Plum Japonais 2013

Plum Japonais by Tom Ford
Top 86 in Unisex Perfume
Plum Japonais is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for women and men and was released in 2013. The scent is spicy-fruity. It was last marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies. Pronunciation

Yann Vasnier

Japanese camelliaJapanese camellia
OudOud
AmberAmber
Benzoin SiamBenzoin Siam
Fir balsam absoluteFir balsam absolute
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by Freeestyler, last update on 02.10.2021.

Bashke81
Dark sensual plum - fruity oud
I get a little smoky plum, some oud, which blends beautifully. There is saffron, and a lot of fir and cypress, which I love. I fell in love with Vert D'Encens and did not think I could like anything better that's relative to it, but this eclipses it.
Really good stuff!! Leans a tad masculine, but a woman can definitely pull it off.
9,5/10

Venomrock101
Spiced woods with a hint of plum
I heard this was getting discontinued and had to pick it up. Luckily I found my opportunity with a reliable eBay seller, but I feel bad for the people who are going to miss out on this absolute gem from Tom Ford. Plum Japonais to me is actually pretty weak on the plum. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still there, especially in the opening, but it mostly just comes and goes in wafts of slightly sour, purply sweetness throughout the life of the fragrance. What really carries the fragrance is a smoky wood, amber, and slight vanilla, spice, and liquor notes. Both parts of the fragrance independently smell great, but when they mix the scent is absolutely magical, I just wish it happened more often. I’ve noticed it the best personally when I’m walking and the wind is blowing on my back, carrying the spritz on my neck to my nose. Perfect for fall and early winter and I have no regrets with my purchase, and if you happen to have the opportunity to, try before you buy.

TRehf
It’s good, but don’t get misled by the name
Sometimes being a fragrance enthusiast can be very stressful: There is this one fragrance that is on my to-try list since years and I simply never did try it. Recently, rumors occurred that the fragrance is going to be discontinued and it immediately sold out everywhere. I was afraid that I will never get a chance to try the mentioned fragrance and after a few weeks, I finally found it back in an online store, even at a discounted price. I pulled the trigger before it’s too late. And now I own Plum Japonais by Tom Ford - another blind buy.

Although I don’t find the Tom Ford Private Blend packaging special, it’s still kind of unique in its own way and hence it feels kind of special when unboxing a new TFPB. After I opened the box of Plum Japonais, I was excited to finally try it, knowing the risk that blind buys usually carry with them. So I immediately sprayed it on my arm and what can I say... it’s good, very good actually, but not what I expected based on the name „Plum Japonais“. I was expecting more of an Asian Style of fragrance, fruity-floral, more lightweight. What I got is an oriental style of fragrance: sweet amber and vanilla, spicy cinnamon, oud and plum.

Now, based on the notes I could have known how this fragrance smells but I last checked them years ago and kind of ignored them ever since.

Am I happy with the blind buy? Yes. I do like lighter scents for spring and summer but I also love oriental perfumes and this one smells just very good. If I would have to describe the smell I would say it’s about 30% of Tobacco Vanille, 30% Tobacco Oud (both without the Tobacco) and 40% plum with a Tom Ford-ish base.

I can’t say too much about the performance yet because I simply haven’t given it enough full wearings. But based on the style of fragrance and first wearings I don’t see any reason to complain.

I haven’t got any compliments or complaints either. But that’s also due to a lack of wearings and Social distancing (Covid-19).

I’m excited to wear this fragrance more often in the next few weeks and months and happy to have it in my collection before it’s (maybe?) gone or re-released in a more expensive product line.
J1ndujun
When angels wear perfumes...
I wander through the streets of Tokyo, thoughts buzzing in my head, unique Japan. If I want to explore the landscape, I take the train to Mt. Fuji. Nature rushes past me. It's spring, cherry blossom time and the Hanami festival. Japanese gardens are famous for their fragrant, delicate flowers. Apart from cherries, other stone fruits such as apricots, plums and peaches are also included, whose trees blossom during this time.

The first flowers are those of Prunus mume, the so-called Japanese plum or apricot. An independent species native to Japan. Since its flowers appear on bare branches as early as January or February, they are considered a symbol of the will to survive and promise good luck.

I'm dreaming, sitting alone in my train compartment - what do Japanese plum trees smell like? No one here. I get off in the city of Atami in Shizuoka Prefecture and breathe fresh air. I grab a bike and take a little ride around the city. The smell of spices in the air, maybe saffron? Light sweetness. Delicious... Vanilla and cinnamon. I drive past happy people in bars. Alcohol is in the air. In the distance I can already see them, plum trees and flowers. I get off my bike, I find myself in the plum garden of Atami. Beautiful. Bright pink, white trees, natural spectacle, waterfall, small streams, narrow bridges - the sun is shining and a light wind is blowing. I dream along the path. Plum liquor. I wonder what this smells like when it's dried I remember. A perfume in my backpack, I take it out, standing on the bridge surrounded by plum trees. A spray, sensuality. Perfection. Tom Ford Plum Japonais. I knew it, a fragrance worn by angels. Ume flowers and Ume fruits have always been omnipresent in daily life, but also in Japanese art and poetry. The fragrance combines fruity plum with a dash of liqueur, unobtrusive sweetness accompanied by adult spiciness. Minute by minute the sillage slips into a dreamlike mix that cannot be described with words. I continue walking along the narrow paths, catching a breath of this fragrance again and again and am forced to close my eyes and enjoy it. I think I am in paradise. I never want to leave here again.

"Plum Japonais" reveals the extraordinary beauty of the Ume plum by combining it with an unconventional blend of exotic Asian ingredients. The fragrance is rich and luxurious and of an irresistible complexity.

I go back, get on my bike and dream towards the sunset. In my nose still the smell of plum blossoms. He'll probably stay there for a long time - that's the way angels must smell.
Li Hing Mui - Sour sweet savoury plum
I would like to dedicate my first comment as a greenhorn perfume to my favourite scent. I have owned this fragrance for almost a week as a small bottling from my colleague Ervin23, thank you very much at this point!

Now for the fragrance: it really does smell like plum liqueur! I think it comes conditionally from the light sweetness of the top note. Already at the beginning you smell a slight acidity paired with wood. It gives me the feeling of a perfect plum: not too sweet, not too sour. And if it had stayed that way, I couldn't call it my favourite scent, the Sillage is only mediocre at the beginning.

And then the spell starts to work... i wore this the other day at university and afterwards at work: the minimal sweetness from the beginning has disappeared, what remains is the most beautiful scent you can assign to a plum. The acidity, on the other hand, becomes much more distinctive - reinforced by the smoky note - very smoky, but not woody! On the mentioned day the scent was for 6-7 in my nose with 3 sprayers (is of course dependent on the TZ)... i saw in the train, I smelled it - I sat in the lecture, I smelled it - I sat in the bus, I smelled it - I sat in the office, you know - I smelled it! Over time the smoke becomes weaker and the sweetness unfolds again. Plum Japonais makes me a slave to my sense of smell. It is so good that I would like to have it on my nose forever, but it disappears when it is at its most beautiful. Maybe one or the other of you here doesn't feel any emotion, inconvenience or even disgust when reading through it - but that's not important, just as little as whether my surrounding people like it. Super ignorant of me - I know!

For those who only want to inquire about the fragrances, I recommend skipping to the next comment.
The rest is just informative and I do it purely symbolically.

Maybe I like the scent because it smells brilliant or because I associate many delicacies with it - I will probably never find out.

In southern China, my father's home, it is warm/hot all year round. The air humidity is constantly 90%+. In such a climate it is only understandable that the locals do not like hearty dishes. Nevertheless, one of the most popular dishes is a grilled duck, nice and crispy with glazed skin and pink juicy meat. To make it more exciting, it is usually served with a portion of plum sauce: this is sometimes sweet, sometimes sour.
Another plum-based food in this region are dried plums, kumquats other fruits. In contrast to European dried fruits, the Chinese ones are pickled, called Li Hing Mui.
They taste sour, sweet and a bit salty - a taste explosion. They are so strong that you cannot eat the fruit fish directly. The macadamia-sized crumpled plums are sucked in the mouth for a long time before the intense flavour subsides and they are ready to eat. I can imagine that this snack comes from the heavy and poor past.
Both plum-based dishes are on the tip of my tongue as soon as I smell Plum Japonais, which I never appreciated as a child and which today trigger feelings that cannot be described in words. It's like the scene from Ratatouille, when the critic remembered the carefree childhood, It's the beautiful thing that you always learn to appreciate too late!

I probably disregarded the guidelines with this digression, but the little bottling that I constantly smell while writing makes me get quite emotional.
So who is still on: if I should have aroused your interest, then do yourself a favour and order a small sample of it. If you want to understand a touch of my emotion, you can also order a small package of dried plums. It is best to ask me beforehand, since there are quite a few variations :)

great Plum for everyday
This is great plum for everyday or for special occasions it depends how much you like if you love plum and dark stuff long lasting long projections and compliments this is for you its best suited for winter or autumn , you can expect compliments even from hi-end people .

plum in a bottle
plum is unsurprisingly the star of the show here, so let's go right ahead and dig into that note first.

Plum Japonais uses umeboshi plum, so any notion of the purple succulent Western plums won't be precise. Umeboshi is an extraordinarily sour, fermented, jammy plum that would probably be too challenging on its own, but fortunately it gets along very well with others.

Vanilla and cinnamon fluff it up generously, but don't let that give you the impression of some kind of apricot cobbler. This cinnamon seems to have drifted right off of some resinous Vietnamese temple incense, and despite its gourmand qualities, Plum Japonaise is actually reasonably dusty
Performance is great, with powerful projection and sillage but moderate longevity. One of my all time favorites. If you want something that smells truly EXOTIC, give this one a sniff.
DarkWinterCS
Plum, where are you hiding?
Tannenbalsam, the fabric I like so much and like to perceive in scents. But often not so present or badly combined, so hardly heard. I feel the same way about the plum in this scent. Because on my skin the plum shows up very briefly in the top note, only to run shyly and anxiously behind the spice rack afterwards. As much as I like to smell plum, because just when it presents itself as a juicy fruit, it must also exist throughout the whole fragrance.

Plum Japonais is a fragrance from the Private Blend Collection that belongs to those that do not overtax you, offers a good introduction to TF fragrances and is still bearable for many. Because Vers DÉncens and Tobacco Oud proved to me recently that there are other ways. Sometimes less is actually more, even if he doesn't completely convince me. For that he is relatively monotonous and uninspired in my heart note. I could also blame Oud Wood for this, but he is so balanced that he can avoid this dilemma. The start, as already described, is a plum that opens on my skin dry and woody and does not make any institutions to present something of its juicy flesh. I think it's a relative pity, because if this note had been shown and accepted, the fragrance could have been great. Then spices, some vanilla and tender green are added. The little plum withdraws further and further in this process and stays in the background, so that it is hardly tangible.

The shelf life is extended relatively elegantly by the monotonous spice, although less of it and more fruit would be the goal to stand out a little bit. This is one of the Private Blend fragrances where I would say that more courage would have been needed, as with others in the line. It all seems a little uninspired, nothing half and nothing whole. An attempt to satisfy the masses after Oud Wood with something new. Too bad, Tom. Next time, more esprit and steam. Because we've seen the fruity go at Lost Cherry.
5.5
Slivovice
Warm plum brandy without fusel. Sweet and fruity cloud soaked the whole day with plaumigen aroma. Oh dear, always plum, no!!! Ford must be passing for a fruit...

jtd
following the perfumer, not the perfume line
Fortunately, you don't spritz on a marketing campaign. You spritz perfume. Set aside the nouvelle orientalism of the Ford 'Atelier d'Orient' collection. But do smell Plum Japonais if you get the chance.

More than most fruits, the plum is about the relationship of the skin and the flesh of the fruit. A thin, intensely acidic skin layer is the first taste of the plum as you pierce the skin with your teeth, but the rush of sweet flesh overwhelms the tartness quickly as you continue to bite. In your mouth, the experience reverses and the sweetness washes away as the meat of the fruit gets swallowed, leaving the skin and its sharpness. Tart, sweet, tart. Each bite is a little opera.

The salty, acidic slap of the pickled umeboshi plum is one of my favorite tastes. The experience is huge and invigorating. It’s the gustatory equivalent of jumping out of a sauna and into the snow. Plum Japonais plays with these fluctuating facets of the plum and makes a woody-plum perfume that is both bold and nuanced. Plum could be a thorny note, given that Edmond Roudnitska claimed the plum as his own with the brilliant Rochas Femme. The reformulation of Femme, with cumin standing in for no longer available animalic elements, kept the plum alive and in the chypre territory. Serge Lutens and Christopher Sheldrake used the plum as the starting place for a wholely new fruited-wood amber genre. Feminité du Bois and its successors have claimed the rights to a plum-cedar empire. Any perfumer hoping to make a principally plum-scented fragrance cannot help but see some big shoes.

Perfumer Yann Vasnier takes the plum into new territory with Plum Japonais. The previous pairings, plum/moss in Femme and plum/cedar in Feminité du Bois, were enormously successful and so is Vanier’s. He matches plum with a fir note, making a sweet and syrupy perfume that doesn’t fall into the gourmand trap. I’ve seen oud, spices and all sorts of things listed in the notes for Plum Japonais, but the overall effect is a sweet, cool woody tone similar to that in Fille en Aiguilles. (Take that, Sheldrake!) In both cases you can embrace the sweetness without reservation and never fear falling into a dessert. Even with notes of cardamom and cinnamon, the perfume still leans more toward the Christmas tree than the dessert table.

Vasnier creates a dynamic similar to the tart-sweetness of eating a plum by focussing on the tensions between spiced sweetness and cold balsamic resinousness. And he manages to do it without stealing from either Roudnitska or Sheldrake. This alone is remarkable. Plum Japonais has an unrestrained opening that is appropriate for a fruity fragrance, but settles comfortably into a dusty wooded-fruit balance that remains strong but close to the skin. The drydown is spectacular, more poised than tempting, and is would be a great treat to reconsider on your wrist at the end of a long day.

(I'm just being introduced to perfumer Yann Vasnier's work and am enjoying it tremendously. Can't wait to try more.)

from scenthurdle.com

ZerkaloZerkalo 1 month ago
Plum Japonais? A boozy-woody-spicy-oudy-plummy delicious experience. Get it if you can!
Blako11Blako11 5 months ago
Una deliciosa desconocida de TF. Perfume oriental muy cálido que no desagrada a nadie.
Bashke81Bashke81 8 months ago
One of my favorites. Really nice, smokey and juicy plum with just a hint of oud way back in the background. Mouthwatering.
9,5/10
SergioTSergioT 2 years ago
Juicy plum with some oud and smoky nuances thrown in for some extra depth. Great projection and sillage. Stellar composition.

by Mustang69
by Mustang69
by Mimara
Men at Work: Tom the nine-to-fiver (für Fresh's Challenge)
by SonyCrockett
by MaryPoppins
by Venomrock101
by Venomrock101

Popular Tom Ford

Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Lost Cherry (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Beau de Jour (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Amber Absolute by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather 16 by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua by Tom Ford Eau de Soleil Blanc by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Minérale by Tom Ford Lavender Extrême by Tom Ford Vert d'Encens by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud Intense by Tom Ford