Oud Wood (2007) Eau de Parfum

Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford

Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for women and men and was released in 2007. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Richard Herpin

Top Notes Top NotesCardamom, Rosewood, Pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesOud, Sandalwood, Vetiver
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 24.03.2019

8.0 9.0 8.0 10.0/10
SoNicht
Is it still love or already addiction?
Tom Fords Oud Wood is not only the first perfume I've written a comment about, it's the reason I'm registered here, even the reason I'm even into perfumes.

One day I entered a perfumery unsuspectingly, tried myself through various scents until I got stuck with it. Already after the first sprayer a loud WOW was kidnapped. It's unbelievable. Best thing I ever smelled. Simply unbelievable. The price was even more incomprehensible for me as a student at that time, I would never spend so much money on a perfume. I sprayed myself with a strip and took it with me to be able to smell it again at least at home. At home I couldn't help but smell it all the time, even dreamt of the smell at night, woke up in the morning, got into the car like in a trance, drove into the perfumery, took the 100ml bottle from the shelf, went to the checkout, still in a trance put my card into the terminal, entered my code, and took the smell home. I haven't looked at my account since then.

I have to say that I had never been interested in perfumes before and had only ever ordered some well rated perfumes on Amazonia. But this scent knocked me over so much that I started to deal directly with perfumes, registered me on this page and meanwhile I sniffed my way through more than 30 bottlings only in the hope to be able to repeat this unique experience of a scent knocked over in such a way, this has unfortunately not happened until today yet. I think the scent was really love at first sniff. If it wasn't so expensive I wouldn't wear anything else.

What should I say about this unique fragrance? When I am sad he conjures a smile on my face, when I feel lonely I smell the scent and feel secure, when I have to face unpleasant situations he takes away my fear.

For me this fragrance is not only a 10/10, no it is also the reference for any other fragrance.

The final word I would like to address to you Tom: Thank you.

10.0 9.0 8.0 10.0/10
Steini23
That's my idea of a man made!
What can I say about this scent? I'm not an expert at filtering out individual fragrances but what I can say is that the fragrance smells very woody intense and sweet. This fragrance has a charisma that I have rarely experienced. I just love this scent! And to the people who are upset about the price..... I am glad that it is so expensive, because only in this way a fragrance can remain at least relatively RAR and you can't smell it at every corner! But maybe it's because not everyone can wear it! One should radiate a certain attitude, self-confidence, because this is the only way the scent works if one wants to attract attention! For me, the best Tom Ford fragrance!
9.0 9.0 7.0 9.5/10
What a wonderful twist
At the beginning I felt you as exhausting which caused a slight pull in the head/brain area ...
But you have something Tom... Why don't you sit down with me and let me have some effect on you? Cause I'm sure - you can do more...
Stay a little longer and don't go back... you will only now, after you have stopped talking exclusively about OUD, sympathetically ....
After the topic of equal rights has met with your approval, we can become best friends.

The balance of this perfume after the drydown is impressive - only you have to survive it! The interaction between OUD, vanilla and the wood is a small masterpiece which I don't want to miss anymore and which could replace THE Aventus.

Cheers - to you Tom !

10.0 7.0 8.0 9.5/10
Grand Bazaar of Fragrances
For more than 11 years now, the fragrance has enchanted the perfume world. To me, the scent came out as a great birthday present. Until now, as a student, I had unfortunately not the opportunity to call this fragrance my own.
But now to the perfume.
Flacon: The flacon is simple yet beautiful and noble.

Scent: Wow! This is my first comment and I dedicate it to this great fragrance. :)
Already with the first sprayer the smell killed me. A spice bomb. And somehow the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul shot me in the head. A wonderful place that has more to offer for some connoisseurs than counterfeit goods. Vaults that are so old that when you enter the bazaar you think you've been catapulted into the past. Artists who earn their daily living with paintings on ceramics. Dealers who offer antiques from long ago. Immigrants who secure their livelihood by cleaning their shoes, the sometimes unfriendly tourists. Sweets dealers who offer soo delicious sweets - every dentist is happy about that. And much more... And the spice merchants who offer spices from all over the world, and everything so close together that the smell kills you. Does it smell like cinnamon or oregano or vanilla or or or... And it was the same with the first sprayer. For one or the other this may sound quite colorful and negative. Not for me, I like the spice explosion, and the versatility - which reminds me of the bazaar. :)

H/S are unfortunately not as good as the Grand Bazar and the price as the smell... Still quite acceptable.

8.0 7.0 8.0 10.0/10
DerOlli
Yeah, wow! No... yet... hm... Absolutely, you pretty boy!!!
So, or something like that, I was testing Oud Wood from Ford. I can still remember exactly the moment when it was sprayed on my skin for the first time in Hamburg in the Alsterhaus on paper and quickly afterwards. I already thought I had reached my goal of having found the holy Grahl of perfume for me, so much enthusiasm set in for me.

When I look at the fragrance pyramid, it doesn't surprise me either, because almost all of the fragrances listed are way ahead of my time and one can already speak of polygonal love.

Unfortunately a first wave of disillusionment followed after a few hours - I heard the shelf life as well as the Sillage as something too weak for such an outstanding smell, in which the Oud, after all partly name-giving, was used so rudimentarily and finely that it is for me the most beautiful of the smells with the noble wood.

But appearances were deceptive or my nose played a trick on me. The durability, was not at all too weakly pronounced because it may dim down on my skin relatively fast, but then it remains on my skin for about 10 hours + on average.

For me, the Sillage is an absolute example of how to be sophisticated, elegant, gallant and gentleman, and how to play her ace again for special moments when body heat comes to bear. Chapeau!

The first experience didn't let me go and I got a sample of the scent and after frequent testing, quite normal, after the morning ritual, freshly sprayed on, my enthusiasm and my love for this scent grew immeasurable.

A vacation in New York was imminent and my companion should be the 4ml sample Oud Wood. I can't help but say that this fine water had a decisive influence on my holiday and stay and that both things, the city and the scent, became complementary goods for me. A perfect match and my love grew again. The memories of this impressive city are accentuated by which for me with the best fragrance on the market and remain unforgettable.

Finally bought and moved into a marriage-like community, our love is unshakeable to this day.

Should, should, should I only have one fragrance left - it would be Oud Wood, with this incredibly beautiful vibe in the base, a big heart and a pretty head.

I bow down.
9.0 9.0 10.0 10.0/10
Journey to foreign territories
The young lady at Dougles in Kärntnerstraße took the time to allow me a little trip through the world of Tom Ford's fragrances. With this scent I got caught between Tibetan temples and their incense, paired with the aroma of a Highlandpark whisky of longer aging. Later, sweeter components also appear, to finally linger in a Japanese teahouse, the scent still hangs on my hand, soft and yet expressive. One of the best scents I was allowed to smell.
8.0 8.0 9.0 9.5/10
Classic for almost 12 years
Many fragrances come and go and the industry experts know: if a fragrance does not make it to the top within the first six months, it never does - and more than 90% of all fragrances therefore disappear relatively quickly behind the scenes to make room for new releases. Tom Ford's Oud Wood is certainly one of those who will still be on the shelves five years from now.

Actually my penchant for oud is a very limited one, because for some years now the market has been virtually flooded with fragrances of this colour and by no means with class but rather with mass. In this respect, I was skeptical of Mahr when the saleswoman of my trust recommended a test to me. All right, let's have a sniff. A sprayer on a Zewa, this briefly waved through the air, please. Ooohhhooo, wow. This is no Billigheimer, here was a professional at work, chapeau! Cardamom and pepper open the nasal pleasure, then from my point of view the oud comes through very quickly, which lasts until the end and this end is gaaaaaaaanz long. Amber and Tonka form the final chord, the vanilla mentioned in the pyramid I could not really identify.

This fragrance is close to the Gesamtkunstwerk and therefore the enormously high ratings are fully justified. Although the fragrance bends enormously around the corner and completely envelops the wearer - for hours! - it is never intrusive, but a very fine composition of the same ingredients. Sillage and durability like OW itself at a very high level. It's hard not to fall into raptures here.

Even if by definition unisex, I see rather the masters of creation wearing this fragrance, and the whole preferably in autumn and winter, where the aromas come to full advantage. I also don't see teenies as Mr Tom Ford's customers, but the man who is aware of it, stands in the middle of life and is willing to leaf through a few bills for such a noble product. Knowing I've acquired a super scent. Who, considering the low dosage, will provide pleasure for years to come. Clear recommendation to buy.
9.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10
Strandpirat
It took me, believe it or not, 4 years to find him again... FINALLY!
well, a long search has come to a successful end today.

It must have been in 2014 or 2015 when this Private Blend series from Tom Ford was relatively new to Douglas. Like so often Christmas bustle, running around, a conglomerate of X smells, background noise to run away, whining mobile 'terror units', everything all over the place. OH, MY GOD! There comes Christmas spirit...laugh*
Of course you have to go in to the turquoises and "diesel in". In the DOUFTLaden it was of course full and crowdy like anything else. Especially with this chain I always develop a behaviour train shortly after entering the shop, which I don't know at all from myself. I try to avoid any eye contact, let alone dialogue - with the exception of the time of day greeting - with the servants, in order to escape the eagle-stealing sales conversation as undamaged as possible. In the eagerness of the fight a somewhat overzealous salesman approached me and pressed me a before sprayed smell strip into the hand with the comment " Try times this, this is really class ".
I could just still suppress my annoyed eye rolling, but took the strip to get rid of it again - so the seller - . Once briefly sniffed at it " Yes, quite ok " But I had somehow not the head for it to let myself in also something. So get out of the store and get to the car.
I had put the strip in some little jacket pocket and totally forgot. About a week later I found the strip again and sniffed it. Oh, that smells good....
Unfortunately, I didn't know what that guy had sprayed on the strip.
Well, that's how the guesswork started. In the meantime I had - due to other life circumstances - banished the scent to the back room. And last but not least, when I read something about Tom Ford here, especially about the Private Blend Collection, I thought about it like onion tears "they were relatively new back then, and they like to be marketed progressively". That could have been one of them, but which one?

Today I took the time (the super sympathetic saleswoman, too, by the way) and tested all possible candidates and "drumroll" Oud Wood was it....in my nose an ingenious, horny scent, which you can wear both in the office and for festive evening occasions. Tom Ford Fragrances Have generally done me a lot lately.
Already on the way back from the city, I have felt 376x at the wrist sniffed....:-))))))))))))
8.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10
Cloeed
It's that time of the year..
Finally the days are getting cooler again and Oud Wood can let it crack again. I had to ask a good friend indiscreetly what he was wearing... I indulged myself in this gold piece. Normally the application of oud fragrances ends with me feeling like I've been soaking in pig excrement but this one remains pleasantly solid, very present but consistently pleasant. Not an exclusive men's scent! One splash is enough to make it through the day, the Sillage is bombastic! Great scent for cold days.
8.0 7.0 7.0 7.5/10
A comment(s)
Now I sit here and ask myself how I can best write a comment on Oud Wood and read the comment below me, or the comments on it. Such comments, which don't say much about the fragrance, are not very popular, I started out that way and know what I'm talking about. Sometimes they are too long, sometimes too short, don't say much, or don't get to the point.

Altogether there are some writing styles and that gave me the idea to try a few styles.
So here are several comments united.
I'll start with a factual comment:
The beginning of the perfume is briefly sweet, then quickly changes into a wood note into something medical, which I attribute to the oud. Later, Tonka and vanilla make it a little milder. A fragrance that is very wearable when it is cooler outside. Pleasant to wear, but the durability is not so bulging with me, after 5-6h the stove was off. I also find it rather unemotional. I promised myself more of that, but I didn't find it exciting now. Nice halt.

An emotional comment would look like this:
Boah, that yes a hammer smell, equal 5-6 sprayers and I have flown away, the birds by the way also, but so horny the stuff, I felt really GETOMFORD. Hammer horny. Oud of the finest baby. I've got pee-pee in my eyes because it's so beautiful. Hach. But then I was missing something, that made me so infinitely sad, I cried to myself for a long time.

An analytical comment looks like this:
Top note:Sweetish/peppery fresh
Heart note: Holzig
Base note: Mild sweetness
Shelf life: about 6h
Flacon: Quite nice
Price: Happig
Conclusion: A beautiful fragrance, but without climaxes as other fragrances have

A poetic comment:
It is night, it is in the forest and the eagle owl starts to sing at midnight.
Listen, to the footsteps of a pilgrim, who approaches the eagle wood lonely through the forest, gives the necessary hold to the solid shoes in the vetiver, when he jumped onto a clearing and shouted out into the roaring night "I am it...Robin Oud"......the pepper with vanilla, ne...the saviour of the Antilles, ne also not...damn, who am I and if so how many?

A cautious comment would look like this:
I don't think it's bad, but that's just my opinion, I don't want to hurt anybody who thinks it's really good, but I'm missing a little bit for all the money you have to pay, but I understand everyone who likes it and even if I'm missing something personally, that doesn't mean it's bad. I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot. I'm totally sorry if I see it differently now and I hope you don't hate me.

A very personal comment could be as follows:
I once knew someone who smelled the same and every time I sniff that scent I think of that person. It then tempts me again and again to return to this one place in my mind and all that only Oud Wood gives me. His cardamom and wood combined with oud and vanilla achieve this with me, even though I might not even wear it myself, I think it's quite nice.

A confident comment:
Oud Wood is a good fragrance, no matter what others say. Beautiful woody with minimal sweetness. Nothing's too much for me here, but I'm missing that certain something. For the price I expect more, the other way around for less one could buy it. I don't care if I'm messing with it, that's my opinion and I stand by it. I've been at Parfumo for so long and know my way around, I know it's like this.

A non-viewing comment:
Good scent that you can wear well and I'm sure that it looks good to many.

A provocative comment:
Are you serious? I don't know, but Tom Ford can do better than that. Somehow the fragrance is relatively unexciting and doesn't know what is so expensive here. I cannot join the many cheering arias and yes I have already smelled worse, but honestly also much better. What's wrong with you guys? He smells the same all the time. LAAAAAAAAAANGWEILIG!!!!

Comic comment that breaks through the 4th wall:
BÄM! I'm back, and since you know me, he knows exactly what's coming. Did you miss me? ARGH! Yes, I tested a scent again and wanted to tell you about it. What do you say? You've been waiting for this? BOING, let's go now. As you know, I like Tim Ford very much. MUHAHAHA I know it's Tom, but I always say Tim because I once knew someone who knew someone called that. I was fully curious, but well *SCHLUCHZ*, was now none of my wish list comes. *HEUL*

The not-at-point comment:
So in the beginning the earth was a fireball, then the dinosaurs came and now all sheiks drive Mercedes Benze. They burned wood for it and it's like making good wine, you need a good process. Recently I found a worm in a grape and thought the wine worms me. He doesn't have a magnetic cap. Then it somehow smelled like wood and I somehow lost my way.
A somewhat prolliger comment at the end:
That stuff's the bomb, that makes you king of any show age. Something else like Tom Ford ain't coming into my apartment anyway. Maybe Amouage and Parfums de Marly. Everything else is dirt anyway. The women are also totally on it and I have already received some compliments, how horny I would smell and so. He's very strong and you have to be. Nothing for pussies. I got the 250ml bottle right away. Fucking shit that always works for the ladies. Just stupid of them to wear that too.

---------
Did you meet any of them? You never do right by anybody, do you?
Schoorks Comment:
Let the people write their commissions and yes also I find some not well, because they do not say anything, but they do not hurt either. And everybody started small. Then rather a nice hint, how it works here so. I wish I had back then.
7.0 8.0 8.0 8.5/10
AnjaTom
A "superstar" who should be "welcome" in every collection!
Oud in perfection!
Not intrusive, but present! Not annoying, tenderly covetous at colder temperatures...
Starts with a certain freshness...(pepper?), but forms only after half an hour to hour its delicately wrapping fragrance nuances.
I lean myself far out of the window and claim it is the most beautiful TF ever!
My durability and silage is above everything! Riehce him after the next shower still!
It's expensive, but really worth its money!
With this piece of jewellery you won't touch anything, who likes provocative/ polarizing scents...is certainly wrong here!
Somebody's got to imitate that! Thumbs up for this masterpiece!
8.0 4.0 4.0 9.5/10
Tom Ford Oud Wood
One of the original pillars of Tom Ford's private blend line. In this review I recount two very different experiences I have had with this fragrance, hope you enjoy the video...

Sopfie207
Baby, I'm from New York...
Tom Ford Oud Wood. The name alone had been in my head for two years, but I didn't even dare to test the fragrance, because the bottle alone was so dominant and masculine for me...
Last year. I probably had the most unbelievable, greatest big experience in front of me: Four months New York City - no place in the world that could compare. I thought to myself before, because I associate many of my favourite fragrances with very special things: Maybe I'll find a good fragrance there. So far, so good, adventurers went off, they lived in the city and actually almost daily I strolled in the afternoon through the endless shops in Manhattan. A special place that had somehow cached me:
Macy's in Herald Square, 34th Street. Here there was simply EVERYTHING you could imagine... On the ground floor in the centre of this huge shopping hall... - the Macy's has with 10 floors an area of almost 200.000 m² (the KaDeWe 60.000 m², only a comparison) - there were all the big make up and perfume designers with their employees, who tried again and again to bait new customers. Even though this may have seemed strange to you as a European at first, I have to say: The products are beautifully laid out there and you can test everything immediately and a member of staff is always on site immediately. So I looked for a new fragrance and wandered through the corridors on the ground floor as my gaze fell on Tom Ford's stand. As a US-American designer brand they have of course all the current fragrances immediately available and as a tester only the large 250ml bottles with the loose glass stopper gradually side by side and one behind the other, so that the passerby can directly see this powerful overall front. My eyes fell on the Oud Wood bottle and I knew: Today I have to test it and the friendly lady gave me a test strip and told me by the way how many years I could get along with the big bottle, if I had to use it every day... as if I could only get by with one scent... ridiculous, I thought.
I was immediately positively surprised by the scent, if I could not absolve him from this animal note, but the woman assured me "it's unisex". I decided not to buy that day, because I had another perfume in mind (Galop d'Hermès), which seemed more unusual to me. In the evening I was still hanging on the test strip that the lady Oud Wood had sprayed on, as if paralyzed... but the fragrance had its price.
I've been back home for almost 6 months, I've already bought one or two perfumes and now I can say happily: I ordered a bottle of Oud Wood 30 ml yesterday and I'm looking forward to welcoming you next week. Because I know exactly on which imaginary journey this fragrance will accompany me...back to...
...New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made of
There's nothing you can't do
Now you're in New York
These streets will make you feel brand new
The big lights will inspire you
Hear it for New York
8.0 9.0 10.0 6.5/10
Oud - Syrup
Normally I try to avoid my comments being too sober. But, dear Oud Wood, you're just killing me! With my last strength I manage to publish my test notes here...:

- Here we go: Whoa, he's going full! Fresh leather, animalistic, newly bought shoes
- 4 hours later: oudig-ledriger impression remains, pepper gives freshness, strong Sillage, beautiful development
- 6 hours later: the fragrance becomes softer. Amber, tonka bean and vanilla? Most beautiful phase so far
- 7 hours later: Hm, has probably passed the zenith, somehow only smell shoe polish
- 8 hours later: Now he exaggerates it, too fat, too creamy, causes headaches, slowly gets me too much
- 16 hours later (the next morning) : After the shower still 50% of the initial silage! Is that a perfume or glue syrup?
- 24 hours later: Go away at last, you're annoying!
- 30 hours later: Don't be there tomorrow morning!!

"Oud Wood" is a good example for the fact that too long durability can destroy the most beautiful smell... *Air intake* ... Tom Ford fragrances are often clear statements rather than gentle flatterers... *Röchel* ... But you don't have to overdo it either... transcended practise... ü...
9.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10
The most beautiful Puma cage
I love it to stroll in the city, to look a little bit here, to look a little bit there - who knows what falls so unexpectedly in front of your feet. There is one constant: a side trip into a perfumery. This visit is as firmly anchored as the Amen in the Bible. I like to test and see what's new. It is not uncommon for fragrances to be tested, although it is well known how the fragrance smells, because you have tried it dozens of times. Do I hope for an "aha" effect?! I don't know, I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. Nevertheless, it is fun - and that is the main thing.

At some point, one of those days again, where you float almost thoughtlessly through the city, I naturally floated straight into a Douglas branch I didn't know at the time. Surprised by the fact that the assortment for niche fragrances was extremely lavish, which - except for niche topsellers - is not usual, I jumped at the fragrances as if from my senses. According to my girlfriend, the poor salesgirl barely followed. At some point she capitulated and just smiled friendly as a reaction to every bottle I brought along. Everything was there, Creeds, Atkinsons, Aqua di Parmas, Tom Fords and so on. My girlfriend just hung her nose over the coffee bean pot and got an annoyed headache at some point.

But there was one thing that both she and I kept in mind: Oud Wood from Tom Ford. I found it all the more striking, in such a form that it was almost too unpleasant for me. My girlfriend gave it away as "the smell of a puma cage." Too harsh, too strong, she didn't like. The milder Aqua di Parma were more popular. I had completely forgotten in all this intoxication that I had ordered samples home, including TF Oud Wood, but only marginally. After 1.5 hours we left the branch again. Result: My girlfriend with Mon Guerlain in her luggage and me without.

Days later the handful of samples arrived, which I then tested peu a peu peu. Oud Wood was the first sample and after I applied it, the other fragrances were completely the same to me. I felt like I knew this scent, but I didn't know it. Completely different from the drugstore before. This scent so knocked me off my socks that I asked myself the serious question, why I had agreed with my girlfriend with the cougar in the cage?! The scent that I then had on my skin smelled incredibly warm, so inimitably distinctive, but soft at the same time. He's not hiding, he's present, but in an absolutely discreet way. I knew immediately that this fragrance would be obligatory at any cost. I was in love with that scent from the point of view.

Of course, I couldn't resist wearing it in front of my girlfriend. She sees me, she embraces me, she sniffs, she walks half a step away from me, she looks at me, one eyebrow up, the other down, sniffs the air around her, "what is that?... the puma cage?". I nod at her with a grin, she sniffs again, "he smells really good". Of course I am! Of course it smells good! Promptly I took the 30ml and know that every cent is well invested with this smell. For me the most beautiful smell of a puma cage!

9.0 7.0 7.0 8.5/10
Oud Wood..
Oud Wood. I tested him after I tested Tobacco Oud. I was just about to try out Tom Ford's. In direct comparison, Oud Wood seemed to be very weak, while Tobacco Oud was masculinity in person. But you should never test perfumes at the same time. I ordered Tobacco Oud, I thought. Oud Wood has come. OK, I'll keep it anyway, it smells good. And behold, after several applications, without testing Tobacco Oud at the same time, it has become one of my favourite fragrances. The fragrance is very smooth and balanced.

To the fragrance:
In short, it reminds me of a clean wellness area where I was with my father and siblings years ago. So a clean sauna with fresh wood and sweet (Katdamon-Vanille-ecetera-) infusion. No sweat, of course. Very smooth and cuddly fragrance. Does not smell overly male, but very good!

Simply a floating wooden slightly oudige sweet aura, which brings a smile to your face when you sniff it.

Enough kitsch, test recommendation!
9.0/10
Most wearable Oud Fragrance
Excellent Fragrance, though I did not like it on initial application, seemed another boring woody / Oudy composition but after a few wearings it becomes the most favourite Tom Ford replacing TF Extreme.

Don't Know about others but I do get a similar vibe with Amouage Dia in the far drydown. Lovely blending and quality material probably from Givaudan.

To all those(like me) who don't like Oud in its full , I would recommend to give it a try. Its not merely Oud , its a Cardamom and Rosewood delight.
Classy mediocrity
Oud Wood is more about woods than oud; it opens with a balsamic, somehow cold and almost “piney” blast of aromatic wood, supported by a quite realistic almondy tonka note, vanilla and just a shade of oud. The wood here is really invigorating, fresh, much aromatic too, in a way I almost never smelled it before. Plus, the texture is really peculiar in my opinion: Oud Wood is not as much sweet or “rich” as it may seem, on the contrary it appears to be really sharp, clean, thin, “woody” in a realistic, but slightly “industrial” meaning, if that makes sense (think of Ikea furniture). The name as I said is a bit misleading to me, as the oud is far less detectable than the wood; and also it has the same features of the oud in M7, which means it’s not the usual dark-rubbery-smoked and “animalic” note we’re used to, but here is rather more oily, nutty, slightly medicinal, and more “bright” than you may imagine. It is a bit smoky, but in a far more gentle way than usual. Overall Oud Wood is a really pleasant, versatile, masculine and easy going scent: it is classy, but at the same time “generic” enough to be safe for anyone in any situation. Actually perhaps one of the most generic and less creative among the Private Blend line for what I’ve tested so far – I don’t mean to say that with a negative connotation. Finally, I must agree with what several other reviewers stated on the Web: it is quite close to skin and the longevity on skin is really unacceptable for the price, while on clothes it lasts longer and projects quite well. A nice fresh and refined Oriental woody scent unworthy the cost in my opinion, but a nice one I’d keep and use if someone gave it to me as a gift.

6,5-7/10
MasterLi
This is a beautiful and very romantic fragrance, very nice.
I've tried Tobacco Vanille , which I know many people love, and I love this even more. I think it's sexier. This is (arguably) worth the hype and even the price tag. It is beautiful, it's seductive, it's quality, but I find it more intimate (and definitely more sensual..) than Tobacco Vanille. I can't see how many people would dislike this. It's quite appealing.

The fragrance is based around an oud note, but I think it would be unfair to expect a loud blast of agarwood a la Arabesque, or in real Arabian style. No. This is Oud for western sensibilities, almost tuned down for people who don't like loud, in-your-face oud. To be honest, I don't expect this to be loud, it's very subtle, very sensual, and very sexy. It sits very close to the skin and doesn't project so far, so it's more of a scent that people who come up really close to you will go "wow, you smell incredible" kind of thing.

What I like about this is that it isn't your average rose/oud combination, it's oud but done with tonka bean, lavish vanilla, sandalwood and amber, coupled with a beautiful, beautiful rosewood note. I do recommend this one a lot. The only drawbacks in my opinion would be the projection. It's an Eau de Parfum and it sits very close to the skin. But, it's not one to announce your presence, it's an experience to share with that special person in your life, when they are close enough to smell and feel the warmth of your skin. It's a "melt in your arms" kind of scent.

In one word? Romantic.

Worth it? I think so... just really nice stuff.
wood oud
Oud tends to be the gorilla in the room in a fragrance that uses it as the principle note. Oud being both potent and distinctive, the challenge is how to make an oud-centric perfume fundamentally different than any other. This isn’t only Tom Ford’s challenge. Oud is the It-Girl still, and here lies the other problem. The oud trend has been going on for long enough that its moment is getting a little long in the tooth. The smart niche companies that were touting oud for the past 4-5 years are moving on, but the high end designer lines (Dior,Versace, Armani) and the niche lines that don’t see themselves as niche lines but (trumpets...) Houses (Killian, Kurkdjian) missed the memo. My point is not at all that the perfumes are bad, but that seeing the trend as a function of marketing, the glass house of exclusivity and taste is looking a little fragile. All the $200-$500 exclusive ouds are competing with each other, but they’re also competing with much less expensive, well-made oud perfumes also available. Exclusivity is a fiction that style-merchants are constantly busting their asses to maintain, and the market is famously fickle. My bet is that the oud star is falling.

