White Patchouli 2008

White Patchouli by Tom Ford
White Patchouli is a perfume by Tom Ford for women and was released in 2008. The scent is spicy-floral. The longevity is above-average. It was last marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Coriander, White peony
Heart Notes Heart NotesAmbrette seed, Jasmine, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesWoods, Patchouli, Frankincense

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 20.11.2020.

What lasts long will finally be good
White Patchouli is a very special fragrance for me, because through it I found Parfumo in the net.

I had been looking for a patchouli fragrance that wasn't too gothic, and had come across White Patchouli from some supplier, maybe even Ebay. The "White" in the name made me suspect that it was a light patchouli that might meet my wishes, and so I looked to see if I could find out anything more. I googled and there was a platform called Parfumo...

I was registered with Parfumo. It was so interesting here that I scrolled from fragrance to fragrance, let myself in, lost sight of White Patchouli and first wrote about my existing fragrances comments.
I posted a question about patchouli fragrances in the consulting thread relatively soon, tested some of the recommendations there and found the great Taklamakan. Since White Patchouli, probably by chance, was not recommended to me, he was still out of my mind.

After some time I came back to his side here and remembered that I had thought before that he could be something for me, but I noticed that he had jasmine, even worse, coriander in the pyramid, so I rejected him. A certain kind of jasmine is always good to spoil my scents and coriander green is disgusting in larger quantities, even in food.

After some time I luckily got a sample of White Patchouli.
as an encore in an exchange pack Oha! Yeah, it was definitely jasmine. And, yes, I had guessed correctly, with a bright, very authentic, discreet, light and transparent patchouli, which I liked extraordinarily well. Fortunately the coriander seems to be the seed I like in food, not the green.

So one and a half years ago I posted the following statement here:
"Bergamot, coriander, JASMIN - but no Vernel and hardly any Patchouli.
After weeks of testing, still unclear: "Do I really like that?", but I gave him a rating of 9.
Actually, I should have noticed my own contradiction there already.

It obviously took me a little longer to realize that the short time between the beginning and the fully developed heart note, where the jasmine seems borderline piercing to me, had made me very insecure.

I realized that I had quickly used up the sample and as luck would have it, I got a second one at just the right time so I could test it again and again for a longer time.

Today I believe that it is precisely jasmine that gives White Patchouli the brightness that makes it appear cheerful and light, far from any heavy earthiness. So it's the jasmine that makes the difference that sets White Patchouli apart from so many other patchouli fragrances. The fact that jasmine develops very easily on my skin is ultimately negligible, since in this case the stabbing end luckily disappears very quickly towards the middle of the heart note and gives way to a glistening white-tart and unsweet, cool floridity, which sets the Patchouli dreamlike radiant in scene In the course of time, the fragrance becomes softer and softer. With the base it even gets a tiny hint of sweetness and the patchouli gets a little warmer. The jasmine has now completely lost its sharpness and only contributes its soft, bright light.
White Patchouli lasts the whole day and the next day my clothes smell beguilingly like exactly the bright, cheerful, perfect Patchouli I was looking for back then.

I would like to thank Rebelstar for the bottle that finally adorns my collection.
White Patchouli by Tom Ford
A really complex smell that I don't really like. It is based on this popular blend of rose, patchouli and sandalwood, but the patchouli is intense green, to the point where it is perceived as medicinal and a little rotten. Meanwhile it is very mineral and dry, almost dusty, as if someone had sprayed a rose fragrance on a large, wet, moldy rock. But then it is also somehow plastic or waxy, like paint fumes or even a hint of bleach.

In a way, I enjoy his sexy hip-hop gothic steampunk madness, unnecessarily dark and complex, but still hot, like one of those music videos in which a hot woman sings naked in an antique bathtub full of milk. As such, I appreciate it for its artistic statement, but I still feel that its sexy madness collides with my personality, so I don't really like it.

Princess Patchouli...
For me, this is an original take on the world of patchouli. The patchouli here has been cleaned and paired with white flowers. I get a fresh, clean floral smell with a distant patchouli tang in the background. It's interesting because patchouli itself is a multi-faceted note. It has clean aspects to it, as well as a tangy, peppery spicy aspect. People mistake patchouli as being "dirty" but here, it's the complete opposite. The yin and yang of this composition is the balance between the white flowers and the tangy, slightly spicy patchouli. It's very well made and executed.

