Velvet Orchid 2014Eau de Parfum

Velvet Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford
Velvet Orchid (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for women and was released in 2014. The scent is floral-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Honey, Mandarin orange Orpur®, Vanilla
Heart Notes Heart NotesCattleya orchid, Jasmine absolute, Magnolia, Orange blossom
Base Notes Base NotesLabdanum, Myrrh Orpur®, Sandalwood

Submitted by Michael, last update on 21.11.2020.

The face of the advertising campaign is model Gigi Hadid.

DonJuanDeCat
Almost got killed again... but only almost!
Hi guys, welcome to one of my latest comments. Today it's about a fragrance where I had to think twice whether I wanted to test it at all. Because once again it's about one of those orchid scents by Tom Ford, which all normally smell cruel to me. I thought Orchid Soleil was cruel, and Black Orchid is for me the epitome of olfactory death... the scent of death, because it smells so disgusting that you can run away! And now I come to Velvet Orchid. What was I thinking?

Of course I feel queasy, because I can almost imagine how things will turn out... it will surely be horrible and I will moan and complain and scold, how one can use such fragrances at all without having masochistic as well as sadistic tendencies... but I do it as so often only for you, and you are never grateful... pah!

I've had the sample for this fragrance for quite a while now, but I've been waiting for cooler days, so that I don't get killed the first time I sniff it, should it smell like black orchid, because this one is really like a chemical bomb, especially in summer, that poisons and extinguishes everything around it. At least the EDP... what the EDT is like, I don't know... maybe I should test it? I don't know... you're never grateful anyway, tsss..
All right, then take a deep breath and hold it while I test the scent... whatever that is :D

The smell:
The fragrance starts with a slightly sweetish honey scent before the striking and in my opinion quite unusual scent of orchid sets in. This orchid is getting stronger and stronger, so that immediately memories of the plague,... I meant the black death... oh you know, I mean Black Orchid wake up. And yes,... in places it smells really horrible just minutes after you put the scent on.
The scent of the orchid is not a nice or lovely floral note, it is also not dry and stuffy as flowers can sometimes smell. And it certainly does not smell as sweet and beautiful as jasmine, lily of the valley, iris and such beautiful flowers. It just smells in such a way that all body hairs straighten up, you turn up your nose and want to run away, but that's not possible, because the scent just sticks to my own arm. And I can't wash it away because I'm still in the head note... *sigh*
Let's get on with it...
A little later I have to admit that the scent improves noticeably and is far from the scent of death. Because now the jasmine and vanilla are really coming into their own and both are killing the cruel orchid :D
The jasmine gives the fragrance a nice, sweetish touch, and the vanilla, which also has a stronger aura, makes the fragrance even powdery and thus gentle. Who would have thought that with an orchid scent by Tom Ford? :DD
A little later the scent doesn't smell so bad at all! It still smells of vanilla, which now radiates more strongly than jasmine, and now there are also softer scents like myrrh, and I think I can smell a little leather or at least suede. Of course I still notice the orchids, I really don't like them, but at least they stay in the background for now.
Aaaaaber: In the base, some of these gentle fragrances become much weaker again, so that the orchid then comes to the fore again and again and starts to stink, well, let's say: releases its scent. Which of course I don't like at all, because its scent really needs getting used to. You ladies will surely like it, because you are not really ticking, but good... :D
All in all a fragrance that starts a little bit gruesome, then even becomes beautiful, but at the end it smells again typically Tom Ford orchid-like, so that for the most part I don't like it that much, but at least it is not as bad as the other orchid scents.

The Sillage and the durability:
The Sillage is strong, not bombastic, but when applied a lot, it fills the room and therefore smells good for a good while. The shelf life is quite long, actually it even lasts the whole day. I could even smell it quite weakly the next morning.

The bottle! The bottle is thin and tall and is rounded towards the neck. It's full of grooves, which gives the bottle a nice look, especially with its beautiful dark purple color. On the front, there's a gold label with the fragrance's name. The cap is cylindrical and also grooved to match.

Conclusion:
Okay... I have to admit that I'm a little surprised by this scent. Although the top note was scary and I was about to run away, the scent developed much better than I expected. At least I liked the middle part, when the beautiful, gentle scents still dominated and the fragrance had a nice sweetness with soft myrrh and powdery vanilla.
But then the scent had to strike back by letting the sow,... uh, the skunk out and the orchid, which had disappeared into the background, shine again...

Thus I find the smell rather intolerable, it smells simply not good for me and it is none of these smells, which I would like to smell personally at you ladies, no there I remain rather permanent single *seeeeeeeufz* :DD
But still: Surprisingly, the scent did not turn out to be a total catastrophe and therefore smells much better than Black Orchid.

In any case, it is best to use it in autumn and winter, otherwise it would be too strenuous on warm days. And as an occasion you could choose things like chase guys away or drive them into despair or... well... you can use it for whatever you want, but biteable and sexy you are not with this scent, no no no no! Of course this is just my opinion, but I hope that at least somebody will agree with me!

Well, that's it. Have a nice evening and see you next time :)
The Personality-Split Counterpart
Velvet Orchid calmly regards it as the therapeutic version of the whimsical black orchid, which is known to be extremely persistent and loud. Especially, however, she captivates with her apparently split personality, which is characterized by the fact that her environment is sometimes enchanted by her lovely appearance, only to be thrown with dirt and filth a few minutes later.

A personality-divided counterpart can cause amazement, curiosity, even admiration, but also rejection and the seizure of flight with his appearance, which is not exactly everyday for others. And at some point the other person himself or his environment realises that help is urgently needed in order to survive in everyday life and not to be too pushed by others and to experience rejection. The loveliness may be perfectly o.k., but bystanders do not expect to be thrown with that already mentioned filth a little later, even if our counterpart with his split personality and the automatically accompanying corners and edges might exert his charm on so many contemporaries. So let the unpredictable counterpart do a therapy and help him to his happiness - for more social participation. It's gonna take a few years, but it's gonna have to be taken.

After eight years of painstaking therapy, we have supported the other person to the effect that he or she pays particular attention to his or her appearance. The naughty, for many so repulsive character traits could be reduced as far as possible. Occasionally they do still flash through, but that cannot be avoided, because it does not get rid of his kind so completely. This has to be put right. Point.
Furthermore, we have managed to ensure that the personality-segregated counterpart now pays more attention to his appearance. The times of unkemptiness, musty clothes and being unwashed are over. The fact that shampoo is used after all these years might be one of the main reasons for this change towards the well-founded. One was discovered with a discreet and therefore pleasant honey aroma. I wonder if it would have used this one before? That is and remains speculation.
We can generally say that his performance is now much cleaner and doesn't let the noses of bystanders wrinkle anymore. But as already stated, we do not get the past of the counterpart out of him in its entirety. For too long, it probably had a formative character. The goal was nevertheless achieved. Our counterpart can now dare to be among the people, less paranoid, to have a seizure at any time and to let his environment look fascinated or escape in disgust. A few curious looks are nevertheless thrown at him from time to time, but this is nothing that would be unpleasant - quite the opposite.
More like withered orchid
In my imagination Velvet Orchid is a beautiful summer scent for me. I like Tom Ford fragrances in general, the individual notes read well and I also like to hold up the honey flag here. So far so good - every year, when it gets warmer again, I try it again with Velvet Orchid. And I'd love to love him so much. Unfortunately the fragrance is unbearable for me for the first 2-3 hours. And even though this phase is over, I'm still far from finding it fabulous.
The opening smells so musty, dusty and dirty for me that I would really like to wash Velvet Orchid off again (which turns out to be very difficult if you try). My nose seems to skip the honey, instead I perceive old, dried up flowers lying on a compost heap. There's such a sultry sweetness about that, if I try, I can hear the flies buzzing around. (Ok, a little I exaggerate perhaps.)
Too bad it didn't work out with us again. You won't be my summer scent in 2018. See you next year!

Adoration
Adoration comes to mind when experiencing this magical lady. She is so smooth and round. Velvet Orchid is the perfect name for her, even though I think she is more velvety than flowery. I can't keep my nose off my wrists when I am wearing her. She belonged to my top 5 fragrances, until I made the acquaintance of Dolce Gabbana pour Femme, and now I had to bump Velvet Orchid off into my top 10 list. But she is still a very important lady to me.

~ Velvet Touch ~
~ Where TFBO notes greet my nose and evokes images of a dark, mysterious and oh so alluring woman. The new "Velvet" is just that an elegant lady with a velvet touch and pure class! Orchid, honey and magnolia announce her presence as she arrives in her evening gown and modest tasteful jewelry of rose and jasmine. Her designer high heels are those of a long lingering vanilla and sandlewood. She has come to charm and her longevity remains well past midnight at the formal ball in the sweet floral sillage of feminine beauty!

Kind Regards, Plat ~

MissBiscuitsMissBiscuits 10 days ago
Similar to Alaia Blanche. AB lasts longer on my skin.
Redsn4pperRedsn4pper 2 months ago
Simply intoxicating. Black Orchid's brighter, sweeter sibling.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 2 years ago
Sexy perfume. Love it!
Jazzy76Jazzy76 2 years ago
Deep, sexy and involving, a typical night or fall-winter perfume for a very feminin and sophisticated woman . Quite good sillage

by Zelena
by ChatonNoir
by FrauMö
by FrauMö

Popular Tom Ford

Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather 16 by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Lost Cherry by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Beau de Jour (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Amber Absolute by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud Intense by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua by Tom Ford Vert d'Encens by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford White Suede (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Minérale by Tom Ford