Collection Extraordinaire - Precious Oud (2011)

Collection Extraordinaire - Precious Oud by Van Cleef & Arpels
Bottle Design Carré Basset

Collection Extraordinaire - Precious Oud is a perfume by Van Cleef & Arpels for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is floral-sweet. It is being marketed by Inter Parfums.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Pink pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Tuberose, Iris
Base Notes Base NotesOud, Sandalwood, Vetiver

Submitted by Inala, last update on 08.07.2020.

AbuAx
Incredibly beautiful scent. Definitely deserves more attention in the Durt community!
I don't know why everyone here is bothered by that "oud"... Just look past the name and smell the fragrance. It is a very beautiful, sensual, fruity and floral scent that also has a good shelf life. Also the Sillage is clean. With this scent you will definitely attract attention. It is rather feminine, which can look very elegant with male wearers. With female wearers it also goes into full bloom. The bottle is very simple and the presentation is really something that can be seen as a gift. In terms of fragrance, it's the best in my collection. Feel free to have a look at my collection to see what kind of carats he had to compete with ^^
A letter for you
My dear darling,

Days have passed since you left, but it already feels like an eternity.
I hope you're all right.

I miss you so much and I can't describe what emptiness you left behind.
Now I sit here alone, it rains and it is cool, also in me, which your warmth is missing.

I wore a fragrance today that resembles yours that you always liked so much and now a little bit of you is back, but the longing has become even greater.
I applied it and a fresh peppery fruit breeze came up against me briefly, because then I had this heavy jasmine in my nose, which had already enveloped me all day long.

Tuberose accompanies them and together they remind me of your Black Orchid. Maybe a little easier, but it's enough to think of you, miss you forever and love being with you.

So many memories I have in front of my eyes of your laughter, your voice and your shine when you were all fuzzy again and we laughed together. I miss it so much.

I like to remember the moments when you wore Him, how happy you were and how I always had to admonish you not to take too much. That wouldn't be so bad with this scent here, but today I wouldn't care.

You must be laughing now, but it's true.

It's funny, his name is Precious Oud and I can't tell. Nothing medical, nothing smelly, there may hardly be a drop in it. Precious means precious and I don't know if I could ever show you how precious you are to me.
Forgive me if I missed this, but I still need you like the fish the water.

When later ambergris and patchouli make the fragrance look a bit woody, I wish we could go for a walk together one autumn day and wrap ourselves in our transition jackets as you always say.

Then the later incense would come into its own even better.
If only you were here.
Without you everything is a little grayer and your light is missing, which brightens up the day.
The scent didn't last as long as yours and it makes me sad. But even if he has gone, I always think of you and look forward to the day when we meet again, then you will carry him, whom he belongs to you.

I miss you!

Peaceful Co-existence
I would like to digress briefly into the matter of oudy 'fumes in general. My introduction to them was thuswise: someone (an apothecary in some department store) passed me a 'fume to try, telling me there was oud in it. I sampled @ it, and realised immediately that there was an aroma-component of a quite extraordinary sort in it - something truly proper-perfume-y, like musk or amber, & yet different fræ these in detail. Also, I immediately & unequivocally loved it. Since then, I have been apprised of somewhat of the mythology & the culture devolvent on this substance, & of how exceedingly rare the higher grades of it are, & that what I intraspired if @ first was probably synthetic oud. I am ^taught^, sometimes, that my experience on that occasion was merely a delusion that I ought to despise; but this point of view does not abide logically. So what I experienced was merely the very bottom end of a very wide spectrum was it? But does that logically abrogate the experience per-se? I think not! Please do not misunderstand me: I am not °counter-despising° here; I do truly deem it surpassing wondrous that there exist aromata of the same sort but immensely more sublime. It is nothing but good that these supremely exalted aroma-substances exist; but why ought I now to deem that which I experienced @ first & loved so much merely some shabby wraith of what someone who is priviledged to have access to the °sinking-grade° wild agarwood oil calls ~the real thing~? I do not! It was what it was & remains what It was!

What I'm talking about, if it's not clear, is that if, when uw try a higher grade of something, the result is that it simply occupies the placeholder occupied by the thereto-best grade uw had tried, & the whole scale of uwr perception is °compressed° to °accomodate° the new experience, is not that an error, & ought it not to be rather that the scale hold it's proportion & be extended by whatever might be needful to accomodate the new? This applies to all art-forms.

I am taught that were I to have free access to the highest grades of oud, I would in time learn to distinguish the synthetic stuff, and that eventually it might even become hardly tolerable. But why would I aspire to doing that? If oud & it's derivatives are uwr life & love, then, I suppose, that is the way it is with uw; but as for myself, I can wear 'fumes made of the inferior grades, or even the synthetics, & find them thoroughly enjoyable. I have Malle÷Ropion's ~The Night~, which I am assured is quite replete with high-grade oud; & I doubt I shall wear it ^anywhere near^ often enough to coach myself into despising the inferior grades of oud; & I am quite happy for it to remain that way. Let there be a peaceful co-existence between all the grades & kinds of oud: each hath it's place; & even the worst is thoroughly gorgeous, if one permit it to be!

When I say ~worst~ , or course I mean the worst of the proper bona-fide ones!

The relevance of all this to the particular 'fume here is obvious. This is without doubt an oudy 'fume; and though it is quite a costly one, its price is below the watershed, such as I have been apprised of, above which a 'fume is likely to contain appreciable amounts of real oud. But it ^is^ an °oudy° 'fume, in that it has that certain note that has that certain distinction: and it is a ^thoroughly^ good 'fume. In it, the oudy note synergises with tuberose & jasmine - which is an unusual choice - rose &-or saffron are more usual - and the synergy is implemented ^consummately^ beautifully. The aroma, considered as an aroma, is actually quite a delicate one; but the delicacy is overruled in this 'fume in its capacity of ~performing-in-real-environment~ 'fume, in that it is as robust as might reasonably be hopen-for - ^seriously^ robust, like a powerful engine pumping-out its °delicate° issue relentlessly.

Yes, I am well-satisfied with this!

A Different Kind of Oud
What determines the rating of a fragrance is how far distanced our expectations are from the perfumer's standpoint. Whether this fragrance delivered the essence of raw oud or synthetic oud, many would have shared a certain disappointment. Precious Oud is simply Van Cleef & Arpel's interpretation of agarwood and far from cheap. It evolves and enhances gradually on skin. Applying this perfume to paper does it no justice. Sure it may share categories with Black Orchid, but it is not Black Orchid. Tom Ford's fragrances stand on their own, requiring no comparison to be noticed. Semi-sweet, balmy and woody indeed. Although the oud is present, it is disciplined by the creamy tuberose, peppers and incense. This is a great fragrance and I am a proud owner of both Precious Oud and Black Orchid.

GorgiaGorgia 7 months ago
An rich combination of white florals,woody notes and amber accords is an overtly sexy,powerful fragrance that is complex and fascinating.

by 008Pauline
by Vawallpa
by AntonioPORT
by AntonioPORT

Popular Van Cleef & Arpels

Collection Extraordinaire - Bois d'Iris by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Orchidée Vanille by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Moonlight Patchouli by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Bois Doré by Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris (Eau de Parfum) by Van Cleef & Arpels Gem (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Rose Velours by Van Cleef & Arpels Tsar (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - California Rêverie by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Ambre Impérial by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Néroli Amara by Van Cleef & Arpels First (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Birmane (Eau de Parfum) by Van Cleef & Arpels First (Eau de Parfum) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Lys Carmin by Van Cleef & Arpels First Edition Blanche by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Santal Blanc by Van Cleef & Arpels Un Air de First by Van Cleef & Arpels