I have to say that it has surprised me how clean and wearable this is on the whole. I find it an amazing perfume for a woman. I think on a younger woman this would be fantastic to smell. A man can wear it as long as you don't mind the clean, floral aspect to it. I find it refreshing and I can see this working wonders in spring and summer. Tom Ford never ceases to amaze. Whether it's the Private Blend line or this designer line, you get something unique always. This one is worth picking up.

Duplications of Ambrette
This is one of the few I have duplications of: found a bottle cheap because of damaged box: bought it even though I already had it. It's the ambrette musk note that was the occasion of my doing that. I just so love that note. Got a perfume years ago fræ hippy-shop in the form of essential oil, called 'sweet musk'. I have been looking for a perfume that smells like it, & just haven't been able to find one. I do think, on the basis of various reasonings, it was probably primarily ambrette musk.

However, I find it difficult to believe that ^all^ the muskiness of this is due to ambrette musk. If it is, then that's a ^seriously^ poweful one they've got there & are using in this perfume.

Musk is seriously imortant to me. It ^can^ be replaced by other funky components, but even oud is seriously stretched to ^totally^ be a substitute for it. This 'fume is a ^very^ musky one. And also it illustrates the effect whereby a 'fume can rise with time in my estimation. A lot have been doing that recently. Someone recently answered one of my reviews to the effect that it almost never happens to her. I said in reply, and say again, that I think there is probably a way of bringing it about. It's good for it to happen because you can salvage at least part of a large 'fume collection then. 'Salvage' is not really the right word for this one, as I always did find it excellent. So having risen in my estimation it really is extremely high in my estimation, whence the duplicate bottle, which is very rare for me.

It's essentially a supermusky patchouli fragrance - the rest being ancilliary, to my mind. The sheer swooni- shimmeri-ness of the musk seems just too great to be traceable to ambrette musk alone, gorgeous though that supremely lovely perfumery element be. It's heavy & rich & balsamic. That sounds familiar! Oh yes! it's what I wrote about ~African Leather~ by Memo. Yes, this 'fume is quite similar to that one.

I read, perusing the reviews, that there is truffle in this as there is in ~Black Orchid~. Particularly in reference to ~sherapop~, I don't think the purpose of putting animalics in 'fume is quite as brazen as the sending out of an actual °comether° signal: after-all we are not boar, or musk deer, or hyrax, or civet cats! (But I'm sure you know that really!). And perhaps it is the synergy of this truffle note & the ambrette musk that is imparting to it that which I perceive as that very intense muskiness that I have mentioned. A synergy of twain of the great vegetable quasianimalics: that would go a long way towards explaining why Iike this so much.

Sweet spicy - creamy - white floral
While great part of new-brand niche houses do their best to have at least one patchouli-optimizing fragrance in their collection, Tom Ford seems to deal ace of spades, with a tarty patchouli covered with thick spice makeup.

It's a super sweet patchouli core enveloped by oozy white jasmine, coriander-coated rose and fungus-like incense. White Patchouli is a floral, creamy, vibrant patchouli. While many women adore it, some hate it strongly and it partially comes from very potent play of syrupy sweetness on skin.
2/5

Flore
Great white flowers with super pathouli!
White pathouli;
At the beginning I had this fragrance on a test strip done and got a rubber-like vibe. Not so nice. A saleswoman sprayed it on my wrist and advised me to wait. Wow, I was totally in love with this scent and kept sniffing my wrist. The beautiful white flowers mixed with pathouli. Gorgeous. I immediately bought the smell. One of the most beautiful fragrances I've ever smelled. Too bad the body lotion is nowhere available??

white witch
I have an ambivalent relation with patchouli. The truth is that this ingredient smells wonderfully, but, to me, it tends to get overwhelming after a while in some formulas where i find it too cloying/dirty, or screeching or just predictable and uninteresting.

This is not the case of Tom Ford´s White Patchouli, a house whose export line redeems the, sometimes dissapointing, always aspirational, Private Blend line. White Patchouli, from the export line, has an outstanding lasting power and is a different approach to this classic material.

The patchouli in White Patchouli is kept rather sleek, proper and clean, but it has a ruling position as the name implies. There is a medicinal quality in the opening of this fragance that makes it very interesting, like it belongs to an old fashioned pharmacist or herbalist´s shop. It is also very floral, in this odd, aseptic way, and, I agree, kind of mushroomy. Peppery, bitter, dry zest, dry undergrowth, turpentine-like notes fuse together with luminous flowers (peony and a burning jasmine) on a bed of honeyed tobacco and a patchouli, that may be hard to recognise on this garments.

Thinking what could smell alike this strange but well thought start, i can say it reminds me to the rare beauty of Aromatics Elixir, being all over White Patchouli cleaner, lighter and less complex with a very different performance as we will see.

After a couple hours White Patchouli looses the strange ointment edge from coriander, and a non-indolic jasmine with "golden" rose step forward, becoming a quite beautiful, rather unisex floral as it is balanced with the rich patchouli/sandalwood base and a sweet note that reminds me to hop (the herb it is used to aromatize beer). It has a remarkable tenacity but on the other hand, stays quite close to the skin.

White Patchouli is elegant including the twist of the start; sensual and bewitching, as patchouli is, but behaving with certain demure.

Patchouli Flower Salad
Dominated by jasmine, bergamot and patchouli, with a dash of coriander, it feels refreshing to me, like a cool summer salad with an avant-garde twist.

I usually avoid white florals that lack vanilla and spice to, well, drown out the white flowers (think Organza), so when I received a mini of White Patchouli as a gift I did not expect to let it stay on my skin all day. But I got busy and didn't get around to washing it off, and was pleasantly surprised when I began to enjoy it.

It's a soft, sheer, luxurious veil of a perfume with an earthy undertone that prevents it from being just another girly white floral.

Du Schwein!
I've seen a lot of complaints from reviewers to the effect that Tom Ford WHITE PATCHOULI is conspicuously devoid of patchouli. I have no difficulty detecting patchouli here, but it is definitely mixed up with a lot of other "stuff", some of which I believe to be of the mushroom variety known as truffles.

I recently learned from watching the PBS Nova miniseries "The Mystery of the Senses: Smell" that truffles are pursued by female pigs (who serve as "truffle hounds" to French farmers) because their scent is identical to that of boar musk. Yes, that's right: frisky little pigs burrow deep into the ground in search of some "action" only to find mushrooms! According to the film, some human beings also find that truffles have an aphrodisiac effect. So this is evidently why Tom Ford put truffles in BLACK ORCHID, and I must say that with a couple of spritzes of WHITE PATCHOULI I find myself in a decidedly mushroomy cloud of scent!

The real mystery to me is why so many people cannot smell the patchouli, which far from being MIA seems incredibly strong to me. So strong, in fact, that I would never, ever wear this perfume in public. It's just too suggestive. I have no interest in sending out "come hither" signals to arbitrary strangers. Who does? I ask most sincerely.

As a private boudoir perfume, WHITE PATCHOULI is nice to wear now and then, but it packs a powerful punch of both truffles (or olfactory facsimile) and patchouli, to my nose!

White Patchouli
If you combine Patchouli Incense and Fair
Woods your'll get White Patchouli fresh
patchouli from the highest mountains untouched by
time pure and uncut with white flowers circling
around the snow
covered temple dries nicely with bergamot
the middle is a bit floral with peony
not cloying sweet just enough to soften
the dry patchouli opening delicate note
of rose with an velvety touch makes it's
presence known with jasmine a floral
that gives out an greenish earthy scent
and spiced with coriander adds to the warmth
and it dries to an warm note of amber

White Patchouli conjoures beauty
of mountain tops with pure white snow leopards
majestic and elusive blending
in the virgin snow while Lamas with bright
red cloaks circling a round an
a rare white mahogany deity with incense
dancing out to the mountainous abode.

Jazzy76Jazzy76 2 years ago
Very refined, soft and cocooning like a White cashmere scarf. A pleasure to wear as a second skin , so warm and discrete. Quite good sillage

by Kate130
by Fran
by Serge
by Serge

Popular Tom Ford

Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather 16 by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Lost Cherry by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Beau de Jour (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud Intense by Tom Ford Amber Absolute by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua by Tom Ford Vert d'Encens by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford White Suede (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Minérale by Tom Ford