaper designer bottle. I know there are people who think it smells too green, or like insect spray, or sun spray... I don't want to contradict that at all, because in fact vetiver is often used there, but I associate it with other associations such as cultivated professionalism, male elegance and sexiness. It makes me feel fresh and it's hard for me to understand why not everyone likes it as much as I do. Even though Grey Vetiver among all Tom Ford perfumes is more in the shadow of many of the brand's classics and popular perfumes, for me it is currently the best TF fragrance. But I must admit, the 6-7 TF fragrances that also got top marks from me, I'm currently all fed up with each other and Grey Vetiver rather rediscovered again. It works very well in hot weather, good in cold, business as well as casual and festive, it doesn't fit so well on teenagers, it comes very soberly grown up, although it is one of the most pleasing of its kind. The smokiness as known from Guarlain was removed from him, or never added to him, he is mild, not too green, not too one-dimensional. He has a great development, I like him from the first second, his intermediate phases and the drydown. He has a good durability, but is far behind e.g. Black Orchid regarding his performance, but I think he doesn't want that either. If I ever get married, I think it's a candidate for the day
5.0 8.0 8.0 5.0/10

AdAstra72
I love him, I don't love him, I love him, I don't love him ...
In my collection Grey Vetiver is the one and only fragrance with which I always have to fight.
If I have applied it fresh, then I find it really very nice grassy, tart and masculine.
After 10 to 15 minutes he starts to annoy and suffocate me, only to become a pleasantly discreet companion again half an hour later with whom I feel comfortable again This game then goes from one round to the next, which is due to its quite strong Sillage and durability and the very powerful and certainly somewhat overpresented Vetiver.
Grey Vetiver challenges the senses and is anything but a flatterer. Maybe that's why I can't separate from him and wear him again and again.
In any case, one should test him extensively before you get him. No simple little water ...

Helpful Review
Grey Vetiver - Tom Ford
I am pretty sure this is the very first Tom Ford I ever tried and it has taken me a while to finally put some words together for it. Hope you enjoy the review....

8.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Signature scent worthy
This one is an inoffensive, respectful and clean frag that is just perfect as signature scent. Wear it to the office, to meetings or even to wedding... it just works without shouting “HERE I AM!”.

The vetiver is very prominent without being “dirty”. This is a clean vetiver frag, a soapy one.

I prefer this over th EDT alltho that one is fantastic as well. To my nose this is a more fuller version and the edt is more light and citrus.
However I don’t have the need to own both, but maybe you do?

Violin Concerto
This begins like Beethoven's violin concerto: a few gentle taps on the drums - one might think the drummer is merely testing his instrument. Then the strings entering, almost like a morning mist rising from the surface of the river. And then it's enveloped you, perhaps before your conscious mind has even fully formed the idea that it has begun atall.

I found no clear front end with this one. It just kind of fades in. It doesn't announce its arrival, you just turn round at some point and find that its there. That's probably why I dismissed it for so long in the retail environment - squirted it on a card, "what's this - nothing there!", move on. I suppose a perfume like this is not marketted through the retail environment, but more by the "what's that you're wearing? where can I get some?" process. 'Word-of-nose', one might call it!

It was marketted to me rather by learning that vetiver perfumes do tend to be subtle & gentle in that way, by learning through patient coaching to appreciate the lighter perfumes, and also (& some will say this is reckless!) by trusting the brand of Tom Ford.

Do I regret it now I am giving it its first proper assay? No. Is it as gorgeous as Beethoven's Violin Concerto? No, but that's asking way too much! I haven't as yet found the perfume equivalent of that in any price-brackett, & perhaps I never will. It ^is^ gorgeous though. It's better than I expected, actually: I'm seriously impressed! Gentle draughts of olfactory caress are umschweifing me at this very moment, and I'm loving it!

One of the items fræ my reading about vetiver is that people in Haiti and in Indonesia, where it grows, put bundles of it in their wardrobes & clothes chests so that the emananation from it suffuses their clothes. Good idea! I think I would do so if I lived there.

... a few minutes later ...
Didn't expect to come back quite so quickly. This one's giving me a distinct ^medicinal^ signature! wasn't expecting that fræ this one.

... another few minutes later ...
I'm actually getting rapidly ^extremely^ impressed with this. It °whooshes° me everytime I catch a whyph of it. It's clearly a lot muskier than I initially realised (but musk ^is^ weird like that in its °stealth°, as all 'fume-heads know) - soapily musky. I'm beginning to imagine that I ^am^ a freshly-washed linen sheet!

Patient: "Doctor! Doctor! I keep thinking I'm a freshly-washed linen sheet!"
Doctor: "well - you're obviously wearing ~Grey Vetiver~ by Tom Ford, aren't you?!"

If that's the kind of fragrance you're looking for, and indeed people often are, this is certainly a prime candidate. And there is still that medicinal vibe lurking discretely.

This is a real-time account, BtW, as you might have guessed.

... the following day ... no longer realtime ...
Have been out now properly wearing this. I did not intend to at first; but as, as you see, it surpassed my expectations, I decided I would. And I found it a seriously robust panoply! Yes indeed - this stuff can well hold its own in a seriously tough environment.
8.0 8.0 7.0 8.0/10

StarA1
The smell of dry leaves falling from trees in autumn
Tom Ford Gray Vitiver is one of the most wonderful perfumes of the vetiver and very desirable by mature men and business people and is very suitable for job interviews, external interviews and public celebrations.
This fragrance I like to use it in autumn because its smell always reminds me of dry leaves falling from the trees in autumn
5.0 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Versatile multi-functional vetiver
Very delightful and sweet fresh dusty vetiver that opens yummy and goes through foggy fresh ultrachic pattern. This fragrance is much favorable for fans of designers; a trap to draw you into niche fragrances.

Grey Vetiver reminds me a doctor, probably optometrist, in steamed up shirt and perfectly shaves face, very decent very polite!
Has great longevity and enormous projection. This perfume is a twisted vetiver and grapefruit. You like it? Try Lampblack, you will be enchanted.
8/10
5.0 5.0 7.5 5.0/10

MSD
A matured scent with a poor silage
It is the first day that I'm using this frag. It's old and matured with a delicate scent. It is more Spicy than woody, I think.I can smell a bit sweetness either, but not much and the bitter side of it is more noticeable.
The longevity is good (less that 6 hours); however, projection is great for the firs 2 hours and then It subsides significantly in 2 hours as it can be smelled just near the skin. It means you need refresh it every 4 hours to have an acceptable silage if you mind this aspect of perfume.
It is a good perfume for Spring and a bit less for Fall For the price that you are spending, it is a bit disappointing. I expect more. After all, Although TFGV is a good frag for daily routines, it is not a good choice for night. I think it is a good stuff for males more than 40 years of age as it is a bit heavy.
For conclusion, I think you can purchase better perfumes by this range of price.

Classy contemporariness
Grey Vetiver is a good contemporary vetiver, “grey” in fact as regards of its sort of urban and discreet elegance, with a subtle smoky undertone well contrasting the luminous head notes. Clean and sharp, but also showing a pleasant feel of “dark” refinement. Simple, versatile, safe in pretty much any circumstance: a compelling modern version of a classic vetiver cologne, that sort of fresh-woody stuff you can bath in any time of the year always smelling nice and elegant. Surely not that unique or groundbreaking, but classy, well made and highly enjoyable.

7/10
7.5 7.5 7.5 10.0/10

The "Modern" Vetiver...
Tom Ford has a thing for recreating older, classic fragrances for a modern-day audience. Here, he took the note of Vetiver, a note with a history of use in men's fragrances (ever since Guerlain's classic in 1959). Because of this, he also associates Vetiver with male tailored clothing & style, as well as money. I think this is what he was aiming for here with his Grey Vetiver, a modern take on an old classic note.

Grey Vetiver opens up with a citrus top of Grapefruit, Orange Blossom and Sage, but the Veitver is there from the start. This is also a somewhat linear scent, as the Vetiver note is present from start to finish. I also get Nutmeg, Pimento and a dry, almost powder-like Orris note in the background followed by Oakmoss and some woods in the drydown. I see this as something of a "suit and tie" or "corporate boardroom" type of fragrance, and I think it would work better on men than women, but could also be worn as unisex.

Ultimately, for me... Having tried the Guerlain Vetiver before trying the Tom Ford, I find that I like the Guerlain version more (to me it smells more natural), but that doesn't mean Grey Vetiver doesn't have it's place. For one thing, it's in Eau de Parfum concentration, and does smell "modern" to most people, while the Guerlain can come across with mixed reactions from many people.

I think this is great, fresh, work fragrance but in my opinion it could also be worn in a casual setting. I also think that for people who don't like a deep, smoky type of Vetiver (or for people who don't like Vetiver as a note) would find this easier to warm up to and appreciate (and ultimately wear).

Overall I would say, if you didn't like the Guerlain, you will probably like this one, and if you did like the Guerlain, you will find this more accessible to wear in the modern day (ie it will "fit in" with modern trends). I do think this is a "safe" fragrance, but at least it's an extremely well-made one, and one which I wish more men would wear thesedays... instead of the tiring, boring aquatic nonsense which has flooded the male market so recently. A good "modern" male fragrance. Well made and up-to-date.

