Collection Extraordinaire - Cologne Noire (2009)

Collection Extraordinaire - Cologne Noire by Van Cleef & Arpels
Bottle Design Carré Basset

Collection Extraordinaire - Cologne Noire is a perfume by Van Cleef & Arpels for women and men and was released in 2009. The scent is woody-spicy. It was last marketed by Inter Parfums.

Mark Buxton

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Bitter orange, Mandarin, Neroli
Heart Notes Heart NotesGinger, Black pepper
Base Notes Base NotesWoods, Cardamom

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 14.05.2020.

MasterLi
Spicy, Fresh & Peppery...
I like this one. I have smelt this kind of smell before though. The use of ginger and black pepper together is not new, and has been done before. I think it is a nice mix, although in my experience the house of Comme des Garçons does black pepper the best. I can't say the longevity is the greatest, although it lasts a few hours initially, but dries down fast. It seems like a fragrance that is light in some aspects, so I think it's limited in where it can be worn and when. I think this would be great in Spring in particular and during the change of the seasons. I get the cardamom and bergamot and orange, these all add a freshness when combined with the pepper and ginger. For me, I don't find this too different from what exists out there and I think that because of that I would only recommend it if you love it after trying it first. Still this house (and the Collection Extraordinaire line) are very good but it's just worth trying out on skin first.

Woody Incense--but is it niche?
I have sniffed my way through my vial of Van Cleef & Arpels COLOGNE NOIRE, and I must say that my opinion of this fragrance has not deviated in the least from my initial whiff: this smells to me like a mainstream designer woody incense cologne. I am confused as to why this would be marketed in niche-esque or niche-oid packaging except for the obvious purpose of commanding a niche price.

I usually avoid commenting on such mundanities, but I am struck in this case by the similarity of COLOGNE NOIRE to several recent middling men's offerings. It's not overly masculine and could certainly be worn by women, if they wanted a simple woody incense scent. But that is the question. There is no complexity or development or depth to this fragrance: it's just incense and woodiness and the usual solvent suspects.

I would compare the quality of this composition to something in the D&G Anthology series. Needless to say, I will not be acquiring a bottle.

Cool Spices
Cologne Noire opens with bergamot, ginger, cardamom, and pepper.

The pepper lingers into the heart, where it blends with neroli, and then orange.

The drydown is less peppery and more woody, with a waft of incense.

While there are similarities to Penhaligon's Malabah and Penhaligon's Elixir in the spices here (no cinnamon here, though), the distinguishing thing about Cologne Noire is its quality of coolness rather than warmth -- a very interesting thing to find in a spicy aromatic.

Try this for an experience of refreshingly "cool" spices. It is of very high quality, and long-lasting for a traditional cologne.

by Lilienfeld
by Lilienfeld

Popular Van Cleef & Arpels

Collection Extraordinaire - Bois d'Iris by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Orchidée Vanille by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Moonlight Patchouli by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Bois Doré by Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris (Eau de Parfum) by Van Cleef & Arpels Gem (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Rose Velours by Van Cleef & Arpels Tsar (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - California Rêverie by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Ambre Impérial by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Néroli Amara by Van Cleef & Arpels First (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Birmane (Eau de Parfum) by Van Cleef & Arpels First (Eau de Parfum) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Lys Carmin by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Precious Oud by Van Cleef & Arpels First Edition Blanche by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Santal Blanc by Van Cleef & Arpels