Grey Vetiver (2009)Eau de Parfum

Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford

Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for men and was released in 2009. The scent is fresh-green. It is still in production.

Harry Frémont

Top Notes Top NotesOrange blossom, Grapefruit, Sage, Warm woods
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Nutmeg, Pimento
Base Notes Base NotesAmberwood, Oakmoss, Vetiver

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 22.11.2019.

6.0 7.5 10.0 10.0/10

Biker
One should not try to love this perfume...
...because either you come together and know very quickly that it is just the right scent for yourself or not.
If you prefer a certain style of clothing, it is because it suits you particularly well or because you feel good with it. This could also be transferred to clothing colours.
The situation is similar with fragrances. Of course you must like the fragrance, but it should also suit your personality and support your charisma. Grey Vetiver can do this extraordinarily well. But it doesn't fit everyone. You can struggle as hard as that; if it doesn't fit, you should leave it there. Perhaps also out of disappointment, this perfume is given certain attributes, such as herbaceous, one-dimensional, pungent, suitable for office use. You can certainly feel it that way. If you read it, you don't even think about testing that perfume.

I like to compare a fragrance with a pictorial idea from nature.
With this perfume I see an alluvial landscape, and for my sake with water. It is early in the morning shortly after sunrise, still it is cool and from the fog that lies over the meadows and trees the first rays of the sun emerge The fragrance opens up wonderfully fresh and vetiver also comes out of the background. It darkens a bit and adds a little smokiness. No trace of dull herbaceousness or creakiness.
Fitting would be elegant, manly, understatement. Of course this also fits for the office, but also beyond that.
His radiation is excellent and for me one spray is enough. Too much can burden you as a fragrance carrier, as well as others. I don't wear such a strong scent every day either. I don't want him getting tired of me. In this way the joy of it is preserved.

I also have the impression that Tom Ford didn't come up with a suitable name with the name "Grey Vetiver". I associate grey with such boring things as november grey, grey socks, grey (metallic) coloured cars. Somehow boring and this does not do justice to the perfume at all.
9.0 7.0 8.0 10.0/10

KnowThis30
When a fragrance of time gives emotions...
...then it must be one with whom one connects something in one way or another, preferably of course something positive through and through. But perhaps just a feeling, a memory, a weak shadow on the structure of one's own thoughts - far away in the background and beyond the tangible, but always close enough at the right time to point the finger at it to be able to name it. In this or a similar way I would describe Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver (EDP), someone would ask me to equate this fragrance with a feeling.

"Clean, somehow clean and clean."
Probably these would be the words of a tester who would have been offered a scent like Vetiver by Guerlain (but also from 1959 and thus exactly 50 years older than the scent described here) for comparison before or perhaps at the same time. Unlike most (mostly or mainly) vetiver-based fragrances, the perfumer Harry Frémont has used grapefruit and iris to create the famous trick of removing the "hardness", the "scratchiness" or, as many would say, the "mouffliness" from the sweet grass that originated in Asia Not that a classic like Guerlain's can be described as "musty", but in a time of synthetic and sweet scents, it is often precisely this characteristic that brands the scents as "old-school" or - and this is the real outrage - "old-man's scent" with too much vetiver. Harry Frémont, on the other hand, manages to bind the - yes, probably the tester is not wrong at all - cleanest variant of vetiver in this fragrance.
Seemingly teasing, the early morning walk through a path covered in fog away from the asphalted roads seems to be a teasing experience. The air seems to stand still and yet to have preserved the fine smell of the surrounding meadows and grasses in the tiny water droplets of the fog.

