Tobacco Oud (2013)

Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford

Tobacco Oud is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for women and men and was released in 2013. The scent is woody-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Tobacco, Oud, Sandalwood, Patchouli

Submitted by Freeestyler, last update on 28.05.2020.

Bastian
Tobacco Oud wants to go to the lounge
My first TF was Oud Wood and is still one of my favourite fragrances today.
I got curious about Tobacco Oud through the famous YouTuber. Here on Parfumo I read a lot and became even more curious. Then ordered 10 ml in the souk.
I think the tobacco oud composition is harmoniously balanced. I also clearly point out both of them Is it always wearable? Straight "no"! I think the scent tells us when it wants to be worn. It's the evening in the lounge or the classy bar. Cigars, whiskey, scotch, rum. Quiet conversation, enjoyment. . ..................................................................................................................................................................................................... A fragrance for seasoned men who know what they want or alpha animals who clearly point the way.
I (45 years old) would not recommend the fragrance to men under 30 years old. Does not come across as authentic.
Very present fragrance with good shelf life. A fragrance that you wear only for yourself. I like it, but like I said, only for the special moments
Sinairq
He who is praised in heaven.....
. . .he finds it hard to live up to the expectations that have been built up.
I came across Tom Ford and his fragrances at the beginning of my olfactory obsession rather by chance and was rather deterred by the huge price tag that goes with it.
Tobacco Oud, Oud Wood and Tobacco Vanilla were the most common candidates, but they kept coming back and being raved about over and over again.
Especially the TO was described very appealingly. Very masculine, a CEO fragrance, someone who makes decisions + the oud represented in the name in combination with tobacco ? Must be tested !

And what can I say, I'm kind of disappointed First of all I like the scent and it is really nice, but unfortunately it is miles behind what I expected.
Tobacco oud smells to me like my youth I had a buddy with whom I spent quite a lot of time and as luck would have it, his grandfather who lived next door had his own "party cellar" with all the trimmings.
A bulging filled Spitiruosen shelf, Edele cigars, a house bar + counter, a gambling machine and a dartboard. The interior beautiful with old dark wood and everything ruined by a much too oversized Shisha in the middle of the room And that's roughly how TO smells to me, after this cellar, which is often overheated in winter After some warmth. In the top note somehow a little bit of schnapps, like the bar into which over the years something has seeped out of the bottle or glass from time to time.
Only quite far away woody. Throughout somehow sweetish, resinous, creamy and reminiscent of old, not quite dry tobacco. More like shisha tobacco with a little bit of molasses poured over it.
A place where you could spend a lot of time and just decelerate.
Long relaxed evenings with the boys, simply a pub/men's club feeling.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------br />
All in all, Tobacco Oud doesn't come across as "extremely masculine" or "hard" to me No alpha male who has to distinguish himself, no cool calculating tough CEO, no young hotspur.

TO does not want to be any of them. He is the well-to-do somewhat aging gentleman who spends his time in upscale bars. The guy who already has his flock on dry land and can now enjoy his old age without fear or existential anxiety.
The fragrance radiates something, no question about it.
But it is mMn far less polarizing than it is represented.
Also loud or blatantly obtrusive, I find it absolutely not, durability / projection and Sillage are in the good range, but if I compare it with a Black Phantom of Kilian who, with 1-2 splashes, projects all the pub visitors away from me to the door so that I have the room for myself alone, the TF TO falls by the wayside. So very well suited for everyday use in my eyes, only whether you want to smell like this in the office or in customer contact ... well.

A fragrance with a few rough edges that the Intense version smoothes out, but still knows how to please.
I had hoped for a "more blatant board" with the celebrity tobacco and oud title, but I am still convinced that it is worthwhile for almost every man to buy one.
Just to let your mind wander a little in the quiet hours with a glass, an open fire, a book or whatever you prefer to relax.
Chizza
The oud is for cigarettes
First of all: I won't write a novel but I would like to say a few words because I really appreciate this fragrance and this was my first Tom Ford fragrance. Today, as a friend of leather scents, it is sometimes forgotten.

I knew Oud had always been my case, but I didn't even notice that somehow after a few minutes I went to get cigarettes and never came back. Anyway, the tobacco smells pleasant, not too intrusive sweet. If we take Tobacco Reserve from Aramis as a comparison, the latter is actually sweet. Tom Ford has taken the sweetness away from him, at least partly. The tobacco "breathes" through the sandalwood. Exciting, although not a particularly innovative scent. Tobacco Oud shines rather through its very coherent overall picture and as often with TF through its performance. 12 hours are not uncommon on my skin and the perfume still sends scent clouds towards my nose. At the same time, the fragrance is not so strong, even for those who find such ingredients so off-putting, that it would be unwearable in the office.

Everything well dosed, everything appropriately staged. I'm not a TF-fanboy but in terms of price this is also ok if I look at the same price segment but much more half-baked ideas and lousy performances.
Warming masculinity
Hello everyone, I am new at Parfumo, am happy to be part of it and have once one of my fragrances to comment rausgesucht.
When I sprayed Tobacco Oud on my wrist for the first time, I immediately thought no, this won't be my fragrance! At this time it has a rather old and musty smell which I did not like at all.
I didn't think about it further because I had a business appointment and was late During the car ride I sniffed my wrist again and I liked it better and I thought to wait and see.
After the appointment, now with a clear head, I dealt more intensively with the fragrance and came to the conclusion that it is great! I've got to have it! (-:

Occasionally I like to smoke a good cigar, love the smell of smoke.
Tobacco Oud has a spicy tobacco note which is not too bad, though I also smell a strong resinous note which reminds me more of incense than oud. I only take oud at the beginning, otherwise it was hardly at all.
The whole thing is accompanied by a slightly woody note.
Through this composition, this is a very masculine fragrance which is simply great!

Especially because of the resinous note, I liked it very much at Christmas time.
Just fits together well.
Generally the scent warms you up when it's really cold Otherwise I like to wear it in the evening when I go for a drink with my buddies
Durability is super!
The scent is constantly present and is also easily perceived by itself! Lasts 10 hours without any problems and cannot be shaken off by a short shower.
The scent does not come out of the clothes until the next wash cycle.
Sillage is also well perceived by others.

The fragrance is definitely not suitable for everyone.
Many may like it but just as many will not be enthusiastic about it.
Just a matter of taste, but that's just as well

Tobacco Goud
Been a long time coming with this review. Private blend releases ever since the original launch in 2007 have been a bit hit and miss for me, particularly in the last couple of years. I hope you enjoy the review, thanks for watching.

The self-confident Alpha loner
After I had fallen for OL16 from Tom Ford, Tuscan Heather and also Oud Wood, I decided after a lot of research that I'm not willing to spend so much money on perfumes anymore.
Alternatives like Rasasi LaYuqawam have shown me that you can have great scents for half the money.

But my common sense didn't expect me to discover Tobacco Oud.
And all this at an unbeatable price. I couldn't help it, I had to have him, because this scent, as much as it scared me off on the sample paper, so much I fell in love with him on my skin.

A fragrance that I don't need to describe further, that was described here in detail by other colleagues.
Yes, it smells like tobacco, yes he smells a little (at first). Yes, Oud is weakly represented, yes, Amber is heard and the whisky strongly at the beginning.
DEN. I WANTED TO. I AM. HAVE.

This scent is not an "I want to please everybody" scent.
No. You have to wear this fragrance with confidence. With a good portion of "I don't give a F*ck".
Either the environment will love the scent on you, or hate it.
And no matter which variant it will be, you shouldn't care what others think about the scent.
Yeah, that's the kind of attitude you need for Tobacco Oud.
A scent like a real man, like from a textbook. Almost for a clichéd man.
None of these soft rinsed Sunnyboys with full body hair removal.
For this fragrance one needs the certain Sprezzatura. Self-confidence 11/10 is definitely a prerequisite.
TO is for a man sitting in a suit smoking cigar and drinking whisky in a lounge.
Or one of those on his new Harley to the WallStreet drives up with black Saint Laurent leather jacket.
A CEO scent like here some write. Yes. But no ordinary CEO. No CEO in professional life. A CEO in private life. A leader who radiates this Alpha leader. Just an alpha loner who can't be influenced by the opinions of others.
But not for the classic show-off that wants to impress everyone and is always the focus of attention.

Such a scent is that, controversial, no everybody-pleaser.
But he doesn't want to be.
Dark, dirty, smoky, controversial, just awesome.

One word: Powerful
Background story:
Tobacco oud was one of the first private collection scents that I tried from any designer. Back then, I was quite new to the niche world of fragrances and "Tom Ford" was one of those impotant names that I have heard about but where I haven't had any further knowledge about them. Anyway, I was browsing in the internet about TF scents that I was potentially going to like and this was at a time when Tobacco Oud was hyped by a few Youtubers. Anyway, I decided to give this one my first TF try whenever I am going to get the next chance.
In August 2018, I went to Hamburg, Germany. It was more than 30°C/86°F outside and I went to the TF counter at the "Alsterhaus" in Hamburg to try Tobacco Oud. I have have to be honest, I disliked the fragrance at this moment like I never disliked any scent before. To me it was too dry, ashy, smoky...just badly overwhelming (I am a non-smoking person). Fortunatly, I kept the sprayed card with me and went back to the hotel to go to the pool and refresh myself. Before I went to the pool, I left the card in my room. I came back to the room about 90mins later and while I was opening the door I noticed a really nice and comforting but still meaningful smell in the room (20°C inside). As I found out, it was coming from the card. The lesson I learned that day is: the perception of scents is incredibly depending on the environment and the ambient conditions, where you are smelling it.
In October 2018, I went to London, tried Tobacco Oud again a few times, felt more and more in love with it and finally bought it at the Heathrow airport.

Things about Tobacco Oud that come in my mind:
- strong, rich, dark, powerful, mature, purposeful
- very polarising, statement-maker
- headache inducing at too high temperatures, incredibly pleasant at cooler temperatures
- only for autumn nights or wintertime (less than 15°C/59°F)
- best at formal events or in suit-and-tie scenarios
- max. 5 sprays (usually 3-4 is enough), don't spray clothes it will stick there forever
- opposite of a blind buy, should be tested serveral times in cooler environment
- has to grow on you, its beauty lies in the sillage and the dry down (smell it from a distance (30cm) & 1h after being sprayed)

Scent:
- starts with very dry and smoky tobacco (first 30mins)
- oud is there but never an overly dominant note during the whole lifetime
- after 1h some boozy elements come through and the tobacco becomes less dry (this is where the scent really starts to shine

subjective rating: 9
It has grown on me to this high rating because for me this is one of those scents that have immediately the ability to enhance my confidence and make me feel: strong, rich, dark, powerful, mature, purposeful
objective rating: 7
I do think its a highly polarising scent especially if you are smelling it for the first time. I do see more people liking it than disliking it but I am pretty sure that ratings will be on both sides of the spectrum

Longevity:
- Stays on my skin for at least 12h

rating: 10/10 (1p / 1hour)

Sillage:
I do notice it lingering around me after 5h.

rating: 10/10 (1p / 30mins)

Bottle/Packaging:
Typical TF Private Blend bottle. Not bad but nothing special either for this high price.

rating: 6/10
DarkWinterCS
I'm the cute little smoking man and I'm gonna smoke you full
Tobacco Oud is not only the second oud fragrance from the Wood series, but also the second tobacco fragrance that has to compete with Tobacco Vanilla. Tobacco Oud is often seen as the masculine, strong and smoky brother. Like some of us, I saw the fragrance for the first time in a video by our well-known YouTubers, who sees it as the best Tom Ford fragrance and describes it as a CEO fragrance.
After my own tests, I can definitely say that it is a fragrance that requires self-confidence in any case and can already be said to be extreme. Because this one splits guaranteed, even more than the Tobacco Vanilla, although I have rated it worse.

As I already mentioned in my blog about the Private Blend series, the success of Oud Wood has given Tom Ford enough leeway to publish such fragrances as well. Because this way of creating tobacco scents also means that for someone who hates this scent, the money is in no way worth it. I would even consider the fragrance to be very experimental and expressionistic, something polarizing and deliberately provocative.

In the first attempt I had sprayed the scent off the warm parts of the body. In the beginning it developed quite cool, smoky with light notes of ash. Please do not misunderstand this, no stinging ashes, rather a tendency towards peat smoke. At the second attempt it was on a heavily circulated spot. Here began the fragrance as it becomes in the heart note. With a light peat smoke, mixed with warm, sweet tobacco and some spice. At the beginning I looked a bit disbelieving, because I could not imagine the development. However, this warm and soft-sweet tobacco note becomes the highlight of the perfume because it is courageous and convincing.

My conclusion is that this fragrance is one that shows Tom Ford's way of creating different and courageous perfumes. Because one is only convincing in an artistic way when one moves away from the masses and designs things that divide, provoke, and sometimes go beyond the strands. Very intense and touching, at the same time in a way repulsive and seductive.
In conclusion, I would not describe him as a CEO fragrance, because he can be too scared for that. Because especially in narrow rooms the scent is very filling.
5.5
Are you all right, Tom?
Actually, I like many different scents, whether with rose or spicy woody scents. They may be a little cute, too, but discreet.
So now for the fragrance Tom Ford - Tobacco Oud:
I had the scent bottled and it smells like tobacco, not the sweet tobacco, but rather a dirty tobacco that has already been smoked. I sprayed it on my skin and somehow I don't like it there either. In the beginning: Too dirty, too linear.
Dry-down: Still the same smell. Where's oud, sandalwood and patchouli?

In the old days, pubs stank better after a night of drinking. Good that Mr. Ford also has better fragrances in his portfolio. This one won't even get into my top 20.
How do you get rid of that smell?
Have tried layering and see dar, Bond No.9 Little Italy, of which I'm not convinced either, creates improvement and tames the smell a little, probably by the artificial citrus parts.

Conclusion: Will remain for me only at the bottling.

I'm already looking forward to vanilla fatale
Shock severe distress :)
At first I thought I fell into an ashtray (maybe I'm hypersensitive as an ex-smoker). The actual smell had only after about an hour ´ne chance to score with me after this "smell explosion". But did this only moderately. Definitely not for beginners like me this scent.

HermeshHermesh 4 years ago
Soft ambery wood with a fine alcoholic-fruity (plum) tobacco note. Maybe a bit too heavy, otherwise refined and wearable for many occasions.

by DarkWinterCS
by Toreter
by Splashfrag12
by Splashfrag12

Popular Tom Ford

Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather 16 by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Lost Cherry by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Beau de Jour (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Wood (Body Spray) by Tom Ford Vert d'Encens by Tom Ford Amber Absolute by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua by Tom Ford White Suede by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud Intense by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford