Collection Extraordinaire - Gardénia Pétale (2009)

Collection Extraordinaire - Gardénia Pétale by Van Cleef & Arpels
Bottle Design: Carré Basset

Collection Extraordinaire - Gardénia Pétale is a perfume by Van Cleef & Arpels for women and was released in 2009. The scent is floral-powdery. It is being marketed by Inter Parfums.

Top Notes Top NotesGreen notes, Citric notes
Heart Notes Heart NotesGardenia
Base Notes Base NotesJasmine, Lily-of-the-valley

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 29.04.2019

7.0 4.0 4.0 5.5/10

Gorgeous but Fleeting
I do not have too much to say about this fragrance other than that it is stunningly beautiful in the top notes. It is still nice in the dry down, but the main beauty lay in the too quickly faded top notes. It smells so fresh, realistic, and delicious, and it is actually quite sheer for this type of white floral, but the performance is poor.

Longevity, projection, and sillage leave much to be desired, unfortunately. If the beauty of those top notes hung around for a good while longer, I would award this fragrance five stars. Because of the poor performance, I am giving it a 5 overall. It performs much more like a cologne than an EdP, and I do not feel it merits VC&A's price point. This fragrance is utterly gorgeous but fleeting.

Fragrance: 10/10 for the top notes. 5/10 for the rest of the notes.
Longevity: 5/10
Sillage: 5/10
Projection: 5/10
7.0/10

A light and watery, gentle gardenia
I saved GARDENIA PETALE for last in my journey through the Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire, in part because gardenia perfumes vary so much, from sharp, shrill and aggressive to smooth, buttery, and creamy. It's not that I thought that this particular rendition would fall into the former category, but I guess that I'm never really sure what to expect from gardenia perfumes. I found, for example, Chanel's to be a bit hard to take.

Another reason why gardenia is never something I rush to try is simply that it has been done so many times, and already by so many so well: MARC JACOBS and KAI being two of my favorites. So how is this recent contender in the congested category of gardenia soliflores?

GARDENIA PETALE does manage to offer a new take on the gardenia, it seems to me. I find this composition to be neither sharp, shrill, and aggressive, nor smooth, buttery, and creamy! Instead, GARDENIA PETALE seems very light and aqueous to me, like gardenia petals floating gently in a sparkling pool of water out in the wilderness somewhere. It's a very nice presentation of gardenia, and I also detect quite a bit of greenish lily of the valley here, as though some tiny bells and leaves were sprinkled among the floating gardenia petals.

Well done, Van Cleef & Arpels!
7.5 5.0 7.5 10.0/10

Gardenia Extraordinaire
Fantastically beautiful gardenia on my skin. Creamy, sensuous, delicate, and clean. Warmly intimate, casual, cozy, informal. Like relaxing in a luxurious, private, tropical garden on a warm afternoon. The butterflies and bees hovering around a mass of freshly-blooming white flowers wafting their rich scent lazily through the breeze. Quite enchanting this one. On me, this is richer and yet cooler than Elizabeth Taylor’s Gardenia, cleaner than Annick Goutal’s Gardenia Passion, smoother and more rounded than Marc Jacobs Gardenia, less heady than Kai. Just gorgeous. Clean, but not soapy all the way through drydown. Exquisitely refined. For all of the gardenia lovers out there…..enjoy!

Wait for it.
Gardenia Petale opens with citrusy neroli. Maybe orange blossom, too?

The heart contains lily-of-the-valley (muguet) and thick, very good quality jasmine. Perhaps a touch of tuberose, but I am not quite sure about that, since I was overwhelmed with the jasmine, and fretting a bit about the absence of gardenia.

But wait.

When the gardenia blossoms, it is a true gardenia note. Powerful, and long-lasting. This gardenia doesn't have that waxiness so often found in gardenia fragrances. (A true gardenia note is hard to accomplish!) And one small drop lasts all day long.

Gardenia lovers will go crazy for this.

Jazzy76 15 months ago
The gardenia notes are very noticeable and the fragrance is pleasant, but not longlasting. For its high price I was expecting more+2
6.0