Mandarino di Amalfi (2014) Eau de Parfum

Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford

Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for women and men and was released in 2014. The scent is fresh-citrusy. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Calice Becker

Top Notes Top NotesTarragon, Spearmint, Blackcurrant, Bergamot, Grapefruit, Lemon, Basil
Heart Notes Heart NotesBlack pepper, Coriander seed, Orange blossom, Clary sage, Jasmine, Shiso leaf
Base Notes Base NotesVetiver, Amber, Labdanum, Musk, Civet

Submitted by Freeestyler, last update on 16.07.2019

7.0 6.0 5.5/10

MossGreen
Citrus synthetics in a tailor-made suit?
Rarely have I been so disappointed by a fragrance, which in this case is probably only to blame for the high expectations.

I had been looking forward to a herb-edged basket full of fresh, juicy citrus fruits in the resinous glow of a coastal sunset...
At least on a gentle hint of what here, judging by the comments, some seem to perceive in this scent.

What struck me after the first sprayer, however, was a tangy, artificially sweet lemon aroma thunderstorm, through whose cloud walls a few small mandarins glanced shyly, only to hide again quickly, so as not to be overrun by the sugared grapefruit, which is now thundering its way.

Unfortunately the scent on my skin hardly changes anymore and the only thing that distinguishes it from my glass cleaner is that it doesn't emit a slightly ambergrisent basic tone from time to time and costs a fraction.

I don't understand why this fragrance doesn't appeal to me at all. Meanwhile I have become very fond of spices and I also like the smell of citrus fruits.
Only it stings and bites in perfumes always terribly and shows itself to me often sterile and synthetically flat.
I had hoped to find something authentic here, but instead I was shocked to find parallels to "Green Tea intense".

It seems to me as if an attempt had been made here to combine a flat citrus cologne with noble resin and adult vetiver to forcibly transform it into an expensive summer suit scent, which definitely went wrong for my nose.
These "fruits" feel much better in the cheap fumble.
But for the majority of commentators it is probably a coherent concept.

Well, my search goes on.

9.0 5.0 6.0 9.0/10

Finest Summer Citrus Decadence
Mandarino di Amalfi starts with a wonderfully authentic citrus note and smells as if an almost overripe mandarin had just been picked fresh from the tree and opened directly on the Amalfi coast. The citrus fragrance is above all very fruity and not as sharp-biting as other fragrances. In the further course of the fragrance further citrus notes are added, in addition fresh herbs can be perceived, which give the fragrance an almost minty character. In addition, there is a slightly woody, but above all soapy and unbelievably noble base note, which emerges stronger and stronger as the fragrance progresses.

For me Mandarino di Amalfi is the perfect fragrance for the slightly decadent summer holiday on the Italian coast and conjures up every time a hermetic picture of citrus fruit trees and green outside small villages directly on the blue coast of Italy into my head. And what more could you want from a summer scent?

The price is of course Tom Ford-typically cheeky and you will certainly find alternatives that are similarly good for less money - but that is probably also a bit decadent. The shelf life is certainly not outstanding, but acceptable for a citrus-heavy fragrance and for me personally even quite good. Especially on clothes the scent lasts a day and longer. And in the summer vacation Nachsprühen for refreshment is also not wrong... Which brings us back to decadence with the price ;-)

All in all for me a beautiful, incredibly noble summer scent for man and woman with the corresponding willingness to pay.
9.0 7.0 7.0 8.5/10

Twisted
I just sprayed him on it,
it was not blown away by the wind,
he's lying around his neck,
Mandarin splattered like a saw,
i've never seen anything like it before as if the earth had shaken,
Fruits have lived long,
The user profumorist turned me on,
in exchange for a package,
DHL really excited me,
but that's just what he understands,
The scent revived me,
and didn't feel stuck at all,
works on me so fine groomed,
it consists of many parts,
Smell out rather inconcrete,
as fresh and fruity as it melts,
Fruit and cabbage very well woven,
that's what the scent betrays,
And even if the wind turns,
the scent stays there and he cares,
and it melts so nicely in your nose,
Never feel like I'm ever gonna live with it,
because there's a pick-me-up here,
When in the morning the hen crows,
the scent kills them directly with it,
After 4-5 hours, he's cool,
The scent then slowly goes down,
A freshness that really moves me,
from testing that's proven here,
I like to wear it all excited,
because he's very uplifting,
He's like a magnet to me,
a beautiful one on the planet,
gets along great with summer,
he's settled in now,
it's never too late for a scent like that,
the bottling is well taken care of,
i'm not one to resist him,
more like one who admits to himself,
i know this was weird.
9.0 6.0 7.0 8.5/10

Elegance, straightforwardness or simply
Tom Ford's summer collections. I often quarrel with Tom, but the blue and green bottles are almost always really good. Good - not because they're so special. Good, because they convey values that I personally value. Here, well-known and well-tried characteristics meet, which distinguish the gentleman. Elegance, style, straightforwardness and self-confidence.

I have seen Sunday in bad condition - the evening before it was the one or other glass of wine too much - a series of films. Including Murder Mystery with Luke Evans. He embodies a billionaire's nephew. I particularly noticed his unbelievably elegant yet stylish clothes. Paired with a huge yacht and sailing across the sea to Monaco as well as the blazing sun and the crystal clear sky I immediately had to think of MdA...

When the wind - a light wave of lemon, grapefruit and green mint - touches my face, when I eat orange and feel the sun in my face completely relaxed, then I know that I will soon be on my summer holiday. Or maybe stand on a yacht and smell Mandarino di Amalfi rieche in a loose shirt, light chinese trousers, brown businessstreakers.

Tom, you don't do much new stuff, but what you can do, you can do perfectly! For that you have my respect!
7.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

Tom's Freshness Center
Dear Tom Ford has not only made a name for himself as a fashion designer, scriptwriter and film director, but has also constantly brought out scents in recent years. If I would have to summarize these smells in their entirety under a term, then I would think of it here most "pompously".
My first exposure by Tom (inadvertent allusion) was through Oud Wood, which was one of my main perfumes for all time. This was before my registration here when I thought that two perfumes would be quite sufficient. Meanwhile I know that flacons are capable of cell division and can multiply in no time at all.
At some point, a bottle of Ombré Leather from Ford was added, which did not book the title "lightness" for itself either. But this was all still in the cold season 2018.

In the meantime, I've come to the funnel that I feel most at home in the freshness store and that fresh scents usually hit my olfactory nerve the hardest in a positive sense. Since I was still attracted to Tom as a brand, I rummaged in his freshness department and see there, there are so many things that can be kept in the freshies warehouse by smell description.
I ordered a sample of Mandarino di Amalfi (recommended as a "freshness bomb" by my dear Schoork) and found it great right away. After that I took part in a sharing and could only confirm my impression.

Even though the mandarin itself is not one of my favourite fruits, let alone my favourite smells, it is so well captured in Mandarino di Amalfi that you want to bite your wrist. I'm not starting to dream of reproducing any landscapes now, but can simply say that MdA is an unparalleled good mood scent. A kind of prescription-free mood brightener, which I can imagine well in the wet and cold autumn, when you need some sun for your nose.
Portable to all everyday occasions, absolutely sociable and little polarizing, but still not boring!
Some here criticize the non-existent development of the fragrance. That's true, the scent remains pretty much the same, although I find that you perceive the musk sometimes stronger and sometimes weaker. But a fragrance that smells special creamy from the beginning doesn't have to change for my taste to be good. As a counterexample I will mention Dior AHEB. I wouldn't like it so much if it didn't develop, because the initially obtrusive candied orange peel doesn't flatter my nostrils.

In summary, Tom Fords Mandarino di Amalfi is certainly not unique on the citric fragrance market, but it is of high quality, consistent throughout the fragrance process, with a slightly above-average shelf life in freshness. For me my next or next but one purchase candidate, or I just have to wait for the next cell division in my shelf :-)

Thanks for reading.
6.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

FFL
Holidays in the Maldives...
... is not affordable for me right now. So far it had only been enough for Mallorca. Should it ever work out with the Maldives, of course a luxury summer scent has to be included, which then replaces my Aqua, the Gio and my Sun Men. But let's start over...
The scents of Tom Ford are not bad, according to widespread opinion, but also not cheap. From a citric summer scent, which is applied due to a relative volatility at least 2 times, better 3 times a day, one expects then naturally a high quality - if one lets evaporate already one millilitre after the other in the sun. Mandarino di Amalfi lives up to this claim.

The "mandarin", which is actually grapefruit, bergamot and lemon according to the pyramid, is citrus-fresh, so that one immediately thinks of clear sea water, palms and cocktails. But I would like to illuminate another main theme of this fragrance: Soap! Musk and orange blossom give you the feeling of not only wearing a clean fragrance, but a hygienically pure fragrance. And this note sets the perfume apart for me from the citrus competition. Showers, mandarin soap and off to the sun!

Unfortunately I can't filter out the other notes, but I'm sure that every essence contributes its part to the overall impression. Durability and Sillage are average. Unfortunately I always found the sharp-edged bottles with plastic lids from Ford a bit ugly.

The only thing that stands in the way of an even better assessment: In the first 10 minutes the described soap is still a little too stinging. As soon as this wax-like opening, which is reminiscent of soap in its original form, a kind of household cleaner, is put in place, it gets better. So, Malle, hasta luego!
9.0 3.0 5.0 9.0/10

Fresh warmth
Fresh citric notes aren't my favorite. I expected something fierce, comparable to 4711. It wasn't like that at all, it was a pleasant surprise!
In the beginning orange/mandarin stands out. Later it moves more into the background and always floats along as a fruity aroma. The freshness is not as dominant as feared, rather discreet but present. After some time everything mixes with each other to a soft warm fresh fruity note and accompanies reservedly over the day
8.0 3.0 3.0 10.0/10

Hello! I have a package for you - oranges and mandarins from Valencia
I peel mandarins and oranges. They splash, taste sweet and are totally delicious. That's great. Unfortunately, after less than an hour, they're all gone. Too bad. I could eat more of these
9.0 7.0 7.0 9.0/10

Enlightened prejudices
Prejudices, stereotypes, blanket attributions are usually considered devilish stuff. Anyone who is only a little interested in being regarded as sophisticated will stand up and say: "Modern art is basically nonsense" or "All Asians are deceitful"?

I think it's better to be more relaxed, though. We're all prejudiced anyway. There's nothing you can do about it, it's how the human mind works. I got some, too. Sure. I even find them quite practical: they subdivide the over-complex world a little, so that you first have a useful rough orientation. From there you can find your way around in detail. No one can have a precise, well-balanced opinion within seconds on every political, moral, aesthetic and other individual question.

In order to avoid prejudices, however, three warnings should be observed: First: One should only allow such prejudices which have at least a core of truth. If the prejudice is completely off track, it does not provide a suitable rough orientation and can cause damage. Secondly, you should be aware that you have prejudices. If you think your prejudices are the finished truth, it becomes very dangerous. Thirdly, it follows that one must always be prepared to correct one's prejudices on a case-by-case basis. If the truth always fits the prejudice, then the prejudice is not particularly good, but I have become mentally lazy.

Such fragrance prejudices help me to find my way in the world of almost 150,000 perfumes (according to Parfumo's list by now:), especially by declaring a few brands to be "overrated, overpriced, snobbish" (and a few other cuddly favorite brands). I risk overlooking a good creed or considering a mediocre Guerlain to be good, but I accept that. For me, Tom Ford is one of the brands that I first put forward with a negative prejudice. I don't like them - beat me for it.

But this fragrance here is for me the reassuring proof that I am not yet totally calcified in my prejudice, because it is so good that I cannot deny him my unlimited respect. I was already quite enraptured at the first test, and now, thanks to a generous and surprising gift-test of a nice perfume, I was able to try it extensively for the second time.

What can I say, he has already been described here several times in the best way, and I had already contributed a statement: Fine, juicy and yet tender, sparkling and sparkling, magically balanced tangerine citric, interspersed with sometimes green-spicy, sometimes blue-aquatic, sometimes white-salty-mineral fresh notes; very cheerful and friendly, but never trivial or flat. A Hesperide with so much style and so clear character!

In addition for a summer fragrance a decent durability: After three hours still with some reach into the room to feel, after seven hours still very gently close. There's nothing to remember about that.

If it had been an Urban Scents, a Guerlain, a Harry Lehmann or a Pierre Guillaume, I would have given the 10. But there's that bad prejudice again, that doesn't grant Tom the top ranking.... What a thing!
7.0 5.0 8.0 9.0/10

Turbobean
Citrus fruits by the sea.
Two sprayers on my neck. I close my eyes and stand at a beach bar. The bartender prepares for his evening guests. He polished the glasses, filled up the supplies, chopped the ice, put cutlery in place and now he cuts a whole basket full of ripe citrus fruits into small, bite-sized pieces.

Here, where the sea penetrates the land in small creeks, it smells of seawater heated by the sun, salt, algae and life.

The aroma of juicy oranges and mandarins blends with the scent of sunlit seawater. Captured in an azure bottle. Relaxed lightness of being. Power and quality as a matter of course, completely unobtrusive. And yet full of character. Restrained like a prizefighter who knows his strength and is calm about things.

