Noir de Noir (2007) Eau de Parfum

Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford

Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for women and men and was released in 2007. The scent is floral-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Top Notes Top NotesSaffron
Heart Notes Heart NotesFloral notes, Black rose, Black truffle
Base Notes Base NotesMoss, Oud, Patchouli, Vanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 09.05.2019

7.0 7.0 9.0 8.0/10

Love-hate relationship
When I first smelled the NdN on a test strip I thought "What the hell", but not in a positive sense. A heavy dark rose rose rose directly rose into my nose which woke 2 memories in me. On the one hand, it was the funeral of a good friend who had been torn out of life much too early and violently, and on the other hand to my ex-wife. She was a florist and in the back room, where wreaths and burial arrangements were made, there was always this heavy rose scent in the air. So that's it for me.
A few days later I'm standing in the laundry room filling the washing machine when a very positive "What the hell" is going on. I get the best vanilla scent I had noticed until then, mixed with a few sprinkles of patchoulli and a bit mossy. It is a uniquely warm and very pleasant, sensual fragrance. In the pocket of a jeans I find the test strip and it becomes clear to me that this is the Tom Ford which I had already written off. I must have unconsciously put the strip in my pocket and forgotten it there. Fortunately I took him with me, otherwise I would never have had the chance to experience this final.
Meanwhile I have a flacon. I still hate the start of the dark, heavy, almost oppressive rose for the reasons mentioned above. But I love the moment when the rose slowly retreats and paves the way for the first timid notes of moss, patchouli and vanilla. And even more I love this unique finale, which has nothing heavy and dark anymore. I like to wear NdN on special occasions like whiskey evenings, tastings and Scottish-Irish nights.
To put it in a nutshell, I hate whiskey. I don't like the taste and I loathe the smell. When the gang opens the 300 Euro bottle and the room immediately fills up with the smell of a fire ruin, I honestly lack any understanding of how to eat something like this. But I love the conviviality that whiskey can create. And in connection with the NdN and the smoky, partly medicinal, whiskey and peaty, boggy notes of a Guinness, something unique and wonderful emerges that can almost not be described in words.
Since there is another medium besides scents that can transport feelings very well, I will try it this way. Of course we are talking about music.
Noir de Noir starts with Haendels Sarabande (Suite pour clavecin n°4). Heavy, dark, carried and with a deep sadness but also with something solemn. This is the black rose that is so dominant in the beginning and displaces everything else.
The course then changes to Albionis Adagio in G minor. Not quite as heavy anymore, but still dark and worn when the rose ends its dominance and the first notes of patchouli and co become perceptible.
When vanilla and moss join in, Pachelbel's Canon starts in D. It becomes more sweet, softer, gentler and the anticipation of the grandiose finale of this fragrance rises.
The finale is this unique vanilla. The rose is only very faintly perceptible, no longer heavy but now lovely and very gentle and friendly, almost shy. This is where Beethoven's Silence begins for me. It is an indescribable mood created by this soft, warm and soft finale. There's something a little fairytale about it. The moment when the night ends and the twilight doesn't quite set in yet but the promise of the light in the air is to end the darkness and give hope for a new day.
Now I have written many words, but this fragrance cannot be described briefly. And just like the music, Noir de Noir is a composition, a masterpiece to which you have to open up, which takes time. Because the fragrance lasts very long and is with me, applied at noon, also the next morning still there.
8.0 10.0 8.0/10

Legendary. Attractive. Mysterious.
What attributes. My curiosity was aroused. It took a test. The bottling orders. At this point we would like to thank Maya11 for the great handling.

So get your skin on: Wow, Noir de Noir doesn't start dark at all. A radiantly tart freshness tickles the nose. Somehow..... fruity - tingling. Is that the saffron? It reminds me a little of the juicy spiciness of ginger. In any case unusual, innovative and with high recognition value. Demanding (some might call it exhausting), because this top note is impossible to ignore. If it demands attention and attention, it gives the same to the wearer*in the public environment.

But patience also pays off here. Because the unusual, almost austere entree spreads the carpet for an extremely pleasantly flowery, bitter rose. Cool with a certain severity and definitely unisex she is. Garnet red, darkly shimmering and of enviable unsweetness. The vanilla only becomes perceptible in the drydown, but the fragrance retains its tart freshness. It seems almost dry, which I would like to attribute to moss and patchouli. This rose is definitely to my taste.

Flowery but not playful.
Powerful but distant.
Brilliant, and yet so much deeper than all the roses I've known so far.

So he lingers - hardly changed - hour after hour. The Sillage, which was quite lush at the beginning, gradually withdraws and becomes pleasantly perceptible but not overwhelming. The shelf life is excellent. Words like "atomic" have their justification. On my skin, I can still see it the next day. Clothing is permanently impregnated with Noir de Noir. He has already occupied a jacket collar and scarf and claimed them for himself. Here it is recommended to use garments that are available for exclusive scenting with NdN.

Definitely a scent for the lady or the gentleman. He represents for me unagitated presence with a certain life experience and maturity, is sophisticated and distinguished.

Dark chocolate and a glass of dry red wine would be for me parallel pleasures to Noir de Noir. And despite these associations, he is also an excellent companion for me in everyday life. Whether in a meeting, at a party with guests or just for myself - if I feel like it, I get a bouquet of dark red roses. Even the woman is.

In this sense namaste,

your Schwälbchen :)
8.0 8.0 8.0 9.5/10

The Night
So far I've had my problems with roses and many other bushes when it was too much in the spotlight, but apparently a rose just has to be black to inspire me. Many thanks to the dear Zauber600, who gave me the opportunity to test this fragrance again extensively.

Since he is unisex I would like to try to describe him from the point of view of a woman and then from the point of view of a man.
I think there are differences.

Since I am a gentleman I start of course with the ladies description. Ladies First.
Description of a woman:

- I'm dreaming. Shimmering in the darkness she stands there, the little black one with the embroidered neckline and how weightless she approaches me. The night!
The air around me becomes clear, then I feel a bitter bitterness that evaporates quickly.

The night is a shadow that captures us and takes us on a journey that frees us. In her hand a rose that is so black that it seems to be made of coal, but is wetted by morning dew and freshly blossomed. Its leaves are juicy and aromatic, and its thorns are raised high.

Her lips wet with the kiss of the rose and her aura smells of heaviness. Its face, on the other hand, is as seductive as it is delicious for the finest dark chocolate.

The deepest night of life falls and I see the sun crying. Her tears fall upon us and into the nature that surrounds us. Damp wood and fields, oceans of flowers and mushrooms sprout from the ground and her hand embraces the Black Rose so firmly that she cuts herself.

She knows she has to go. At the end she will cry and soak the ground with her vanilla tears.

They will guide me through the darkness and I am not afraid. I'm alive, I'm breathing, and I know I'm gonna experience the night and enjoy it. She will be my faithful companion and visit me again.
If I often feel dark, I can only see good here.

I drop myself and draw from this treasure, I inhale you and become one with your.

So much splendour in this night, what reveals itself here, with a duration that does not want to and should not end.

Description of a man:

- Boah, GEIL!

7.0 8.0 10.0/10

What it is
Starts bright, but don't let it unsettle you. The fragrance becomes classic, velvety, heavy without weighing down, elegant. No song, one piece, more than the sum of its parts. Something new, my own.
The prelude is too bright for me, that is often so and so I decide to wait. From Tom Ford I know Velvet Orchid and Sahara Noir. Real Wumser with high concentration, but which also have unmistakable peculiarity. Self-confident, strong fragrances that don't care if they are liked or not out of arrogance or dominance - they are simple. That's about what I expect from No.3 and I'm curious what it is.
A garish start, almost like a white bloomer, but I hardly think the term, already it does not fit so right. Something sweet wobbles past, alternating with the top note and something leathery. Leather poppy. Suede poppy. Sniffing, I stick to my arm. You can indulge in this fragrance. One smells how much one cannot smell, perceive and is impressed, seeks, wants more.
He reminds me of Cuir de russie, not a sister, but it could be a cousin. Creamy, soft, elegant, multi-layered. Noir the Noir can also do what only special scents can do. It moves like the filling of a lava lamp..sometimes a little cloud of poppy, sometimes vanilla, something chocolaty, something warm-blooded..rose poppy..poppy rose..creamy, delicate poppy rose leather, oriental. If you want to test him, give him 2 hours. Let him breathe before you look, make contact.
This fragrance is rapturous, in a positive way. He makes beautiful. Maybe someday I can tell you what it is.
9.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

extravagant arrogance & romance
I know the super dark one from Ford through a friend who works at TF. She was present at the TF counter of an upscale department store in the city centre and I sniffed at some of the private blends in addition to the conversation. She offered to give me bottlings. Of course I couldn't refuse this offer and so I took Mandarino di Amalfi, Tuscan Leather and Noir de Noir with me on this day
Already at the very first sniff of the incense stick at the counter I found Noir de Noir extremely interesting and magically attractive. A fragrance composition I've never noticed before. But at that time I was more interested in MdA, which I bought in the meantime.

Noir de Noir, however, has always been remembered. Every now and then I take out the small glass bottle, remove the cap and sniff it as if it were cocaine. The sample has not been used up yet, because I think it is a fragrance that I cannot wear on every occasion. It is definitely intended for special occasions on special evenings. Also the designation probably speaks for it. It is a sweet-floral scent that can also be worn by men. The rose and the floral notes I perceive well. In addition there is a spicy sweetness which is not too sweet for my feelings. Moss and oud in the base add further complexity and depth to the fragrance. The shelf life and Sillage are phenomenal. On both occasions where I wore Noir de Noir so far he held a good 8h and I smelled him on myself for a long time. I don't think there's much to discuss about the bottle. The flacons of the Private Blends line I find (probably like almost everyone here) beautiful and elegant.

Although it is a unisex scent, I don't think it can be worn by everyone. This regardless of whether he pleases the respective woman / the respective man. For me it is an extroverted scent that demands self-confidence from its wearer. A fragrance that you wear in a perfectly styled outfit for a special occasion. Because the fragrance is perceived and screams: here I am, check me out!
Or you can wear it to a romantic date with your sweetheart or your wife/girlfriend, as already written below by Leimbacher (whose comments I like to read by the way). I think Noir de Noir radiates a certain decadence, self-confidence and timeless romance.

I hope that no wrong conclusions are drawn about the sponsorship of this great fragrance. For me it is a successful masterpiece, one that I will definitely buy to wear on special occasions.

Edit: This fragrance deserves a 10 of me
8.0 8.0 9.0 9.5/10

AmberScent
A black perfume of black.
As far as I'm concerned, this is probably Tom Ford's best fragrance.
I use it frequently and do consider this perfume more masculine than feminine although it is qualified as unisex. Well... it's maybe acceptable.
This is a very well blended floral-spicy-oriental fragrance and very black. I find it a semi-dark to dark perfume. It's semi-dark because it's subtle and it's dark because it has really some gloomy and black notes. That blackiness completely outlines this perfume and its evolution. I already tried to layer it with other dark and non dark scents but with very poor success in my findings so far. It seems to be perfect as it is.
The perfume opens very smoothly, like someone slowly approaching with slippers. It's quite a soft and intimate saffron starting this scent journey, however a bit leathery and bittersweet.This note does prevail for a while but the global scent evolution surprises us with a powerful rose, a dark persistent rose that sticks around almost all through the perfume life.The rose note gives you nuances of powder and black woods. It's a dark, dirty and woody accord of a special rose... marvelous!
I am not a rose scent fancier but I really like this composition. Probably due to the heart notes support (flowers and truffles), the dark rose scent is emphasized with a musky, earthy and pungent aroma.
The base notes set a peaceful oud frame with earthy patchouli and lightly sweet vanilla, but the dark gloomy rose persists for quite a while. The agar wood note is not prominent but does have a base role in the fragrance shadowy evolution.
As the time passes, the dry down becomes a bit more sweet and powdery.
The perfume does give a strong impression of class and sophistication, with an above average longevity but with an average projection. Probably it is what's correct for this upscale fragrance. Excessive projection would be annoying. The scent is not cloying. The darker accords are never to proeminent and offer an excellent near skin performance. I do consider this perfume to be very well designed and perfectly blended. I have a faint heart for this type of obscure scents and I find it very alluring and sexy.
However the world is not perfect and this scent it's not an universal pleaser. It has probably as many haters as lovers. Many people reject the subtle overlaying obscure shadow present in all the stages of this fragrance. After all "cést un parfum noir de noir" (it's a black perfume of black).
I love it and consider it a real masterpiece... La crème de la crème de Tom Ford!
There is just one concern.... its price! I can only consider it quite expensive, specially when there is a very well blended similar fragrance - Armaf Club de Nuit Intense for Women - costing 10% to 15% of the Noir de Noir price.
Nevertheless and as far as I'm concerned, this is probably Tom Ford's best fragrance.

Keep your scent high!
7.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

Black Forest
Scentrack: The Cure - Lullaby

Although not being a rose fan, I must confess I admire how realistic and complex this rose is. A fresh rose merged with dense and dusty chocolate. Like this rose grew from the compost of moist and dark patchouli, priceless tuber and oakmoss, while viscous oud is dripping from the nearby tree.
I even like it more in the drydown, when earthy and wet base pulsates even more.
Masters Cavallier and Fremont successfully brought together two different world: heartbreaking romantics and gourmand moist of the soil. For the rose lovers this is a dream, for other close to heaven. A black forest fragrance.

Rating: 8/10
8.0 8.0 8.0 9.5/10

Noir De Noir review...
Noir de Noir is a beautiful earthy rose. A bit of saffron in the beginning then the rich dark rose blooms in full splendor. Its a gorgeous fragrance, I highly recommend trying the body spray version for $60. Its also strong and lasts a long time. I can only imagine both layered. Heaven.
Super buy for winter.
9.0 8.0 10.0 10.0/10

Noir or not,worths it
I've been trying to picture a man wearing Noir de Noir...i can't, a man smelling of sweet roses just doesn't work in my view,so I most def declare this one a woman fragrance.So,as I was saying the rose is the main character in the story,but make no mistake,it is the rose in it's purest form,dark red(maybe noir,why not),huge and velvety,rising in the middle of the garden.Maybe it is dipped in a touch of chocolate,maybe not,but the vanilla makes it one of the sweetest roses in perfumery.Oud? Can't sense it,but they say it was once,in the first formulations of the perfume.So what we have here is a sensual sweet rose,without any evolution along its fases,linear I may say,just a little earthy from the truffle,but is nevertheless one of the best roses perfume at the moment.
Edit** I had the chance of finding a few ml from a 2011 edition,oh my,what a difference.First,the colour of the liquid is redish brown,comparing to the clear of the new formulation.Then,you can actually sense the patchouli,but what a beautiful one.Then chocolate,and in the back of the whole mix there is oud,one that really shows up.All of this takes the rose to a whole new meaning.Superb,will hold to this small decant as long as I can(isn't that easy to be honest)

~ Noir Neutral ~
~ I have never read reviews or watched video opinions on this TF before other than what I have seen on forum replies and the chain of notes above. I have this on my arm now as I type and I am completely neutral in my initial impression of testing. Of course I get the rose, chocolate (and red wine perhaps?) and it appears to remain the same and linear in the last two hours I have worn it. It is a touch sweet as I am getting more vanilla but perhaps too rich for the type of scent I usually enjoy. The dominant rose here no doubt will be the redeeming factor for my final opinion because I do enjoy florals. It definitely smells well blended and like it's price tag, expensive! My initial impression is this could be worn by a mature, elegant, confident woman or a man of the same but not just any man. He would need to be well dressed and well spoken and with this sprayed on his lapel would be complete!
Kind Regards, Plat ~
- I have seen this mentioned in "sexy scent" threads but to my nose this is more about power and magnetism in a bottle!
10.0/10

Noir de Noire by TomFord
really it is amazing fragrance , you feel that you are a full of fragrances experience when you wear it, try it you will enjoy :)
7.5 10.0 10.0/10

Swoon worthy
If you want a straightforward, this-is-how-it-smells account of Noir de Noir you should read Flaconneur’s review (below). His description is perfect. Seriously, spot on, absolutely perfect. Not only does he list the same elements I discern in Noir de Noir but his descriptions so closely resemble my own associations (semi-sweet chocolate?!) it’s as though he’s channelled the experience straight from my imagination. Well, except that even in my imagination I don’t write nearly as well as Flaconneur. Anyway, since Flac has taken care of all that I’m going to opt for a more visceral take on this incredible fragrance.

Noir de Noir puts me into a wonderful state of sensory overload. It’s like being slightly buzzed on perfume. As a matter of fact, if I could afford to drink the stuff, I probably would. It’s a warm cloud of chocolate liquor and roses lightly dusted with cocoa talc and tinged with the sweaty, pheromone laced notes of saffron, truffles and oud.
Oh, dear lord, I'm starting to feel a little weak just thinking about it.
The scent of Noir de Noir is one of the few things in life that can cause me to swoon. Yeah, me, the guy who would otherwise be terrified of simply uttering the word “swoon” in public is swooning.
Hang on a sec, I’m still feeling a little flushed.
If you want to ratchet up the effect of Noir de Noir even more then I suggest you try this layering recipe for 'Rose Infused Grand Marnier Chocolates': Let’s say you and your significant other are going out for a nice, intimate dinner. You will, of course, be wearing Noir de Noir. Your companion, however, should wear an orange-neroli fragrance like Serge Lutens’ Fleur d’Orange.
Oh. Dear. Lord. I feel a swoon coming on…

LicoriceRain
Very tart, not enough character. Linear, nothing underneath.
The fact that it seems linear to me isn’t a problem, but it certainly isn’t good enough to justify a purchase. Plum Japonais is a much better scent, but it also suffers from weak construction. The name “Noir de Noir” is pretentious and misleading: nothing “noir” about it. In fact, I think it’s quite… bright. If I were Tom Ford, I would be embarrassed by both the scent AND the name.
5.0 5.0 8.0/10

Dulcemio
a modern rose for the modern nose
Looking at the list of notes here, I expected Noir de Noir to be an earthy gem built on moss, oud and patchouli, with some full-bodied rose for balance, and a little saffron adding exotic interest to the top notes. Instead, what I find here is just about the exact opposite of that: a sweet, sheer, unobtrusive floriental built mostly on a natural smelling rose note and some gentle vanilla. Earthy it is not.

Noir de Noir pairs rose and vanilla beautifully, and carries from top to base a hint of ever-so-slightly tart fruit that doesn't seem to be explained by the notes listed here. It is lovely, and is what all smooth and pleasant rose/vanilla collaborations should aspire to. Rochas Tocade *wishes* it were Noir de Noir. :-)

Rose is a note that I seem to enjoy most when it plays a subordinate or supportive role within a bustling ensemble. Chanel No. 19 comes to mind. Which is why I was hoping the patchouli, oud and moss would be louder in Noir de Noir, much, much louder.

For anyone madly in love with la diva Rose, however, I think it's a must-try. It's not your grandma's or your mama's rose perfume. It's young and hip and au courant.
7.5 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Dark, brooding rose
I hardly expected to find love on the tube in London...but my heart missed a beat!

The tube is a good place to encounter smells, but usually they are not the pleasant kind....this time I got lucky! A striking, long-limbed, beautiful black woman was sitting not far from me. She was captivatingly beautiful in an androgenous, artsy, Shoreditch way.

I was deep in conversation with my boyfriend when my head snapped round, my nose on full twitch... a stunning deep, treacly, oud rose with a woodsy twist filled my nostrils. The dark bottle she was holding was unmistakably Tom Ford.....but which??!! Poor girl. I hope I didn't come across as too much of a perfume psycho.

I received a beautiful bottle of Noir de Noir this birthday - some love from my love. To me this is a scent of real, deep love. Not first love or infatuation, not maternal love, nor passionate love, but intense, romantic love. Beautiful. Timeless.

The scent is blended to perfection & smells like liquid gold pouring over molten woods & love letters scattered with the darkest of rose petals. The oud is present, but not over-powering & the deep, ambery sweetness is tempered by some patch-love & an earthy herbal twist. I am an oriental-lover & chypres can sometimes turn my stomach, but when they are done well I tend to adore them. Noir is mixed perfectly.

Great sillage & lasting power - but not to the point of vulgarity. Just enough evolution & interest to keep you on your toes but not so much as to be loud, unclassy or confused. Inky black with a touch of scarlet, flecked with gold leaf. “The rose speaks of love silently, in a language known only to the heart.”

A dark beauty & a real heart-stealer.
7.5 5.0 7.5 7.0/10

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford
Noir de Noir is part of the Tom Ford Private Blend collection. It might be of interest to those of you who love a layered rose scent. It starts off with an opening that is very much about saffron. Noir de Noir is smoothly blended, so much so that the saffron is mildly detected under the sweet rising heart note of semi-sweet chocolate. There is a bit of an alcohol wave here that is like a candied dark liqueur, warm and smooth. Once the liqueur sensation gives way, Noir de Noir opens up to a brooding, dark rose and truffle scent. The heart notes take their time settling in, and it isn't until the dry-down that you can appreciate the blending of the vanilla, rose, truffle and chocolate hovering over a slightly earthy patchouli. There was some confusion by Noir de Noir in the beginning by its imposing dark and mysteriously sweet personality. This fragrance walks a fine line as being unisex and is just a tad more feminine that Tom Ford would like you to believe. Sample first, but it might be love at it first sniff.
5.0 7.5 7.5 6.0/10

A heavy oriental
I was introduced to Noir de Noir by a sales assistant as I was testing Black Orchid. He claimed that this fragrance was similar, yet richer. I'm not so convinced.

I'm surprised to discover that some find similarities between this fragrance and Bond No.9's West Side also, which is a fragrance I am very familiar with. I honestly can't compare Noir de Noir to anything.

It's a deep, rich and rooted fragrance to my nose. The oud wood and patchouli notes smell very musty and concentrated, and the rose is present in a tart-like fashion, neither soft nor feminine like you'd expect it to be. Noir de Noir has guts and masculine tendencies, it's fascinating but a little too much for me sometimes.

For some reason the vanilla note is sharp on my skin, perhaps even a little medicinal. I think I'll blame the spices and saffron for making this an odd yet strangely desirable fragrance.

The drydown is the best part in my opinion. It's here that the rose takes on a more traditional role and the heavy earthy notes mellow ever so slightly. I am able to breathe and sigh with relief upon discovering that this fragrance can be polite and friendly at times.

The longevity is excellent, as it should be, and the overall impression that it gave me was a good one. It's not for me, but this fragrance has been worth discovering.
9.0/10

Awesomeness
I love this but HIS opinion counts too.
He says, "I'm smelling something I don't normally smell when I come into your office. Feet? Dog? What's that smell?" I scramble for skin, shove my wrist to his nose. He says, "That's it, I should have known better."

It was Tom Ford Noir de Noir.

AmberScent 8 months ago
Noir de Noir gives a strong feeling of class and sophistication but with medium projection, the correct behavior for any superior fragrance.+3
DavidBraz 8 months ago
An amazing rose with a dark chocolate patchouly undertone. There is something alcoholic that enances the rest. My favourite TF along with OW+4
10.0

by R0din
by Splashfrag12
by Splashfrag12

Popular Tom Ford

Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Black Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme by Tom Ford Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Neroli Portofino (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Velvet Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford For Men (Eau de Toilette) by Tom Ford White Patchouli by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Violet Blonde by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford Soleil Blanc (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Italian Cypress by Tom Ford