Tobacco Oud (2013)

Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford

Tobacco Oud is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for women and men and was released in 2013. The scent is woody-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Tobacco, Oud, Sandalwood, Patchouli

Submitted by Freeestyler, last update on 13.09.2019

6.0 10.0 10.0 9.0/10

One word: Powerful
Background story:
Tobacco oud was one of the first private collection scents that I tried from any designer. Back then, I was quite new to the niche world of fragrances and "Tom Ford" was one of those impotant names that I have heard about but where I haven't had any further knowledge about them. Anyway, I was browsing in the internet about TF scents that I was potentially going to like and this was at a time when Tobacco Oud was hyped by a few Youtubers. Anyway, I decided to give this one my first TF try whenever I am going to get the next chance.
In August 2018, I went to Hamburg, Germany. It was more than 30°C/86°F outside and I went to the TF counter at the "Alsterhaus" in Hamburg to try Tobacco Oud. I have have to be honest, I disliked the fragrance at this moment like I never disliked any scent before. To me it was too dry, ashy, smoky...just badly overwhelming (I am a non-smoking person). Fortunatly, I kept the sprayed card with me and went back to the hotel to go to the pool and refresh myself. Before I went to the pool, I left the card in my room. I came back to the room about 90mins later and while I was opening the door I noticed a really nice and comforting but still meaningful smell in the room (20°C inside). As I found out, it was coming from the card. The lesson I learned that day is: the perception of scents is incredibly depending on the environment and the ambient conditions, where you are smelling it.
In October 2018, I went to London, tried Tobacco Oud again a few times, felt more and more in love with it and finally bought it at the Heathrow airport.

Things about Tobacco Oud that come in my mind:
- strong, rich, dark, powerful, mature, purposeful
- very polarising, statement-maker
- headache inducing at too high temperatures, incredibly pleasant at cooler temperatures
- only for autumn nights or wintertime (less than 15°C/59°F)
- best at formal events or in suit-and-tie scenarios
- max. 5 sprays (usually 3-4 is enough), don't spray clothes it will stick there forever
- opposite of a blind buy, should be tested serveral times in cooler environment
- has to grow on you, its beauty lies in the sillage and the dry down (smell it from a distance (30cm) & 1h after being sprayed)

Scent:
- starts with very dry and smoky tobacco (first 30mins)
- oud is there but never an overly dominant note during the whole lifetime
- after 1h some boozy elements come through and the tobacco becomes less dry (this is where the scent really starts to shine

subjective rating: 9
It has grown on me to this high rating because for me this is one of those scents that have immediately the ability to enhance my confidence and make me feel: strong, rich, dark, powerful, mature, purposeful
objective rating: 7
I do think its a highly polarising scent especially if you are smelling it for the first time. I do see more people liking it than disliking it but I am pretty sure that ratings will be on both sides of the spectrum

Longevity:
- Stays on my skin for at least 12h

rating: 10/10 (1p / 1hour)

Sillage:
I do notice it lingering around me after 5h.

rating: 10/10 (1p / 30mins)

Bottle/Packaging:
Typical TF Private Blend bottle. Not bad but nothing special either for this high price.

rating: 6/10
9.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

DarkWinterCS
I'm the cute little smoking man and I'm gonna smoke you full
Tobacco Oud is not only the second oud fragrance from the Wood series, but also the second tobacco fragrance that has to compete with Tobacco Vanilla. Tobacco Oud is often seen as the masculine, strong and smoky brother. Like some of us, I saw the fragrance for the first time in a video by our well-known YouTubers, who sees it as the best Tom Ford fragrance and describes it as a CEO fragrance.
After my own tests, I can definitely say that it is a fragrance that requires self-confidence in any case and can already be said to be extreme. Because this one splits guaranteed, even more than the Tobacco Vanilla, although I have rated it worse.

As I already mentioned in my blog about the Private Blend series, the success of Oud Wood has given Tom Ford enough leeway to publish such fragrances as well. Because this way of creating tobacco scents also means that for someone who hates this scent, the money is in no way worth it. I would even consider the fragrance to be very experimental and expressionistic, something polarizing and deliberately provocative.

In the first attempt I had sprayed the scent off the warm parts of the body. In the beginning it developed quite cool, smoky with light notes of ash. Please do not misunderstand this, no stinging ashes, rather a tendency towards peat smoke. At the second attempt it was on a heavily circulated spot. Here began the fragrance as it becomes in the heart note. With a light peat smoke, mixed with warm, sweet tobacco and some spice. At the beginning I looked a bit disbelieving, because I could not imagine the development. However, this warm and soft-sweet tobacco note becomes the highlight of the perfume because it is courageous and convincing.

My conclusion is that this fragrance is one that shows Tom Ford's way of creating different and courageous perfumes. Because one is only convincing in an artistic way when one moves away from the masses and designs things that divide, provoke, and sometimes go beyond the strands. Very intense and touching, at the same time in a way repulsive and seductive.
In conclusion, I would not describe him as a CEO fragrance, because he can be too scared for that. Because especially in narrow rooms the scent is very filling.
7.0 8.0 5.5/10

Are you all right, Tom?
Actually, I like many different scents, whether with rose or spicy woody scents. They may be a little cute, too, but discreet.
So now for the fragrance Tom Ford - Tobacco Oud:
I had the scent bottled and it smells like tobacco, not the sweet tobacco, but rather a dirty tobacco that has already been smoked. I sprayed it on my skin and somehow I don't like it there either. In the beginning: Too dirty, too linear.
Dry-down: Still the same smell. Where's oud, sandalwood and patchouli?

In the old days, pubs stank better after a night of drinking. Good that Mr. Ford also has better fragrances in his portfolio. This one won't even get into my top 20.
How do you get rid of that smell?
Have tried layering and see dar, Bond No.9 Little Italy, of which I'm not convinced either, creates improvement and tames the smell a little, probably by the artificial citrus parts.

Conclusion: Will remain for me only at the bottling.

I'm already looking forward to vanilla fatale
8.0 5.0 8.0 5.0/10

Shock severe distress :)
At first I thought I fell into an ashtray (maybe I'm hypersensitive as an ex-smoker). The actual smell had only after about an hour ´ne chance to score with me after this "smell explosion". But did this only moderately. Definitely not for beginners like me this scent.
10.0 8.0 7.0 9.5/10

Crazy smell!!!
As the headline already reveals, this is a fragrance that simply has that certain something. I don't think it's the typical CEO fragrance or a fragrance that requires self-confidence, but it's definitely different from many other fragrances. For me this fragrance is a MIX of tobacco and sweetness, which fits perfectly together! I am curious myself how my fellow men perceive this scent! For people who are looking for something different and something extraordinary, I can only recommend this fragrance!

Walking the line...
So, with Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford, I feel this fragrance really treads a line here. This is a little more than tobacco and oud, although they each present themselves in different ways. I detect a hay-like quality to the dry tobacco here which mixes with an ambery, yet medicinal oud to make something quite heady and intoxicating. This one can be heavy. I have read that the inspiration for this came from "dokha" (p.s. the word in Arabic, ????, literally means "dizzyness"). In other words, a very strong blend of tobacco and herbs designed to give the smoker a hit-like buzz when they inhale. In this fashion, the fragrance succeeds. It's like herbal tobacco smoke mixed with oud smoke. It's a smokey fragrance!

Again, it's up to you whether it's something you want to smell like. It is wearable of course, I would just exercise caution here and I do believe that a little would go a long way. Very intoxicating in a burnt wood and sweet tobacco kind of way. It's an interesting and intriguing one to say the least.

Ford goes indie
Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford opens with a smoky, warm and sophisticated woody-tobacco blend, bearing a nice and quite simple juxtaposition between a (so-called) oud note – quite unsubstantial as basically any of these Western ouds, but pleasant enough, and pleasantly “shady” – and a really compelling and good tobacco note: rich, slightly humid, sweet and aromatic, with floral nuances and a sticky, dark boozy heart. Initially Tobacco Oud is discreetly mellow and sweet, then as times passes is progressively becomes darker, denser, unleashing the main tobacco accord which brings Tobacco Oud closer and closer (as weird as it may sound) to some indie niche tobacco scents like Jeke by Slumberhouse and above all, Tabac Aurea by Sonoma Scent Studio – with just a hint of Donna Karan’s Black Cashmere (because of some spices, perhaps). The oud note lasts for really short, leaving only a sort of pale, smoky-rubbery nuance beneath the rest. The central phases of Tobacco Oud are quite mostly centered on tobacco, which as I said is really good and vibrant, and remarkably similar to the names I mentioned – which to some extent, is good in my opinion, as it shows a fresher “indie” side of Tom Ford; but on the other side, well, it’s hard not to think of a bit of a ripoff... anyway, although too expensive and a bit derivative, Tobacco Oud smells undoubtedly good, solid and refined. Great persistence.

7/10
7.5 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Blessed are the sleek...
-Take 100ml of Lagavulin 16 Years Old or any other single malt smoke bomb coming from Scotland.
-Add 25gr of Craven extra dark Virginia aromatic tobacco.
-Hide it inside an Eastern Orthodox church's pulpit for two months.
-Be careful to choose one with a wooden pulpit.
-Shake it vigorously every Sunday morning after the mass.
-In the meanwhile grow a beard.
-Wear it and try to trick the local laity into believing that you're the newly appointed priest of their parish. If they start kissing your divinely smelling hand, then you've done it right.
-Now, enjoy the 200+ bucks you've saved, by buying 4-5 topnotch fragrances that do not reek with "holier-than-thou" pricing.
-Repeat periodically.
10.0 10.0 7.5 9.0/10

Splashfrag12
A harsh tobacco perfume !!
Tom Ford tobacco Oud isn't something like sweet tobacco.Its the harsh tobacco that hits your face the moment you spray on your skin.This perfume need time to grow on your body else it will be a big time loser scent.Guys dnt think it to be in league of tobacco perfumes like Mugler Pure Havane,Kilian Back to Black .
The oud and tobacco combo is not something as a crowd pleaser.
Not a bad fragrance just that its a bold and daring perfume that needs class to wear.!!!
All said :)
Enjoy Folks
1.0/10

Tom Ford's Skanky Ash
The hype mill will have one believe this is the child of the now-defunct Amber Absolute. Absolutely not. Na-ah! Thumbs and big toes percipitously down on this pee-yewer. It does start off with great promise - all that mystical, ambery, oudy, incensey miasma emanating from an ancient, middle-eastern pot of gold and amethyst.

Cut to an hour later: the pot metamorphoses into a goddam ashtray full to the brim with tobacco ash and - dare I say it - a tobacco smoker's a$$, and continues this olfactory onslaught for the rest of the day.

(And this isn't just my skin's interpretation. Even the TF sales assistant here in London confided to personally hating it).

If the perfumer was trying to rework Amber Absolute into a more saleable product, he/she must've been smoking something when they made this. Get thee back to the lab whence you came!

Hermesh 3 years ago
Soft ambery wood with a fine alcoholic-fruity (plum) tobacco note. Maybe a bit too heavy, otherwise refined and wearable for many occasions.
10.0

by Toreter
by Splashfrag12
by Splashfrag12

Popular Tom Ford

Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Black Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme by Tom Ford Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Neroli Portofino (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Velvet Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford For Men (Eau de Toilette) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford White Patchouli by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Soleil Blanc (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford Violet Blonde by Tom Ford