Oud Wood 2007Eau de Parfum

Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford
Top 2 in Unisex Perfume
Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for women and men and was released in 2007. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Aventus (Eau de Parfum)

Richard Herpin

Oud, Rosewood, Cardamom, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Tonka bean, Amber

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 27.10.2020.

Fogelf
Why I rarely wear Oud Wood, even though I like the scent.
Hello,

i have had this fragrance for a long time now and really like it a lot! But for me it is not a fragrance that you should wear every day. In my opinion this fragrance is more for the "special" moments. For example for a dinner in the evening or similar "special" occasions.
It is also not a fragrance to wear for your compliment-collecting mission with 27 spray bursts. If the goal is to compliment the penetration of the environment, there are certainly much better scents that are also cheaper.
I recommend everyone to get a sample before buying a whole bottle. Furthermore I believe that this fragrance is rather something for "grown-up" people. What one understands by it, on the other hand, depends on the personal interpretation.

Expectedly (and unexpectedly) familiar
This is the second time ever I blind-bought a perfume, and the first time it didn't backfire. I tend to learn from mistakes but 60€ for a 30ml bottle, brand-new from one of the biggest department stores in Greece was just too good to resist.

Olfactory memory is a powerful thing, I've smelled the sprayer couple of times in the past and it always gave me a deja vu of central Athens, especially overcast mornings and afternoons around the University of Athens and Kolonaki, full of Law Offices and the people who work in them. I was surprised to read on local forums that Oud Wood is regarded as an -upscale- office scent in Greece. I could smell this on a professional, always on the move on a cold day, wanting to leave an impression beyond his suit and tie but I wouldn't wanna be in the same office with someone who wears more than two sprays of it.

Opening ranges from bitter-spicy to sweet-woody at times, at first spray the memory persisted, it brought up the same feel of a well-dressed professional at work, which I would credit to Sandalwood and Vetiver accords forming the bases of multiple scents used in such occasions.

Then it slowly evolves to such a well-blended combination of wood and spice that it could pass off as chocolate. Some websites list Vanilla in the notes, I wouldn't go that far. The spice is the last to leave my skin after 6 hours of solid projection, still detectable at 8 and complete skin scent after 10.

The big surprise came in the morning of the first week of testing, a full 14 hours after application, when I could still detect what seemed like a very similar smell to the dry-down of my old friend Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme. Granted during corona times I must have washed my hands more than 4 times in-between and also Sandalwood, Rosewood, Cardamom, and Vetiver accords not being new in the world of perfumery.

As for audience/gender, I don’t find it as male-oriented in the traditional sense, as the majority of people online but in the same traditional sense, It would be difficult for a woman to pull it off outside evening occasions or strict dress-code professional settings. I find Santal Blush (ironically perfectly Unisex) much more versatile but you choose what to wear on yourself.

Lastly, I tried it with Molecule 01 (1 spray of Oud Wood on chest and 3 of M01 in back-of-neck and hands) and I think it works for a fresher overall profile appropriate for more casual and daily occasions.

Overall Oud Wood is the definition of a crowd-pleasing scent, you’d hardly find someone who finds it offensive. It is long-lasting and has a projection good enough to be overbearing at multiple sprays. For me, it fits in every evening and leisure occasion that doesn’t call for Xeryus Rouge.
Oud is not good for me
The sacred cow called "Oud Wood". Get the tomatoes out. It's gonna be a rip-off. I've read a lot about Oud Wood. "Best Fragrance of all Time" and so on. But expectations were subdued, because I couldn't understand the third around fragrances like Dior Homme Intense and Valentino Uomo Intense. And I'm not swimming against the current, either knowingly or by pure calculation. But in my eyes and nose these are not "masculine" fragrances. I imagine that Nico Rosberg smells like that. I never want to be associated with that. The same applies to the sticky-sweet PDM fragrances, which regularly dominate the top ten here. In any case, the expectation of this "over-scent" was already subdued.

Oud Wood is not a bad smell. I must say that. But I just can't smell him without feeling uncomfortable. There's something in the scent DNA that just goes straight to my head and causes olfactory nausea. In addition, the base note is simply not woody enough for me. There is still too much sweetness in the fragrance. I've tried it a few times over the last few days. But it's just not working. Oud Wood always gives me the wrong impression. I guess "oud's not good for me"
I still have to vent over the bottle. We're talking about a higher-priced fragrance here. I expect a cap that either closes magnetically (the Dior Sauvage Dupe "Writer" for 17€ can do that) or at least a cap that closes with a rich click.
Surprising
How do you think the Queen looks in a lumberjack shirt? Or Tom Ford a tutu?
Both theoretically possible, but somehow not so appropriate. I'm almost afraid that this is also true for me and for oud - fragrances that tend to be made for men.
And yet this is already the second oud perfume my nose spontaneously falls in love with! Probably because oud has this wood, forest, campfire smell, which makes me think back to nice hours in the forest or pleasant, sometimes special evenings Anyway, here we go for a walk in the forest. After a very short, woody-bitter beginning
the fragrance soon begins to unfold. The cardamom brings in something fresh and spicy, which I associate here in connection with the woods with coniferous forest Silence, wood, earth, firs, spruces and what they are all called, plus a touch of warm, resinous sweetness A wonderfully soft and warm forest scent that you want to breathe in deeply. Nothing corners here or smells stern. All ingredients are finely interwoven and coordinated with each other After my Tom Ford experiences so far I would have expected something darker, stronger. An oud club, so to speak. But this one holds back nobly, respectively is integrated wonderfully into the "action" Later it actually gets darker in the forest, it smells more resinous and earthy on the skin. This base is however pleasant and soft and at least with me hardly noticeable anymore.
Yes, yes, it is also well wearable for women, really beautiful.
Radiating calm, cuddly and elegant, rather reserved, could have lasted a little longer.
Thanks Fv-Spee for the opportunity to test it!

The way
My way home leads past a dark lake in the forest.
I love this peace and quiet and the soft smell of the trees Fog is coming in today,
mystically rests the lake in shimmering grey.
A noise
A shadow
I'm running cold down my spine,
the hairs of the neck stand up,
the heart's pounding.
Suddenly he stands before me...
almost unreal beautiful,
inaccessible,
his look full of gentleness, melancholy, sadness...
I feel the need to snuggle up to him but my body is frozen I see his gaze wandering over me,
dwelling on the pulse beat...
tilt the head to the side,
to offer him my neck His breath......
no, no breath... Electricity,
she seems to make the place tingle
and anesthetize her.
My body's getting heavy,
sinks to him...
his eyes,
so warm, so soft...
I'm going to hit the ground a warm touch of ambergris...
he turns away,
and bites into a rat in disgust...

Haha, of course the rat has no place here, but it is a key scene in the movie "Interview with a vampire", which I based my story on That's exactly what fascinates me about this fragrance, as it does about Louis in the film A disagreement
between good and evil,
Beauty and slight wickedness,
Distance and leaning,
Desire and restraint,
united to a wonderful complete work,
of so far unknown species.

ScentBubble
Two friends in public transport
"Stefan?!" "Stefan?!" ...

"(yawn)...What?"
"Have you been to bed yet?"

"Dude, you know that's a stupid question, right?!"
"I can't get that perfume out of my head..."
"Which one? The one from the noodle shop? At the train station? The one where you spent a quarter of an hour chatting to the salesgirl and then didn't buy it? That was embarrassing, man!"

"Just that! And since when is a counselling interview embarrassing?!"

"Then come get it tomorrow!"

"Gee, gee, if I was your girlfriend, I'd say that's just so typical of men. I'm wrestling with myself and I need help making a decision!"

"Dude, don't be such a diva all the time, for Christ's sake! No wonder you're still single So it's about that wood scent from the car company, is it?"

"Car manufacturer?"

"Yeah, that wood scent you thought was so cool! Wasn't that Ford?"

"Boy, that wasn't the make of the car, that was Tom Ford's. He's a fashion designer, you folding chair! But for a designer scent, it was really arsehole... but also awesome! It was oud-based. That's the ingredient that everyone says is so harsh and even smells like cow barn. And it's probably expensive too."

"Well, it didn't smell like a cowshed, more like a piece of furniture from a well-known Swedish supplier, somehow woody. But somehow also not, because there was such a sweet note ..."

"Yes, that was rosewood in the beginning. Later on, the saleswoman said, more and more sandalwood is added."

"She looked good, didn't she?"

"You mean the bottle? Yeah, it was fancy. Clean lines, simple yet special. Only the sticker was a bit crooked on it."

"Geez, I mean the salesgirl! Boy, oh boy. And since when does wood smell sweet? Somehow it didn't just smell like wood, but also a bit sweet and ... although not really sweet, but, I don't know, soft, somehow ingratiating or something. And there was always this tart note, just rounded off by this softness."

"Boy, I never knew you were such a subtlety! Yes, that's because of the sandalwood and an ingredient called tonka bean, the lady said. She also mentioned something about amber and said that after two or three hours the stuff should smell more and more like vanilla or even almost like caramel. That's probably why women sometimes buy it. If I have to check it later, it's on the back of my hand. Anyway, I've never smelled a fragrance like that before, it blew me away. It was just brilliant, man! Up to now, I've only sold perfumes for less than 100 euros. Man, it smelled so cool! And the lady said that the fragrance lasts about six or seven hours, depending on temperature and skin type. Aw, crap, why does this stuff have to be so expensive?!"

"Well, but didn't she also say that you can get such a small bottle of it for under 100 Euros? 30 milliliters or so?"

"Yes, but for that price I usually get such big bottles! "Never mind, dude. Tomorrow I'll get it. The smell is fantastic. I'll just treat myself to it!"

...

"Stefan?!" ... "Stefan?!"

"Whaaaas?!"

"Sleep tight!"

"Fuck you!"
No love
I have this Oud Wood in my collection for 2-3 months already. I had to get it for myself, because I was so curious about this scent. A superstar in the fragrance community as you can see here. The rating here is bombastic. You can see the notes around 8.5 more often here, but with over 1000 ratings? Very difficult to create, because many things are simply a matter of taste. 2nd place in unisex perfumes. I had to test it. Because even samples of 2ml from the TF-Private-Line cost around 10 Euro I bought a small bottle of 30ml. Officially expensive, but 30ml is still available in some shops at humane prices. In case of emergency you will always find a buyer if you don't like it.

The bottle series is naturally iconic and simply elegant. When you look at these TF flacons, it's simply perfection and elegance, and it matches the price. This fragrance is available in 30,50,100 and even 250ml. It has signature potential for some and the 500 Euro would be worth it at 250ml.

My expectations were of course extremely high with these ratings. Also a superstar on Youtube. He must have something special about him. I am not the biggest oud fan, but I was very excited. I rarely wear oud in the leading role, but you should have a versatile collection.
I have to say: I was slightly disappointed on the first test. I thought to myself, "Is that an 8.7 scent? It wasn't love at first sight. With these high scores I expected a real crowdpleaser. It is pleasing, but would it necessarily be so well received by the masses? I'm not so sure about that. Not that it is decisive, but I expected something else.
After many tests I like it much better. It will probably not become a favourite, but it is not an eel-smooth scent and has many rough edges. Of course you get a lot of oud. A very oriental and woody scent with fine spices. The creation looks very stylish and noble. I see this fragrance more on people with a certain life experience. It appears mature, not very playful, clarified and simply noble. It is also rather less unisex for me. It's more masculine, but ladies can theoretically wear anything. Especially as a feel-good fragrance, you shouldn't let yourself be talked into anything anyway. The sex appeal of this fragrance is in my opinion within limits anyway.

The performance is criticized by many here. I find it in the middle range. But you can expect more from an oud fragrance in this price range. Oud is a note that performs in double figures in many fragrances. Not here. But it's not that bad. You get around 6 hours out, with good sillage in the beginning and later something about skin-tight.

All in all a great scent, but I find the Private-Line overpriced and the big spark has not jumped over with me. Nevertheless a great stylish alternative for everyday life.
Unguenta
Beautiful on me, seductive on my husband
I always find it fascinating how fragrances can unfold differently on different people.
On me, I really like that smell. Through the soft-sweetish woods, a subtle oud note, a pinch of vetiver and tonka bean, this is simply a beautiful fragrance, as women in my opinion wear much too rarely.
And then my husband wears it... oha! On my husband he gets really sexy. On him the sweetness is no longer there, he looks spicier and almost leathery. Just great and seductive! I should have given him a bigger bottle.
Biased
I love this fragrance and for me it is also the entry into the world of "niche fragrances", but at almost 200€ for 100ml you should be able to expect that the label is at least placed straight on the bottle. Especially when a bottle lives so much from its straight edges and symmetry
On to far-off worlds
Every time this scent comes into my nose it awakens a feeling of wanderlust in me. I can't explain it but I want to set off, discover something new, get to know other cultures. For many people, Oud Wood is really meaningless, tastes are different, I love it!

GreMuserGreMuser 60 days ago
Woody-rose fragrance, oud is very very in the background (luckily), still my favourite fragrance ever. Classy and for special occasions.
MeetjoeblackMeetjoeblack 125 days ago
A little exotic for my taste, and thats saying a lot, as I'm of East Indian extraction and a spiritual background.
BeOrtegaBeOrtega 6 months ago
Smells like Fragrance Du Bois - Cannabis Intense
SpicyDiceSpicyDice 7 months ago
Ein toller Duft um in die Welt des Ouds einzutauchen. Tom Ford hat es geschafft eine sanfte Variante zu schaffen!
Toller Duft
CumhranfearCumhranfear 11 months ago
My association: concentrated vegetable stock. Can't get past that.
KingPinKingPin 12 months ago
Great night-out stuff. Perhaps not for a karaokebar in Kansas, but definitely for a black tie event I London.
SAQIBSAQIB 16 months ago
Amazing Scent, Love it, only problem is Longevity.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 19 months ago
A nice well behaved oud fragrance. It's harmless in such away that it does not seem to be a Tom Ford private line perfume. It's overpriced.
AscentusAscentus 21 months ago
Can't stop smelling....
Mike1337Mike1337 22 months ago
surprisingly fresh and light while genuinely oud woody

by EveMist
by EveMist
by Gandix
by Gandix
by Graybeard
tom ford - oud wood: würziger nachtschatten des waldes...
by Felsn
Ludovico Einaudi meets Tom Ford
by Flanker
by Stethoskop
by Stethoskop
Ausgewildert
by Floyd
Oud Wood trotzt dem Dunklen Lord ;)
by DavidBraz
by DavidBraz
by Gury
by Gury
by Parzival852
by Parzival852
Mehr alter Baum als Tom
by Parfummaster
Eine tiefe Schlucht, Fresh!
by Andreas09
by DanyPereyra
by Arsi
by Arsi

Popular Tom Ford

Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather 16 by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Lost Cherry by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Beau de Jour (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud Intense by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Vert d'Encens by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua by Tom Ford Amber Absolute by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford White Suede (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Minérale by Tom Ford Oud Wood Intense by Tom Ford