Oud Minérale 2017

Oud Minérale by Tom Ford
Oud Minérale is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for women and men and was released in 2017. The scent is aquatic-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Megamare

Oud, Pink pepper, Seagrass, Spindrift

Submitted by Gonsada, last update on 18.10.2020.

Love on the 2nd nose
It took me a while to learn to appreciate oud minerals. And this although I like the PB fragrances of Tom Ford in the majority of cases.
At the airport in Birmingham before our return flight we had some time, so off to the duty freeing ;). Magically this TF corner always attracts me. With the other "createurs" nothing can knock me off at the moment. Actually, I wanted to sniff the fucking fabulous test sniffing, which I did, but somehow no "connection" between the scent and me. The seller said he would like oud minerals too. So I pulled this one through my nose. Oh, it's very tart and "rough". That was my first impression. Almost too much for me. Well, you don't have much time at the airport. So I was brave once and bought oud minerals.
Only after wearing it for the 3rd / 4th time, I suddenly noticed how good I like the scent and how great it develops in my body. Meanwhile one of my favourite "little waters". I am glad to have taken it at that time
Reinventing the wheel
"He didn't reinvent the wheel either" - I often read this saying in the context of Tom Ford fragrances, especially when it comes to his works from the Private Blend series.

To start this commentary with a small digression into the past, one should know that the wheel was invented around the 4th millennium BC and is considered an important milestone in the history of mankind.
So, according to the Duden, whoever reinvents the wheel does either
(I) something senseless, since the wheel already exists OR
(II) improves something already existing OR
(III) develops something already existing new.

The phrase therefore often also refers to a meaningful, innovative modification of something that already exists.

Tom Ford, especially his scents from the Private Blend line, often split the minds and during various discussions about these same scents, opinions differ: Some hypnotize certain scents, others detest them. A classic example of this would be "Fucking Fabulous", of which one often reads that Tom Ford "didn't reinvent the wheel" here, while others praise the fragrance to the skies and would love to take a bath in it. Other examples of this phenomenon include "Tobacco Oud", "Tuscan Leather" and "Neroli Portofino". Particularly with the latter one reads very often that Tom Ford did not reinvent the wheel, because "Neroli Portofino" is in the eyes of many people only a copy of 4711.
And if a large part of the crowd finds a fragrance good, such as Oud Wood, for example, then the durability is criticized.

Yes, dear Tom is having a hard time, too.

I see Tom Ford as a great artist, yes, a brilliant creator of timeless art. For his skill alone in making M7 oud notes available to the general public in a designer fragrance, and thus setting a milestone in the history of perfume, this phenomenal master deserves respect.
And even though many of his fragrances, especially from the Private Blend line, are ghostly, you have to give him credit for one thing: Contrary to what is often claimed, he is constantly reinventing the wheel.

So also with Oud Minerale, which I would like to bring closer to you in the following comment:

Combining aquatic notes with oud - no one has ever managed to do that before. At least not in such a widely accessible form.

Admittedly, at first I was sceptical about the fragrance and did not even bother to like it or even appreciate it.
But when dear Invein wrote me a few weeks ago that the production of the fragrance should be stopped and I had verified this in various other forums, I ordered two bottles of this fragrance half-blind. Because, as I already said, even though I had tested the fragrance a few times before, I didn't get really warm with it - and yet there was something fascinating about it. Something that I can finally describe now that the fragrance is in my possession and is worn almost daily.

Now the scent...

[b]upbeat[/b]
The prelude starts harsh, unconventional and sweeping:
We are located in Halifax, directly on the Atlantic coast. It's a stormy, grey day.
One or two splashes of the scent and we find ourselves on a wooden jetty, just outside the above mentioned small town. The rough Atlantic coast in front of our eyes, the rough wind blowing around our ears, the air smelling of sea salt and algae, we look at the roaring sea and the grey sky. The waves are so gigantic that we cannot see the horizon.
At the jetty there is a modern speed boat, but it is currently being repaired. You can clearly smell the engine oil and fuel that the boat will later run on.

[b]Heart note[/b]
We are now on the boat, going out into the open sea. Although the sea has calmed down a little bit and the waves are fortunately not as high as a house anymore, nevertheless, it still swings enormously and again and again the rough spray whips around our ears. One can clearly smell the salty water of the sea and also the algae do not hold back. I don't hear the engine oil so strongly anymore, but all the more I hear the fuel with which the boat thunders over the waves and its exhaust fumes, which alternate with the smell of the sea around my nose.
The driver of the boat, a good friend who makes a lot of money in the city and always goes out on weekends to collect driftwood, happily sings "Yellow Submarine".
He needs the driftwood to decoratively pimp his chic city apartment with exclusive pieces of wood. He loves it when his guests come and enviously examine the beautiful individual pieces, which have probably been washed back and forth in the Atlantic for years, if not decades, and thereby acquired their charm and speciality.
The driftwood in the boat smells strongly of the sea: of salt, of fish, of shell limestone, of algae and also somewhat of rot. But the combination of all these scents also makes it somehow irresistible not to be able to reach for it.
Yeah, it smells like freedom. It smells like adventure. Of mysticism and the endless expanses of the rough Atlantic.

[b]Base note[/b]
Back on the safe land with solid ground under our feet again, we make ourselves comfortable on the sofa after a hot shower and a nice warming drink and watch our buddy sorting his driftwood.
Again and again the above mentioned notes rise and the longing grows to go out again tomorrow.
But I can't... tomorrow we go back to the city, back to the office and back to everyday life. If only I could at least take the scent with me...

[b]Conclusion[/b]
I know that the description above sounds at first glance expansive and rather unusual for a fragrance of which you have two bottles.
But let me tell you: The scent is really something!
Even if the individual fragrances may seem rather "deterrent" or "unconventional", they become an incredibly beautiful, yes, really great fragrance experience when blended (I know, a rather unusual term in this context). In the context of the numerous compliments I receive when I wear this fragrance, I hear one adjective in particular that probably best describes the fragrance: "wonderfully different!

Those who wear oud minerals will inevitably attract attention. But in a very positive context. So far there hasn't been a negative reaction to this fragrance, although my partner in particular is rather delicate about fragrances. At work, too, there has been a constant stream of compliments for a good week now.

Oud Minerale is a newcomer, a wooden-oudig aquat, which with its individual nuances mixed into a unique composition awakens longing and thirst for adventure in each individual - and at the same time smells just so extraordinarily different from all the fresh mainstreamers.

But the most beautiful thing about this fragrance is the wide, almost endless range of uses for which this EDP can be used: This scent is a great scent to use anywhere, whether on a plane, in the office, in the gym, on the beach, at the Christmas market, at a family dinner or on a date.

All year around - my new singing scent.
Eboolas
Tom Ford London? Tom Ford Hamburg! Love of the port city...
When you walk through the Elbe beach in Hamburg, your feet get dirty. Diesel tankers pump exhaust fumes into the air, the port is constantly toiling. It's rough, you might think - but I know you feel incredibly comfortable in this city. Because in all the routine there is a calm and a self-image of togetherness, which is not at all strikingly affectionate, but respectful and true.

Even the streets full of glamour have something very set in their appearance, there is no such thing as chic, or is not well received, and is not Hamburg at all. But I have never smelled a fragrance that screamed for Hamburg as much as this one. With this scent I feel comfortable in Hamburg, then when it rains, as so often. Because it is the distillate of what I like so much about the city. Maritime notes join a gentle and reserved elegance - the fragrance doesn't scream: Yes, here I am! Look at me! Instead, it radiates a calm and incredible power, it is diverse and interesting, it is rough and carries the soul of the sea.

It is the fragrance for all those who want to make a sedate, calm and therefore all the more mysterious impression. If you think with the standard designer aquatic scents and sparkling citrus scents that you are screaming too much without having an effect, this is the right place for you. Oud Mineralé or as he is called: Tom Ford Hamburg. It has a unique effect and yet remains down-to-earth, it is cosy and pleasing, and yet remains calm and rough and windy.

What a pity that this fragrance is discontinued - I have only just fallen in love with this fragrance
A maritime rendezvous in Oceania
Oud minerals. A name I didn't really know that much about in the beginning. A short anecdote first:

I first smelled him over a year ago at a friend's house. I hadn't sprayed any fragrance on it, so he offered me to try his newest acquisition, the Oud Minerals. We were out in the evening and later we went to a Shishabar. And what can I say, although there are more clouds of smoke and scent in the Shishabar than barley on malt in a brewery, he was always present. The Oud Minerals found its way to my nose at all times. I was fascinated. The next morning I aired my sweater, because I find the cold smoke that collects in clothes repulsive. But what remained after airing it out? Right, the oud minerals.

That much up front. From that moment on I always wanted to have the fragrance, but I was always too stingy to pay the price. But times have changed, after all I am a Parfumo member now ;-) (my poor purse) and now I am the proud owner of a bottle for a short time.

When sprayed on, the fragrance opens directly with a refreshment a la sea breeze. It is difficult to describe what is happening here. On the one hand it is aquatic and fresh, on the other hand it is also salty, peppery and woody. This combination is unique and not known to me in this way. Especially for Tom Ford it's often Hit or Miss, but this one really pleases just about everybody.

The durability is really enormous for me and it happens over hours that I can breathe a breath of holiday. Especially in the current time a privilege not to be underestimated.

The Sillage is good, you are definitely noticed, but it is also not too obtrusive not to wear it in the office.

It's a real pity that the TF was hired, but the better to finally own it now.
Treiboud
An aquatic scent is what I was missing in my collection. I decided to buy the Oud Minerale about a year ago, but I haven't been able to bring myself to buy it yet. The main reason for this is that the price is slightly higher than the offered Sillage.

But now I've finally gotten around to buying it. At Douglas', there was another 20% promotion and I took the deal.

The fragrance smells to me like driftwood in an extraordinarily salty sea. Must be a very decadent sea if there's eagle wood floating around in it. The oud can be smelled out here, but it's still very tamed and subdued. If you smell only oud mineral, you won't know what oud smells like. But it all fits together perfectly.

I would most likely wear the fragrance on an evening in a beach bar or in a Greek restaurant. You can wear the fragrance on the beach during the day, but it is already a very dark aquatic DNA. So I would probably wear Costa Azzurra during the day and then add Oud Mineral in the evening. So suppose Costa Azzurra was part of my collection. But what is not yet, can still become.

The durability is rock solid and the projection is far from very good, but still quite ok, especially in the first hour after spraying.

Conclusion: The dream of every summer evening with Sillage in need of improvement, so that it would be even better. Recommendation to buy! Cheers
Man On The Rocks
After years of reading along here at Parfumo, I finally dare to write a little text about my favorite fragrance, Oud Minerals. Several little birds have told me that it will probably be discontinued in this form soon, so I couldn't help but appreciate it (and quickly save 450 ml as a backup ;-) !

The first time I smelled him about 2 years ago in a noble department store in our city, after I had snooped through the Tom Ford counter. And what I smelled there confused me a lot at first; I'm not very good at smelling or describing single scents, but for me there was a little bit of petrol, a lot of salt water, something algae like, but still dry as dust... well, I thought to myself, I have to show it to Mrs. Roxx later. I had the scent on a test strip, all free parts of my body were already full of other scents of this counter. All the way to my car I held the strip in my hand, and I had to sniff it all the time. In the car I could finally show it to the woman; "yes, I think not bad, but here it smells like three hundred different perfumes..." great. The test strip ended up - for whatever reason - on a clip on the sun visor of my car
When I got back in the car after the weekend to drive to work, I started the playlist with my favorite songs and "Man On The Rocks" by Mike Oldfield was played. And I thought to myself: this is it! Exactly this is what it smells like! As if the car had been standing on a cliff over the sea somewhere all the time, with open windows. I pulled out the strip - it smelled just as intense as two days before when I sprayed it, only better. Now I knew: I wanted it! He wanted me! But that price...all in all I hesitated for a few more months, but really every time I smelled the strip behind my sun visor, the scent was still there - I swear, even after 5 or 6 weeks with slowly decreasing intensity. I've never had one like it before!

In the end, he made it, and I treated myself to 50 ml of it. And it quickly became my most used fragrance over the spring, summer and autumn, I would even go so far as to call it my signature fragrance by now. For me everything is right with Oud Minerals: the individuality, that ocean feeling, the durability - fragrances never last very long for me. For the colder days I also own Tobacco Oud, which is supposed to be a durability monster, but only lasts 4 hours on my skin. I still notice my oud minerals on my pillowcase two days later Even Mrs. Roxx has become a fan, because she thinks that he simply suits me, as a great friend of sun, beach and sea, who unfortunately lives in the wrong country.

Today my probably last order of a 100 ML flacon arrived at my place. It will take quite a while until my supplies are used up, but damn - I will miss him!
The driftwood
On those distant northern shores,
Where fern moss jungles
encountering the cold ocean,
There's a gray driftwood One of the great big ones
That now rests there and thinks for itself:

Where am I here?
How did I get here?
What all happened? Where did the waters take me? what have I seen?

Wasn't I once
So beautiful and strong,
So full of life, full of pride?
But now the wind has broken me Now I'm just old wood!
What am I rotten and bleached,
Overgrown by algae.
Washed out by salty spray!
But my core, my true self I'm not losing the wood!
And on these northern shores Where grey sky falls into the sea,
It's always full of storms there.
But today there are wafts of mist They soften everything around me
Now I'll rest here >br /> And dream softly,
than the tide change ball,
that new life sprouts from me
If only by moss infestation.
Strong surf
A very present and really long-lasting fragrance, it smells of rough, fizzy sea, salty, dark, strong and stunningly beautiful. A compliment to the man who wears it and to whom it suits. It's not for gentle, reserved and careful men. I think he draws you right into his spell with his somehow cool metallic expression. Seaweed and spray - this becomes green, a little bit bitter, strong fragrance immediately dispersing into the air rises from the sea, which one pulls deep into one's lungs - great! Very unusual, the oud is bound in a way that it doesn't smell very woody but rather like ancient ship planks with all the stored smells that have ever touched the ground. A fragrance for me with a very high recognition value. For men who still want to live out this unpolished and sometimes also rough soul and then return to the always welcome warm harbour of their beloved. A piece of this pirate soul we women love very much....but also has its price even if you need very little. But here you hold a special treasure in your hands !
Arrived!
I can't say much about myself here. Paradox, because one of the most wonderful fragrances ever! Since I'm at parfumo "swimming signature fragrances", because a lot is quite great!
But this one? I was right in love! Aquatic? Yes! Salty? Yes! Still fresh, somehow yes! And yes, he stops and yes, he has Sillage! But not an overflowing one! One is taken! But (at least for me) always positive!
I just feel comfortable with you, Oud Minerale, although you were a stepchild for a long time..., to the beginning of a long friendship!

Water and fire...
The whole beauty of this amazing, unique fragrance is the idea of water and fire, contradiction which breeds perfection.
Oud and seaweed are the main parts of this fragrance, they coexist in a way I could have never imagined and have created something which could never be cloned outside of tom ford, it is a true masterpiece in its own respect.
This fragrance is totally worth the price but not a blind buy .

TombbbTombbb 119 days ago
Salty, refreshing, and with oudy depth at the same time. Very interesting and versatile
PioPio 19 months ago
This one stands out from the rest of TF private line. Its name says it all. Minerals, oud and fresh notes giving life to a lovely scent.
HermeshHermesh 3 years ago
Authentic smelling sea water, well combined with dense tart, slightly fruity notes. Rather masculine, stylish & nice to wear.

...splash
by Montexx
by Skjomi
by Skjomi

Popular Tom Ford

Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather 16 by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Lost Cherry by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Beau de Jour (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud Intense by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Vert d'Encens by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua by Tom Ford Amber Absolute by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford White Suede (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Lavender Extrême by Tom Ford