Collection Extraordinaire - Lys Carmin (2009)

Collection Extraordinaire - Lys Carmin by Van Cleef & Arpels
Bottle Design: Carré Basset

Collection Extraordinaire - Lys Carmin is a popular perfume by Van Cleef & Arpels for women and was released in 2009. The scent is floral-powdery. It was last marketed by Inter Parfums.

Top Notes Top NotesLily, Pink pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesYlang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood, Vanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 29.04.2019

8.0 5.0 6.0 9.0/10

Ethereal Lily
I am not strictly speaking a great lover of straight up floral fragrances, but I am drawn to the white floral notes in a few outstanding fragrances, e.g. Guerlain Mahora and 24 Faubourg. Over the course of my perfume journey, I have come to know and to love some white floral notes such as orange blossom, neroli, gardenia, and tuberose, and over the course of this last year, I began an exploration of another white floral note--lily. I purchased several outstanding fragrances with a prominent lily note: Guerlain Lys Soleia; Donna Karan Gold; Cartier Baiser Volé; Cartier Baiser Volé Essence; and, Serge Lutens Un Lys. With my appetite for lily throughly whetted, I next sought out and purchased Lys Carmin.

Lys Carmin is unlike any of my other fragrances that contain a prominent lily note. Lys Soleia and Gold are both warm lily fragrances that incorporate several other floral notes whilst Baiser Volé Essence is made lightly warm and soothing by vanilla. Both Basier Volé and Un Lys on the other hand are very fresh, green lily-centric fragrances, studies of one flower only--true solifores. Lys Carmin, however, is neither especially warm nor green. Instead, as others have noted, it is a spicy lily fragrance ever so slightly sweetened by ylang-ylang and vanilla.

I find LC quite airy and light. On my skin it wears as a hazy, gauzy lily mist that seems to float around my body rather than project off of my body. It brings to mind the Spanish ironwork lace balconies of the French Quarter, long white silk gowns, wide brimmed hats dripping in white flowers, and gently scented white handkerchiefs discreetly tucked between soft bossoms that glisten ever so slightly with perspiration borne of Summer heat and humidity.

I find LC to be an undeniably feminine, lily-centric fragrance. It is fairly linear but nevertheless quite lovely. Projection and sillage are both soft. Longevity is average. It would be appropriate in virtually any venue any time of year except perhaps during the coldest months where its lovely fragrance may be eclipsed by frigid temperatures and icy winds. In short, it is a quite beautiful white floral fragrance, and I am very pleased to have added LC to my collection.

Fragrance: 9/10

Projection: 5/10

Sillage: 5/10

Longevity: 6/10
10.0 10.0 7.0/10

Spicy floriental vanilla
As I found with another member (BOIS D'IRIS) of the Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraodinaire, LYS CARMIN has quite a bit of vanilla along with the spicy lily. This is a rich wintertime elixir for sure. I do not think that the vanilla is too sweet, but its presence is undeniable. At the same time, LYS CARMIN is VERY floral, so this composition is going to overwhelm anyone who shies away from big floral fragrances. The lily and the ylang-ylang may as well be white flowers since they are coated with lots of spices and vanilla.

I like this creation, which has big sillage and excellent longevity, and I do believe that it smells "niche", not like just another designer floriental among dozens. I should say that the first time I wore it, LYS CARMIN caught me off guard, and I myself found it to be a bit much. Today, however, it seems to work perfectly in the cold. It's rich and golden and comforting and voluptuous and just as sweet as it is floral but without being overly so. I would not be able to wear this perfume in the heat, but now, in December, it seems mighty fine.

Elegant, peppery lily
I am not usually a lover of straight-up florals. But Lys Carmin is excellent.

It is all about lily, as one would expect. But this lily is honeyed and spiced. The pink pepper really makes a difference here.

The ylang note reminds me very much of the ylang in Lancôme Poême, but Lys Carmin is lighter and airier, not thick like Poême. It is long-lasting, too.

by MissGuerlain