Tommy Girl (1996)

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger
Bottle Design: Laura Handler
Tommy Girl (Tommy Hilfiger)

Tommy Girl is a perfume by Tommy Hilfiger for women and was released in 1996. The scent is fresh-floral. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Calice Becker

Top Notes Top NotesApple blossom, Camellia, Mandarin, Blackcurrant
Heart Notes Heart NotesHoneysuckle, Grapefruit, Lily, Mint, Rose, Violet, Citruses
Base Notes Base NotesJasmine, Magnolia, Rose, Sandalwood, Cedarwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 18.02.2019

Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 6.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 3.5/10
Just a sad copy of the earlier version
In 1996 I knew few scents. What I bought again and again was CK1, then I got to know Pleasures, but something about the scent always bothered me, so much that I had never bought it.

With Tommy Girl I immediately found everything just right, nothing disturbed me, he was fresh, smelled of white bouquet but at the same time also of tea and he was very transparent from the smell feeling. Yes, he had a slight "Fit" dishwasher note, but that never bothered me.
This is a fragrance that never bothered me, it was just perfect.

A year ago I was lucky enough to get one of the bottles with the silvery-milky lettering. It still smells great, despite 10 years of storage. Which is strange, it only became beautiful and like it used to be after I sprayed it three times... what came out first didn't smell really fresh.

I can't do anything with the current version with the red writing, because I know how he should be right, the Tommy Girl! I know I wouldn't be so hard on my judgment if I only knew the new guy, determined!
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 6.0/10 Scent 8.5/10
Sprinkle flowers with tea, then pick flowers and enjoy tea :D
Today I'm going to Tommy Girl's. Yes, it's a simple mainstream scent that most pampered scent enthusiasts here may ignore. But that's not meant negatively now. I know from my own experience, among other things, that sometimes when you think about certain fragrances, especially those like this one, you think that it would not be worth a simple 0815 standard mush and thus a test.

Sometimes I try to steer against it and try out such scents from time to time, even if I then "see" that most of these scents are still nice, but actually not soo special (which of course does not mean that you would not discover one or the other surprise among them). Or my nose is spoiled by now like yours... aaaargh, so you infected me!!!! Shame on you! D

From Tommy Girl here I got a sample of a perfume that I sometimes meet and then we go snooping together in town. And it's always the case that we prefer to go into niche perfumery rather than stay longer in certain greenish-turquoise shops. And every time I see her, she always wears long trousers despite the summer heat and never a skirt or shorts and so on... uhh... argh no, I didn't really want to write that here at all, now she just slipped out, and as far as I know she reads almost all my comments!!!! Oh dear oh dear... :D
Maybe I'll be lucky this time and she overlooks this one!

Be that as it may, Tommy Girl gave me the lovely Parfuma probably because she knows that I like tea scents extremely, because the scent here is supposed to be a tea scent, so I'm really excited,... even if I can't read anything about tea in the scent pyramid, hmm...

The fragrance:
Oh yeah!!! I actually smell tea in the beginning! Absolutely tasty and fragrant. Together with the citric scents like mandarin and especially grapefruit the beginning is totally great and very refreshing and therefore perfect for warm days like this one we have at the moment. A light apple note is also present, although the floral notes are somewhat stronger. The flowery notes smell for me like general white flowers and are therefore quite springlike.
Later I can smell a little mint from the fresher scents, which keeps the scent fresher (but the mint itself doesn't last long). By the way, the flowers are not stuffy, I mention this only because I noticed that I often write something like this with some flowery scents (but some just smell stuffy :D). A slight sweetness rises, which could come from the violets and roses, whereby one can smell the roses best, even if both scents are not very strong.
The tea is good to smell later and smells wonderful, even if the scent should spray a little bit of synthetic notes in the background, which I don't find so bad here now. The fruits here can no longer really be distinguished from each other later and also mix together to a generally beautiful, fruity note, whereby one has the impression that these fruits now smell somewhat more exotic, like passion fruits and so on.
In the base, the fragrance gains even more sweetness, which is probably due to the jasmine. Otherwise you can still smell the described, meanwhile somewhat weaker tea notes with flowery scents in the background. The funny thing is that on hot and humid days I can easily smell the apple in the base again!

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The Sillage is mediocre, but soon weakens a little more. This is always a pity with such great smelling scents, because they can only be perceived from close up at one, and not for a longer time.
The shelf life was about five hours, which is okay for a fresh fragrance.

The bottle:
The bottle is somehow quite simple and looks a little bit like a milk bottle from the front. On the front side you can see (without label) the name of the fragrance, which is written in red, but there also seem to be (or were) bottles with white writing. The lid is chrome-plated and has a ribbed disc on the upper side. Well, I find the bottle quite banal, but at least not necessarily very ugly :D

Ooh, yeah! The scent is great! Pretty great! Absolutely fantastic!
Yes, yes... Tea scents, or at least most of them, always inspire me so much because they smell so great for me. And with this one, it's also the case that the tea scent doesn't just flash up in the top note and then disappears again, but lasts quite a long time to the base and even a little longer afterwards, so that you can practically enjoy these great scents, even if the charisma is unfortunately a little weak.

The fragrance is perfect for the summer with its casual character, especially as it has beautiful floral notes and citrus fruits in addition to the tea notes. There is so much that you should definitely have a look at this fragrance.

I really have to thank the perfume that gave me the sample for this fragrance. Therefore optimal, that I see her again tomorrow, ... I would not have mentioned the thing with the skirt at the beginning... hopefully she does not strike, ... because once from a woman (which by the way is also here a perfume) to get times on the face (even if that was only by mistake ... :D) is enough completely!!! DD
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
American Tea
Tommy is usually dismissed as cheap, synthetical, boring... I remmeber a time in which it was ubiquitous. Along with Estée Lauder's Pleasures and Happy Clinique. This was the smell of the nice posh girls in the 90's.

I wore then, and I wear it now. A previous review stated this is some sort of evolution of the classic Eau de Cologne, and I can not agree more. It is said that Tommy was inspired by the Mariage Frères Boutique in Paris, a distinguished shop specialised in fine teas, and that her nose, Calice Brecker, wanted to reflect in this perfume her Russian heritage, the custom of the samovar and the Russian style tea. Although since its very begginning, Tommy has been promoted as the fragance of the "WASPs", the American rich kids, and it was presented as a conconction of genuinely American botanics (quite incongruously: I am pretty sure there is not such thing like Cherokee Rose). Probably we have never seen a fragance spoiled for such inadecuate/barely atractive name or advertising.

Tommy evokes, for me, the cooling/warm feeling of a delicious cup of jasmine green tea, along with a slice of lemon, some rose petals and some mint leaves. Surprisingly, there is no tea among its official notes, yet when it was for the first time released, it was a note very in fashion. It has something calming, soothing, yet very energetic and reassuring. It is one of the very few fragances that I can wear just out of the shower and before going to sleep. In spite its fresh feeling is very long-lasting and has a good sillage. I hope they will never discontinue it or ruin it through ruthless reformulations. A hidden gem. A underestimated fragance.
Bottle 2.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 2.5/10 Scent 1.0/10
Heavy Metal Assault
I get what others speak of when they say metallic, I certainly understand what others mean when they use synthetic to describe Tommy Girl. It is, without a doubt all of that and more in so many words. It is brass, loud and screeches at you. It's not soft at all. It's such a cacophony of pots and pans hitting at my brain it's assaulting. Why in heavens name would I want to wear this? The only reason I could think of would be to revisit a memory from the long-gone past, the very-long gone. A heavy-metal one, I might add. This is a fragrance that brings to mind grunge to me for some reason, Doc Martens, safety pins and all that that era entailed. It's a cold, alloy feeling fragrance. It's certainly not one to make you feel cozy. But if you'd like to kick ass, hey, give it a spritz.
jtd
tomboy
Tommy girl is derided for being cheap and ubiquitous, but to my mind, easily available, relatively inexpensive and brilliant are a perfume trifecta.

I know it’s a bit of a stretch, but I see TG as an evolution of the eau de cologne concept. EDC has long been prepared with various elements of citrus (fruit, rind, leaves, flowers, branches), culinary herbs that combine well with citrus (rosemary, lavender, basil), perhaps some other flowers (chamomile, rose, jasmine) and eventually musk. EDC works because when you wear it, the refreshing, bracing feels doesn’t require a day’s commitment and because you could easily want to drink it. The same could be said of TG.

The citrus/wood/floral portions of an EDC are of a piece, literally, as they all come from citrus plants. That same feel of tart woodiness is found in TG, but in this case, it’s more along the lines of the proudly synthetic metallic flower of Lauder’s Dazzling Silver. The shiny tart floral is encompassing enough to fill the place of the whole citrus gestalt of an EDC. The analogue to cologne’s herbs is an infusion somewhere between black tea and a verbena tisane. Others have called the floral in TG bright or glowing. To my nose, the metallic tang along with the tea’s smokiness makes the flower a bit grim, a bit dark. Its only light is like something radioluminescent under a black light.

Despite Hilfiger marketing’s straight-faced insistence on notes of nominal botanical Americana (American wildflowers or some such garbage---I had thought Tania Sanchez was joking) TG is an abstractly beautiful synthetic perfume. Chemical doesn’t mean fake. This is only an ersatz floral if you call it a floral. To me this is a marvelous, successful piece of synthetic perfumery.
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 3.0/10
Rough Draft of J'Adore Chemical Soup
Upon initial application, TOMMY GIRL seemed to me a rough draft of J'ADORE. I was pleasantly surprised, in fact, having expected some sort of chemical nightmare. My relief, however, was shortlived, as over the course of the next fifteen minutes or so most of the J'ADORE florality disappeared into the cosmos to be replaced by a somewhat generic-smelling, clear synthetic, sort-of-citrus, sort-of-aqua, sort-of-emetic, chemical solvent-smelling substance which induced in me a severe headache.

This *might* smell okay on paper, but I'm not a piece of paper, so it's definitely not for me. Désolée.
Bottle 2.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 4.0/10
The first but not the last
This was my very first perfume which I think I received as a birthday gift when I was 12. I still have the original bottle but the juice is almost all gone. Now that I'm older I must say that it's not really my type of fragrance. It's a little too citrusy and rosy for my liking. The scent however is extremely long-lasting.

When I was in my teens I wore this all the time, partly because my high school boyfriend was called Tommy and I thought wearing something called Tommy Girl was kind of cute. But now this perfume only has bad memories so I haven't worn this for a very long time.

Jazzy76 10 months ago
A fresh, Young and light citrusy-flowery scent, wearable every day with a sporty or casual outfit. Pleasant in the hot season.+1
Bottle 6.0

by Sternanis
by SecretScent
by SecretScent

Popular Tommy Hilfiger

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger Tommy (Cologne) by Tommy Hilfiger Hilfiger Woman Peach Blossom by Tommy Hilfiger Hilfiger Woman by Tommy Hilfiger Freedom (2012) by Tommy Hilfiger Loud for Her by Tommy Hilfiger Hilfiger Woman Flower Violet by Tommy Hilfiger Hilfiger Man Sport by Tommy Hilfiger Loud for Him by Tommy Hilfiger Hilfiger by Tommy Hilfiger Hilfiger Woman Pear Blossom by Tommy Hilfiger Dreaming by Tommy Hilfiger Eau de Prep Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger Eau de Prep Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger True Star by Tommy Hilfiger T (Eau de Toilette) by Tommy Hilfiger Tommy Girl Brights by Tommy Hilfiger TH Bold by Tommy Hilfiger Hilfiger Woman Flower Marigold by Tommy Hilfiger The Girl by Tommy Hilfiger