Neroli Portofino 2007Eau de Parfum

Neroli Portofino (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford
Neroli Portofino (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Tom Ford for women and men and was released in 2007. The scent is fresh-citrusy. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum)

Amber, Bergamot, Mandarin orange, Orange blossom, Vanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 05.10.2020.

The faces of the advertising campaign are the models Josephine Skriver and Jamie Jewitt.

MisskMissk 8 years ago

„The way Summer should always smell”

I wasn't fully aware that I love orange blossom as a note in perfume until I stumbled upon this beautiful emerald bottle with its rather sexual...
ApiciusApicius 9 years ago

„Standard Pitch, for Hours!”

Tom Ford's exclusive line is how niche perfumery should not be. It consists basically of a monolithic marketing concept, optimized by special perceptions...
The cleaning agent at Ferrari
Fresh, citric, a little bit biting and quite dominant... But somehow also something like a cleaner.

I love the scent, some see it as the cleaning agent variant of 4711.

After 5 minutes of the first aggressive ?chlorine? The scent of an absolute daydreamer scents a scent that puts you in an Italian sports convertible of the 80s and drives you through Miami's streets with one.

The direct first sniffer, however, puts you rather in the freshly wiped visitor toilets at the same manufacturers in the museum.

Unfortunately the fun is already over after 3 hours if you don't follow up.
Expensive toilet cleaner
Okay, I admit, I'm prejudiced about Tom Ford. His suits are fantastic. Everything Mr. Ford does is fantastic. But Neroli Portofino taught me better. Frankly, I was expecting a lot. A scent that triggers head cinema. Orange trees, boiling heat, Italian villas with floor mosaics, marble, sea. The actuation of the spray head of the, admittedly, quite pretty flacon caused me and my companion unfortunately rather associations with toilet cleaner. The fragrance smells fresh. I also feel the shelf life is good. On Friday a very friendly and courteous lady in a local perfumery sprayed my left wrist generously with five or six sprays. Also on Sunday evening, after two showers, there are still traces left. But the, as I see it, extremely synthetic, biting, simply unpleasant scent is simply nothing. With the development of the fragrance, the toilet cleaner note becomes weaker, but does not disappear completely.
In summary, Neroli Portofino disappoints all along the line.
Expensive broth
What can I say about that? I'm already a big niche fan. But I also leaf the money on the table only for an exclusive, extraordinary and very good scent. This scent here is very good! Very refreshing and the interplay with the citrus notes is extremely successful. But somehow this scent is neither at the beginning, nor 4 hours later (if you still smell it) something special.
Nevertheless, it is very successful on my part, but too expensive for its rather ordinary fragrance
Money horny summer companion
The anticipation was great when my eyes discovered the Tom Ford department at Galeria Kaufhof. Immediately I went there to look around. My eyes fell on a few inconspicuous blue flacons from his Private Blend that I hadn't seen before.
Among them was Neroli Portofino. I closed my eyes and smelled my arm as I sprayed it on. I was expecting something special!

Suddenly a bright flash in the sky, a flaming meteor supports to earth!

Disappointment pure I can only say. Smells just like 4711, this slightly lemony orange freshness. The one you know from your forerunner. So he's supposed to be the famous Ford seducer. Quickly looked at 4711 and just couldn't tell the difference! After approx. 2 hours Portofino was still recognizable while 4711 had already said goodbye, 2 hours later the blue Bonzen Wässerchen was finished. Moment a difference there was nevertheless the price!

Attention to all by no means buy, you are fucked as a customer here. Ford just poured 4711 into his blue water and is now basking in our money on the Caribbean!

Expensively cheap
There’s little left to say about this fragrance, that other fragrance snobs didn’t say already. Neroli Portofino is a mildly pleasant, incredibly overpriced citrus-neroli cologne with a musky-herbal undertone and a sort of “laundry” soap feel. Just place it anywhere in the Dantesque limbo between 4711 and Acqua di Parma citrus colognes. Just to be clear, it smells decent: exceedingly dull, even a bit cheap honestly, with no rich or “natural” nuances but a rather sanitized, militarly linear designer feel, also quite faint shortly after the initial burst of citrus-herbal notes. But it’s nice, fresh, safe, “GQ advertising dude” kind of classy. And there’s really nothing more to add. The only interesting thing to add would be a group brainstorming on the reasons why should someone decide to spend that money for this instead of a dozen of drugstore neroli-soapy fragrances doing the exact same job as this with the same exact quality and outcome ( “quick money laundering” would be my best guess).

5/10

Neroli Portofino
My personal opinion is that this is probably the nicest of the Tom Ford collection. The most important thing for me is being able to "smell myself". This is why I like this so much. It lasts well and gives me a nice waft every now and then. It is expensive though.

Pure Luxury...
Neroli Portofino is Tom Ford's take on the classic eau de Cologne type of fragrance. That is, orange flower blossom, citrus, herbs and amber. This is a very simple recipe, and it's one which is available in many forms. This fragrance is just Tom Ford's take on it.

It opens up extremely fresh and soap-like. It's one thing I love about this fragrance. It smells very refined and natural. I can't fault it on smell, and if the intention was to smell luxurious then this succeeds at it.

However, even though this is an eau de parfum concentration, I still find it lacking in projection and longevity. There are issues here which become apparent the longer the fragrance wears in skin. This would not be such a problem (after all, an eau de cologne by nature is fleeting, as it has no base to hold it for an extended period of time), but for the price, this is bad. Because for the price you would pay for this, you would expect it to last at least most of your day. However I only get a maximum of 4 hours with this, and that isn't something I would pay full price for.

So to conclude, I can't fault the fact that it smells like pure luxury, however it is not an experience which lasts for the time I would want. But then, that's all what eau de colognes are about, a luxurious, satisfying experience which is only meant to refresh the wearer briefly (and they are usually an expensive luxury to begin with). For me, I can think of other alternatives. But if money is no object to you, I will admit the quality is superior to other brands, so if you can afford it, you will smell elegant and refined, just not for very long. Which is the whole idea anyway. I just expected more from a Tom Ford Private Blend (and at this price).

Fresh and Clean
I'm a fan of fresh, clean scents and Neroli Portofino, although pricey, is excellent.

It has average sillage and projection but it seems to have decent longevity at 6-8 hours. This is a very clean scent and perfect for any occasion: a night out, a wedding or business meetings. It's inoffensive, so it's safe for work.

I'd recommend it but not for the retail price. If you can trade for it or pick it up at a reasonable price on Ebay, don't pass it up.

the price question
The price discussion. I face it with all the Fords as well as many other costly perfumes. Will you pay, for example, $250 for a quality perfume when there are other comparable perfumes at a fraction of the cost? There is a market for costly perfumes, and if people are willing to spend big bucks, more power to them. So I don't forget the cost of the Ford line, but I try also to consider the perfumes independent of price. I'll admit, it's an odd little dance in my head.

Neroli Portofino is a pretty neroli cologne. "Pretty" is really tossing it a bone. It's certainly not ravishing, it's nothing new, and it doesn't seem like a particularly fine iteration of what it purports to be: a lasting, concentrated Eau de Cologne (edc) made with the finest materials to be found.

For a cologne to be successful, it must offer one of two things: faultless quality or an interesting variation. Cologne is certainly nothing new, and because of the simplicity of its componentry (search for the recipe and you'll find it easily) it's not hard to find excellent and inexpensive versions. Interesting alternative colognes are not hard to find either. Examples: CdG Vettiveru, Atelier Cologne’s Rose Anonyme and Trefle Pur, Maison Francis Kurkdjian Cologne pour le Soir.

A neroli cologne isn’t new, so Ford isn’t attempting the inventive variation. As for quality, Neroli Portofino falls a bit flat to my nose. The emphasis on bright florals, with a grounding in a sweet musk, gives a fairly two-dimensional impression of neroli. EDC is meant to be a brief, invigorating experience. Neroli Portofino abides by the former principle, but neglects the latter. Neroli Portofino misses the point that cologne’s success comes from simplicity, not refinement. Refinement looks like overbreeding when the mark is missed, and Neroli reads like the shivering, overgroomed teacup poodle of the edc set. (For a different take on a neroli cologne at 1/5 the price, try Comme des Garcons Anbar.)

The ad photos for Neroli Portofino capture what find least appealing about Ford-world. It purports to be racy and shocking. To me it reads as contrived and tired. Over-styled, sexless nudity might capture the Ford esthetic for his fans, but it just looks like those ridiculous laughy-smily Bijan ads from the 80s-90s to me.

from scent hurdle.com

A Loud Neroli Cologne is a Loud Neroli Cologne by any other name, regardless of the price...
In eighth grade, I wrote a report about Sun Myung Moon and the Unification Church, and I've been thinking about cults ever since. They arise with remarkable frequency in Western civilization, in virtually every, even the most unexpected of realms, including perfume. Just look at the excitement generated by the recent release of Tom Ford's new Private Collection fragrances. Have you seen the gleaming gold book describing these launches? It shimmers with a quasi-beatific halo of light! Is the Tom Ford fetish shared by so many consumers merely hype-generated, or is there some substance to his collection which justifies the veneration bestowed upon the man behind the label?

I'm afraid that NEROLI PORTOFINO does not help Tom Ford's cause in my skeptical mind. This is a loud neroli cologne in the very same style as 4711. True, it smells better than 4711: less sour, less dingy around the edges. But no less true is that anyone who wears this fragrance is going to elicit comments from less savvy sniffers to the effect that "Someone is wearing 4711."

Perhaps we sophisticated perfumistas should not care what hoi polloi think about our scent. Still, I cannot recommend this remarkably tenacious cologne to anyone because if you wear it, aside from your own personal enjoyment, you will get credit for wearing 4711 at the price of haute niche. I myself honestly do not believe that NEROLI PORTOFINO smells all that much better than 4711, and, in the end, we are talking about fine distinctions here, which the vast majority of noses in existence are altogether unable to make.

JulphJulph 52 days ago
Top note is so sweet (may be a little bit too sweet for my taste).
The middle note and base note are so beautiful.

8 hours long on my skin
GreMuserGreMuser 56 days ago
Great neroli fragrance, but not worth the price, since lasts as long as a cologne concentration.
KingPinKingPin 20 months ago
Great Riviera scent, like walking in a blooming orange grove. In my opinion this is a woman's scent (at least in Northern Europe)
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 2 years ago
Overpriced colonia. Worth 20€ at most
YKemYKem 2 years ago
Expensive 4711 Kölnisch Wasser Dupe :)
ScentsByKKScentsByKK 2 years ago
Overpriced
HermeshHermesh 4 years ago
Round sweetish neroli fragrance, which, however, is quite monotonous. Slight soapy undertone is disturbing in the long run.

by Fortress
by Fortress
Crikvenica
by Parfummaster
In seiner natürlichen Umgebung - in Portofino :)
by Amirdoust
by Flaconneur
by Flaconneur
by Peet
by Peet
The opposite of Noir Extreme, this is just marketing and super expensive for 15 minutes, that's precious, but stealing its price

Popular Tom Ford

Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather 16 by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Lost Cherry by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Beau de Jour (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud Intense by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Vert d'Encens by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua by Tom Ford Amber Absolute by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford White Suede (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Minérale by Tom Ford