Sahara Noir (2013)

Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Sahara Noir is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for women and was released in 2013. The scent is smoky-resinous. The longevity is above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBitter orange, Calamus, Cistus, Cypress
Heart Notes Heart NotesBeeswax, Jasmine, Papyrus, Rose, Frankincense, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmbreinol, Balsam, Benzoin, Labdanum, Oud, Vanilla, Frankincense, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 17.06.2020.

A transcendental experience
When I entered perfumery with a desire for incense fragrances, this gift from the Orient was recommended to me. As soon as I had the scent in my nose, I closed my eyes and felt as if I had entered the most beautiful cathedral in the world. The incense embraced me and invited me to explore the darker mysteries of the world. My husband unfortunately doesn't like the scent on me at all, but for me Sahara Noir remains my great love. A fragrance that I can imagine very well also on men. As for women, I can only imagine it with strong personalities who fill the room as soon as they enter it. Self-confident, far from being naive or childish. Sahara Noir - worthy of a goddess who proudly stands on a gallery and listens to the concert given for her.
Caligari
Except for the Venus symbol everything is just right here
... because the name and many of the ingredients are very much the same as those experienced today. Actually a smoky (Noir), dry (Desert) Oriental (Sahra), which I would have assigned to the Amouage Man series at a blind tasting stante pede. This is really a straight crossover. Scratchy by the incense and mild by vanilla and rose. Something friendly and lively is presumably added by the bitter orange. And the beeswax explains to me this dusty dryness. This characteristic is called "damped" with me, like covered with velour. A feeling like moving your hands in dry cement or lime until the last bit of moisture has disappeared from your skin.

I am really very limited regarding my scent preferences, and therefore it can happen after a certain total number of scents that after a break of a few months you either don't have a clear assignment to a scent anymore, or you think of several scent twins. Although Sahara Noir is not one of my favourite drywood scents, I immediately remembered it after a millisecond. This is not so easy for me with many fragrances from this direction, although I sometimes like them even better. The recognition value is really impressive. And all the more incomprehensible is therefore the cessation of the production of this "solitaire".

Unfortunately, today I was somehow not ready for this fragrance. I never really give much thought to what I'm gonna wear. Unless they are extreme "beasts" that one prefers not to wear out of consideration for the environment. But sometimes you notice during the course of the day that it just doesn't fit today. That happens with me sometimes even if I have occupied the days before with fragrances from another direction. From today's point of view, I'd almost take him out. But I could regret that bitterly in two weeks, because it is without doubt very, very well done. And that also applies to durability and Sillage, which this bottle, kitschy in my eyes, did not let expect.

Incense all over
Who knows what was running in Tom Ford's head while labeling it 'for women ' and Noir de Noir for both 'Women and Men', anyway the fragrance is very good despite the overwhelming top notes of Incense and Ambre making it an 'in your face' type of scent for those not into the similar sort of fragrances.

As I am already in love with woody / Incensy fragrances like GPH and Amouage offerings , I really like it a lot especially the dry down which is tried to be made to serve the purpose of the label with some floral notes but its overall a very masculine rather macho fragrance especially in first one or two hours.

The dry down is calming and soothing rather very well rounded.

Mill4r4
Adorable, addictive but, not actually anything new.
Can I begin by saying that I've just got this today and I'm in love with it. I'm generally an amber and incense fan so it came as no surprise that it was love at first sniff.

I used to have this lovely little fragrance called Gucci Pour Homme, Sahara Noir reminds me of this so much that it is uncanny. The difference being that Sahara Noir is more unrelenting in it's insistence to be noticed, Gucci Pour Homme was a bit more layered.

For what it is Sahara Noir is extraordinarily hyped and overpriced. I still bought it and like it though.

Coutureguru
How niche became mainstream ...
My disdain of Tom Ford is well documented ... this is a house owned by the Lauder group and as such, I don't really see these fragrances as being in any way 'special' or even worth the money that they are sold at. This is simply big business trading off a niche concept ... which is how 'niche' became mainstream.

There is nothing wrong with this fragrance per sé ... except that this concept has been done to death by pretty much every fragrance house out there ... and lately ad nauseum by the Lauder group. Oud has had its moment in the spotlight ... it's time to move on!!
Sahara Noir is just another floral, amber-centric and 'incensy' fragrance, which imho has been done much better by the likes of Montale, Nejma and by Killian. In fact, Sahara Noir bears a remarkable resemblance to Amber Oud made by Calice Becker for byKillian ... who has also worked for Lauder and Ford. The mind boggles at thoughts of formulae being altered infinitesimally to create yet another 'new' and 'exciting' launch. Perhaps my nose is just not sophisticated enough to smell the differences. There is LOTS of Labdanum here, which makes this fragrance smell more like high Mass on a Sunday morning than hot wind driving over the desolate expanses of the Saharan wastes. Perhaps the main tent of a wealthy bedouin smells like this when the incense braziers are lit for the night.

At the end of the day, Sahara Noir is overpriced for what it is ... a chemical Amber/ Floral/Oud that reminds of too many others. Don't even stop here ... just move on by!

Sahara Nights
Oriental? In every sense. Floral? Hardly. The Egyptian jasmine carries more life than the Moroccan rose, but initially present to contribute balance. For the first few seconds Sahara Noir is calm, like the eye of a storm. Then there is a whirlwind of notes wafting aggressively. Through smoke and sand, sweet cedar and oud emerge. How appropriate for the classic Tom Ford flacon to be made gold, as it represents the remarkable royal resins used in eastern luxury. Like most of Tom Ford's fragrances, Sahara Noir is acquired taste.

AmberScentAmberScent 9 months ago
It's woody, very balsamic and resinous and quite dry. You can find this scent inside a berber tent in northern Atlas. A true desert scent.
HajuvanaHajuvana 4 years ago
Dust on a light bulb, the interior of a smoker's car (Little Tree hanging from the rear-view mirror) and a baroque still-life with fruit.

by Ergreifend
by loewenherz
by Taamii
by Taamii

Popular Tom Ford

Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather 16 by Tom Ford Noir Extreme (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Beau de Jour (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Lost Cherry by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Vert d'Encens by Tom Ford Oud Wood (Body Spray) by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud Intense by Tom Ford Amber Absolute by Tom Ford White Suede by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua by Tom Ford Oud Wood Intense by Tom Ford