"Well, I can imagine him for the job! But otherwise...well..."
In fact and not without reason Grey Vetiver is advertised in the forums as well as in the corresponding videos on YouTube as a "clean man" and as an "office" scent and thus indirectly tries to bring to the man.
Just because all (or at least almost all) protruding splinters and edges have been taken from the leading vetiver, it doesn't seem to get to anyone. Nothing gets caught, nowhere seems a nose to be turned up or even a disparaging comment to be made. Vetiver scents on your own skin seem to be either loved or hated - in the air or on others, on the other hand, everyone seems to be able to at least come to terms with them.
But what about the orange blossom and the grapefruit? Nothing!, here should be the honest answer.
Although they are immediately and wonderfully harmoniously embedded in the fragrance every time they are sprayed again, their actual presence is only of very short duration. Already after a few minutes up to a quarter of an hour they clear the way for the herbs, the woods and the clarifying iris in combination with the nutmeg, which in turn seem to be only the trailblazers for the grass giving the name. Few commutes to and from work should be short enough (no post-spraying during the working day taken into account) to reduce the
To present the so wonderfully introductory fragrances to colleagues. Nevertheless, they should not be missing in any case, let alone ignored in the description of the fragrance. Only in common harmony with the vetiver do they leave this fragrance a story, a start and an end - no disdainful being. Those who experience the heart and top notes enjoy them, whereas the base notes at least give a hint of the past.

"Pretty unemotional and cool."
True. Grey Vetiver is definitely not a fragrance for the club, disco or similar venues! Not because he seems to lack the necessary strength and endurance for such races, no, but because he doesn't want to shine with his presence in such places anyway or show any other presence. Straight-lined and quite a bit undercooled, it does not seem to originate from this time on many days. A naive observer would probably not guess the right year - oh iwo, probably not even the right decade - if he had to fix this scent on a timeline without any other indication.
A fragrance that seems to originate from an era in which the suit, the Oxfords, Budapest and tie in the
most professions were not only good tone, but fixed guidelines, yes, clear instructions. A time in which an opinion was not immediately commented, tweeted or hashed - and not only because the
were not yet available according to technical possibilities. Grey Vetiver seems to come almost entirely from a quieter time, in which restraint, reserve and thoughtfulness were preferred to indignation, outcry and branding. An epoch with as many - albeit sometimes completely different - injustices and mistakes as today, but also with as many qualities that seem to fall victim to the ravages of time unnecessarily.

"Somehow I only smell it so briefly."
Either way, a tester could describe the fragrance because of its shelf life. And in no way would the tester be wrong. Grey Vetiver is one of those fragrances that doesn't seem to care much about impressing a large environment with its Sillage. Relatively quickly at arm's length, the fragrance nevertheless knows how to hold its own and can rightly continue to bear the name "Eau de Parfum". Even if your own nose doesn't seem to perceive him anymore because of the environment or oversaturation, he still sticks, knows how to please and gets a rare compliment even when you think you've already flown away the scent.

"But I think the bottle's pretty!"
Of course. The art deco style reduced to the absolute minimum, the milky glass with its grooved surface, the cool metal plate on the front and the almost lonely silver ring on the neck of the bottle - they all radiate with bravura what Grey Vetiver tries to be: an unagitated, reserved but by no means reserved scent that seems to have almost fallen out of time In a time in which the loud, the colourful, the excited and polarising seems to set the direction and we will miss some - only almost - past virtues, it should be completely lost to us.
9.0 8.0 8.0 9.0/10

Grey vetiver in a black-and-white movie called La Dolce Vita
Hello esteemed perfume community,

first an important info: This will be my first comment here on the portal, so I lose my virginity... once again.
This perfume has a special significance for me, because it has enchanted my sense of smell in a new way, just like Anita Ekberg once enchanted the whole film world with the well-known scene in the Trevi Fountain.
Actually, the fragrance should be called White Vetiver, because it directly gives the impression of having a white vest, of giving a clear impression, of being direct and steadfast.
In the top note the grapefruit stands out, in the heart note iris and in the base vetiver. Yes, Vetiver. Vetiver here and there, Vetiver clearly dominates. No trace of synthetic perceptible.
The Eau de Parfum smells fresh and this noble freshness smell shimmers again and again in the everyday life, over many hours. You quickly have to get used to phrases like "you smell good but" or "what kind of perfume is this". I grin every time anew and am happy that the scent secret still works here (I mean that not everyone is familiar with this scent - which I very much welcome!).
But why Grey and not White?
If you apply it more often, you will notice that this fragrance is not only clean, but also dirty, but in a subtle way. A bit like seeing something shimmering on a shiny surface that you don't recognize at first glance. It also triggers desire, it attracts the opposite sex, but it's not wicked or really "dirrrrty," but rather in the direction of 50 Shades of Gr*y -hmm... different spelling, you know ;-)
So it's an elegant, reserved, dirty way, one that doesn't want to attract attention. Like a black tux, worn by the current James Bond Daniel Craig. Black so.
And if you mix black and white, then you'll always have grey, for better or for worse. Now I get it, Tom Ford.
Well done - thanks :)

