White Suede (2009)

White Suede by Tom Ford

White Suede is a popular perfume by Tom Ford for women and was released in 2009. The scent is leathery-powdery. It is still in production.

Amber, Lily-of-the-valley, Rose, Saffron, Sandalwood, Tea, Thyme, Frankincense, Suede, Musk

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 17.11.2019.

7.0 6.0 10.0 10.0/10

Childhood memory ...
I have already read here several times the association of this fragrance with the smell in a shoe shop.
And... yes, it is. But not a shoe shop of this sort, cheap and lots of plastic, huge shelves, stuffed full.
It's the shoe store of my childhood.
White suede met me in Berlin. In the department store that everyone knows.
Huge perfumery department with the finest fragrances of all origins.
My husband wanted to test oud Wood and so I stood next to him and
waited patiently for his then nevertheless 3
"I can't-me-don't-decide-candidate." Who understands this better than
all of us here. I could hardly help because I liked everyone equally.
Tom Ford fragrances have always been too heavy, too extremely stored for me, at least for a woman.
Well, my husband waved his arms around, I was already dazed by all the "oud".
And it smells wonderful on him.
Then came the awakening from the almost anaesthesia: I suddenly smelled something clear, pure. And it made me feel so good.
A lady next to me had sprayed White Suede.
What's that?, I asked.
The salesgirl was overzealous and already I had it on my wrist. Oh, that was wonderful. What the hell was that? What did it remind me of? Suede said the lady next to me.
And then there she was. The memory of that smell in the shoe store of my childhood. My mother always bought very high quality shoes, even for us children. I saw the shop in front of me: a slide that led down from the upper floor, on which I felt I had slipped 1000 times. And I tasted the cherry lollipop that I got at the checkout after buying new shoes. I saw the radiant eyes of my mother in front of me again when new shoes fitted and were found.
And smelled the smell in this store, finest clean leather, no plastic.
On my wrist the smell of leather became softer and softer, creamed in. Well-groomed.
Dry, not sweet, not flowery. The note of tea and musk remains present in me, breathed in with a little incense. The leather keeps subtly in the background. Stay clean and pure. Wonderful.
I let myself be sprayed completely and we left the stand for the visit to the upper delicatessen department.
Since we would have made other purchases, we decided to stand firm and put Tom Ford oud Wood intense and white suede on the birthday wish list.
What do you think? Did it work?
In the evening we visited a vaudeville and sniffed around at us without a break. Tom Ford accompanied us with a relentless consistency.
Maybe it was the so beautiful trip to Berlin, maybe it was due to chance that the following day was Sunday open for business...
White suede and oud Wood intense have definitely found their way into our suitcases and survived the return flight well.
And have been our daily companions ever since, harmonizing wonderfully together and we believe that this could become a connection for life.
Thanks Mom for your patience when buying shoes and also for everything else.
Even if you're not anymore, memories live on. One of them in White Suede.

Sueded Lily
White Suede, along with the other fragrances in the White Musk Collection, is something that I'd overlooked for quite some time. Thanks to the incredible generosity of a dear friend I had the opportunity to give this little gem a go. The opening is redolent of a dewy and bright lily-of-the-valley. It borders on sharp but soon softens and becomes subdued and incredibly gentle. The suede note is buttery and incredibly smooth, dusted with saffron and bathed in a blushed hue of a tender rose. It smells of the inside of a luxurious handbag where one has kept precious treasures like a compact of French cosmetic powder and a vial of sweet sandalwood perfume. The drydown is a soft, delicate and powdery amber musk. It's crystalline and registers as a gossamer haze just above the skin. What makes me so fond of this composition is not particularly its originality but how it reminds me of something from my past, something I can't quite put my finger on. That state of beguilement keeps me coming back for more.

White? Suede?
White suede starts out with a nose-hair singeing chemical suede scent that seems like a shoddy copy of Heeley's cool-to-the-touch Cuir Pleine Fleur. It’s not half-hearted, or ‘not-quite’, it smells defective. The jarring topnotes give me a bit of fight or flight reaction, and I have to make certain not to shit myself.

In perfumery the notion of suede is usually conjured with references to tea, dried leaves, birch, violet and the like. And, while true that ‘leather’ notes might more precisely be called ‘tannery’ notes, the chemistry involved in White Suede is undisguised. White Suede grows quieter, but never less shrill and gives the nerve-wracking sensation of a siren passing you, fading in the distance, but always sounding too sharp in pitch.

By chemical I mean unnatural. "Natural" is the verbal equivalent of zero in mathematics. Strictly defined, imaginary, entirely conceptual. In common usage "natural" is falsely fundamental. We use it with a wink and a nod and make a point of never defining it and hoping nobody else will either. It carries enormous significance, principally judgement--good and worthy--but has no meaning in fact. I find it hard to use the word in a sentence.

But 'unnatural' is another bird entirely. It’s campy but not blatantly humorous. It comes to have much more meaning than 'natural' because it's like saying, 'all that crap over there--the things you stuff inelegantly into that word "natural"? It's not that.' 'Natural' is a consensual fiction that we don't dare pry into. 'Unnatural' in perfumery means that you can’t hide the chemical origin with a botanical ‘note’. ("Watch out, girl. That chemical flower note will torch your ass!") Again, judgement is implied, but camp saves day because, though you use the word, the implicit irony means you don't believe the literal meaning of it.

So, White Suede is as unnatural and chemical as they come. It's a reminder that an imbalanced perfume made with mostly aromachemicals has a higher risk of flying out of control than one made of mostly botanicals. White Suede isn't the person humming a vague ditty out of tune. It's the forgotten, full, screaming tea kettle that you hope will soon run dry and burn the house down.

From scenthurdle.com

Jazzy76 19 days ago
A perfectly balanced classy scent with a discrete sillage.Good mainly in the mid-cold season expecially by day . Maybe too high price
6.0

by loewenherz
by IamCraving
by IamCraving

Popular Tom Ford

Tobacco Vanille (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Oud Wood (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Black Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Tuscan Leather (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir de Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir Extreme by Tom Ford Mandarino di Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Fucking Fabulous / Fabulous (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Neroli Portofino (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Ombré Leather (2018) by Tom Ford Velvet Orchid (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford For Men (Eau de Toilette) by Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford White Patchouli by Tom Ford Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford Plum Japonais by Tom Ford Soleil Blanc (Eau de Parfum) by Tom Ford Violet Blonde by Tom Ford