An large part of the above scenario is price. Rare Vietnamese oud, ancient Cambodian treasured oud... You’ve never heard anyone refer to rare ethylmaltol, and for good reason. Where is all this oud coming from? Oud isn’t quite ambergris, whose formation is measured in decades to centuries, but you don’t plant it one season and harvest it the next. As with every other quality of smell that we refer to in perfume, oud, the note, and oud, the material are not the same thing. A product that is much more expensive than its direct competitors (a $400 by Killian perfume v. a $100 Parfumerie Generale perfume) require a certain justification, and whether the company is Chanel or Whole Foods, the rare sourcing of botanical components is the contemporary grail of sophistication among the consumer. Ivory, gems, elephant skin, milk fed veal. The exclusivity of Empire has given way to exclusivity AND ethics. ‘Please don’t spill your acai martini on my ipe wood floor and cause a stain. Though it’s sustainably grown, I’ve spent years monitoring the webcast of the organic, high altitude farm where I commissioned its growth. Don’t put me through THAT again.”

And here we have oud. All the sophistication of ambergris, none of the ethical indecision. We’re perfect prey for the oud-mongers.

Tom Ford’s Oud Wood starts out much like many other eponymous oud perfumes I’ve smelled, but from the very outset has a quality of softened edges and rounded tones. [ Caveat: I don’t have much of a nose or mind for dissecting the notes in oud, although I’ve smelled many oud perfumes. I’ve even had the opportunity, thanks to a friend sharing his stash, of doing a comparison sniffing of a number of quality pieces of Vietnamese and Cambodian oud wood whose very specific provenances were know by the person who collected them. I tend to take oud in as a whole. It’s a lovely, sensual experience. But in my case it also means I’m not much of an analyst.]

This is a perfume that makes me question the difference between modulating something very particular and strong (oud), and going mainstream. At all points in Oud Wood’s progression it reads as within normal limits, a nursing expression used to describe a quantity not low and not high. Within normal limits: is that the goal? If so, it’s achieved. This fragrance would appeal to a large population, perfume fans and otherwise. Normally I would deride a goal of normalcy-above-all-else, but Oud Wood is wonderfully constructed, and despite the oud name, is a principally woody fragrance that modulates sweetness, smokiness, firmness and softness. It’s blended but specific, and smells like an imagined wood in the way that an abstract floral fragrance like Heeley’s Ophelia or the classic Patou Joy suggests an idealized flower.

Does Oud Wood have all the brutal smokiness, bitterness, and slap-in-the-face often associated with oud? No, but find this modulated quality refreshing given the ‘my oud’s bigger than your oud’ competitiveness that characterized some oud fragrances released around the time of Oud Wood (2007). The most appealing use of oud in a perfume is to make it a note among many (ie. Guerlain Habit Rouge edp). Perfumer Richard Herpin pushes oud more to the center of the stage than this, but applies moderation deliberately to the composition and gives us the subtle but forthright Oud Wood.

from scent hurdle.com

Ascentus 61 days ago
Can't stop smelling....
6.0
10.0
Mike1337 66 days ago
surprisingly fresh and light while genuinely oud woody
Jazzy76 157 days ago
Spicy-woody with a wonderful oud touch. Perfect in the cold season, it's a very warm and classy oriental fragrance with a quite good sillage
Aclapes 2 years ago
Minimalistic dry woody-spicy fragrance with just a touch of vanilla sweetness. The laid back oud is only present in the opening.+1
10.0

by Peet
by Swuuusch
by Swuuusch

Popular Tom Ford

Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Black Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme by Tom Ford Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Neroli Portofino (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Velvet Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford For Men (Eau de Toilette) by Tom Ford White Patchouli by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous by Tom Ford Violet Blonde by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford Soleil Blanc (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Italian Cypress by Tom Ford