Sahara Noir 2013

Sahara Noir by Tom Ford
7.8 / 10 242 Ratings
Sahara Noir is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for women and was released in 2013. The scent is smoky-resinous. The longevity is above-average. The production was apparently discontinued. Pronunciation

Main accords

Smoky
Resinous
Spicy
Oriental
Woody

Fragrance Pyramid

Top Notes Top Notes Bitter orangeBitter orange CalamusCalamus CistusCistus CypressCypress
Heart Notes Heart Notes BeeswaxBeeswax JasmineJasmine PapyrusPapyrus RoseRose FrankincenseFrankincense CinnamonCinnamon
Base Notes Base Notes AmbreinolAmbreinol BalsamBalsam BenzoinBenzoin LabdanumLabdanum OudOud VanillaVanilla Frankincense resinFrankincense resin CedarCedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 14.11.2022.

8 in-depth fragrance descriptions
Top Review 21
Except for the Venus symbol everything is just right here
... because the name and many of the ingredients are very much the same as those experienced today. Actually a smoky (Noir), dry (Desert) Oriental (Sahra), which I would have assigned to the Amouage Man series at a blind tasting stante pede. This is really a straight crossover. Scratchy by the incense and mild by vanilla and rose. Something friendly and lively is presumably added by the bitter orange. And the beeswax explains to me this dusty dryness. This characteristic is called "damped" with me, like covered with velour. A feeling like moving your hands in dry cement or lime until the last bit of moisture has disappeared from your skin.

I am really very limited regarding my scent preferences, and therefore it can happen after a certain total number of scents that after a break of a few months you either don't have a clear assignment to a scent anymore, or you think of several scent twins. Although Sahara Noir is not one of my favourite drywood scents, I immediately remembered it after a millisecond. This is not so easy for me with many fragrances from this direction, although I sometimes like them even better. The recognition value is really impressive. And all the more incomprehensible is therefore the cessation of the production of this "solitaire".

Unfortunately, today I was somehow not ready for this fragrance. I never really give much thought to what I'm gonna wear. Unless they are extreme "beasts" that one prefers not to wear out of consideration for the environment. But sometimes you notice during the course of the day that it just doesn't fit today. That happens with me sometimes even if I have occupied the days before with fragrances from another direction. From today's point of view, I'd almost take him out. But I could regret that bitterly in two weeks, because it is without doubt very, very well done. And that also applies to durability and Sillage, which this bottle, kitschy in my eyes, did not let expect.
Top Review 15
A transcendental experience
When I entered perfumery with a desire for incense fragrances, this gift from the Orient was recommended to me. As soon as I had the scent in my nose, I closed my eyes and felt as if I had entered the most beautiful cathedral in the world. The incense embraced me and invited me to explore the darker mysteries of the world. My husband unfortunately doesn't like the scent on me at all, but for me Sahara Noir remains my great love. A fragrance that I can imagine very well also on men. As for women, I can only imagine it with strong personalities who fill the room as soon as they enter it. Self-confident, far from being naive or childish. Sahara Noir - worthy of a goddess who proudly stands on a gallery and listens to the concert given for her.

Very helpful Review 11
How niche became mainstream ...
My disdain of Tom Ford is well documented ... this is a house owned by the Lauder group and as such, I don't really see these fragrances as being in any way 'special' or even worth the money that they are sold at. This is simply big business trading off a niche concept ... which is how 'niche' became mainstream.

There is nothing wrong with this fragrance per sé ... except that this concept has been done to death by pretty much every fragrance house out there ... and lately ad nauseum by the Lauder group. Oud has had its moment in the spotlight ... it's time to move on!!
Sahara Noir is just another floral, amber-centric and 'incensy' fragrance, which imho has been done much better by the likes of Montale, Nejma and by Killian. In fact, Sahara Noir bears a remarkable resemblance to Amber Oud made by Calice Becker for byKillian ... who has also worked for Lauder and Ford. The mind boggles at thoughts of formulae being altered infinitesimally to create yet another 'new' and 'exciting' launch. Perhaps my nose is just not sophisticated enough to smell the differences. There is LOTS of Labdanum here, which makes this fragrance smell more like high Mass on a Sunday morning than hot wind driving over the desolate expanses of the Saharan wastes. Perhaps the main tent of a wealthy bedouin smells like this when the incense braziers are lit for the night.

At the end of the day, Sahara Noir is overpriced for what it is ... a chemical Amber/ Floral/Oud that reminds of too many others. Don't even stop here ... just move on by!

Very helpful Review 7
Sahara Nights
Oriental? In every sense. Floral? Hardly. The Egyptian jasmine carries more life than the Moroccan rose, but initially present to contribute balance. For the first few seconds Sahara Noir is calm, like the eye of a storm. Then there is a whirlwind of notes wafting aggressively. Through smoke and sand, sweet cedar and oud emerge. How appropriate for the classic Tom Ford flacon to be made gold, as it represents the remarkable royal resins used in eastern luxury. Like most of Tom Ford's fragrances, Sahara Noir is acquired taste.

Helpful Review 6
Adorable, addictive but, not actually anything new.
Can I begin by saying that I've just got this today and I'm in love with it. I'm generally an amber and incense fan so it came as no surprise that it was love at first sniff.

I used to have this lovely little fragrance called Gucci Pour Homme, Sahara Noir reminds me of this so much that it is uncanny. The difference being that Sahara Noir is more unrelenting in it's insistence to be noticed, Gucci Pour Homme was a bit more layered.

For what it is Sahara Noir is extraordinarily hyped and overpriced. I still bought it and like it though.
More reviews

3 short views on the fragrance
ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
It isn't a sweet or greedy amber. It's a structured amber infused with the intense smoke that is incense and the leather that is labdanum.
AmberScentAmberScent 3 years ago
It's woody, very balsamic and resinous and quite dry. You can find this scent inside a berber tent in northern Atlas. A true desert scent.
HajuvanaHajuvana 6 years ago
Dust on a light bulb, the interior of a smoker's car (Little Tree hanging from the rear-view mirror) and a baroque still-life with fruit.

Pie Chart Radar Chart

Images

14 fragrance photos of the community
More images

Popular by Tom Ford

Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Lost Cherry (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Beau de Jour (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme Parfum by Tom Ford Ombré Leather Parfum by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Amber Absolute by Tom Ford Eau de Soleil Blanc by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud Intense by Tom Ford Oud Minérale by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua by Tom Ford Black Orchid Parfum by Tom Ford