~ Out of the Grey ~
~ This is one of those negative reviews that rarely get written but I write it with "all due respect" to those that do enjoy this one. After ordering a sample and wearing TFGV for a few days having even tried to train my nose with multiple wearings to smell past the opening and dissect the few notes in the chain alas it is just not for me. Much like with TdH I just can't enjoy the combination of vetiver and citrus. To "my nose" it is just far too green, sharp, bitter and earthy perhaps? But this is definitely aptly named with Grey because that is exactly the color it evokes in me. ~
Kind Regards, Pt1

(with a nod to performance)
Sillage ~ Perfect 8/10
Longevity ~ All work day 9/10
Scent ~ "IMHO" 5/10
7.5 5.0 7.5 6.0/10

Simple and great!
This is a wonderful vetiver based scent, definetely a must have for who likes this note.

Not as dark as Encre Noire neither as sweet as L'Occitane Vetyver, this scent is a very well balanced vetiver-based fragrance - i would say this is a soft vetiver.

The sage in the opening and the moss in the base turns really make it different from many vetiver-based scents. The amber also gives it a little sweetness which i like very much.

So it's a 'simple' fragrance which have a good lasting power, sillage and projection. It's not groundbreaking, but a great scent that deserves at least a try. Thumbs up!

Revised January 2014
8.0/10

Whales
Even if i see the resemblance with Guerlain´s vetiver, i wouldnt want to have a bottle of this last one, meanwhile i am surprisingly very fond of Tom Ford´s. I say surprisingly because i normally appreciate a touch of weirdness in a fragance and Grey Vetiver is extremely civilized and classic in spirit. This could never scare anybody.

A clean, luminous vetiver, that veers to the green rather than the earthy, is the core of this fragance. Opening with lemon and bergamot, this is not an extremely bright one: the sun beams are diffused by a thin white fog, since it is not too cold nor warm. Grey Vetiver is tepid, fresh and foamy.

The herbal, citrusy opening is very pleasant, but is the heart and evolution of the perfume what i find so wonderful. There is a salty aspect in Grey Vetiver, that makes me think more in dolphins and other cetaceans´skin grayness rather than the color of a gentleman´s tailor-made suit. Probably the amber listed is no other than ambergris. Actually, this lukewarm saltiness is similar to Hermes´Eau des merveilles (based on ambergris) and probably even more to the also vetiver-based Sel Marin by Heeley. A residual hesperidic nuance enlightens, and a balmy touch of tonka sweetens, the cool, silver vetiver. Buttery orris gives a thick, smooth powderiness. Grey Vetiver is sublte and elegant sea escapade for everyday. Would love to own a bottle!
5.0 2.5 5.0 6.0/10

Drseid
A Modernized Guerlain's Vetiver That Is Completely Unexciting...
I agree with the previous comments about this being a more modern take on Guerlain's Vetiver. That can be either a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you feel about that scent. In my case, I don't care much for it and the same goes for Grey Vetiver as well.

Grey Vetiver is super fresh and inoffensive. It has subtle citrus and mild aromatics that seem to stand out more than the vetiver that is supposed to be the featured ingredient (not that any of the ingredients really stand out much). All of it is extremely well blended, modern and very polished and refined. That said, the vetiver lacks any character and is missing the raw nature that I enjoy in the best vetiver scents. I view this as a vetiver for people who dislike vetiver scents as a general rule. Most vetiver scent lovers will want something with more distinction, IMO. For others and folks looking for a "blend in" office scent, you could do worse than this one. 2.5 to 3 stars out of 5.

Vetiver! what should I say
If you love Vetiver by Guerlain but feel it is dry or sharp Vetiver, so you have to try this one. I believe you would love it, if you normally love Vetiver smell with a hint of Citruses.

KingPin 89 days ago
When I tried it my daughter immediately said “smells like carrots”, and I agree. Don’t like the iris in it, the rest is ok.+1
5.5
Carlitos01 181 days ago
I hoped it to be more performant. Nevertheless it's a good Vetiver au pair with the Guerlain duo and the Carven star although a bit fresher.+4
JoaoMartins 13 months ago
One of the most easy to wear office fragrances.+1
StarA1 20 months ago
This fragrance always reminds me of ... dry tree leaves falling from trees in autumn+1

by Scottie
by Scottie
by ChopIsland
by ChopIsland
by Mustang69
Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum)
by Huxley
by Cezar
by Cezar
Der Alltagsduft - ist ein Spezialist im Büro und Alleskönner tagsüber

Popular Tom Ford

Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Black Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme by Tom Ford Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Neroli Portofino (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Velvet Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford For Men (Eau de Toilette) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford White Patchouli by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford Soleil Blanc (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Violet Blonde by Tom Ford