Grey Vetiver 2009 Eau de Parfum

Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford
Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for men and was released in 2009. The scent is fresh-green. It is still available to purchase.
Scent goes well with Molecule 01

Harry Frémont

Top Notes Top NotesOrange blossomOrange blossom GrapefruitGrapefruit SageSage WoodsWoods
Heart Notes Heart NotesIrisIris NutmegNutmeg PimentoPimento
Base Notes Base NotesAmberwoodAmberwood OakmossOakmoss VetiverVetiver

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 14.05.2022.

Iris in sheep's clothing
One thing up front: Grey Vetiver is not a bad scent - but what it is not, in my opinion, is a vetiver. If you notice that note here at all, it's as a fleeting passerby (on a fast bike) in the base. What we actually have here (i.e. what absolutely dominates for my nose) is iris. After a spicy opening reminiscent of tobacco, even though that's not listed in the notes, this soft cuddly floral immediately comes through and stays. Where "stay" is meant in relative terms, because the longevity is unfortunately, as others here have noted more often, rather poor. Sure, you can re-spray, the fragrance will never slay you here, but that should not really be necessary with Tom Ford's price demands. All this is a pity, because as I said, the fragrance itself is very pleasant.
Remedy can be found, however - which I came across by chance, since I have the alternative fragrance just still here: The Dreamer by Versace resembles the Tom Ford namely in an almost frightening way (Where it would be formulated the other way around actually more correct, because the Dreamer is 13 years older). The Dreamer does have a tobacco component and lighter floral notes at the edge, but the overall impression is so similar that after half an hour I can no longer tell the two apart. In addition, the much better durability of Versace and the significantly lower price. For me, it will therefore remain with the tester of Grey Vetiver.
Yesterday at Douglas
My cousin wanted to convince me yesterday, while we were waiting for my train to Cologne, that Hanover is not so bleak and ugly after all.
While I'm looking for provisions, I run into a Douglas. Since I have lately heard they had taken Xerjoff in her assortment, it seduces me into the cave of the synthetic and the mainstream.
Not wanting to bust my cousin's balls, I stuck to the first shelf, a metre from the entrance.
No Xerjoff, but after Beau de jour I also wanted to keep an eye out.
In general, among the sweetly artificial swathes, I noticed a very nicely selected assortment on this shelf.
Some Douglas stores also surprise one positively and show passion with the means they have.
Towards the Tom Ford, Beau de jour was unfortunately packed.
But the Grey Vetiver tester laughed at me.
At first smell, I smelled only the usual Douglas smell.
But outside smelled a woody fruity mix.
The typical smoky vetiver kept in the background.
From the woody fresh came quickly the usual Vetiver DNA(no 20minuten) .
For me, a very nice fragrance, because I love smoky fragrances.
I do not know if the name influences me, but instead of a green scent picture, I take rather a dry yellow brown steppe was.
What I like but as I said very good!
Have a nice day and create what you want to create:)
Bestscent
More likely Grey Noir or Encre Vetiver.
Hello dear ones. Yesterday, my Grey Vetiver finally arrived and I could hardly wait to maneuver the first spray on the wrist. Thought, done and smelled.... Wait a minute, you recognize this one from somewhere? EXACTLY, Encre Noir is fruity!
To my nose, I smell a very penetrating, but super fruity natural, grapefruit out of this. Do not get me wrong, I mean that consistently positive! Otherwise, I smell 1:1 Encre Noir, so Encre Noir with fruity grapefruit.
For me, the fragrance is absolutely recommendable, fruity, earthy, woody and fresh. In my opinion, you can wear it at any time of day / night.
Easy to wear!
One of the few scents where the vetiver smells pleasantly fresh. It has a light office touch scent, would still say that he is also versatile wearable. There were also compliments already. The scent is very well balanced for me and I like the sillage too. It is not too fresh or too sweet.
Can not pull full that the synthetic smell, for me smells the real good natural.
Understatement for spraying Pt. II
And of the state-ment [that]
- [Conscious] understatement
- [false] modesty
- undervaluation

- is how Oxford Languages defines the term described above.

In the olfactory context, Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver is also such an understatement, as one hears, sees or reads little or nothing of this fragrance.

And yet this particular fragrance should be pushed and hyped much, much more, especially in view of the fact that clean office fragrances are very much in vogue again.
Because that's what it is, the Grey Vetiver: a beautiful, clean and yet striking office fragrance, which I now see as much more than that. Whether for a job interview, team meeting, business meeting or on a business trip - it could be used anywhere.

And now I lean out the window and say: Yes, right. But...

Because: In my eyes this fascinating fragrance fits not only into the business world but also into the leisure world. On a date, in the gym, in the evening in the cosy bar or in a café around the corner. The fragrance doesn't rub off anywhere - and yet it makes a statement.

Grey vetiver is initially very citrusy and reminiscent of any "light", "sport" or "leisure" version of any designer fragrance, whose original is actually heavy and dark.
But this prelude deceives his counterpart enormously... After only a few moments, noble, sublime woods show themselves and give the citrus notes a certain sovereignty and elegance, which I have never been able to smell in such a beautiful way with any other fragrance.
In addition, the sage plays a gentle melody in the background, which you can perceive and perceive as beautiful, but is by no means disturbing or intrusive.

In the further course of time, after about 30 minutes, the citric components of the fragrance withdraw noticeably, but still play a slightly playful role in the background and contribute to the lightness of the fragrance. Nutmeg and allspice begin to carry the woods and give the fragrance even more sublimity and sovereignty. Perhaps, quite possibly a certain amount of arrogance and presumptuousness, which can't hurt in the business world either.
Iris joins in and quickly brings the arrogance back down to earth with her purity and cleanliness and gives the Grey Vetiver its down-to-earthness in the heart note. At this point I hear slightly soapy notes, but they are by no means cheap or obtrusive, but remind me of expensive luxury soap.

According to the fragrance pyramid, the actual eponym of the fragrance, vetiver, only plays its ace in the drydown, although I doubt it.
In my case, the vetiver comes to the fore relatively quickly and remains in the foreground in a nice, linear way throughout the entire fragrance, which gives the eau de parfum class and elegance in a wonderfully simple way.

In the drydown, other woods are added to give the fragrance a good portion of long-lasting masculinity and round it off in a wonderful way.

For me the fragrance has become a clear favourite in my collection and definitely belongs in the top 10, if not the top 5 of my absolute favourite fragrances.

In my eyes... No... In my nose the Grey Vetiver EDP is a timeless classic, combining the simplicity of being with a beautiful elegance. And yet it is so versatile and does not rub off anywhere.

And although the fragrance is not off-putting anywhere and is very, very pleasing, it makes a very, very clear statement.

No understatement. No.
A STATEMENT.
Monotonous...
....the V8 hummed his song against the cool breeze that half-heartedly threw itself at him on the track loosely lined with bushes and flowers. For hours the two of us had been meandering along the narrow country road at the end of the world and slowly I didn't care how it might have come about in 1972 to name this leatherette-covered steel box after an African antelope. For some time now the air conditioner only sucked in the smell of hot oil, which I tried to get rid of through the half-opened side window. I had just given up the idea when suddenly a washed-out sign rushed by the side of the road, which promised a break at the high horizon.

Half an hour later I turned into the entrance of an old gas station on the remote pass. It seemed to have had its best times behind it for quite a while. A station in diner-style, as they had been built in the 40s, 50s on almost every highway. Apart from an unshaven cowboy who probably belonged to the inventory for umpteen years, not a soul was to be seen. The cowboy was sitting in an office glazed to the street. He had made himself comfortable in an old armchair and seemed to think about whether it was worthwhile to take a sip of the long cold coffee or to light a new cigarette. When I nodded my head, he came out of his shed with a questioning look at the petrol pump and, shortly after my second nod, started to use it to refuel the car. While the pump started buzzing nervously and the scent of the surrounding orange trees mixed with the gasoline mist from the old pump nozzle, I stared thoughtfully into the warm sunset and enjoyed the view of the landscape flooded with copper light under the evening colored sky.