A very attractive, unpretentious and high-quality fragrance. Perhaps because of its simplicity, great perfumery. Don't do too much of a somersault. Sea and citrus. Nevertheless very valuable and certainly versatile. Maybe even on cooler days. Even has something Christmassy about it, probably because of the tangerines.

It is to *grrrrrr* that the good things are always so expensive....

Wave noise
Not Amalfi. Playa de Maro in the afternoon. The waves rebuild themselves with great force and hurl against the sand, studded with large, smooth stones. I'm not swimming today. It doesn't have to be every day. I laze on the deck chair in the shade and read Hemingway. He describes a Spain which is completely foreign to me. My Spain is slow. An ice-cold Cerveza that makes the glass sweat like the midday sun makes the tourists on the beach in Málaga. I smoke a cigarette, even though it's not the healthiest. Doesn't always have to be. It smells like the sea, sunscreen and tobacco. Shortly after, I return to my book. Wave rushes, laughter and flip-flops that traipse over the sand. With the breeze I now smell my scent. Tom Ford's Mandarino di Amalfi. It combines citrus aromas and a certain pepperiness. It starts very strong and ebbs off afterwards. Before the footpath from Nerja to Maro I sprayed it on and it gave me the strength to reach my goal through the sun in the scorching heat. And now, hours later, he's still with me. Just like me, he rests, closer to the skin, a little tired, but still as fragrant as before. The pepperiness is gone, he is not a guy who lets his muscles play and shines in the sun smeared with oil. He lies in the shade, breathes calmly and knows exactly that he has earned this breather. A three-day beard smell, one who just wants to enjoy his vacation. He doesn't have to prove anything. He smells warmer, the sun has made him sleepy, and little by little he will nod off and dozing by the sound of the waves. I will not describe the fragrance components in detail today. Doesn't always have to be.
7.0 7.0 9.5/10

Mandarino
It's summer, some breeze is helping you out with the heat, and with the breeze comes the beautiful and natural scent of lemons. You breath deeply in and out. Some leaves and green in the background.

That was a well spent afternoon with Tom Ford
7.0 7.0 6.0 10.0/10

Basti87
If only he weren't so expensive...
...I would buy it without hesitation. But of course I'm more critical that way. Tom Ford's been on my radar a long time. I find the summer scents especially interesting. Of course, what dissuades me are these moon prices at TF. With perfect fragrances, you are willing to pay the price, but you should consider carefully whether you really want this fragrance.

I ordered Mandarino di Amalfi as a small bottling, where even this was quite expensive. Since I was curious about this fragrance, I ordered this little bottling. Also the price otherwise is quite expensive. About 100 Euro for 30ml. With a big love a purchase worth, as a good alternative probably rather too expensive for "Otto-Normalverbraucher".
That bottle's really pretty. Noble and the bottle in a matching blue summer look. Nicely done and an eye-catcher for every collection. But as far as Tom Ford is concerned, everyone has style The launch is really unspectacular. Reminds me of a common citrus boredom. But after about 5 minutes a nice citric-fruity note unfolds, which lasts for a long time. Reminds me easily of Bvlgari Aqva Amara in less harsh and not aquatic. This fruity freshness reminds me of southern European flair, matching the name Amalfi. Like a holiday in Italy, authentic and natural. A soft floral note is also present. Very harmonious, radiates good mood and simply makes you want summer and sun. I can't see a big development here, but I think it's good, because I like this fruity freshness very much. What stands out about this great pyramid, I can't say. However, the fruity-citric notes are always in the foreground, as the name suggests. Just a great creation.
The Sillage is good over long distances, the durability unfortunately not worth the price, although acceptable with a few hours. Nevertheless a great choice for some leisure activities, as he is always a nice companion.

A clear buy recommendation for people who still have plenty of money for fragrances and want to make a strong new commitment before the summer. A good mood fragrance with medium durability.

KingPin 139 days ago
Can’t decide if it smells super cheap or super exclusive. Super fruity it is in any case. Not a man's scent in my humble opinion.+1
6.0
6.0
JoaoMartins 159 days ago
Would never pay more than 2€ for this one. Just grab some hot water and infuse it with some orange blossom. Cool it down. And then spray it+1
9.0

by Marimaroon
by Marimaroon
by Lelouch
by Lelouch
Almost like Neroli Portofino, although this lasts a little longer, but you can not sell these things as if they were your luxury components

Popular Tom Ford

Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Black Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme by Tom Ford Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Neroli Portofino (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Velvet Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford For Men (Eau de Toilette) by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford White Patchouli by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) by Tom Ford Soleil Blanc (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Violet Blonde by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford