Noir Extreme (2015)

Noir Extreme by Tom Ford

Noir Extreme is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for men and was released in 2015. The scent is sweet-gourmand. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Top Notes Top NotesMandarin, Neroli, Saffron, Cardamom, Nutmeg
Heart Notes Heart NotesKulfi, Mastic resin, Rose, Jasmine, Orange blossom
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Submitted by TheDrake, last update on 07.12.2018

The face of the advertising campaign is Tom Ford himself.

Bottle 6.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 8.5/10
The fireworks in a deep black night
I remember when I sprayed Noir Extreme for the first time in a perfumery. So sweet and so floral, that can't be a pure men's fragrance,' I thought when I sniffed at my wrist at the time A few weeks later - I had tested Noir Extreme again and again in the meantime - it was clear: This fragrance won't let me go. A bottle of it must come from, and fast!
To my original assessment I would like to say: Even if some of the spices try to push the fragrance in a more masculine direction at times, I classify Noir Extreme as suitable for unisex. The ladies variant seems to me to be superfluous against this background.

What is the best way to describe Noir Extreme?
Surely I could go through the notes from the fragrance pyramid, and indeed: No other fragrance can I smell the individual components in head, heart and base note as clearly as here, each of high quality and naturalness.
But I prefer to think of Noir Extreme as an opulent scent firework in a deep black, clear night, drawn high up into the sky and yet floating so close to my own body. Introduced by a fruity, spicy start, its climax is characterized by a melange of creamy sweetness, refreshing flowers and tame smoke, before it ends leisurely with a vanilla bedded on wood.

With regard to shelf life, there is only positive news to report: Eight hours and more are effortlessly the order of the day for me, mind you with a moderate dosage of three spray shots. Projection and Sillage are also above average according to the reactions I have received from bystanders so far. Compliments are inevitable with Noir Extreme. To the truth belongs also, however, that the smell of some nose could be even a trace too pleasing.

There are minor points of criticism with the bottle: it looks fine, but is nothing special. The lid is made of lightweight, cheap plastic like the other fragrances of the Noir series and fits - at least with my model - more bad than right. For a fragrance of this price class also not appropriate are minor scratches and flaws in the glass of the flacon, which unfortunately are present in my specimen.

There are plenty of occasions to wear Noir Extreme; due to its opulence, of course, preferably on cooler days. However, I think that you can wear the fragrance with reduced dosage on a summer evening or even in the office. But I prefer to save it for occasions for which it seems predestined: to create fireworks in a deep black night. Over and out.
Bottle 4.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
Just a little bit in love
Mmm
It's so nice to be alive
When you meet someone
who bewitches you
Will he be my own
Or did I just fall a little bit
a little bit in love?

Only a small excerpt from the wonderfully nonchalant yet very ecstatically trilled Julie Andrews song. As it sometimes happens, Noir extreme is for me a fragrance that has become a person. None really existing, that would be boring ;)
Two years ago, at a time when wild nights in the smoke of cigarettes of drunken multi-seminarity mixed with color in the cheeks of driving theatre and opera evenings, N. was my constant companion. His breath always has something sweet and matte, a sweet and doughy sweetness, as if his mother were a confectioner and he was still the little boy who, between romping and dozing, stole a piece of cinnamon bun. His hair has a bronze sheen, his forehead is serious, his mouth slightly mocking, his grey-blue eyes testify to deep humor. He is a restrained companion who does not speak often, but when he opens his clearly defined lips, his statements are of unobtrusive wisdom. N. radiates a quiet eroticism through that same restraint and his attentive, often youthfully astonished observation, which struck me only late, but from which I could then no longer escape.
His touches are addictive, his scent is as soft as the black cashmere turtleneck sweaters to which he sometimes wears narrow golden rings, always two on one hand. Oh, his hands! The strong milk-coffee-brown smooth back, then the firm yet delicate fingers that could belong to a clarinettist! I rave about appearances. That's not good, but they will be more than that, more and more sparks will sting and caress my inside as I inhale into N.'s present. We're sitting in the foyer of the State Opera. He looks at me seriously and for a long time. A smile can sense itself. It's the color of caramel. Do I fall a little bit in love?
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 9.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 6.5/10
Pressboard dessert?
One of our more famous/notorious commentators received a hefty scolding when he wrote (analogously) that these Americans simply had too much space in their country to do justice to the difficult stratifications of European urban life. I am now one of those people who can gain a lot from such hard crowbar aphorisms as stirrups of thinking "prima facie", as we live in a time of aversion to judgement and - in the literal sense - indifferent relativization of everything and everyone (at least on certain levels). And in the case of Noir Extreme, there are some arguments for the above assessment, as I find:

It's good and good that an attempt was made here to recreate an exotic dish, Kulfi, in an olfactory way. I don't know if it was a success (never eaten), but I was happy about a successful gourmandism during the test, which was a little bit puffed up and space-filling, but never overfeeding. Nevertheless I was tired of it (like Black Orchid from the same house) after a while. For the price, *cliché mode on*, the suspicious European wishes for a somewhat more interesting, multi-layered fragrance. Of course, the dessert the perfumer is aiming for contains some ingredients (and you can smell them, too, see other comments on this fragrance), but the impression of the long-lasting heart note is a rather brutal, monolithic one.

And the base? Woody. But what kind of conception of wood was on which this was based? Moist, incompletely burning campfire? After the Kulfi had completely moved away, it became even clearer: DIY store, service area where kitchen worktops are cut to size, sawdust. Dry, harsh and a bit cheap, not unlike fiery plastic. MDF dust on the back of my hand, as if I had been standing at the circular saw all day.

What makes you think that? Are these the residues of components that were necessary to compose the dessert note (are there not yoghurt manufacturers who work with wood to produce the sweet-fruity overall impression?)? Like impressive, paper-thin film backdrops that are turned into small pieces of wood at the end of the shoot. In this respect, Tom Ford perhaps really makes perfect Hollywood fragrances!
Sweet Noir...
I have only tried the Eau de Parfum version of Tom Ford - Noir. I can say that the original in Eau de Parfum is stronger than this fragrance. Although this is labelled "extreme" I don't get anything loud here.
What I do get, is a sweet, spicy woody oriental, which is very well suited to cooler weather. I personally would wear this to work or formally. I can see it being worn at night or even on a date. I love the ambery, resinous vibe mixed with the pistachio etc. However I wouldn't consider this a gourmand in an overt way. It's subtly sweet. I pick up some peppery like nutmeg and woods too. I think it's blended together well but feel it's performance slightly lacking. I do think it's more versatile than people think it is and I think in the right setting this could work very well. It's one to have around for the right occasion.

Misnomer
I have seen sharp criticism of the naming of this 'fume. I could not agree more: to call it ~Noir Extreme~ is positively misleading & even a borderline trade-description matter! It ought to be in a pink bottle & named ~Candy~ or something like that.

But I do like it. It's certainly one of the most original 'fumes I have encountered - possibly more so even than Cartier's ~Baiser Fou~, which I have recently praised extremely highly for its originality.

I will now apparrently somdel contradict myself. The opening is lush & cosy - those things to an ^extreme^ in fact (there's the contradiction). And it is rich: the overwhelming impression is of rich, lush, cosy leather. But it is a really ^very^ non-linear 'fume: it metamorphoses thence into a ... well, I don't know what the name is for its genre, or whether there even is one, as it is at this stage that it really begins to shine originality-wise. The aroma at this epoch of its life-cycle brings to (at least my) mind the suggestion of ... lemonade! Not that it smells ^like^ lemonade (I have been here before & no doubt will again; and I cannot stress this strongly enough, how a 'fume can olfactorily °evoke° a thing without actually smelling ^like^ it). Yes, it °conjures° or °evokes° the aroma of lemonade! (It is undoubtedly the cardamom that is largely the substrate of this effect, but with somehow, by perfumistric sleight-of-hand, a cunning °teasing-out° applied). And that's alright, as I'm not actually smelling ^of^ lemonade ^per se^; and the entirety of the fragrance is nevertheless a ^proper^ fragrance. It is ^undoubtedly^ a gourmand fragrance now; but It does nevertheless still retain a great deal of the character it puts forth at its opening, but strongly transfigured gourmand-wards.

And it really is a ^very^ original fragrance at this stage. It might seem from the foregoing description that it is essentially a gourmandy gimmick, but it is not! One never feels other than that one is wearing a proper bona-fide perfume.

And there are certain ancilliary effects entering in also, which, though subtle, are contributing more than proportionally to their sheer strength - such as a °freshly-laundered-linen° muskiness that wanders here and there gently fluttering its kerchief; and other delicacies I can't quite pin-down, lending further complexity & intriguery to this altogether quite delectable & extraordinary fragrance.

... several hours later ...
You could be forgiven for refusing to believe that I have not read ~K1~'s review until just now. But now that I have read it, I do concur that it's very °medicinal° in its aroma, but more so at the beginning, and not really very much in the later stage. Don't know in retrospect why I didn't think of the 'medicinal' figure.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
Hard and Soft at the same time !
I never had a perfume like this before. Fragence is very good and smells hard in the beginning but is not disturbing others or yourself as it gets a bit soft/sweet afterwards.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 1.0/10 Longevity 4.0/10 Scent 1.0/10
Smells special and good. But not long lasting and no sillage
Two days before I made a blind buy on this perfume because I saw lots of youtube reviews which says Noir Extreme is awesome, special, manly and Beast. The shopkeeper does not had a tester for this perfume so again I have to make a decision for blind buy. The projection is very poor so that someone has to rub his nose on my body to smell it. In my office, nobody told me a single compliment about this perfume even after I sprayed it 6 times on my pulse points !
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
Ambery spice
This is a nice one from Tom Ford, amber spicy concoction. Silage is very good and longevity about 12 hours on my skin. I love oriental perfumes and this one suits just fine. This one will be good for winter and fall. Its nothing exceptional though but a good one from Ford.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 2.5/10 Longevity 2.5/10 Scent 1.0/10
K1
"Noir Extreme"? How about "Welcome to the Candy Shop"?!
I don't know how it happens when a top seller house falls in quality, it sells more! Tom Ford has fallen after discontinuing the most brilliant members of Private Blend and you see how powerful the brand became! Furthermore, the sales policies is so high; you see bold difference between Private Blend and ordinary releases of the house such as Noir, For Man, etc.

Noir Extreme, for the first time I tried around five months ago, was a great let down. It still is. Someone really should give end to this oriental vanilla genre.

Primarily, the title is totally unfit to the context of smell. It would be Pink Extreme. Seriously, if there is a certain definition of "man" which Tom Ford uses it as in classic creations which used to separate genders, and I believe Tom Ford personally would deny that definition, this perfume is totally out of that boundary. If he insists on gay culture and conceptualizes it by perfume, then naming a perfume "man" is a market-focused trick.

Noir Extreme is an intense syrupy sweet lollipop with very punchy candy smell mingled with spicy air. It's more like crude home-made replica of a famous oriental vanilla by an untrained perfumer. A pimpy kinky medicinal sweetness that lacks the very character of every sweet smell: happiness.

Longevity: 6/10
Sillage: 4/10
Scent: 2/10

PBullFriend 16 months ago
Loathsome powdery vanilla/orange blossom over men's cologne. Gave me a headache. Scrubbed.+4
Sillage 5.0
Scent 2.0
Hermesh 3 years ago
Everything creamy: vanilla, ambery sandalwood that interacts with mastic, even the spices. 'Extreme' goes hin the direction 'heavy'&'sweet.+2
Bottle 7.5
Sillage 7.5
Longevity 7.5
Scent 6.5
Toreter 16 days ago
A sweet suede flower-milk-vanilla-rose-amber combo. Starts femenine and evolves more masculine.Sweet smooth and comfortable. 8/10
Jazzy76 46 days ago
Black bottle and black soul! Oriental resinous with an unexpected flowery heart, it's a wonderful jus for her too!Good sillage. I love it
Bottle 7.0

• by sebjar by sebjar
  • by Ayhabibid by Ayhabibid
  • by eBOSS by eBOSS
  • by BlackbirdHH by BlackbirdHH
  • Tom Ford is the king of marketing, this being not special you pay what it is worth by Carlossp
  • by Lobogaust by Lobogaust
  • by Carlossp by Carlossp

Popular Tom Ford

Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Black Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme by Tom Ford Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Velvet Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford For Men (Eau de Toilette) by Tom Ford Neroli Portofino (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford White Patchouli by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Violet Blonde by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Italian Cypress by Tom Ford Extreme (Eau de Toilette) by Tom Ford Soleil Blanc (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford