Oud Wood 2007 Eau de Parfum

Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford
Top 4 in Unisex Perfume
Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for women and men and was released in 2007. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum)

Richard Herpin

OudOud RosewoodRosewood CardamomCardamom SandalwoodSandalwood SpicesSpices AmberAmber Sichuan pepperSichuan pepper

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 28.05.2022.

first of it's kind
not your typical oud I have to say.
this is more like an elegant woody scent. Niche or designer ? who cares ?
as far as you like this is not that important for me..
tom ford has created a nice scent, crowd pleaser.
when you look to the note breakdown you expect an oriental scent but it's not.
this is a very smooth blend.

Classic.
Crisp and classic Tom Ford presentation. The store vaporizer left me a tiny stamp on my right wrist that left a strong initial impression of Oud and Horseradish. The moderate+ middle-scent consisted of Oud and Sandalwood that finally came to resemble Oud with a backdrop of Rosewood and Vanilla in the drydown as would be expected from the sweeter nodes but also with hints of black pepper. Absolute classic, 88 points.

Don’t Buy It For Compliments, Buy It For Yourself
I received a sample of this perfume along with an order I recently placed. You can't imagine my reaction when I saw it was none other than Tom Ford Oud Wood. Yes, because this perfume is on my wishlist, together with Faking Fabolous. I love potent aromas, everything related to the word "animal", understood as something that comes from the way of the fauna and the flora. Mineral, metallic, resinous, smoky, leathery, medicinal scents drive me crazy. Therefore, it should come as no surprise that ingredients such as leather, moist earth, rain, resins, petrichor, balsams, syrups, and amber are all my cup of tea. By the way, about Oud Wood, this fragrance differs from most of the Arabian colognes, meaning it does not rely on the well-known formula of oud-rose or oud-saffron pairs. Instead, it is planned differently without too much sweetness. It doesn't smell like any other Oud out there, and I think that's why I love it. Because it smells different, like I've never smelled any other perfume like this before.

Nonetheless, I was expecting a monster of oud from a Tom Ford fragrance, something truly animalic, medicinal, aggressive. Instead, once sprayed on my skin, a burst of camphorous accord, naphthalene with a strong mothball smell, came right in my face. It took me by surprise, unpleasant at first. And I am perplexed, not because I don't like the smell of mothballs—I want to stick my nose into the bag that contains the white balls. Regrettable because I was not prepared. I don't know if this is a facet of the oud that I didn't know yet, or it may depend on the fusion of the oud with some other note. Perhaps it is nothing but the output of the Chinese pepper and cardamom. Not happy, I tried to spray some perfume on the paper strip, and I got the same result: the smell of mothballs. I must confess that opening is rare, maybe unique, with one of the most unexpected accord. The name, Oud Wood, is partly misleading. The note given by the oud is barely hinted at, far from the typical oriental-inspired oud fragrances, sometimes revolting for novices. There is an opening made of dry and fresh woods in the background, with no sugar and no citrus fruits, instead of balsamic and spicy.

In a short time, the blend exudes an essence of exotic rosewood followed by a smoky accord of oud wood, sandalwood and vetiver roots, which envelop me in pleasant warmth. The vetiver emerges genuinely, and it remains prominent for the length of the perfume's development. There is no massive bite to the oud, and the oud here is different to others that I have smelled. Cardamom has become slightly more prominent now, with a heavier camphor tone. Its cool undertones balance the rosy notes that are often found in oud fragrances. And the combination of oud with the aromatic and nutty cardamom is terrific. The smokiness reminds me of the atmosphere of an ancient incense-filled temple during some spiritual function, where the walls, floor and roof soak in burnt olibanum oil veil. It is a resinous woodiness with an interesting smell.

On the finish, the woody background prevails, sometimes almost green, complex, dry, which gives the perfume a vaguely austere elegance. The creamy and powdery aromas of tonka pod, spicy vanilla, and sensual amber give the fragrance a dense trail of warmth and sensuality. There are faint traces of vanilla and tonka. The base is not a sweet and gourmand bomb, and the oud occasionally appears fleeting, but the ground is mostly just sandalwood and vetiver. Using that bit of amber is done masterfully, and if they used more, the bottom would become too sweet and powdery a deal. A very virile, woody and at the same time gentle and masculine drydown.

The persistence is average, and it is good overall on my skin. The sillage is moderate; it is perceptible, much less by people around me unless they come closer. This is an advantage or a defect, depending on your tastes. A small masterpiece of masculine elegance, versatile on all occasions, possibly only avoidable at the hit of summer. I imagine this fragrance suitable for fall evenings, dinners, and outdoor events. This is a guilty pleasure of mine because I like it. My last word, don't buy it for compliments, buy it for yourself.

I base the review on a decant I have owned since December 2021.

-Elysium

Aleksba
I personally would not buy it again, very dissatisfied.
In my opinion, I would NOT buy it again.

For me, this did not work - at all.

The scent/ aroma/ smell is good. However, although an EdP and quite expensive for the 100ml, doesn’t last even more than an hour! A spray or two doesn’t really work. Tried on skin, clothing, no use. One week and I was down to half a bottle, 12 sprays on skin, clothes, jackets, and still nothing within a short span! And no, the weather was not a factor.

If I put it in the morning before leaving for work, by the time I am there (25-30 minutes later), there are no traces!

So, I bought it from a high-end retail store in Europe/ Nordics, but still begs the question: Did I get a fake product? Old product? 5y. old? Used and refilled with water? Something else? Or how come it is having high ratings from most others? Personally, I am not convinced these are true ratings. Don't know/ cannot say!

I don’t think I would buy it again and probably not from this store when I haven’t received any response regarding it. This has pretty much ruined my view of this brand, and would not consider this again. If I have to have another bottle, it would only be if the company sent me a gallon of their products for free including shipping!
I own quite a number of bottles, especially pure perfume oil, bought from the Middle East. Use perfumes on a regular basis. So, conclusion for me: 300e for … ½ hour? No thanks! BTW, the overall scent reminds me Oud Supreme! The scent itself is good. The project, longevity, and sillage - scale of 1-10, I am very disappointed.

PS. I’m not sure if this only applies to this Oud Wood or all of Tom Ford. However, I am not wasting my money on this brand.

Once upon a time..
Enough has already been mentioned about Oud Wood and I'm not going to add anything original. This is purely my experience of this fragrance. I first tried TF Oud Wood after a lot of hype at my local department store back in 2015. Suffice to say, it blew my mind and evoked a sense of nostalgia I had not experienced in quite some time. I used up the first bottle within 4 months. The second within a year. I haven't even used half of my third yet.

Scent:
This starts off with a spicy cardamom and rosewood up top and slowly dries down to a creamy sandalwood, tonka and very tame and wearable oud. It sounds fairly simple but the fragrance journey is magical and if you have ever grown up in a household where spice and attars were everyday essentials then this may well evoke a lot of memories. This is an all round signature scent worthy fragrance.

Unfortunately, as I wore through my bottles and indeed time, the scent profile has remained the same but the magic has waned...something had changed.

Longevity:
This used to be a reasonably lasting 8 hour scent in 2015. From my latest bottle I get 4-5 hours at most. Clearly reformulations since transfer of ownership have diluted a once charming and evocative fragrance.

Projection & Sillage:
This leaves a wonderful trail and projects for an hour or two after which it becomes rather intimate on my skin. I don't think this is a bad thing as it is quite a personal scent for me but if others are looking for powerhouse scents, I don't think this would satisfy. It may well differ on individual skins but this is my experience.

Conclusion:
TF Oud Wood remains a great fragrance and certainly historical for recharging the fragrance industry when it was released with Tuscan Leather and Tobacco Vanille. It has however been reformulated to the point where the scent is just that little bit diluted and the performance that bit weaker on a background of rising cost that do not justify the value...at retail anyway. By all means try it and if you like it, purchase it and enjoy as many have done. Would I recommend the scent? Absolutely. Would I recommend it at retail? Absolutely not. I simply wish it remained what it used to be, once upon a time.
Statement fragrance
Wow. Tom Ford Oud Wood. Well-known, often worn, yet unique. Who dares to wear it and who wants to make a statement, this fragrance is outstanding! What a bomb.

Although the fragrance is really only oud, amber and cardamom (the other ingredients you do not smell so out, perhaps with the exception of the tonka bean minimal), the fragrance smells unique in its composition. Woody, spicy, sweet, heavy yes. But somehow also indescribably fresh. One is delighted to still smell Oud Wood on one's collar or sofa cushion days later. One is definitely noticed, whether one wants this or not.

Durability and sillage are Beastmode,10-12h easy! EdP like also somewhat heavier, even after Schonwaschgang or shower still perceptible. Sure, the price is steep as almost always with Tom Ford. But here you really get what for the money offered. I wear the fragrance almost only on colder days and also only very discreetly applied. Here you have to be sparing with the spraying, otherwise it could quickly become too intrusive for others. Occasions rather outdoors or going out in the evening, for a date, a visit to the cinema, etc.. In the office perhaps conditionally and discreetly use. You also definitely have to have the courage to wear a fragrance like Oud Wood. As I said: Statement!
Drosch48
Welcome to the world of fragrances
To be honest, this scent was my introduction to the fragrance world. I woke up one morning and had to try this scent. I heard a lot about it and that day I had to find out "why does everyone love you?". So off I went in the car, off to Douglas. There arrived a nice lady advised me and showed me this fragrance. Unfortunately there was no tester open so she had to open an extra 100ml bottle for me, after a long hesitation...the first spray...nothing special...what is wrong with me? Am I not perceiving something or is it just too unspectacular for me? After sobering up, the values lady was a little mad at me, I can only understand. So I just walked a little through the shops and smelled him all the time on me...the big rethinking came in the evening on the couch. After the long day I lay down and there it was...this unobtrusive but dominant spice, this scent of egoism, of black suit, of superiority. That scent that makes you feel like you're on cloud nine. Nobody can touch you. Dark caginess, yet self-confident openness. For me, the saying "still waters run deep" fits this fragrance best. A pure business fragrance for me. Luxurious and superior, it shows who's boss at a meeting. Since you've been around, you've shown me how great the fragrance world is. Thank you!

FantOmaSS
Love at the first sniff...
As an absolute fan of Tom Ford perfumes, this Oud Wood was essential to me.
The Oud, an exotic, unexpected wood...
One of the rarest, most precious and expensive ingredients in the perfumer's register, Oud wood is often burned as incense in the temples of Bhutan.
Exotic rosewood and cardamom introduce a charcoal blend of rare Oud wood, sandalwood and vetiver.
Tonka bean and amber add warmth and sensuality.
It is a warm, deep, very subtle, very creamy and enveloping fragrance.
Not a perfume for beginners or for young people.
If you are looking for a traditional Oud, better avoid this Oud Wood.
We just have to stop procrastinating about the lack of hold and trail of this wonderful scent.
It is incredibly sexy and it would be a mistake to underestimate it as the quality is rich, smooth, woody and airy.
On the other hand, it is not at all an animal oud, but rather a very refined sweet balsamic version.
The notes consist of Oud, Brazilian rosewood, cardamom, Sichuan pepper, sandalwood, vetiver (which i barely detect), Tonka bean, vanilla and amber.
So i am not surprised that this perfume is so successful, because it is a really seductive scent.
Some reviews compare it to YSL M7 Oud Absolu.
A great mistake, because this Oud Wood has nothing to do with the M7.
Whoever compares Tom Ford's Oud Wood to M7 simply has no olfactory knowledge...
As far as i'm concerned, the hold is relatively good on me, with a still moderate projection of around 8 hours.
I get a lot of compliments as a result.
After all, this is only a matter of personal interpretation.
It is a good candidate for a signature fragrance.
For me it was a real crush.
It's soft, sexy, warm, seductive, complex, bewitching, sensual, refined...
This perfume made me addicted, as soon as I remove the cap, i feel transported ... And this is where the olfactory travel begins.
I cannot give you an olfactory description, as this juice makes me think that you are surrounded by a halo of soft and fragrant velvet...
You are then transported into a sort of torrid and enveloping heat...
If you like it it will quickly become an obsession.
This is why i will continue to buy this irresistible fragrance.
Conclusion: A unique and emblematic smell, an Oud to have in his collection, because it is very refined.
Almost sparkling in its opening, which then reveals layers and layers of sophistication of very high values.
The price is therefore quite justified, because the quality and the noble ingredients are there.
My reference perfume for a very, very long time ...
One of the best TOM FORD.

"PRIVATE BLEND is my own olfactory laboratory: This is where I have the opportunity to create very special and original perfumes, which are not hampered by the conventions of the manufacture of traditional perfumes.
PRIVATE BLEND has been designed for the true connoisseur of perfumes. " Tom Ford.
All is said.
My rating: 10/10
Authoritarian background
This fragrance is one of my absolute favorites of Tom Ford. He is simply unmistakable and a fragrance with absolute unique selling point.

The bottle is very qualitative and durable. He really stands out from the collection, because he really just looks and feels absolutely high-quality.

The fragrance itself is of course very woody and not for everyone. No trendy, mainstream compliment getter, but rather a fragrance with which you make a statement. To me, it just smells like a "boss scent" - someone in a more elevated position, with shiny leather shoes punctuating his perfectly fitting suit - someone who stands before you with a broad chest and full of confidence.

The fragrance is therefore really a matter of taste, the durability and sillage are not really a highlight, but a good 5-6 hours holds the through. The scent progression is simply wonderful. He is always softer and softer.

I hope to have helped the one or the other! I would buy it again any time. For certain occasions just excellent. But just also expensive.
Autumn is here ?
I bought the fragrance because I wanted a matching scent to my fall look.

My first thought when the fragrance arrived wass so Well ok. it just smells like wood.
But with time the scent unfolds and it starts to smell different.

A wonderful entry level oud scent that has an average to good performance. He convinces me of the fragrance DNA absolutely and just the top and heart notes convince me with every use anew and confirm me in the purchase of this fragrance!

Oud Wood finds regular use with me - especially in autumn I like it particularly well. But only recently I came across the fact that this fragrance can also be combined perfectly with other fragrances.

Very exciting and recommendable!

PedroCabralPedroCabral 2 months ago
In the beginning it is very bitter, intense and aggressive: spices with pieces of dry wood. Excellent aroma after drying.
Beymen27Beymen27 2 months ago
Ein Klassiker! Muss man haben.
AntAguAntAgu 4 months ago
Demasiado caro para a qualidade que tem
Eliot65Eliot65 5 months ago
Current reformulation is the most expensive water on the planet, after 30 min you smell nothing at all.. Shame
Arman038Arman038 5 months ago
Lovely dark and smoky woods combined with a friendly oud. A superb scent for mature guys. It suits special occasions and nights out.
ElysiumElysium 5 months ago
A burst of camphorous accord, naphthalene with a strong mothball smell, pursued by smoky and rosy splits, and then a woody drydown. Love it!
SantinoJoSantinoJo 6 months ago
A top notch scent, performance not so good on skin, everlasting on clothes, it became my signature scent and an absolute compliment getter.
JoloJolo 6 months ago
Aaaand it's gone!
Dkar16Dkar16 7 months ago
Perfect entryway into the world of 'oud' - western oud that is.
Its so unique and although the performance is poor it is forever a classic
RisingChaosRisingChaos 8 months ago
Light woods, sweet-spicy opening with an almost jasmine-like airiness. Light dusting of spices for added lift. Linear. A more polite OFG.

by EveMist
by EveMist
by Irini
the scent of the forest...
by ESSAHSAV
by Gandix
tom ford - oud wood: würziger nachtschatten des waldes...
by Felsn
Ludovico Einaudi meets Tom Ford
by Flanker
by Achilles
the scent of the forest...
by ESSAHSAV
Das Bild zu meinem Vampirkommi. Der Louis war ja auch etwas melancholisch.
by Stethoskop
by Stethoskop
Ausgewildert
In den Rheinauen
by JohnnyLaw
Oud Wood trotzt dem Dunklen Lord ;)
by Bastian
by Bastian
by DavidBraz
by DavidBraz
by Parzival852
by Parzival852
Mehr alter Baum als Tom
by Parfummaster
Eine tiefe Schlucht, Fresh!
by Andreas09
by DSscents
by TimPlacid
by TimPlacid
by mattitjahu
TF - Oud Wood Probefläschchen.  Vielen Dank dafür an Mustang69!
by AromaTikka
by Arsi
by FantOmaSS
by FantOmaSS

Popular by Tom Ford

Noir Extreme (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Lost Cherry (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Beau de Jour (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Amber Absolute by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Minérale by Tom Ford Ombré Leather 16 by Tom Ford Eau de Soleil Blanc by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud Intense by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Soleil Blanc (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford