White Patchouli (2008)

White Patchouli by Tom Ford
White Patchouli (Tom Ford)
White Patchouli is a perfume by Tom Ford for women and was released in 2008. The scent is spicy-floral. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Givaudan

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Coriander, White peony
Heart Notes Heart NotesAmbrette seed, Jasmine, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesWoods, Patchouli, Frankincense

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 16.08.2018

Princess Patchouli...
For me, this is an original take on the world of patchouli. The patchouli here has been cleaned and paired with white flowers. I get a fresh, clean floral smell with a distant patchouli tang in the background. It's interesting because patchouli itself is a multi-faceted note. It has clean aspects to it, as well as a tangy, peppery spicy aspect. People mistake patchouli as being "dirty" but here, it's the complete opposite. The yin and yang of this composition is the balance between the white flowers and the tangy, slightly spicy patchouli. It's very well made and executed.

I have to say that it has surprised me how clean and wearable this is on the whole. I find it an amazing perfume for a woman. I think on a younger woman this would be fantastic to smell. A man can wear it as long as you don't mind the clean, floral aspect to it. I find it refreshing and I can see this working wonders in spring and summer. Tom Ford never ceases to amaze. Whether it's the Private Blend line or this designer line, you get something unique always. This one is worth picking up.

Duplications of Ambrette
This is one of the few I have duplications of: found a bottle cheap because of damaged box: bought it even though I already had it. It's the ambrette musk note that was the occasion of my doing that. I just so love that note. Got a perfume years ago fræ hippy-shop in the form of essential oil, called 'sweet musk'. I have been looking for a perfume that smells like it, & just haven't been able to find one. I do think, on the basis of various reasonings, it was probably primarily ambrette musk.

However, I find it difficult to believe that ^all^ the muskiness of this is due to ambrette musk. If it is, then that's a ^seriously^ poweful one they've got there & are using in this perfume.

Musk is seriously imortant to me. It ^can^ be replaced by other funky components, but even oud is seriously stretched to ^totally^ be a substitute for it. This 'fume is a ^very^ musky one. And also it illustrates the effect whereby a 'fume can rise with time in my estimation. A lot have been doing that recently. Someone recently answered one of my reviews to the effect that it almost never happens to her. I said in reply, and say again, that I think there is probably a way of bringing it about. It's good for it to happen because you can salvage at least part of a large 'fume collection then. 'Salvage' is not really the right word for this one, as I always did find it excellent. So having risen in my estimation it really is extremely high in my estimation, whence the duplicate bottle, which is very rare for me.

It's essentially a supermusky patchouli fragrance - the rest being ancilliary, to my mind. The sheer swooni- shimmeri-ness of the musk seems just too great to be traceable to ambrette musk alone, gorgeous though that supremely lovely perfumery element be. It's heavy & rich & balsamic. That sounds familiar! Oh yes! it's what I wrote about ~African Leather~ by Memo. Yes, this 'fume is quite similar to that one.

I read, perusing the reviews, that there is truffle in this as there is in ~Black Orchid~. Particularly in reference to ~sherapop~, I don't think the purpose of putting animalics in 'fume is quite as brazen as the sending out of an actual °comether° signal: after-all we are not boar, or musk deer, or hyrax, or civet cats! (But I'm sure you know that really!). And perhaps it is the synergy of this truffle note & the ambrette musk that is imparting to it that which I perceive as that very intense muskiness that I have mentioned. A synergy of twain of the great vegetable quasianimalics: that would go a long way towards explaining why Iike this so much.
Bottle 9.0/10 Sillage 9.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 4.0/10
K1
Sweet spicy - creamy - white floral
While great part of new-brand niche houses do their best to have at least one patchouli-optimizing fragrance in their collection, Tom Ford seems to deal ace of spades, with a tarty patchouli covered with thick spice makeup.

It's a super sweet patchouli core enveloped by oozy white jasmine, coriander-coated rose and fungus-like incense. White Patchouli is a floral, creamy, vibrant patchouli. While many women adore it, some hate it strongly and it partially comes from very potent play of syrupy sweetness on skin.
2/5
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 8.0/10
Great white flowers with super pathouli!
White pathouli;
At the beginning I had this fragrance on a test strip done and got a rubber-like vibe. Not so nice. A saleswoman sprayed it on my wrist and advised me to wait. Wow, I was totally in love with this scent and kept sniffing my wrist. The beautiful white flowers mixed with pathouli. Gorgeous. I immediately bought the smell. One of the most beautiful fragrances I've ever smelled. Too bad the body lotion is nowhere available??
Scent 8.0/10
white witch
I have an ambivalent relation with patchouli. The truth is that this ingredient smells wonderfully, but, to me, it tends to get overwhelming after a while in some formulas where i find it too cloying/dirty, or screeching or just predictable and uninteresting.

This is not the case of Tom Ford´s White Patchouli, a house whose export line redeems the, sometimes dissapointing, always aspirational, Private Blend line. White Patchouli, from the export line, has an outstanding lasting power and is a different approach to this classic material.

The patchouli in White Patchouli is kept rather sleek, proper and clean, but it has a ruling position as the name implies. There is a medicinal quality in the opening of this fragance that makes it very interesting, like it belongs to an old fashioned pharmacist or herbalist´s shop. It is also very floral, in this odd, aseptic way, and, I agree, kind of mushroomy. Peppery, bitter, dry zest, dry undergrowth, turpentine-like notes fuse together with luminous flowers (peony and a burning jasmine) on a bed of honeyed tobacco and a patchouli, that may be hard to recognise on this garments.