9.0 8.0 8.0 9.0/10

Pollita
Perfect fragrance for the office
I know now that I'm definitely a vetiver fan. After all, I have known and loved Armani Privé's Vétiver d'Hivèr, owned by my better half, for several years. Apart from this, I did not consciously deal with vetiver scents. Until this sample lands in a swap package. And finally the Tom Fords all have to be tested. I sprayed it on without great expectations and was more than positively surprised. It is delicate, unobtrusive, pleasing but nevertheless striking and somewhat scratchy. It speaks to me immensely. The same was true of Mr Pollito, who, by the way, looks very good on him. I wouldn't want to wear Grey Vetiver myself right now. He'd be too creaky green for that. But: Grey Vetiver is for my taste a perfect office fragrance for the gentleman. It has depth and recognition value, smells super pleasant and at the same time not obtrusive and completely without nerve factor. Grey Vetiver is for me the perfect Office for Men, if you will. This fragrance is also sophisticated. It doesn't suit every proll and that's what makes it interesting for me. What Sauvage is to the standard sales representative, Grey Vetiver is to the stylish leader.

Just like Amouage's Reflection, this one is one that smells pleasantly clean, giving the wearer sympathy points. But he also has corners and edges. Before Grey Vetiver I couldn't have imagined that a fragrance with orange blossoms could smell really masculine, but this one has the knack. The iris gives the rather green-herbal scent a delicate touch.

Beautiful composition by Tom. And now we have the new fragrance from Mr. Pollito :)

Thanks to DerDefcon for rehearsing
9.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

10 years and not a bit of silence
vetiver's spirits differ, this note can probably only be hated or loved. I am one of the followers, but can now only very few representatives of this category take a liking, Grey Vetiver is clearly one of them and beyond that my No. 1. My second favorite is Haitian Vetiver from Ermenegildo Zegna. I only saw earlier that Harry Frémont also mixed it, which explains a lot. With the Zegna fragrance, I thought it was the carrot seeds that brought this great note, but this is also present in Grey Vetiver, just no seeds listed. Is it from a small dose of iris? Could be. Anyway, Grey Vetiver is one of the big guys for me and at eye level with Aventus and his friends, even if he wasn't assigned to the Private Blend series, but wrapped in the cheaper designer bottle. I know there are people who think it smells too green, or like insect spray, or sun spray... I don't want to contradict that at all, because in fact vetiver is often used there, but I associate it with other associations such as cultivated professionalism, male elegance and sexiness. It makes me feel fresh and it's hard for me to understand why not everyone likes it as much as I do. Even though Grey Vetiver among all Tom Ford perfumes is more in the shadow of many of the brand's classics and popular perfumes, for me it is currently the best TF fragrance. But I must admit, the 6-7 TF fragrances that also got top marks from me, I'm currently all fed up with each other and Grey Vetiver rather rediscovered again. It works very well in hot weather, good in cold, business as well as casual and festive, it doesn't fit so well on teenagers, it comes very soberly grown up, although it is one of the most pleasing of its kind. The smokiness as known from Guarlain was removed from him, or never added to him, he is mild, not too green, not too one-dimensional. He has a great development, I like him from the first second, his intermediate phases and the drydown. He has a good durability, but is far behind e.g. Black Orchid regarding his performance, but I think he doesn't want that either. If I ever get married, I think it's a candidate for the day
9.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Grey Vetiver - Tom Ford
I am pretty sure this is the very first Tom Ford I ever tried and it has taken me a while to finally put some words together for it. Hope you enjoy the review....

8.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Signature scent worthy
This one is an inoffensive, respectful and clean frag that is just perfect as signature scent. Wear it to the office, to meetings or even to wedding... it just works without shouting “HERE I AM!”.

The vetiver is very prominent without being “dirty”. This is a clean vetiver frag, a soapy one.

I prefer this over th EDT alltho that one is fantastic as well. To my nose this is a more fuller version and the edt is more light and citrus.
However I don’t have the need to own both, but maybe you do?

Violin Concerto
This begins like Beethoven's violin concerto: a few gentle taps on the drums - one might think the drummer is merely testing his instrument. Then the strings entering, almost like a morning mist rising from the surface of the river. And then it's enveloped you, perhaps before your conscious mind has even fully formed the idea that it has begun atall.

I found no clear front end with this one. It just kind of fades in. It doesn't announce its arrival, you just turn round at some point and find that its there. That's probably why I dismissed it for so long in the retail environment - squirted it on a card, "what's this - nothing there!", move on. I suppose a perfume like this is not marketted through the retail environment, but more by the "what's that you're wearing? where can I get some?" process. 'Word-of-nose', one might call it!

It was marketted to me rather by learning that vetiver perfumes do tend to be subtle & gentle in that way, by learning through patient coaching to appreciate the lighter perfumes, and also (& some will say this is reckless!) by trusting the brand of Tom Ford.

Do I regret it now I am giving it its first proper assay? No. Is it as gorgeous as Beethoven's Violin Concerto? No, but that's asking way too much! I haven't as yet found the perfume equivalent of that in any price-brackett, & perhaps I never will. It ^is^ gorgeous though. It's better than I expected, actually: I'm seriously impressed! Gentle draughts of olfactory caress are umschweifing me at this very moment, and I'm loving it!

One of the items fræ my reading about vetiver is that people in Haiti and in Indonesia, where it grows, put bundles of it in their wardrobes & clothes chests so that the emananation from it suffuses their clothes. Good idea! I think I would do so if I lived there.

... a few minutes later ...
Didn't expect to come back quite so quickly. This one's giving me a distinct ^medicinal^ signature! wasn't expecting that fræ this one.

... another few minutes later ...
I'm actually getting rapidly ^extremely^ impressed with this. It °whooshes° me everytime I catch a whyph of it. It's clearly a lot muskier than I initially realised (but musk ^is^ weird like that in its °stealth°, as all 'fume-heads know) - soapily musky. I'm beginning to imagine that I ^am^ a freshly-washed linen sheet!

Patient: "Doctor! Doctor! I keep thinking I'm a freshly-washed linen sheet!"
Doctor: "well - you're obviously wearing ~Grey Vetiver~ by Tom Ford, aren't you?!"

If that's the kind of fragrance you're looking for, and indeed people often are, this is certainly a prime candidate. And there is still that medicinal vibe lurking discretely.

This is a real-time account, BtW, as you might have guessed.

... the following day ... no longer realtime ...
Have been out now properly wearing this. I did not intend to at first; but as, as you see, it surpassed my expectations, I decided I would. And I found it a seriously robust panoply! Yes indeed - this stuff can well hold its own in a seriously tough environment.
8.0 8.0 7.0 8.0/10

StarA1
The smell of dry leaves falling from trees in autumn
Tom Ford Gray Vitiver is one of the most wonderful perfumes of the vetiver and very desirable by mature men and business people and is very suitable for job interviews, external interviews and public celebrations.
This fragrance I like to use it in autumn because its smell always reminds me of dry leaves falling from the trees in autumn
5.0 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Versatile multi-functional vetiver
Very delightful and sweet fresh dusty vetiver that opens yummy and goes through foggy fresh ultrachic pattern. This fragrance is much favorable for fans of designers; a trap to draw you into niche fragrances.

Grey Vetiver reminds me a doctor, probably optometrist, in steamed up shirt and perfectly shaves face, very decent very polite!
Has great longevity and enormous projection. This perfume is a twisted vetiver and grapefruit. You like it? Try Lampblack, you will be enchanted.
8/10
5.0 5.0 7.5 5.0/10

MSD
A matured scent with a poor silage
It is the first day that I'm using this frag. It's old and matured with a delicate scent. It is more Spicy than woody, I think.I can smell a bit sweetness either, but not much and the bitter side of it is more noticeable.
The longevity is good (less that 6 hours); however, projection is great for the firs 2 hours and then It subsides significantly in 2 hours as it can be smelled just near the skin. It means you need refresh it every 4 hours to have an acceptable silage if you mind this aspect of perfume.
It is a good perfume for Spring and a bit less for Fall For the price that you are spending, it is a bit disappointing. I expect more. After all, Although TFGV is a good frag for daily routines, it is not a good choice for night. I think it is a good stuff for males more than 40 years of age as it is a bit heavy.
For conclusion, I think you can purchase better perfumes by this range of price.

Classy contemporariness
Grey Vetiver is a good contemporary vetiver, “grey” in fact as regards of its sort of urban and discreet elegance, with a subtle smoky undertone well contrasting the luminous head notes. Clean and sharp, but also showing a pleasant feel of “dark” refinement. Simple, versatile, safe in pretty much any circumstance: a compelling modern version of a classic vetiver cologne, that sort of fresh-woody stuff you can bath in any time of the year always smelling nice and elegant. Surely not that unique or groundbreaking, but classy, well made and highly enjoyable.

7/10
7.5 7.5 7.5 10.0/10

The "Modern" Vetiver...
Tom Ford has a thing for recreating older, classic fragrances for a modern-day audience. Here, he took the note of Vetiver, a note with a history of use in men's fragrances (ever since Guerlain's classic in 1959). Because of this, he also associates Vetiver with male tailored clothing & style, as well as money. I think this is what he was aiming for here with his Grey Vetiver, a modern take on an old classic note.

Grey Vetiver opens up with a citrus top of Grapefruit, Orange Blossom and Sage, but the Veitver is there from the start. This is also a somewhat linear scent, as the Vetiver note is present from start to finish. I also get Nutmeg, Pimento and a dry, almost powder-like Orris note in the background followed by Oakmoss and some woods in the drydown. I see this as something of a "suit and tie" or "corporate boardroom" type of fragrance, and I think it would work better on men than women, but could also be worn as unisex.

Ultimately, for me... Having tried the Guerlain Vetiver before trying the Tom Ford, I find that I like the Guerlain version more (to me it smells more natural), but that doesn't mean Grey Vetiver doesn't have it's place. For one thing, it's in Eau de Parfum concentration, and does smell "modern" to most people, while the Guerlain can come across with mixed reactions from many people.

I think this is great, fresh, work fragrance but in my opinion it could also be worn in a casual setting. I also think that for people who don't like a deep, smoky type of Vetiver (or for people who don't like Vetiver as a note) would find this easier to warm up to and appreciate (and ultimately wear).

Overall I would say, if you didn't like the Guerlain, you will probably like this one, and if you did like the Guerlain, you will find this more accessible to wear in the modern day (ie it will "fit in" with modern trends). I do think this is a "safe" fragrance, but at least it's an extremely well-made one, and one which I wish more men would wear thesedays... instead of the tiring, boring aquatic nonsense which has flooded the male market so recently. A good "modern" male fragrance. Well made and up-to-date.

~ Out of the Grey ~
~ This is one of those negative reviews that rarely get written but I write it with "all due respect" to those that do enjoy this one. After ordering a sample and wearing TFGV for a few days having even tried to train my nose with multiple wearings to smell past the opening and dissect the few notes in the chain alas it is just not for me. Much like with TdH I just can't enjoy the combination of vetiver and citrus. To "my nose" it is just far too green, sharp, bitter and earthy perhaps? But this is definitely aptly named with Grey because that is exactly the color it evokes in me. ~
Kind Regards, Pt1

(with a nod to performance)
Sillage ~ Perfect 8/10
Longevity ~ All work day 9/10
Scent ~ "IMHO" 5/10
7.5 5.0 7.5 6.0/10

Simple and great!
This is a wonderful vetiver based scent, definetely a must have for who likes this note.

Not as dark as Encre Noire neither as sweet as L'Occitane Vetyver, this scent is a very well balanced vetiver-based fragrance - i would say this is a soft vetiver.

The sage in the opening and the moss in the base turns really make it different from many vetiver-based scents. The amber also gives it a little sweetness which i like very much.

So it's a 'simple' fragrance which have a good lasting power, sillage and projection. It's not groundbreaking, but a great scent that deserves at least a try. Thumbs up!

Revised January 2014
8.0/10

Whales
Even if i see the resemblance with Guerlain´s vetiver, i wouldnt want to have a bottle of this last one, meanwhile i am surprisingly very fond of Tom Ford´s. I say surprisingly because i normally appreciate a touch of weirdness in a fragance and Grey Vetiver is extremely civilized and classic in spirit. This could never scare anybody.

A clean, luminous vetiver, that veers to the green rather than the earthy, is the core of this fragance. Opening with lemon and bergamot, this is not an extremely bright one: the sun beams are diffused by a thin white fog, since it is not too cold nor warm. Grey Vetiver is tepid, fresh and foamy.

The herbal, citrusy opening is very pleasant, but is the heart and evolution of the perfume what i find so wonderful. There is a salty aspect in Grey Vetiver, that makes me think more in dolphins and other cetaceans´skin grayness rather than the color of a gentleman´s tailor-made suit. Probably the amber listed is no other than ambergris. Actually, this lukewarm saltiness is similar to Hermes´Eau des merveilles (based on ambergris) and probably even more to the also vetiver-based Sel Marin by Heeley. A residual hesperidic nuance enlightens, and a balmy touch of tonka sweetens, the cool, silver vetiver. Buttery orris gives a thick, smooth powderiness. Grey Vetiver is sublte and elegant sea escapade for everyday. Would love to own a bottle!
5.0 2.5 5.0 6.0/10

Drseid
A Modernized Guerlain's Vetiver That Is Completely Unexciting...
I agree with the previous comments about this being a more modern take on Guerlain's Vetiver. That can be either a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you feel about that scent. In my case, I don't care much for it and the same goes for Grey Vetiver as well.

Grey Vetiver is super fresh and inoffensive. It has subtle citrus and mild aromatics that seem to stand out more than the vetiver that is supposed to be the featured ingredient (not that any of the ingredients really stand out much). All of it is extremely well blended, modern and very polished and refined. That said, the vetiver lacks any character and is missing the raw nature that I enjoy in the best vetiver scents. I view this as a vetiver for people who dislike vetiver scents as a general rule. Most vetiver scent lovers will want something with more distinction, IMO. For others and folks looking for a "blend in" office scent, you could do worse than this one. 2.5 to 3 stars out of 5.

Vetiver! what should I say
If you love Vetiver by Guerlain but feel it is dry or sharp Vetiver, so you have to try this one. I believe you would love it, if you normally love Vetiver smell with a hint of Citruses.

KingPin 150 days ago
When I tried it my daughter immediately said “smells like carrots”, and I agree. Don’t like the iris in it, the rest is ok.+1
5.5
Carlitos01 8 months ago
I hoped it to be more performant. Nevertheless it's a good Vetiver au pair with the Guerlain duo and the Carven star although a bit fresher.+4
JoaoMartins 15 months ago
One of the most easy to wear office fragrances.+1
StarA1 22 months ago
This fragrance always reminds me of ... dry tree leaves falling from trees in autumn+1

by Scottie
by Scottie
by ChopIsland
by ChopIsland
by Mustang69
Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum)
by Huxley
by Cezar
by Cezar
Der Alltagsduft - ist ein Spezialist im Büro und Alleskönner tagsüber

Popular Tom Ford

Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Black Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Neroli Portofino (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) by Tom Ford Velvet Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford For Men (Eau de Toilette) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford White Patchouli by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Soleil Blanc (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Violet Blonde by Tom Ford Italian Cypress by Tom Ford