Oud Wood Intense 2017

Oud Wood Intense by Tom Ford
Oud Wood Intense is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for women and men and was released in 2017. The scent is leathery-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It was last marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum)

OudOud
Angelica rootAngelica root
CypressCypress

Submitted by Kovex, last update on 09.01.2022.

Magical Forest
Oud wood intense is a masterpiece. It's very different from the original oud wood. This one is a very masculine, leathery, smoky, slightly animalic oud fragrance. While the original is a smooth and creamy easy to wear oud fragrance. They smell nothing like each other.

It opens with notes of a mystical feeling nutmeg: spicy, mysterious, warm and fruity. After a few minutes, the nutmeg dies down, though it never truly leaves. It is replaced by a smooth, refined Oud, with just a slight touch of skankyness. Over the day, that skankyness mellows and acts like a comforting blanket of strength. Decent projection, good sillage and amazing longevity, this for me sits up there with the likes of Tuscan Leather, Tobacco Oud and Tobacco Vanille. Smells like a magical forest somewhere in Italy. This is definitely one to buy if like leather and smoky fragrances.

Perfect fragrance for the cold winter days. It makes you feel like a boss while wearing it.

Rotten wood
First things first... this has nothing in common with Oud Wood.

Nutmeg & castoreum are the main actors here. Imagine you’re in a forest, rainy day & you’re wearing a biker’s leather jacket...around you there are soked leaves on the grond surrounden by moss. Capture that moment (leather jacket, moss, forest, add the nutmeg + castoreum).

Don’t like the nutmeg - ish hint , it’s s special fragrance but a bit to much. Sillage & projection are very good.

Hard to Love creation

Faustus Good and Evil Angels
So damn curious about checking a Tom Ford's cologne, I tried and got a sample of this perfume at the COIN store in Milan. And because I wanted to feel how the fragrance reacted with my chemistry, I blindly sprayed it directly on my skin. It gave me one of those increasingly rare love-at-first-sniff experiences the first time I smelled it. Well, the first impression made me imagine Christopher Marlowe's play "The Tragical History of Life and Death of Doctor Faustus." After having made an invocation in his study, the devil Mephistopheles appears to Faustus with whom he stipulates a pact: Faustus will have the knowledge and services of the servant of Lucifer for twenty-four years, after which Lucifer will have his soul. He performs minor acts of low stature. Throughout the work, two angels continually advise Faustus, one good and one evil, symbolizing the two sides of human nature. Similarly, two are the protagonists of this perfume, the oud, and the castoreum, as are the good and the evil angels who flank Dr. Faustus. The other notes are playing in the background as supporting actors.

Oud Wood Intense is primarily a kind of woody animal leather fragrance in which wood and animal blend harmoniously. I researched, and some notes are not mentioned here, like ginger, nutmeg, vetiver, and oakmoss. The aroma of angelica root is quite strong, so perfumers typically use it in small quantities as a complex fragrance component. Angelica displays notes of earth, musk, celery, pepper, aromatic herbs, and just a hint of warm citrus. It is an ideal component for anchoring bright and citrus fragrances, as it provides an earthy core. Angelica root is rustic and provides a base for fragrances that is equivalent to walking barefoot on grass.

The opening combines spicy and sweet notes with angelica roots atop the fresh blonde cypress wood and brings oud to the fore from that upper chord. I can't explain why I like it so much, and I don't expect everyone to share my opinion on this fragrance. Both lush and fiery, it greets me with ginger and nutmeg, sending a wave of fresh spiciness to the senses. There's a hint of pepper and bitterness from the juniper berries, which adds to the already quite spicy opening. The verdant quality of the juniper goes well with the cypress wood. The top notes come together for sweet and fresh energy, almost citrusy, but always with a slightly bitter and verdant touch. Oud Wood Intense is instantly smoky, almost as if the woods have been set ablaze and burning with soft, black ashes, which is incredibly elegant. It creates a crisp and tense atmosphere that immediately awakens the senses with its powerful combination.

Hence, the opening is a dark oud wood with subtle spice, leafy character, and a charcoal dust aroma. This melange evolves into a dark, dry oudish skin that remains present in one form or another throughout. The oud is subtle, discreet, and wrapped in birch tar, which creates a smoky, leathery background. Then we reach the growling and fleshy heart. It is the smokiest and textured oud ever. Oud Wood Intense captures the oud's rougher edges using vetiver and oakmoss, showcasing some harder parts of the oud. The leathery accord is also very strong, has a soft ink-like vibe, and increases the fragrance projection, but it's all well balanced. The combination of oud and leather is strong, but it is pleasant, dry, dark, and pretentious.

The base doesn't stop, and it's a huge castoreum bullet. It creates a chord full of animalic depth, which probably won't be to everyone's taste. A clean, woody base of sandalwood and incense builds on the smokiness of the fragrance. Castoreum promotes a kind of "dry skin" smell that more or less characterizes my experience of the whole fragrance. It gives a wonderfully animal dimension that adds weight and dark presence. I like it very much. I love the raw oud with its medicinal smell, here combined with ash, and the patchouli on the finish softens it just enough. Patchouli adds sharpness, while mahogany-style woods bring a dark toasty richness. It's a nice contrast, and I feel like this quality lends a harsher feel to Oud wood's softness.

Oud Wood Intense is animalic and pungent, but the oud itself is smooth. Instead of the oud being the animalic and light-hearted part of the perfume, castoreum is, with its musky aroma, for an overall rich and tantalizing blend that everyone around you won't stop thinking about for hours. Soft oud combined with animal scents and an explosion of wood. Black rubbery, woody, smoky, and great petroleum smell. From time to time, I perceive the castoreum's animalic note, which reminds me of vintage Antaeus from the 80s, exactly the atmosphere I had when I was wearing it. I've always liked Antaeus, so the transition to this wasn't too difficult, they are slightly similar in that they share skin and castoreum, but deep oud wood is a deeper dark variation.

Bottom line, it's a good scent for cold, nocturnal climates; I enjoyed wearing it the other night for a party and got tons of compliments. Try it before you buy; it's not meant for the crowd. I tested a sample extensively, and it stood out for both uniqueness and compliments! It's bad, it's dirty, most likely not everyone will like it, but that's the kind of thing we all want to find in a more niche home.

This review is based on a decant I have owned since February 2021.

-Elysium
Are you moudig enough?
Follow me for more stupid oud puns.

Lately I've been having a pretty good run as far as oud scents are concerned. "I'm wearing oud minerale regularly now. But you have to be fair, because nobody really smells oud around here. It's a wonderful smell, though. I also liked "Leather Oud" very much, but I can't wear it in public for known reasons. Twenty years ago, I would have worn it on a farm holiday job without batting an eyelid. Now I miss the occasions for it.

Just a quick refresher. I didn't really like the OG Oud Wood. The scent had something in its DNA that made me sick. It was this balsamic sweetness that somehow didn't fit my image of the fragrance at all. Craftsmanship was the top, like a lot of Tom Ford. But he annoyed me very quickly about myself. Oud Wood Intense shouldn't have anything in common with the original DNA of Oud Wood. So the majority of the voices on the Internet about this scent. And right you are.

Oud Wood Intense completely lacks the sweetish note that apparently many like about OG Oud Wood. This has definitely made Oud Wood wearable for many. I can make one thing clear. I wouldn't put Oud Wood Intense in the "category" portable. The scent is difficult and cumbersome. I often associate scents with music or with images. With Oud Wood Intense the following images or sounds come to my mind:

- norwegian Black Metal (not blunt, but rather with Shoegaze/Postrock bonds)
- a weather-beaten hut next to a bog in a forest (is that perhaps the smell of Baba Jaga's hut?)

Oud Wood Intense starts very spicy with the first spray. The cypress and angelica root come right through, taking no prisoners. In the drydown I then feel the oud (which in this case takes a kind of dark, tanned leather) and the Castoreum "Biebergeil", which is not listed here. This makes the scent incredibly distinctive, spicy, coarse and animalistic. This is where the chaff is separated from the wheat. The boys leave the room, the men comb their chest hair.
Oud Wood Intense makes no compromises whatsoever. And that is exactly what impresses more. This is absolutely not a mainstream scent. That's what the regular Oud Wood is for. OWI bangs the facts around your ears, while other fragrances serve them on a silver platter and gently whisper them into your ear. These are big words, one or the other will think now. But OWI is an egoist in its purest form. He wants to please no one but himself. And that's exactly what Oud Wood Intense radiates.

The exact opposite of selfishness is the scent then with the Sillage as well as the durability. There he does not want to be only for himself. It projects enormously and for a long time. I personally dare not apply more than a spray.

The bottle is beautiful. Typical for the Private-Blend series by Tom Ford (in case of the Intense versions with silver stainless steel badge instead of a sticker) and very high quality. The cap could still be magnetic or close with a deep click.

In terms of price, OWI moves in the significantly higher spheres. However, the price is put into perspective when I think that just one spray is easily enough for a complete working day. I'm not a math boss, but if I only have to spray once with 100ml, but 3 times with other scents with 100ml, then this is a saving of no less than 500% or a trip with the Transrapid from Munich airport to Munich central station or Heathrow in London. I am not so sure about that anymore.

5.5

Razvanyke
Not everything with TF logo is good
I am a huge fan of the original Oud Wood, I like it a lot, that beautiful cardamom scent and woody .. it is a piece of art which I will always have in the collection.

Today, in Douglas I tried the new Oud Wood Intense .. no way this is the "better" oud wood, what the hell is this, Tom Ford?

In the moment in which it started the drydown, I really wanted to find a sink to wash it away .. unfortunately I did not found so I did it at home.

I smell a kind of Tuscan Leather, but dirty not in a good way and almost repulsive.

I do hope this was just my nose, playing with my senses and it is actually a good perfume, I will try again at another date - but now, a big no from me.
The real Fucking Fabulous
First of all: There is absolutely no front against the "real" Fucking Fabulous. I love him.

Oud Wood Intense was initially one of the fragrances that never played a role for me. It was simply too expensive and not special enough for me. Well, wrong thought, meanwhile it is my signature scent
Before my time on Parfumo, I assumed that it simply smells like Oud Wood, only it performs better After I filled my perfume cupboard properly in 2020, I thought that I would have to test the Intense version after all.
So I ordered a bottling and let myself be enchanted.

As a test: It was a warm summer day (about 28° degrees) and I was with my girlfriend in the local perfumery and we strolled through the old city centre of my hometown. After I showed her all the Tom Ford scents and she fell in love with Orchid Soleil, we went for an ice cream.
Oud Wood Intense was close on my heels, and I always noticed him.
Even those in the perfume shop asked me what I was going to wear Oud Wood Intense has a maximum 5% Oud Wood DNA. The rest is incredibly difficult to put into words. Unique. Balsamic. Heavy. Just special.

About the fragrance: Tom Fords from the oud series are not necessarily known as truly authentic oud fragrances, which is absolutely justified. Oud Wood Intense, however, definitely goes in an oriental and almost authentic oud direction. It is much darker and well, almost a bit dirty. The leathery undertone, which is always noticeable, is not as tamed as the one in Tuscan Leather. I would describe it as rough and edgy. All in all, it blends beautifully with the bittersweet cypress. The scent is extremely complex and unique. For me it fits more into the warm season, because it brings a slight coolness.

Regarding sillage and durability: Intense is exceptionally meant seriously here. The fragrance lasts loosely on the skin all day long and on clothes for weeks. Due to the high projection 3-4 splashes are enough. I also wear it in the office and am super happy with it. (My colleagues also :D)

Overall, Oud Wood Intense is a slightly dirty and multi-faceted fragrance. If Tom Ford can't think of another name, could he be renamed "Fucking Fabulous" and this could be changed to, well...maybe "Almond Leather"? He definitely deserves a name of his own.

Thank you very much for reading! Definitely test it if you're into that and don't be put off by the words "Oud Wood"

Tom Ford Oud Wood vs Oud Wood Intense
This is my Tom Ford Oud Wood vs Oud Wood Intense video. A video for Tom Ford Oud Wood Intense Review along with Tom Ford Oud Wood Review. I’m a huge fan of Tom Ford Oud Wood and I absolutely love the way this oud fragrance smells. So I was very excited to find out about Tom Ford Oud Wood Intense being a fan of the original I’m always curious to see what they will come up with. This is definitely a different take on Tom Ford Oud Wood. And be prepared to like animalic style oud fragrances. More Middle Eastern/Arabic style oud perfumes. If you're curious more please watch my review video. Thank you.

DaiorosDaioros 5 months ago
1.5
bad as hell.
repulsive and nothing similar to "Oud Wood".
i don't know who wants to wear this.
Blako11Blako11 8 months ago
Nada que ver con oud wood, olor distinto. Elegante y buena proyección. Recomendado oler primero.
DTCDTC 11 months ago
Masculinidad en estado puro.
ElysiumElysium 11 months ago
The oud is subtle, discreet, and wrapped in birch tar, creating a smoky, leathery background. The base is a huge castoreum bullet!
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 1 year ago
A slightly smoky, yet dry and dusty leathery-woody Winter fragrance, with a pronounced spicy green-earthy opening. Raw and dark. Masculine.
DarellDarell 1 year ago
I love the original Tom Ford Oud Wood!
But this I Oud ''would'' not buy in a million years.
What a off putting fragrance yikes...

by Jomvaf
by ColorsOfNose
by TillAlex
by TillAlex

Popular Tom Ford

Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Lost Cherry (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Amber Absolute by Tom Ford Beau de Jour (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather 16 by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua by Tom Ford Eau de Soleil Blanc by Tom Ford Oud Minérale by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Vert d'Encens by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud Intense by Tom Ford