Noir Extreme (2015)

Noir Extreme by Tom Ford
Noir Extreme is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for men and was released in 2015. The scent is sweet-gourmand. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Top Notes Top NotesMandarin, Neroli, Saffron, Cardamom, Nutmeg
Heart Notes Heart NotesKulfi, Mastic resin, Rose, Jasmine, Orange blossom
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Submitted by TheDrake, last update on 17.09.2018

The face of the advertising campaign is Tom Ford himself.

Sweet Noir...
I have only tried the Eau de Parfum version of Tom Ford - Noir. I can say that the original in Eau de Parfum is stronger than this fragrance. Although this is labelled "extreme" I don't get anything loud here.
What I do get, is a sweet, spicy woody oriental, which is very well suited to cooler weather. I personally would wear this to work or formally. I can see it being worn at night or even on a date. I love the ambery, resinous vibe mixed with the pistachio etc. However I wouldn't consider this a gourmand in an overt way. It's subtly sweet. I pick up some peppery like nutmeg and woods too. I think it's blended together well but feel it's performance slightly lacking. I do think it's more versatile than people think it is and I think in the right setting this could work very well. It's one to have around for the right occasion.

Misnomer
I have seen sharp criticism of the naming of this 'fume. I could not agree more: to call it ~Noir Extreme~ is positively misleading & even a borderline trade-description matter! It ought to be in a pink bottle & named ~Candy~ or something like that.

But I do like it. It's certainly one of the most original 'fumes I have encountered - possibly more so even than Cartier's ~Baiser Fou~, which I have recently praised extremely highly for its originality.

I will now apparrently somdel contradict myself. The opening is lush & cosy - those things to an ^extreme^ in fact (there's the contradiction). And it is rich: the overwhelming impression is of rich, lush, cosy leather. But it is a really ^very^ non-linear 'fume: it metamorphoses thence into a ... well, I don't know what the name is for its genre, or whether there even is one, as it is at this stage that it really begins to shine originality-wise. The aroma at this epoch of its life-cycle brings to (at least my) mind the suggestion of ... lemonade! Not that it smells ^like^ lemonade (I have been here before & no doubt will again; and I cannot stress this strongly enough, how a 'fume can olfactorily °evoke° a thing without actually smelling ^like^ it). Yes, it °conjures° or °evokes° the aroma of lemonade! (It is undoubtedly the cardamom that is largely the substrate of this effect, but with somehow, by perfumistric sleight-of-hand, a cunning °teasing-out° applied). And that's alright, as I'm not actually smelling ^of^ lemonade ^per se^; and the entirety of the fragrance is nevertheless a ^proper^ fragrance. It is ^undoubtedly^ a gourmand fragrance now; but It does nevertheless still retain a great deal of the character it puts forth at its opening, but strongly transfigured gourmand-wards.

And it really is a ^very^ original fragrance at this stage. It might seem from the foregoing description that it is essentially a gourmandy gimmick, but it is not! One never feels other than that one is wearing a proper bona-fide perfume.

And there are certain ancilliary effects entering in also, which, though subtle, are contributing more than proportionally to their sheer strength - such as a °freshly-laundered-linen° muskiness that wanders here and there gently fluttering its kerchief; and other delicacies I can't quite pin-down, lending further complexity & intriguery to this altogether quite delectable & extraordinary fragrance.

... several hours later ...
You could be forgiven for refusing to believe that I have not read ~K1~'s review until just now. But now that I have read it, I do concur that it's very °medicinal° in its aroma, but more so at the beginning, and not really very much in the later stage. Don't know in retrospect why I didn't think of the 'medicinal' figure.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
Hard and Soft at the same time !
I never had a perfume like this before. Fragence is very good and smells hard in the beginning but is not disturbing others or yourself as it gets a bit soft/sweet afterwards.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 1.0/10 Longevity 4.0/10 Scent 1.0/10
Smells special and good. But not long lasting and no sillage
Two days before I made a blind buy on this perfume because I saw lots of youtube reviews which says Noir Extreme is awesome, special, manly and Beast. The shopkeeper does not had a tester for this perfume so again I have to make a decision for blind buy. The projection is very poor so that someone has to rub his nose on my body to smell it. In my office, nobody told me a single compliment about this perfume even after I sprayed it 6 times on my pulse points !
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
Ambery spice
This is a nice one from Tom Ford, amber spicy concoction. Silage is very good and longevity about 12 hours on my skin. I love oriental perfumes and this one suits just fine. This one will be good for winter and fall. Its nothing exceptional though but a good one from Ford.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 2.5/10 Longevity 2.5/10 Scent 1.0/10
K1
"Noir Extreme"? How about "Welcome to the Candy Shop"?!
I don't know how it happens when a top seller house falls in quality, it sells more! Tom Ford has fallen after discontinuing the most brilliant members of Private Blend and you see how powerful the brand became! Furthermore, the sales policies is so high; you see bold difference between Private Blend and ordinary releases of the house such as Noir, For Man, etc.

Noir Extreme, for the first time I tried around five months ago, was a great let down. It still is. Someone really should give end to this oriental vanilla genre.

Primarily, the title is totally unfit to the context of smell. It would be Pink Extreme. Seriously, if there is a certain definition of "man" which Tom Ford uses it as in classic creations which used to separate genders, and I believe Tom Ford personally would deny that definition, this perfume is totally out of that boundary. If he insists on gay culture and conceptualizes it by perfume, then naming a perfume "man" is a market-focused trick.

Noir Extreme is an intense syrupy sweet lollipop with very punchy candy smell mingled with spicy air. It's more like crude home-made replica of a famous oriental vanilla by an untrained perfumer. A pimpy kinky medicinal sweetness that lacks the very character of every sweet smell: happiness.

Longevity: 6/10
Sillage: 4/10
Scent: 2/10

PBullFriend 14 months ago
Loathsome powdery vanilla/orange blossom over men's cologne. Gave me a headache. Scrubbed.+4
Sillage 5.0
Scent 2.0
Hermesh 3 years ago
Everything creamy: vanilla, ambery sandalwood that interacts with mastic, even the spices. 'Extreme' goes hin the direction 'heavy'&'sweet.+2
Bottle 7.5

• by sebjar by sebjar
  • by ErhanSaceros by ErhanSaceros
  • by Ayhabibid by Ayhabibid
  • by eBOSS by eBOSS
  • Tom Ford is the king of marketing, this being not special you pay what it is worth by Carlossp
  • by Lobogaust by Lobogaust
  • by Carlossp by Carlossp

Popular Tom Ford

Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Black Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme by Tom Ford Velvet Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford For Men (Eau de Toilette) by Tom Ford Neroli Portofino (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford White Patchouli by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Violet Blonde by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Italian Cypress by Tom Ford Extreme (Eau de Toilette) by Tom Ford Soleil Blanc (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Sahara Noir by Tom Ford