Thinking what could smell alike this strange but well thought start, i can say it reminds me to the rare beauty of Aromatics Elixir, being all over White Patchouli cleaner, lighter and less complex with a very different performance as we will see.

After a couple hours White Patchouli looses the strange ointment edge from coriander, and a non-indolic jasmine with "golden" rose step forward, becoming a quite beautiful, rather unisex floral as it is balanced with the rich patchouli/sandalwood base and a sweet note that reminds me to hop (the herb it is used to aromatize beer). It has a remarkable tenacity but on the other hand, stays quite close to the skin.

White Patchouli is elegant including the twist of the start; sensual and bewitching, as patchouli is, but behaving with certain demure.
Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Patchouli Flower Salad
Dominated by jasmine, bergamot and patchouli, with a dash of coriander, it feels refreshing to me, like a cool summer salad with an avant-garde twist.

I usually avoid white florals that lack vanilla and spice to, well, drown out the white flowers (think Organza), so when I received a mini of White Patchouli as a gift I did not expect to let it stay on my skin all day. But I got busy and didn't get around to washing it off, and was pleasantly surprised when I began to enjoy it.

It's a soft, sheer, luxurious veil of a perfume with an earthy undertone that prevents it from being just another girly white floral.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 7.0/10
Du Schwein!
I've seen a lot of complaints from reviewers to the effect that Tom Ford WHITE PATCHOULI is conspicuously devoid of patchouli. I have no difficulty detecting patchouli here, but it is definitely mixed up with a lot of other "stuff", some of which I believe to be of the mushroom variety known as truffles.

I recently learned from watching the PBS Nova miniseries "The Mystery of the Senses: Smell" that truffles are pursued by female pigs (who serve as "truffle hounds" to French farmers) because their scent is identical to that of boar musk. Yes, that's right: frisky little pigs burrow deep into the ground in search of some "action" only to find mushrooms! According to the film, some human beings also find that truffles have an aphrodisiac effect. So this is evidently why Tom Ford put truffles in BLACK ORCHID, and I must say that with a couple of spritzes of WHITE PATCHOULI I find myself in a decidedly mushroomy cloud of scent!

The real mystery to me is why so many people cannot smell the patchouli, which far from being MIA seems incredibly strong to me. So strong, in fact, that I would never, ever wear this perfume in public. It's just too suggestive. I have no interest in sending out "come hither" signals to arbitrary strangers. Who does? I ask most sincerely.

As a private boudoir perfume, WHITE PATCHOULI is nice to wear now and then, but it packs a powerful punch of both truffles (or olfactory facsimile) and patchouli, to my nose!
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 7.0/10
White Patchouli
If you combine Patchouli Incense and Fair
Woods your'll get White Patchouli fresh
patchouli from the highest mountains untouched by
time pure and uncut with white flowers circling
around the snow
covered temple dries nicely with bergamot
the middle is a bit floral with peony
not cloying sweet just enough to soften
the dry patchouli opening delicate note
of rose with an velvety touch makes it's
presence known with jasmine a floral
that gives out an greenish earthy scent
and spiced with coriander adds to the warmth
and it dries to an warm note of amber

White Patchouli conjoures beauty
of mountain tops with pure white snow leopards
majestic and elusive blending
in the virgin snow while Lamas with bright
red cloaks circling a round an
a rare white mahogany deity with incense
dancing out to the mountainous abode.
Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
Perfect, Rich, Wealthy Patchouli
White Patchouli is without a doubt one of the best Patchouli fragrances that I have encountered on the market. It smells Rich, Bold, Sexy and quite unisex to my nose. Some people say it smells very feminine, but I think that its bold enough to be worn by both Men and Women.

I think one of the main reasons I love this fragrance is the fact that it is just blended so well, the notes are not competing for my attention, they've just closed into one another and formed a very strong and well put together scent. There are moments where the Patchouli shouts out for attention, but its quite tame and almost muted in this fragrance. Its not in your face and its not obnoxious in the way it is with fragrances like Angel and Tom Ford's Purple Patchouli (which irritates the life out of me).

I think this fragrance would suit confident people, it has an essence about it that just screams of confidence and wealth. But you don't need money to smell like you have it, although ironically you need alot of money to buy this lol. However though this is one of Tom's more affordable fragrances which makes the idea all the more appealing to me. I paid around US$150 for my bottle and its worth every penny. You do however need to be a Patchouli lover to enjoy this fragrance otherwise it'll just be a complete and utter disaster to your senses.

The staying power is fantastic, and the dry-down is just as good as the initial spray on to the skin. I urge everyone to go out and try this fragrance. Its worth a sniff- even if you don't like Patchouli or Tom Ford.

• by FrauLohse by FrauLohse
  • by Hermessenz by Hermessenz
  • by Fran by Fran
  • by Serge by Serge

Popular Tom Ford

Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Black Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme by Tom Ford Velvet Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford For Men (Eau de Toilette) by Tom Ford Neroli Portofino (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford White Patchouli by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Violet Blonde by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Italian Cypress by Tom Ford Extreme (Eau de Toilette) by Tom Ford Soleil Blanc (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Sahara Noir by Tom Ford