The cowboy still wiped the insects off the windshield of the car. He reminded me that the engine was lacking some oil and that the filter of the air conditioning system had probably broken at some point. The idea seemed familiar somehow. Asked if there was anything he could do about it, he waved me with a casual hand movement towards his workshop and went ahead while I started the car to follow him. The workshop had to be as old and original as everything here. Nevertheless it seemed to be tidy and halfway clean. When I opened the door, I was greeted by the usual evaporation of rubber and drying waste oil, which testified to the many years of screwing, painting, scrapping and repairing here. I looked around while the cowboy half disappeared in the engine compartment of the Chevy. Apparently he knew his way around, and there had been who knows how many cars gutted here. They had stood around abandoned, waiting for their fate, a repair or a new buyer. Old companion(s), with dry batteries and the not-burnt hope in their metallic hearts that the cowboy would give them one last chance. The chance to compete again with the fresh breeze of spring, the warm wind of summer, the autumn storms with their rains or the winter snowdrift. This was probably what the three large-volume sedans were hoping for, their roundish, bulky shapes half covered by tarpaulins. With flat tires, they dreamt of old times and endless highways in the back of the workshop.

But only one of us got back there today. At some point, in the middle of all that thinking, my car was ready again. I followed the cowboy into his office, which looked much bigger on the inside than I had estimated on the outside. The walls, painted white for the last time a long time ago, and the seating furniture with the fragile imitation leather upholstery, still exhaled this aura, somewhere between quietly evaporating solvent and old cotton fabric. The heavy wooden cupboards seemed to be filled to bursting with files full of invoices, delivery notes and receipts, which had probably been put in battle order long ago to account to some accountants. Today, they seemed to be of no more importance than capturing the age of this office with the smell of dusty, printed paper, as if in a photograph.

Through the window, the sunlight in the room with the dust fibres of the air danced on the once oiled wooden floorboards and I watched it until the clanging crash of the old, mechanical cash register took me out of my daydream. Friendly the cowboy held out his hand and took his money. I paid and thanked him. Then I said goodbye and went to my car. I had just left the garage when the cowboy appeared in front of my radiator. Smiling, he came to my window, handed me some kind of business card and tapped his Stetson with the index and middle finger of his right hand. Half a minute later the silhouette of my car, dull rumbling, plunged into the low sun on the highway to the next valley, while I lost sight of the gas station in the rear-view mirror.

When I woke up it was bright morning and the sun had set out on its way to its highest point in the steel blue sky. I could hear the noise of the city and was just about to get up when my gaze fell on a business card eaten by the sunlight, which I held in my hand. Still half asleep, smoothing out the slightly crumpled card close to my eyes, I deciphered with difficulty: ...inspired by Tom Ford, Grey Vetiver, EdP.
I already have it
The fragrance has been a very familiar one to me and so I searched my collection a little bit to find the scent it reminds me a little bit of
It didn't take long and I found what I was looking for I have the Oasis Verte from Rituals and it should smell the same as the Terre D'Hermes and it is also very famous for vetiver
I think I discovered vetiver for myself Because it smells fresh but not what is often found in the mainstream a la Sauvage.
It also has a slightly "dirty" side which gives the fragrance something sexy For durability I can say that it is solid but not a perfomence beast.
6 hours should already be in it but then it becomes softer and softer and is then only very close to the skin.

I can certainly understand why people say that they either love or hate vetiver and there is nothing in between
Sillage is good, because it goes up my nose again and again, but not continuously and therefore it doesn't seem obtrusive.

I can't say anything about the bottle, because I will use the bottling first, but afterwards I will order the perfume immediately.
But on the basis of the pictures it seems to be processed very high-quality which I would not imagine differently with a Tom Ford fragrance.

All in all, the scent is definitely worth buying and I think it is always a feast for the eyes when you find a Tom Ford scent in your collection.
DerRobinHalt
Inappropriate name, but great scent with similarity to a Roja
First of all, this is my first comment and I'm not yet that well versed in fragrances and how to smell the individual scents, but I'll do my best! ????

Quite contrary to the name "Grey Vetiver", this citric fragrance in the top note reminds me of summer, beach and sea. Just like a sea breeze, fresh and pure In the base note, I even recognize certain similarities to the Roja Elysium, with the, in my eyes, very flowery finish. I currently have a sample of the Roja at hand and can therefore compare the two fragrances directly. The Tom Ford smells less complex compared to the Roja, but for the price difference between the two, hats off!
All in all, the Tom Ford is a great scent that I like to wear in summer, especially when I long for holidays and the sea ;-)
Metallic elegant understatement type
Why I was able to keep this Tom Ford in the background for so long is not clear to me until the first test of this scent. Maybe I did not expect much and focused too much on the Private Blend Collection. In any case, it hit me suddenly when the first spray touched my skin.
After many Tom Ford fragrances, I would have truly never expected this kind of fragrance composition. Maybe it was a little bit wistfulness to discover nothing else in the collection, although the variants could not be more different.

But now I have just been convinced by another fragrance that does not belong to the high-price segment of the line. Grey vetiver is the epitome of understatement, elegance and possible office fragrance. I think of wafts of mist which slowly spread over the whole body. These bring a metallic clarity and elegance at the same time that you get goose bumps. You can hear light wood, some delicate freshness due to certain citrus notes and some delicate spice. The spice comes across to me like juniper berries and piement.
Something grey, misty and metallic remains permanently on the skin. Perhaps it is the vetiver and moss. It is not for me to filter out exactly.

Grey Vetiver is simply wonderful, refreshing for me in the Tom Ford Collection and convincingly unobtrusive.
Biker
One should not try to love this perfume...
...because either you come together and know very quickly that it is just the right scent for yourself or not.
If you prefer a certain style of clothing, it is because it suits you particularly well or because you feel good with it. This could also be transferred to clothing colours.
The situation is similar with fragrances. Of course you must like the fragrance, but it should also suit your personality and support your charisma. Grey Vetiver can do this extraordinarily well. But it doesn't fit everyone. You can struggle as hard as that; if it doesn't fit, you should leave it there. Perhaps also out of disappointment, this perfume is given certain attributes, such as herbaceous, one-dimensional, pungent, suitable for office use. You can certainly feel it that way. If you read it, you don't even think about testing that perfume.

I like to compare a fragrance with a pictorial idea from nature.
With this perfume I see an alluvial landscape, and for my sake with water. It is early in the morning shortly after sunrise, still it is cool and from the fog that lies over the meadows and trees the first rays of the sun emerge The fragrance opens up wonderfully fresh and vetiver also comes out of the background. It darkens a bit and adds a little smokiness. No trace of dull herbaceousness or creakiness.
Fitting would be elegant, manly, understatement. Of course this also fits for the office, but also beyond that.
His radiation is excellent and for me one spray is enough. Too much can burden you as a fragrance carrier, as well as others. I don't wear such a strong scent every day either. I don't want him getting tired of me. In this way the joy of it is preserved.

I also have the impression that Tom Ford didn't come up with a suitable name with the name "Grey Vetiver". I associate grey with such boring things as november grey, grey socks, grey (metallic) coloured cars. Somehow boring and this does not do justice to the perfume at all.

BertolucciKBertolucciK 9 months ago
In the opening, a burst of fresh citruses and vetiver. In the drydown, you get a green, earthy and soft woody scent. Clean and easy to like.
Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 1 year ago
fresh watery vetiver how I like it. Not earthy at all. Pure class in a bottle
BielwenassBielwenass 2 years ago
Vetiver + citrus. Light, clean and safe. Vetiver here is close to Guerlain's, though less medicinal and unpleasant.
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 2 years ago
A rather spicy-green Spring fragrance with fresh-citric nuances, balanced by a gentle earthy-woody base. A clean and soapy take on Vetiver.
KingPinKingPin 3 years ago
5.5
When I tried it my daughter immediately said “smells like carrots”, and I agree. Don’t like the iris in it, the rest is ok.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
I hoped it to be more performant. Nevertheless it's a good Vetiver au pair with the Guerlain duo and the Carven star although a bit fresher.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 4 years ago
One of the most easy to wear office fragrances.
StarA1StarA1 4 years ago
This fragrance always reminds me of ... dry tree leaves falling from trees in autumn

by Scottie
by Scottie
Himmelberg im Nebel
Grey winter day...
by TheDorn81
by TheDorn81
by Sumi
Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum)
by Huxley
by Cezar
by Cezar
Der Alltagsduft - ist ein Spezialist im Büro und Alleskönner tagsüber

Popular by Tom Ford

Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Lost Cherry (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Beau de Jour (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Amber Absolute by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Minérale by Tom Ford Ombré Leather 16 by Tom Ford Eau de Soleil Blanc by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud Intense by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford Soleil Blanc (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford