Noir Anthracite 2017

Noir Anthracite by Tom Ford
Noir Anthracite is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for men and was released in 2017. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It was last marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies. Pronunciation

Honorine Blanc

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Sichuan pepper, Ginger
Heart Notes Heart NotesTuberose, Jasmine sambac, Galbanum
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Cedarwood, Macassar wood, Ceylonese sandalwood

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 08.01.2021.

The faces of the advertising campaign are models Jon Kortajarena and Yasmin Wijnaldum.

Harrock
A fragrance for Jay Gatsby ? Dark, mysterious and unique...
I'm already longer on the search for a fragrance that Jay Gatsby would wear Jay Gatsby known from Fitzgeralds "The Great Gatsby" is mysterious, everyone knows him but hardly anyone has really met him, sometimes he seems like a king with his castle, then again like a rumor a fog you can not grasp ... He organizes big parties and then blends into the crowd like a shadow. He radiates power and success, but inside he's delicate and fragile... plagued by depression, by dreams that never come true despite, or perhaps because of, all his money. I think Jay Gatsby would wear noir anthracite and it would suit him...

But now to the fragrance .
Noir Anthracite can not be compared with the other Noir fragrances, generally the Noir fragrances are all relatively different.
One can, at least I find that, anthracite but also generally difficult to compare with any other fragrance. There is no other fragrance that smells like this and that makes it so unique.
Noir Anthracite smells like wet concrete with floral notes and some ash from a burnt campfire. This fragrance is relatively difficult to describe ...
I'll get out now something to describe it to you better.
Do you know world of Warcraft ? If so then try to remember Azshara, this bay in the north-east of Kalimdor directly under Winterspring and above Durotar ...
Do you have the picture in your head ? If not or if you don't know world of warcraft in general i'll try to describe it...
In Azshara there is a beach and in the beach and lie everywhere ruins of ancient temples around, if you stand on the water you can look over to a larger temple that is something in the sea so the bay in it and is connected with a ramp / jetty with the beach. Now imagine you are in such a deserted temple and this temple is several hundred years old. It is cracked and water is coming in. It smells like wet rock... basically like a street after a rainstorm. Now there is a floral note, which I personally perceive quite well, so imagine that there is a plant growing in this temple. It winds its way through the masonry up through the broken roof and out again and this plant has blossoms which let a slight floral note flow into this temple. In the end, the smell of a campfire blows in from outside, burnt wood. Not cigarette ash but wood ash... if you have the picture in your head and can imagine these smells, then you get a good picture of Noir Anthracite. Damp streets, concrete with a floral and at the end a smoky note. I have never smelled anything like it...

To the performance.
It is a Tom Ford fragrance. The quality is usual very high and the durability is definitely ok, no beast but 5-7 hours are definitely in it. The Silage should not be ignored I myself take the scent Even after many hours around me was . The fragrance is just so different that it always stands out And difficult to disappear in the background ... expect no Aventus or Sauvage but one takes him definitely war !

What can I say in conclusion to this ?
As long as there is still to buy ... BUY IT ! Because according to my information, the no longer manufactured ... maybe he was too diverse and he could never keep up with the other Noir fragrances. I always find 50 or 100ml bottles online but that will be less in the future ... i don't understand how Oud Wood (which I personally think sucks) is hyped to death and something so brilliant is forgotten ? I just hope that Tom Ford realizes that people still buy it and resumes production ... on the other hand... Leave it alone, who wants to smell of concrete, wet road and ashes ? Don't buy it! Then remains more for me ...
Unruh
Turned too soon in time travel....
I think, the conscious olfactory socialization, speak the "calibration" on preferred fragrances, happens with many in adolescence. Girls become interesting, the first intoxication, boundaries and freedoms are explored, and because of firsts, it is tried to underline the still unpolished own personality with fragrances.
... then something has probably gone wrong with me. My youth took place in the 1990s, with the many fresh, aquatic, sweetish, increasingly unisex-aligned perfumes of this decade, however, I can do almost nothing. I'm more comfortable with tart, dark green, "classic" scents - oakmoss, galbanum, patchouli, herbs; perfumes of the 1960s to 1980s with rough edges.

Tom Ford's "Noir Anthracite" does a lot right in this regard.
The fragrance starts peppery and minimally spicy, with subtle citrus sprinkles. Underneath is already clearly wonderful herb-green galbanum. Galbanum determines then also for the next few hours the further course of the fragrance, supplemented by dark floral notes and pepper remnants, a little smoky it's also. Much development is not offered until the base, a wonderful sandalwood patchouli melange.

"Noir Anthracite" is for me a clear reminiscence of classic men's fragrances of past decades. I have long puzzled why Tom Ford does not convince me 100% here. The fragrance leaves but extensively trodden sweet or fresh fragrance paths of recent years, so to speak, "back to the roots"? The solution: "Noir Anthracite" is too smooth, too well-designed. The above-mentioned classic men's fragrances - "Polo", "Bogart", "One Man Show", "Yatagan" times as examples - start with a wild potpourri, the individual fragrance notes must first pluck a few minutes until the fragrance becomes a fine experience. This sometimes cacophonous superstructure is missing from "Noir Anthracite", making it a bit boring. One knows directly from the beginning, where the olfactory journey goes.

A fine fragrance, no question. But sufficiently good for my collection? I am still undecided...

Fifty shades of grey...
No... Absolutely not! With great certainty every perfume or perfuma reading here is now inclined to think of a relevant film title. But unfortunately this is not going to happen, or should I better say thank god? That lies, as so often, in the eye of the beholder I chose this apt title because in my eyes Anthracite presents exactly these very diverse shades of grey. For quite a while now I have been accompanied by this intense and very expressive Tom Ford, so I would like to dedicate a few more lines to him, here with this comment Noir Anthracite starts off by taking distance and going on distance. Many of these grey facets and gloomy sprinklers show up in the opening phase. The precise and skilful use of Szechuan pepper and tuberose creates impressions of a cool matted veil, which lays on the skin with a certain acidity, sharpness and bitterness. As if he were to say: Here I am, and I won't go so fast anymore! Now they to how you get along with me ...
I actually mean this "getting by" thing. In my opinion Noir Anthracite has a very strong emotional cascading component. Because of this latent melancholic start I have had days where I almost regretted applying it. Because if your own emotional state is not equal to "the sun is shining out of the...", the fragrance can even support this state in a negative way.
For a long time I did not know myself whether I should call this phenomenon good or bad. But now I see it more clearly. Because the concept of the fragrance has been implemented with great consistency. This is praiseworthy and impeccable in every respect. I as the wearer must decide whether I am in the appropriate mode However, the fragrance fits perfectly to the current season, autumn. Noir Anthracite is simply predestined to be worn now, in autumn. As soon as a, let's say, certain groove with the veil of scent is established, Noir works just great. The fragrance gets its magnificence from its inherent ambivalence - its contradictoriness! Paradoxically, after a certain time, pretty much exactly when the dark precious woods take over, the whole fragrance spectrum is turned upside down. Suddenly there is a lot of warmth and security. Soft and gentle nuances take away the cold and sharp edges from the initially hard construction, which made the fragrance almost unlovable at the beginning.
Classic, elegant and perfectly staged scented woods transform the cool veil into a warming coat. The result is a cuddly companion for almost the entire day. Because it is also characterised by a certain indestructibility. Several hours of durability are no problem. Therefore, the dosage should be chosen with care, so as not to let the sillage and projection get out of hand.
In its entirety Noir Anthracite is exactly what it wants to be or should be. Surely not for everyone suitable, in his way special, but for me absolutely authentic and convincing, unapproachably cool and cuddly warm, rejectingly strange and attractively familiar...

happiness is not in doing what I want, it's in wanting to do what I do!
Thank you for reading...

Note: I don't know the movie at all... :-))
Schallhoerer
Right on the 12 with the log. "Make way, I'm the bailiff!"
Don't spill it. Make a big splash Noir Anthracite takes off directly and takes no prisoners. It's supposed to be masculine? You've come to the right place. Just a nice handful of pepper right in the face. Sneeze here and you lose. Next, please. You weren't tough enough. This is where the proverbial wheat separates from the chaff. This is where someone wants to test the boundaries of good taste. The pepper's not enough? Here, take this. The ginger adds a touch of spice. The slightest hint of citrus in the form of bergamot serves as a counterbalance.

Noir Anthracite would have brought tears to many eyes in the 80s. For several reasons.
I'd cross the street if one of those guys came up to me. The guy's looking for trouble and he's beaming it. One wrong look, five from the sleeve box. Cheek hurts. Just walk across the street when you're old.

In the Drydown whole forests are added. The beating continues. Keep the whole log on the twelve. Bud Spencer would have loved the smell
Elbwalker
top, absolutely the best I have tried in a long time
my first comment here.
I am simply convinced. Absolutely the best thing I've tried lately.
I cannot describe it how much more different but follow my personal taste.
The grey wall
Well, I'm actually more at war with the scents of Tom Ford. The good man (because he is not a bad film director) has a different olfactory taste than me. Somehow I admire the guy for his diversity and still don't get warm with his water. Can happen, of course! With "Noir Anthracite" it's a little different now. Finally times a "Tom", which I would put on without hesitation, although also this EDT me not directly from the socks hut. But there's something about it that I don't have to be afraid of when I put it on ... ;-)

This roughness and grey, which smells a bit like car tyre abrasion (it should be mainly due to Patchouli and Galbanum), is usually not my thing. Of course, the pepper goes quite well with it. In this respect "Noir Anthracite" is very consistent in its statement and also absolutely authentic. IOch welcomes it when brand names and advertising promises give a hint of what a fragrance actually hides.

So here we have a grey wall. The loamy mortar is omnipresent, but does not necessarily have to spring from the big city, but can also be part of an ancient wall. Life and time have left their mark here. A citric herb grows out of the wall. A truck just passed by. It rained last night. Next door they're sawing wood.

All this can be located in this fragrance if you have enough imagination. He never gets pushy about it. Pepper and patchouli determine "Noir Anthracite", whereby I like the former very much and the latter only conditionally. But just like in real life, the right mixture and balance are important, and this is given for me here. The first Tom Ford I can trust because he has something familiar. Not super beautiful, but exciting, not an irresistible seducer, but a befitting companion.
Norleans
Has anyone seen my cilia?
So...boah...what's...nä...hui... Hammer!
This is how my inner monologue turned out when I first got a taste of Tom Ford's Noir Anthracite.
I immediately had Harvey Specter from the series "Suits" in mind*. For those of you who don't know him: A highly successful, highly intelligent, arrogant, self-involved lawyer and senior partner in a New York law firm. Middle 40, stroke in women and quite handsome.
Noir Anthracite would definitely be the fragrance of his choice. Because NA has that certain something that has never been smelled before. At the beginning slightly pungent, indescribably spicy and hot. In the further course a little more gentle, but really only a little bit more gentle. Freshness (which I can't read out in the components) is added, but obediently hides behind the dominant spice, because the spice wants to make an impression and doesn't tolerate any other nuances next to it. After all, there are cases to win, to intimidate opponents and to signal olfactorically to your own client that everything is going exactly as planned, the process is won!!

This scent is not for quiet walkers, disco goers or promenade walkers, this scent is for executives, lawyers, commanders of infantry battalions and for Darth Vader himself. Where I smelled more and more Aventus in the business world a few years ago, this NA could spread in the next few years. He has what it takes to become a mass phenomenon within a certain social sphere. For youngsters looking for a compliment getter and panties-remover, the fabric here is nothing.
Who else he could stand for: the Wolf of Wall Street, Michael Douglas in almost all roles, Captain Pike, Chancellor Gowron, Billy Russo, and Agent Smith.

Chapeau in front of this splendid specimen of fragrance. So far I have not dared to wear it in the truest sense of the word. But I've set myself a date for tomorrow. I hope I don't scare anybody. My wife finds him terrible by the way - what I don't really care about in this case for the first time :-)
*Only recently started the series.
Leimbacher
Looking as unimpressed as possible
The new flanker of Tom Ford's bestseller "Noir" is called Anthracite and that's how it behaves - a film Noir fragrance as it is written in the book. I'm sure he would have looked good on a Mr Marlowe. Grey, silver, anthracite. It has hardly anything to do with the original Noir, but in itself it is outstanding. And the name just pulls by now...

Like a silver-backed gorilla working on Wall Street. Like a fog of precious metal. Like aluminum in warm. Like silk from the planet Xanadu. Like a pepper mill from the Blade Runner's table. The most pleasant and masculine tuberose in the world.

I like anthracite very much and it is comparable to very little, no matter how much you had under your nose. That alone deserves respect. Anthracite to a noble suit in just this color - bam, the Pope's ruffles are knocked out of the dress. Kind of likeable, stuck-up. What there is not everything. Whether Abiball or funeral, disco or glamrock, cooking course or noble dinner, Tom Ford or Kik - "Noir Anthracite" is the best fragrance of the series. At least the one that goes best with ME. It is a breath of decadence, the luxury one likes to indulge in. Because he's paying off. Futuristic and warm and cosy at the same time, you can't see the forest for the laths anymore. And he puts it up.

Flacon: grey and great
Sillage: no beast, an offensive Gent
Shelf life: 8 hours, the good Tommy rarely spills. Not here either.

Conclusion: a "normal" Ford on the level of its Prives - this anthracite is worth gold! Pepper the holes from the cheese!
What a surprise
I wouldn't have guessed.
Tom Ford launches a fragrance on the market that makes a lasting impression on me.
With the TF creations I have always had a hard time. Even the two TF scents, which I call my own, only convinced me in the beginning.
They have now moved far into the back corner of the perfume cupboard.
Both bottles still 2/3 full.
Noir Anthracite is now a very welcome exception.
What's more, I have discovered a TF scent which, in my opinion, does not tend to have a sweet, creamy TF DNA and which also remains exciting for my sensation throughout the pyramid.
Noir Anthracite quotes from me very appreciated fragrances from the 70s and early 80s (Jaques Bogart, Quorum), as well as selected British colognes (Trumper Astor - & Marlborough Cologne), but still presents itself very contemporary and fresh. A certain "herbaceousness" is quite recognizable, but neither old-fashioned nor antiquated.
The good impression is complemented by an elegant, unadorned flacon reminiscent of high-rise buildings with dark glass facades from the 70s and 80s. In this respect a coherent overall package.
The scent as such makes the following impression on me:
Bergamot and pepper usually dominate the top note immediately after application. Rarely do I take an irritating, strong pertroleum note in the beginning, but it quickly fades away.
In the further course of the game, galbanum and patchoulli are the most prominent for me.
The "dry down" rounds everything off so well with a well balanced wood note in the base that the first 100 ml bottle is already used up after approx. 4 months ! - still questions ?
- Yeah, I bathed in it.

Haunting Photo-Realistic Coal
The title is really just a retrodiction of that of my previous review; and whereas in that case it was meant in full earnest, in this it is a tad (and some) hyperbolick! However, when I first picked up the sample-bottle of this & squirted from it, my thoughts went something like "anthracite? ... yeah right! ... how is a perfume going to smell of ... oh my dark angels! it does too!". How it is rendered I do not know, but this is a stunning piece of perfumery innovation.

I think these TF ~Noir~-themed 'fumes are very much a trade-off between performance & originality, with the see-saw falling very much on the side of originality. Having tried this one ^and^ ~Extreme~ really quite thoroughly, I unfortunately cannot but agree with those reviewers who scathe these 'fumes for having rather weak performance; but in exchange uw ^do^ get originality, & that in generous measure. Both are ^extremely^ °interessante°, and a delight to wear going out. That sweet powdery coaly note is just a total salvager of any other deficiency it can reasonably be said to have - and I think sheer weight-of-metal-brought-to-the-field is indeed the ^only^ index whereat it is weak, forthat in every other respect, like ~Extreme~, maugre its innovativity, it is a perfectly plausible reasonable & °proper° perfume.

A little aside if I may in connection with this: when I was a youngster in the seventies, occasionally as one was a-walking down the street, a tar-truck would go past on the way to road-works, with smoke billowing out of the back. I would always intraspire deeply on such occasions, loving the aroma loving it. In fact, I find the smell of petrochemickals in general pleasant. It seems to me that persons might be divided into two distinct categories of those who like such aromata & those who don't (& I ^extremely^ heartily deplore the modern fashion for suffusing petrochemickally produce with cheapo aromachemicals, the result being that it just smells ^stupid^!). I think quite likely this 'fume will be liked or disliked according as the putative °liker° is in one category or the other, the way-round being self-evident. I am willing to be wrong about this; but I am very curious apropos the matter.

... a day or so later ...
I'm reconsidering what I said about heft & durance in this case. Wearing it another day (coz I ran out if time for selecting a new one) I found it really quite stupborn, in that it just wasn't going away °any-time-soon°; although it did dry down to something that, quite frankly, smelt even more of coal-type stuff (in fact, much like the aforementioned espirations of the tar-truck) than it does in the opening. And this was fine by me - I love that sort of thing. ^Not^ a safe acquisition for anyone who is not into °maverick° 'fumes!

What's this ~macassar wood~; has that got something tæ do with it?

I've just remembered: another 'fume that smells kind of similar in the dry down, but ^much^ more unexoectedly, is Kilian's (no! I'm ^not^ saying 'By Kilian''s!) ~Incense Oud~: but I say 'kind of' because that's more evocative of smouldering wood than of smouldering petroleum-type produce.

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 4 months ago
A slightly smoky, yet rather heavy citric-spicy (modern) Chypre, balanced by a solid dry earthy-woody base. Keep sprays to a minimum!
GONZALOGONZALO 7 months ago
One of the most underrated from Tom Ford. My favourite from the brand. Manly, elegant mature personality.
IanFriedrichIanFriedrich 2 years ago
Noir Anthracite is similar with Interlude Man, but Noir Anthracite is soft. It is like Interlude Young Man, Soft Blue Beast version
Syzygy73Syzygy73 3 years ago
A dry intensely peppery opening that persists throughout and dries down to become an even drier paper and cedar mix. Austere minmalism.
Rmf1112Rmf1112 3 years ago
Not for everyone, no noticeable sweetness and is in fact very bitter and mature. Highly recommended for serious and confident men.

by Lanto
by Zauber600
by Estbienla
by Estbienla

Popular Tom Ford

Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Lost Cherry (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Beau de Jour (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Ombré Leather 16 by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud Intense by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua by Tom Ford Vert d'Encens by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Amber Absolute by Tom Ford White Suede (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Minérale by Tom Ford