Collection Extraordinaire - Rose Velours (2013)

Collection Extraordinaire - Rose Velours by Van Cleef & Arpels
Bottle Design: Carré Basset

Collection Extraordinaire - Rose Velours is a popular limited perfume by Van Cleef & Arpels for women and was released in 2013. The scent is floral-sweet. It is being marketed by Inter Parfums. Limited Edition

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Violet leaf
Heart Notes Heart NotesHoney, Orris absolute, Rose absolute
Base Notes Base NotesBenzoin, Ambroxan, Cedarwood

Submitted by WRoth, last update on 30.04.2019

Feral Undercurrent
I have got a little queue of 'fumes set up for wearing. This will probably °come online° sometime next week. But getting it out of the °vault° I do recall somewhat of my initial impression. First I thought, and infact said outloud to the apothecary, "just a standard rose 'fume, really, innit?" but after a few seconds & another couple of intraspirations "no, wait! There's ^something^ coming through here!".

I would say this does have a quite pronounced feral current growling away beneath its deceptively innocent surface. And I'm not the only one - I have seen at least one other review in which similar thing is said. I don't believe ambroxan alone is the explaination: either there is some other funky component, or by the craft of the perfumier the ambroxan is synergising with one of the other components to impart a funk beyond its wont.

... a few minutes later ...
Actually I think I have subconsciously selected perfumes of a certain idiom for this queue. I have only just this moment realised that what I have just said about this 'fume is similar to what I recently said about the one I am wearing at this moment - which is Cartier's ~Baiser Fou~. I might even venture to say that this is actually a similar 'fume (at least on some level, if not the finest level, of detail), even though I called that one 'an outlier' contentwise.

2018-04-18-08-55 UTC --
Right, have now finally put this on! Yes, it ^is^ a bit like Cartier's ~Baiser Fou~ in a certain way; but I distinctly recall that when I got this I had utterly forgotten about ~Baiser Fou~, but also that the way it twake my curiosity & appealed to me was similar.

I said somewhere in my talkings about osmanthus that one of my earliest olfactory memories was a freshly-opened packet of black Indian tea. Another was the aroma of a rose that my father had grown in his garden. Rose is one of the few perfumery flowers growable in this region (the North-West of England, close to the Irish Sea - not surpassingly wet like Cameroun, or surpassingly cold like Canada or Siberia, but a singularly insidious combination of perpetually somewhat cold & rather damp that just seems to permeate everything to its core! and which the rose can withstand pretty well): not a Mai or Ta'if or Centifolia, or anything like that; but to a young child who'd never smelt anything like that before it was ample to engender one of those cardinal olfactory memories, in which one remembers all the circumstances clearly, as though they are indelibly y-stampèn. I think it's for this reason that I don't go for rose perfumes a great deal - to me somehow rose ought to be left alone completely, and yet I don't wish to wear rose ^alone^ as a perfume. Having said this, I do wear rose perfumes; I just mean I don't usually ^particularly seek^ them. And this is certainly one in which that ^rule^ of rose being left alone is completely overthrown, in that it is a truly ingenious broaching of that note unto a truly extraordinary synergy with the other elements comprised in this 'fume.

I am getting that feral undercurrent that I mentioned above really very strong & perpetual. I still can't say exactly what it is: I don't think I would ^quite^ classify this as an °animalic bad girl°, and I think it might well be primarily, if not wholly, a synergy of ambroxan & benzoin. Although I do notice that orris is one of the components, so that's probably factoring in as well. Orris seems ^always^ to be a decider with me, even when I don't detect it explicitly. So many times now it has turned out later that the 'fume I have chosen fræ a range or collection is the one that has orris in it! But can orris be deemed skanky or bad-girlish atall really? You know, I do think it can in a ^very^ subtle way, it is so ^very^ complex & compelling an aroma.

I'm getting that °bad-girl-ish° current really ^very^ strong in the whiffs I am getting fræ this. It ^definitely^ was not just a fleeting figment of olfactory imagination at the apothecary's! And I ^do^ think the orris is having somewhat to do with it!

... a couple of hours later ...
The orris in this is becoming more clearly apparent now, the longer I wear it.

... a fair few hours later ...
This 'fume is now in its drydown. I would say it is a really quite non-linear 'fume: this drydown is a quite distinct phase, but is a °fugue° on it's heart phase. Or maybe more like the same tune played in a different mode, or something lije that. In fact, it does sort of bring to mind the notion of a sunset! It's heavier & more sombre than the heart, and has, perhaps, a certain woodiness or balsamicity to it. But then there is benzoin in it of course.

Thoroughly excellent this one - has greatly excedden my expectations.
5.0 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Gold
Rose-lovers: here's a good one!
Van Cleef & Arpels launched "Rose Velours" as part of their "Collection Extraordinaire" in 2013. Just another rose-scent? Yes, but a very good one. So if you dislike rose-perfumes, don't bother to read on. "Rose Velour" wears its heart on its sleeve, it is very pretty indeed and the opulent rose with its notes of honey, accompanied by benzoin and iris, is always centre-stage. Maisondieu redefines the contemporary stance on the ultra-popular rose: no frills, no glitter, but an intelligent approach to the queen of flowers based on quality ingredients. There is nothing complex about "Rose Velour", yet it seems to artfully blend what belongs together: finest rose absolute with cedarwood and benzoin notes, resulting in a lush, velvety soft and long-lasting perfume.
"Rose velour" is a fragrance that is determined to please rose-lovers - and perhaps this very intention is its limitation. But then again, I guess the audience it was composed for are not complaining.

Jazzy76 85 days ago
not only a rose based scent, but a charming symphony of flowery and warm notes with a very sexy and sweet base. A gem. Good sillage+1

by Heavenly85