Neroli Portofino (2007) Eau de Parfum

Neroli Portofino (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford
Neroli Portofino (Eau de Parfum) (Tom Ford)

Neroli Portofino (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Tom Ford for women and men and was released in 2007. The scent is fresh-citrusy. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Amber, Bergamot, Mandarin, Orange blossom, Vanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 21.10.2018

MisskMissk 6 years ago

„The way Summer should always smell”

ApiciusApicius 7 years ago

„Standard Pitch, for Hours!”

Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 7.0/10
Expensive broth
What can I say about that? I'm already a big niche fan. But I also leaf the money on the table only for an exclusive, extraordinary and very good scent. This scent here is very good! Very refreshing and the interplay with the citrus notes is extremely successful. But somehow this scent is neither at the beginning, nor 4 hours later (if you still smell it) something special.
Nevertheless, it is very successful on my part, but too expensive for its rather ordinary fragrance
Expensively cheap
There’s little left to say about this fragrance, that other fragrance snobs didn’t say already. Neroli Portofino is a mildly pleasant, incredibly overpriced citrus-neroli cologne with a musky-herbal undertone and a sort of “laundry” soap feel. Just place it anywhere in the Dantesque limbo between 4711 and Acqua di Parma citrus colognes. Just to be clear, it smells decent: exceedingly dull, even a bit cheap honestly, with no rich or “natural” nuances but a rather sanitized, militarly linear designer feel, also quite faint shortly after the initial burst of citrus-herbal notes. But it’s nice, fresh, safe, “GQ advertising dude” kind of classy. And there’s really nothing more to add. The only interesting thing to add would be a group brainstorming on the reasons why should someone decide to spend that money for this instead of a dozen of drugstore neroli-soapy fragrances doing the exact same job as this with the same exact quality and outcome ( “quick money laundering” would be my best guess).

5/10
Scent 7.0/10
Neroli Portofino
My personal opinion is that this is probably the nicest of the Tom Ford collection. The most important thing for me is being able to "smell myself". This is why I like this so much. It lasts well and gives me a nice waft every now and then. It is expensive though.
Bottle 2.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10
Pure Luxury...
Neroli Portofino is Tom Ford's take on the classic eau de Cologne type of fragrance. That is, orange flower blossom, citrus, herbs and amber. This is a very simple recipe, and it's one which is available in many forms. This fragrance is just Tom Ford's take on it.

It opens up extremely fresh and soap-like. It's one thing I love about this fragrance. It smells very refined and natural. I can't fault it on smell, and if the intention was to smell luxurious then this succeeds at it.

However, even though this is an eau de parfum concentration, I still find it lacking in projection and longevity. There are issues here which become apparent the longer the fragrance wears in skin. This would not be such a problem (after all, an eau de cologne by nature is fleeting, as it has no base to hold it for an extended period of time), but for the price, this is bad. Because for the price you would pay for this, you would expect it to last at least most of your day. However I only get a maximum of 4 hours with this, and that isn't something I would pay full price for.

So to conclude, I can't fault the fact that it smells like pure luxury, however it is not an experience which lasts for the time I would want. But then, that's all what eau de colognes are about, a luxurious, satisfying experience which is only meant to refresh the wearer briefly (and they are usually an expensive luxury to begin with). For me, I can think of other alternatives. But if money is no object to you, I will admit the quality is superior to other brands, so if you can afford it, you will smell elegant and refined, just not for very long. Which is the whole idea anyway. I just expected more from a Tom Ford Private Blend (and at this price).
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 7.5/10
Fresh and Clean
I'm a fan of fresh, clean scents and Neroli Portofino, although pricey, is excellent.

It has average sillage and projection but it seems to have decent longevity at 6-8 hours. This is a very clean scent and perfect for any occasion: a night out, a wedding or business meetings. It's inoffensive, so it's safe for work.

I'd recommend it but not for the retail price. If you can trade for it or pick it up at a reasonable price on Ebay, don't pass it up.
jtd
the price question
The price discussion. I face it with all the Fords as well as many other costly perfumes. Will you pay, for example, $250 for a quality perfume when there are other comparable perfumes at a fraction of the cost? There is a market for costly perfumes, and if people are willing to spend big bucks, more power to them. So I don't forget the cost of the Ford line, but I try also to consider the perfumes independent of price. I'll admit, it's an odd little dance in my head.

Neroli Portofino is a pretty neroli cologne. "Pretty" is really tossing it a bone. It's certainly not ravishing, it's nothing new, and it doesn't seem like a particularly fine iteration of what it purports to be: a lasting, concentrated Eau de Cologne (edc) made with the finest materials to be found.

For a cologne to be successful, it must offer one of two things: faultless quality or an interesting variation. Cologne is certainly nothing new, and because of the simplicity of its componentry (search for the recipe and you'll find it easily) it's not hard to find excellent and inexpensive versions. Interesting alternative colognes are not hard to find either. Examples: CdG Vettiveru, Atelier Cologne’s Rose Anonyme and Trefle Pur, Maison Francis Kurkdjian Cologne pour le Soir.

A neroli cologne isn’t new, so Ford isn’t attempting the inventive variation. As for quality, Neroli Portofino falls a bit flat to my nose. The emphasis on bright florals, with a grounding in a sweet musk, gives a fairly two-dimensional impression of neroli. EDC is meant to be a brief, invigorating experience. Neroli Portofino abides by the former principle, but neglects the latter. Neroli Portofino misses the point that cologne’s success comes from simplicity, not refinement. Refinement looks like overbreeding when the mark is missed, and Neroli reads like the shivering, overgroomed teacup poodle of the edc set. (For a different take on a neroli cologne at 1/5 the price, try Comme des Garcons Anbar.)

The ad photos for Neroli Portofino capture what find least appealing about Ford-world. It purports to be racy and shocking. To me it reads as contrived and tired. Over-styled, sexless nudity might capture the Ford esthetic for his fans, but it just looks like those ridiculous laughy-smily Bijan ads from the 80s-90s to me.

from scent hurdle.com
Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 4.0/10
A Loud Neroli Cologne is a Loud Neroli Cologne by any other name, regardless of the price...
In eighth grade, I wrote a report about Sun Myung Moon and the Unification Church, and I've been thinking about cults ever since. They arise with remarkable frequency in Western civilization, in virtually every, even the most unexpected of realms, including perfume. Just look at the excitement generated by the recent release of Tom Ford's new Private Collection fragrances. Have you seen the gleaming gold book describing these launches? It shimmers with a quasi-beatific halo of light! Is the Tom Ford fetish shared by so many consumers merely hype-generated, or is there some substance to his collection which justifies the veneration bestowed upon the man behind the label?

I'm afraid that NEROLI PORTOFINO does not help Tom Ford's cause in my skeptical mind. This is a loud neroli cologne in the very same style as 4711. True, it smells better than 4711: less sour, less dingy around the edges. But no less true is that anyone who wears this fragrance is going to elicit comments from less savvy sniffers to the effect that "Someone is wearing 4711."

Perhaps we sophisticated perfumistas should not care what hoi polloi think about our scent. Still, I cannot recommend this remarkably tenacious cologne to anyone because if you wear it, aside from your own personal enjoyment, you will get credit for wearing 4711 at the price of haute niche. I myself honestly do not believe that NEROLI PORTOFINO smells all that much better than 4711, and, in the end, we are talking about fine distinctions here, which the vast majority of noses in existence are altogether unable to make.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 8.0/10
The way Summer should always smell
I wasn't fully aware that I love orange blossom as a note in perfume until I stumbled upon this beautiful emerald bottle with its rather sexual ad campaign.

In fact, contrary to what everyone's been saying, I would definitely wear this to arouse my loved one, no doubt about it. Neroli Portofino may smell summery and clean, but there's something about it that puts a smile on my dial, makes my eyes roll back in my head and feel like a goddess both inside and out.

Yes, Neroli Portofino smells like soap, but an expensive bar of luxury soap. I get a massive load of orange blossom in this fragrance complimented with a sweet and citrusy-green bergamot accord. To be honest, I find this fragrance sweet and feminine on my skin. I'm surprised that this is a unisex fragrance, however it may smell very different on a man's skin.

Everyone's saying that Neroli Portofino is just an overpriced Acqua di Parma cologne. Really? I've smelt almost the whole range and I can't say that I found any of them as appealing as this. Colonia is a smooth, crisp lemon scent to my nose, no orange blossoms there I'm afraid.

Give this fragrance to me wrapped in a big, white ribbon and I'll happily wear Neroli Portofino as my Summer signature. Even better, the longevity is superb, nothing like those Summer colognes that my skin enjoys eating until there's nothing left. I highly recommend.
Scent 3.0/10
Unjustifiably pretentious!
I have a problem with Tom Ford's Private Blend Collection ... 90% of it is pure bilge! Smoke and mirrors ... there are perhaps two that I would consider owning (I've diligently tried all of them)... and then only if they were on major markdown.
Neroli Portofino has to rank as one of the biggest ripoffs in perfume history. I buy litre bottles of Eau de Cologne to add to my bedding laundry for less than $10 a pop ... even that has better projection and longevity, and SMELLS better too! Pretty bottles and creative marketing do not a great fragrance make, and in this case they don't even make a good one!
This is a less than mediocre sub par attempt at a classic cologne ... with a whopping price tag!
Amber? Where? Vanilla? I beg to differ. Cheap orange blossom with a touch of Bergamot and a huge dollop of Iso E Super (to my nose at least) ... c'mon!! With any luck this nasty phenomenon that has the cheek to include itself within the revered halls of niche perfumery will just go away.
On the other hand, I'll never be spending any of my money on it :) ... so I'll just ignore it 'til it disappears.
Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 2.0/10
Nice but not worth $290
Neroli Portofino is one of the main problems that I have with Tom Ford's Private Blend Collection. Whilst many of the scents within the collection smell expensive and interesting- Neroli Portofino comes up smelling quite childish almost, it has a distinct freshness to it that will absolutley appeal to many people but it just doesn't justify its ridiculous price tag.

Neroli and Bergamot dominate this fragrance, they offer a very strong- very potent citrus, fruity smell that borders on being annoying. Add to this a very staunch and synthetic smelling mandarin which sort of takes the fragrance into very cheap smelling territory where the fragrance takes on a deodorant like consistency which frustrates me because its evident, already that this fragrance is not worth the price.

I won't go into to much detail about this fragrance because it is very basic. Its a Synthetic Neroli explosion which just does not do the job that an Eau De Parfum should. It lacks in depth, originallity and quality. All things which Tom Ford normally likes to associate himself with. Neroli Portofino is just another example of laziness at a very high price.

To its credit, the lasting power is fantastic, but its composition is just awful, its not the kind of scent i'd want to smell all day long. After 20 minutes I hopped into the shower and scrubbed this off my body.
Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 2.0/10
Standard Pitch, for Hours!
Tom Ford's exclusive line is how niche perfumery should not be. It consists basically of a monolithic marketing concept, optimized by special perceptions of sales psychology. The outcome is a fancy scent bar with numerous, quickly developed perfumes.

In the past, the real maîtres among the perfumers allowed themselves years and years of development before they finally decided to release a scent to the public – but at Tom Ford, they simply buy what is quickly available for money. All perfumes of Tom Ford's exclusive line that I have come across so far are optimized for quick sale: the customer is presented a spectacular head note, but with not much behind it.

Just like this is Neroli Portofino: the start is overwhelmingly good – one is pleased with so much delicacy and refinement. Airiness, freshness, but also considerable orange-y volume mingle together in perfect balance. Any possible customer can easily see the difference between Neroli Portofino and a Neroli-cheapie like 4711.

However, a slight glance on the packaging should make you suspicious: A neroli scent, labeled as “Eau de Parfum“? Usually, neroli is not very enduring. As a flowery, citric note, it is mainly being used as top- or maybe heart note in many traditional colognes. After this short period, it fades away. And for this reason, neroli is the center of many simple, short-living Colognes – such as Guerlains' Eau du Coq, a true gem. But since a few years, we sometimes find neroli notes with monstrous life period. Examples are Colonia Essenza by Acqua di Parma and the number 201 from Micallef's Art Collection line. Did they find means to fix neroli? Or is it some chemical replacement of natural neroli oil? I suppose the worst since I came across this neroli type of scent blown into the air by a room freshener machine.

Basically, Mandy Aftel writes in her book about the advantage of natural perfume oil that the batches all slightly differ from each other, since the oils are never completely pure. On the other hand synthetizised scents smell like „dead“. You may put this aside as the thoughts of an esoteric natural perfumer – but as far as neroli is concerned, I can very well follow these thoughts. To me, Neroli Portofino is just as dead as the central cemetry of my home town. Once the interesting top note has settled there is only sweet and sticky kind of neroli with maybe some amber.

This is so solid, it does not move an inch! And it never leaves you alone, just like unwelcome relatives. I can only describe this as an olfactory tinnitus!

With Neroli porofino, you seriously peril your sensitivity for scent. It is just the attraction of neroli that it is fleeting. One should never even consider holding it! Whoever wears Neroli Portofino in a certain period of time will surely develop an averseness against it. So, this is also another way to put off customers.
The marketing concept of Tom Ford is just as sustaining as the deforestation of the amazonas region. At the Tom Ford scent bar, customers' interest is being exploited, not aroused. They will not return to the perfume shop for good.

YKem 170 days ago
Sillage 4.0
Longevity 2.0
Scent 4.0
Hermesh 2 years ago
Round sweetish neroli fragrance, which, however, is quite monotonous. Slight soapy undertone is disturbing in the long run.+1
Bottle 7.5

• by Sumi by Sumi
  • by Amirdoust by Amirdoust
  • when in Portofino.... by Sumi
  • by Parfummaster by Parfummaster
  • ....und Tom ging zum Regenbogen. Und als er zurück kam, duftete die Welt für einen kurzen Moment nach diesem Duft... by Flacon
  • by Sumi by Sumi
  • by Miaw2 by Miaw2
  • by Flaconneur by Flaconneur
  • by Peet by Peet
  • by Carlossp by Carlossp
  • The opposite of Noir Extreme, this is just marketing and super expensive for 15 minutes, that's precious, but stealing its price by Carlossp
  • by Carlossp by Carlossp

Popular Tom Ford

Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Black Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme by Tom Ford Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Velvet Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford For Men (Eau de Toilette) by Tom Ford Neroli Portofino (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford White Patchouli by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Violet Blonde by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Italian Cypress by Tom Ford Extreme (Eau de Toilette) by Tom Ford Soleil Blanc (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford