Collection Extraordinaire - Orchidée Vanille (2009)

Collection Extraordinaire - Orchidée Vanille by Van Cleef & Arpels
Bottle Design Carré Basset

Top 78 in Unisex Perfume
Collection Extraordinaire - Orchidée Vanille is a popular perfume by Van Cleef & Arpels for women and men and was released in 2009. The scent is sweet-gourmand. It is being marketed by Inter Parfums.

Randa Hammami

Top Notes Top NotesLychee, Mandarin
Heart Notes Heart NotesBulgarian rose, Bitter almond, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesTonka bean, Cedar, Vanilla absolute

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 06.03.2020.

8.0 7.0 8.0 6.5/10

Parfümlein
The very last (vanilla perfume in my challenge)
My last vanilla scent! Certainly not forever, but for now! Of course I have to appreciate it again in a short comment, because I wanted to test it the whole time, but I couldn't get to it until I discovered a local perfumery, in which a) the Collection Extraordinaire actually exists and in which b) one can snoop around anonymously anyway.
I was a little disappointed from the first test; I had expected so much from the combination and then smelled something that looked a little old-fashioned to me, more for ladies, preferably those from the fifties or at least the fifties. Of course I would never have written that, I simply didn't trust my nose, which was certainly good. To me, the name seemed like an ironic wink - about as hip as orchids, the fragrance seemed to me as if it had gathered dust. But nowadays orchids have again found lovers who do not sit behind village windows covered with grey curtains with the golden edge. Today orchids are grouped together in giant silver containers to form larger shared flats and make quite something. In my defense, I would also like to say that during this unobserved stroll through the perfumery, I discovered "Moonlight Patchouly", which I consider one of the most beautiful perfumes ever. In this respect - that the Collection Extraordinaire is quite extraordinary, I had no doubt about that. "Vanilla Orchidée" and I just couldn't be together that day.
Now, thanks to a sooo dear perfuma, I came into the possession of a small specimen. With the help of the same, I was able to determine that the scent, as the pyramid suggests, really does not smell like orchids. (He hadn't smelled that way the first time, he just reminded me strongly of orchid growers). However - also this time neither of us has become a shoe. I smell almond and orange in a very faint form, but unlike in my beloved "Code Cashmere", the two of them are playing super soft, so that the vanilla can make its way unhindered - and I just don't like this tone. Of course, it is nice not to be slain by a gourmand for once when you smell a vanilla perfume. Certainly it is also nice that this delicate softness is so mildly underpinned by musk and cedar wood. But why another rose had to be squeezed into it is as much beyond my expertise as my understanding. And another violet (which I do not perceive that way). I think I just don't like fragrances where roses have a say.
In this respect I make my peace with "Vanilla Orchidée": The fragrance is soft and delicate and unobtrusive and elegant and at the same time vanilla, thus satisfying the need for a stylish appearance, individuality as well as delicious vanilla cookies and orange chocolate. But the fact that it had to be decorated with roses is personally a little too kitschy for me as a picture and too rosy for a fragrance. So our paths part, which is a good thing, because this fragrance has many lovers, and we all want our favourite fragrances to remain secret tips and not be worn by everyone. On that note, adieu, dear Vanilla Orchidée.
5.0 5.0 7.0 7.0/10

Heart off, head on
I had to test it.
Have you ever actually "smelled" orchids? Well, I kind of don't. I think these are the flowers of which, although I own them, I think they have little or no flower smell? Botanists here anyway?!!
This fragrance is gentle. A complete flatterer. Gentle, soft.

He starts with me - drum roll...- finally vanilla! *Applause sound* ^^ Very nice, tender vanilla, slightly sweetish, but which quickly combines with chocolate and orange and exactly THAT's what I smell then and that doesn't change anymore.
The other ingredients may be there, but I can hardly sniff them out.
It smells a little like the tart 70% bitter chocolate with candied orange pieces from L*idl of Ecuador. :-) Only finer. So for me. I read in the comments here that everyone perceives something different. :-)

Almond maybe. But that's it Don't get me wrong, a very delicate scent, which unfortunately becomes very close immediately (!), Sillage is not big there for me, just as little as durability. Creamy, sweet.

The top note remains consistent with me, hence the title.
Unfortunately, unfortunately, I'm not into chocolate in scents at all. But that's why I like to finish my bottling, only the large bottle won't move in with me
8.0 7.0 8.0 6.5/10

Sorry...
.... but I think it's very overrated!
I can't find anything from the listed ingredients in the fragrance. What's not bad for me now is that I like it very much when a fragrance is composed in such a way that all the fragrance notes merge into one overall But VO smells (for me) just like a simple dry relatively unsweet vanilla.
A quite simple thing!
With some goodwill it can be called "adult
Vanilla" and is perhaps still a kind of insider tip for people who absolutely want it sweet-free with vanilla.
But I can't find more specificity or something unusual in it.
Conclusion: Nice, really nice. But I don't have to have him!
7.0/10

Not that extraordinary
It's ironic that this collection is called extraordinary. It could not be more ordinary: non-descript scents that smell very similar to each other.

If you are looking for a vanilla perfume, keep moving. The vanilla in the name refers to the heart note: you get a very nice smoky vanilla for a few minutes before the flowery drydown. There is something musky lingering on the skin after some time. There is no sillage to speak of. I would see this being perfect for an older lady who does not like offensive and strong perfumes.

The best part of this perfume is the bottle.

Wonderful stuff!
Well, this is a pleasant one. I love any good vanilla perfume, and this is one of the better ones. It is such a deep, borderline boozy smell. It is vanilla and orchid and chocolate. At times I get both praline chocolate and truffle, with a hint of caramel in places. I would describe it as linear, but it's certainly interesting. It also reminds me of the same Cologne of the Missions or Spiriteuse Double Vanille vibe, although this is almost in gourmand-like territory.

I can't recommend this fragrance enough. I really like this smell, I think it's extraordinary. I would say that it depends if you have the money for this and other high-end vanilla fragrances. It is certainly a well-made, very well crafted perfume. You get your money's worth here. I can say that I wish it projected a little more, but I'm satisfied with it. Definitely one to try if you are a hardcore vanilla fan.
7.5 5.0 7.5 7.0/10

Smooth like Velvet
This is a positively gorgeous fragrance. Vanilla and orchid have never gone so well together. Orchidee Vanille is easily one of my favourite vanilla scents, and that's saying a lot.

The vanilla in this fragrance tends to be sweet and velvety, also light and fluffy at certain times. The orchid adds that hint of gourmand, which I find rather addictive. In the opening there's an interesting green freshness, which is soon smoothed out by a sugary and intense vanilla accord.

Some reviewers have noted a hint of chocolate and even caramel, which I can faintly smell too, so that's more of an incentive to classify Orchidee Vanille as a gourmand. Either way you look at it, this fragrance is pleasantly sweet but never overpowering.

Even though Orchidee Vanille is a fairly expensive release, I personally think it's worth it, but only if it agrees on your skin. Applying it with a light hand is also fairly important, as I find a little goes a long way.

Vanilla and gourmands go hand in hand in terms of what I like. The sweetness doesn't bother me, and neither does the musky drydown. I actually find this fragrance quite soothing and pretty on my skin, and wouldn't hesitate to wear it all year long. There's something about Van Cleef & Arpels' fragrances. They have this somewhat magical aura that draws me in.

If you like anything that smells sweet and gooey, and are at present seeking an upmarket perfume that fits the bill, Van Cleef & Arpels Orchidee Vanille is the perfect choice. I highly recommend.
5.0 7.5 7.5 10.0/10

Hayven
not much of a review, more like an opinion
This scent is very, very, very gourmand to me. I didn't smell mandarin or lychee in the beginning. It is all an orchid dipped in white chocolate for me. There is something about this perfume that evokes an image of a loving, sweet, young mother holding her newborn infant. I don't know why; probably because the scent is so soft, sweet, and makes me feel fuzzy inside when I wear it.
7.5 7.5 6.0/10

Vanilla-soaked Orchid
Whoever the creative director in charge of the Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire was obviously loves vanilla, as it is a major player in most of the members of this "nichesque" series of perfumes. I say "nichesque" because I am not convinced that these are any better than the above-average designer quality of the other perfumes launched by this house: ORIENS, FEERIE, and MIDNIGHT IN PARIS all come immediately to mind. They are all of higher quality than many of the mainstream designer perfumes being launched today, and so are the members of the Collection Extraordinaire. What I am not convinced of is that this series is any better than those, as they should be, given the elevated asking price.

ORCHIDEE VANILLE, unlike the other vanilla-infused perfumes in this group, explicitly informs us of its vanillic intentions through its name. So no one really has a right to complain when they discover that, lo, ORCHIDEE VANILLE packs a mighty punch of vanilla! Anyone who shuns vanilla in perfume already knows to stay very far away from a fragrance with such a name, but what about vanilla amateurs? What will they say?

I've worn this perfume now a couple of times, and I have to say that while it is nice, it's not really anything to get excited about and in some ways seems like a pretty blunt presentation of orchid and vanilla. It's not bad, mind you, but I think that there probably are better choices out there for those specifically seeking out vanilla perfumes. I suppose that ORCHIDEE VANILLE is suffering a bit in this evaluation, having the bad luck of being donned by me today after having worn Kenzo JUNGLE L'ELEPHANT, a far richer and more complex oriental perfume, last night.

I should add, however, that I'm not the biggest fan of vanilla-centric perfumes in the first place. I like and own L'Artisan Parfumeur VANILLE ABSOLUMENT, but generally speaking I prefer more complex and challenging oriental perfumes. Someone who fell for the Guerlain DOUBLE VANILLE SPIRITUEUSE might really like ORCHIDEE VANILLE, so I do not want to discourage them from trying this creation. It's not going on my wish list, but if you're a vanilla fanatic, it might be true love for you.

Fresh vanilla
This scent opens very fresh with the mandarin and lychee. Its very fruity in the beginning. Then it turns warmer with the tonka bean. Now it smells to me like the almond wedding sweets, sweet vanilla almondy. Soft wiffs of rose and violets.
I like this vanilla, soft and feminine

Jazzy76 24 months ago
Very sweet and warm,longlasting and good, in the style of Van Cleef, but at this expensive price I was expecting something more special.+3
6.0

by Gwiazdka72
by Sabi
by Sabi

Popular Van Cleef & Arpels

Collection Extraordinaire - Bois d'Iris by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Moonlight Patchouli by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Bois Doré by Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris (Eau de Parfum) by Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Rose Velours by Van Cleef & Arpels Gem (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Tsar (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Ambre Impérial by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - California Rêverie by Van Cleef & Arpels First (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Néroli Amara by Van Cleef & Arpels First (Eau de Parfum) by Van Cleef & Arpels Birmane (Eau de Parfum) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Lys Carmin by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Santal Blanc by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Precious Oud by Van Cleef & Arpels First Edition Blanche by Van Cleef & Arpels Birmane (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels