White Suede 2009

White Suede by Tom Ford
White Suede is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for women and was released in 2009. The scent is leathery-powdery. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Amber, Lily-of-the-valley, Rose, Saffron, Sandalwood, Tea, Thyme, Frankincense, Suede, Musk

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 11.09.2020.

Pollita
The bride and her wardrobe
Mrs. Pollita is skulking again. Skulking around Tom Ford's White South. I like that one, no question. I've tested it and worn it a couple of times now, but I'm still undecided. Do I need it? The suede note is subtle and always swings in the background behind a wonderfully soft, restrained white veil of scent. I think of a bridal veil when I sniff White Suede. If I weren't already married, this would be a candidate I could very well imagine for the wedding.

Nevertheless, this fragrance irritates me, because it contains so many notes that I don't really like at all. Leather is not my favourite. For me, leather has to be woven into the overall composition in the best possible way so that I can go with it. Then we have lily of the valley, which I actually don't like at all. Saffron. Another candidate I feel more like running away than spraying. But whatever. White suede, it kind of fits, and there's actually no interference.

Through the rose and the incense it reminds me a little bit of L'Ether from IUNX, which I like very much. But - in contrast to L'Ether - it also has a very fine sweetness, which makes me think of my fine Velvet Orchid by Birkholz. White Suede hovers somewhere in between. There's the tough business lady and next to her is the lovely, nature-loving private Pollita, who's just thinking of a flock of happy chickens.

Last but not least there is also a sound that is foreign to me and that is why I can't make sense of this scent. Here, I'm guessing a suede and flower combination, because I always see my mother's closet in front of me with her numerous, extravagant clothes, her huge shoe collection and the boundless selection of bags. And that's exactly what doesn't pick me up, because I can't do much with fashion, shoes or bags.

Still this Tom Ford won't let me go. Shoe and bag lovers will be hopelessly addicted to him. I'm sure of it. And I'm just as sure that he'll look great on brides. If there's one thing that smells white, it's this. Mr. Ford made it really strong and beautiful.

I will probably still be thinking about him, because he has something that carries me along every time I wear him
Many thanks to AdAstra72 for the sample.

White musc
This is for me a musk perfume more... It is nice and overall the quality of the smell of the suede un here , as most leather notes used by Tom Ford, is very high, but i am not sure if It really worths to pay this amount of money for a perfume which doesnt give anything new. There are lot of fragances in the market with similar smell and even better performance, because the oerfumance here is very very moderate. For example musc secret by Béjar which gives a very similar vibe for only 9.95€. but for Tom Ford lovers and musk lovers White suede can be a good option for a daytime use during winter.

Scent: 8
Longevity: 6
Sillage: 5
Quality/price: 4
Versatility: 8
Originality: 5
Global: 7
Childhood memory ...
I have already read here several times the association of this fragrance with the smell in a shoe shop.
And... yes, it is. But not a shoe shop of this sort, cheap and lots of plastic, huge shelves, stuffed full.
It's the shoe store of my childhood.
White suede met me in Berlin. In the department store that everyone knows.
Huge perfumery department with the finest fragrances of all origins.
My husband wanted to test oud Wood and so I stood next to him and
waited patiently for his then nevertheless 3
"I can't-me-don't-decide-candidate." Who understands this better than
all of us here. I could hardly help because I liked everyone equally.
Tom Ford fragrances have always been too heavy, too extremely stored for me, at least for a woman.
Well, my husband waved his arms around, I was already dazed by all the "oud".
And it smells wonderful on him.
Then came the awakening from the almost anaesthesia: I suddenly smelled something clear, pure. And it made me feel so good.
A lady next to me had sprayed White Suede.
What's that?, I asked.
The salesgirl was overzealous and already I had it on my wrist. Oh, that was wonderful. What the hell was that? What did it remind me of? Suede said the lady next to me.
And then there she was. The memory of that smell in the shoe store of my childhood. My mother always bought very high quality shoes, even for us children. I saw the shop in front of me: a slide that led down from the upper floor, on which I felt I had slipped 1000 times. And I tasted the cherry lollipop that I got at the checkout after buying new shoes. I saw the radiant eyes of my mother in front of me again when new shoes fitted and were found.
And smelled the smell in this store, finest clean leather, no plastic.
On my wrist the smell of leather became softer and softer, creamed in. Well-groomed.
Dry, not sweet, not flowery. The note of tea and musk remains present in me, breathed in with a little incense. The leather keeps subtly in the background. Stay clean and pure. Wonderful.
I let myself be sprayed completely and we left the stand for the visit to the upper delicatessen department.
Since we would have made other purchases, we decided to stand firm and put Tom Ford oud Wood intense and white suede on the birthday wish list.
What do you think? Did it work?
In the evening we visited a vaudeville and sniffed around at us without a break. Tom Ford accompanied us with a relentless consistency.
Maybe it was the so beautiful trip to Berlin, maybe it was due to chance that the following day was Sunday open for business...
White suede and oud Wood intense have definitely found their way into our suitcases and survived the return flight well.
And have been our daily companions ever since, harmonizing wonderfully together and we believe that this could become a connection for life.
Thanks Mom for your patience when buying shoes and also for everything else.
Even if you're not anymore, memories live on. One of them in White Suede.

Sueded Lily
White Suede, along with the other fragrances in the White Musk Collection, is something that I'd overlooked for quite some time. Thanks to the incredible generosity of a dear friend I had the opportunity to give this little gem a go. The opening is redolent of a dewy and bright lily-of-the-valley. It borders on sharp but soon softens and becomes subdued and incredibly gentle. The suede note is buttery and incredibly smooth, dusted with saffron and bathed in a blushed hue of a tender rose. It smells of the inside of a luxurious handbag where one has kept precious treasures like a compact of French cosmetic powder and a vial of sweet sandalwood perfume. The drydown is a soft, delicate and powdery amber musk. It's crystalline and registers as a gossamer haze just above the skin. What makes me so fond of this composition is not particularly its originality but how it reminds me of something from my past, something I can't quite put my finger on. That state of beguilement keeps me coming back for more.

White? Suede?
White suede starts out with a nose-hair singeing chemical suede scent that seems like a shoddy copy of Heeley's cool-to-the-touch Cuir Pleine Fleur. It’s not half-hearted, or ‘not-quite’, it smells defective. The jarring topnotes give me a bit of fight or flight reaction, and I have to make certain not to shit myself.

In perfumery the notion of suede is usually conjured with references to tea, dried leaves, birch, violet and the like. And, while true that ‘leather’ notes might more precisely be called ‘tannery’ notes, the chemistry involved in White Suede is undisguised. White Suede grows quieter, but never less shrill and gives the nerve-wracking sensation of a siren passing you, fading in the distance, but always sounding too sharp in pitch.

By chemical I mean unnatural. "Natural" is the verbal equivalent of zero in mathematics. Strictly defined, imaginary, entirely conceptual. In common usage "natural" is falsely fundamental. We use it with a wink and a nod and make a point of never defining it and hoping nobody else will either. It carries enormous significance, principally judgement--good and worthy--but has no meaning in fact. I find it hard to use the word in a sentence.

But 'unnatural' is another bird entirely. It’s campy but not blatantly humorous. It comes to have much more meaning than 'natural' because it's like saying, 'all that crap over there--the things you stuff inelegantly into that word "natural"? It's not that.' 'Natural' is a consensual fiction that we don't dare pry into. 'Unnatural' in perfumery means that you can’t hide the chemical origin with a botanical ‘note’. ("Watch out, girl. That chemical flower note will torch your ass!") Again, judgement is implied, but camp saves day because, though you use the word, the implicit irony means you don't believe the literal meaning of it.

So, White Suede is as unnatural and chemical as they come. It's a reminder that an imbalanced perfume made with mostly aromachemicals has a higher risk of flying out of control than one made of mostly botanicals. White Suede isn't the person humming a vague ditty out of tune. It's the forgotten, full, screaming tea kettle that you hope will soon run dry and burn the house down.

From scenthurdle.com

EmorandeiraEmorandeira 8 months ago
Musk is what i smell the most un this perfume. And in the background a very quality suede note. Sadly the performance is not the BEST...
Jazzy76Jazzy76 10 months ago
A perfectly balanced classy scent with a discrete sillage.Good mainly in the mid-cold season expecially by day . Maybe too high price

by CosmicLove
by IoanaP
by IoanaP
by MonsieurZolo
by MonsieurZolo
Winke winke, Einer, der gehen durfte
by EauMySoul
by loewenherz
by IamCraving
by IamCraving

Popular Tom Ford

Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather 16 by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Lost Cherry by Tom Ford Beau de Jour (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi Acqua by Tom Ford Vert d'Encens by Tom Ford Amber Absolute by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud Intense by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Minérale by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Toilette) by Tom Ford