Collection Extraordinaire - Moonlight Patchouli 2016

Collection Extraordinaire - Moonlight Patchouli by Van Cleef & Arpels
Bottle Design Carré Basset
Collection Extraordinaire - Moonlight Patchouli is a popular perfume by Van Cleef & Arpels for women and men and was released in 2016. The scent is floral-earthy. It is being marketed by Inter Parfums. Pronunciation

Sonia Constant

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Pink pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesRose, Iris
Base Notes Base NotesSuede, Patchouli

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 14.05.2021.

Moonlight Velour
We are on a night walk
A cold summer night
makes me throw on a thin wool sweater
The wind blows gently
surrounded by a damp warm aura
Our faces lit by the full moon
lays its light on our bodies
sitting hand in hand close to each other
Thinking of that time

A very happy fragrance, elegant in a different way due to the patchouli, a little earthy but not overtly so. The notes blend into a fairly linear but voluminous melange. Find it mysterious and mystical through iris, leather, patch and leather. Rose is present but not overbearing. Patch is not too damp, the suede well measured and lives up to its name. It carries a certain coolness with it throughout.

For me personally no 10s fragrance, for me the opening is not astrein balanced, bergamot and pepper is a combination that takes getting used to, which I feel not quite suitable for the fragrance. Nevertheless, it may linger voerst in my collection, maybe he still holds surprises for me. For an "Extraordinaire" I lack the Bähm, also a certain surprise I expect from a 100% fragrance missing me here.

Loud he is not, max. 7.5 of 10. Also the durability is for me only in the mediocrity. Could I therefore also imagine good as Ausgehuft without anzuecken, business or generally for leisure or feel-good fragrance
Want to buy roses?
Moonlight Patchouli is a slightly misleading title.

In my opinion, the fragrance is too "bright" for mondlich or the dark of the night is missing and ruins the mood. The fragrance is pleasant, only unfortunately I had other expectations of it.

It is definitely a unisex fragrance. Floral, with the rose being dominant. Bright, soft, feminine - without pampy sweetness. Can also wear well as a man.

Preferably during the day in casual office/leisure. All year round.

Patchouli is unfortunately barely noticeable. It acts discreetly in the background. The top notes I do not smell out in the stated form. Probably it is this floral, fresh fragrance, which some have described here as "laundry fragrance".

Yes, goes in the direction, but is much more pleasant than sniffing the fabric softener ;)
My wife's nose also landed on my chest immediately and didn't find it all that unpleasant.

The Silage is discreetly perceived at Corona distance. More precisely you can classify the fragrance but only so from 30-50cm I would say.

The dominant rose goes over time (~3-4h) in leather. Again, the whole is very subtle and soft and I waver between leather and light woods in the classification.
All very unexciting but good. Since I had Tom Ford's BEAU DE JOUR also in front of the nose I would rather reach in comparison to Van Cleef & Arpels since here no powder whatsoever is to be heard.

What is similar: Both smell clean. For my taste a little too clean to justify a purchase. But quite well done, just not quite mine. Qualitatively but certainly a brand of which I will test more.
Delicate elegance
She's so different from the others. Yes, she likes to dig in the ground, but she plants beautiful flowers all the time. Instead of a self-batiked cotton dress, she prefers to wear an elegant little black dress in her hippie commune, even if she sometimes gets funny looks. And whenever she's out with her friends from the goth scene, she always stands out from the black coats as if she were a motley dog.

This is Moonlight Patchouli. So very different from anything I've sniffed so far in the context of patch scents. The earthy patchouli note is so subtly integrated into the dark red rose and the dry, very slightly powdery iris, that it is actually only to be guessed. If the name wasn't emblazoned boldly on the bottle (or in my case, on the sample), I wouldn't have believed this was supposed to be a patchouli scent at first. And even one that has patchouli in the name. Unbelievable! I was expecting a delicate frankincense or myrrh scent with beautifully incorporated floral notes and a hint of leather. But patchouli? BUT PATCHOULI? Patchouli I am only able to recognize when I know it, what we are dealing with here.

To all of you who can't stand patchouli at all because it's too earthy, too goth, or too hippie-esque. You absolutely have to try Moonlight Patchouli! Here you'll get to know a patch scent (or at least the inkling of a patch scent) that might even win you over. To patchouli lovers in the classic sense. Hands off! You will certainly find it awful.

Patchouli or not. This is a very fine fragrance. For my nose next to my Bois d'Iris one of the most beautiful of the brand. He is delicate, elegant, refined and I see him, especially by the intense rose note, a bit more on the feminine side. I think of a little black dress or other more dressy wardrobe with this fragrance and can imagine it wonderful for going out. Since it's not an intrusive, loudly roaring sillage monster, I'm sure it would fit nicely in a business setting in subtle doses. Classically in a suit or pantsuit and a touch of Moonlight Patchouli. Why not?

For myself, he is eliminated due to the quite dominant rose notes, yet I sniff him really very much.

Many thanks to the dear MadameLegras for the test opportunity.

Grand soiree' rose
This is femininity in all its glory, and very decisively so!

It oozes femme fatal from first spray to dry down!
I was looking for my forever rose and someone suggested this: was I thankful! This reminds me very strongly of La Perla - original formula - though in there carnation is more prominent than rose. But boys, aren't they almost the same in the opening!

Absolutely gorgeous if one loves leatherose combos with a woody back-up. The woods here are soft and cozy, the rose just a subtle nudge in combo with a glorious patchouli, creating a sensual, extremely feminine accord. No iris note that I can detect, no powderiness.

I would associate this to a very French, grand soiree ballgown. It definitely makes one imagine a stunning lady all dressed up, jewels shining, ready to go to a ball, or a concert. Very sophisticated, incredibly balanced and both longevity and sillage are amazing. I am confused as to why they promote this as unisex, when no doubt this is a ladies fragrance.
Harry Potter
My first reaction to Moonlight Patchouli was "Wow."

I am anyway a fan of Van Cleef and Arpels fragrances, which in my opinion almost without exception release super unique and yet not negatively rated fragrances with predominantly good performance...

Just my favorite fragrance Midnight in Paris was a prime example during my lifetime.

But now for my evaluation...

The smell makes me think of Harry Potter all the time. A nice, friendly, almost fresh and fruity start, beautifully floral bergamot underlined by very gentle peppercorns and a nice portion of mysticism is spread by the patchouli and the soft, clean leather... So beautifully pure, innocent and charming is the fragrance. Almost like the first Harry Potter pieces. Not serious and grown up to the blood, but young and yet not immature
After about 1 1/2 hours the whole thing continues with a flowery green appearance. Well perceptible, more grown up and still so beautiful dreamy. A lot of tea-like powdery iris with some wood, light moss associations and a rising rose.

So it stays for 3-4 hours until the roses, leather, patchouli mixture slowly takes the stage. The one between the stages is the best for me. It reminds me of the Order of the Phoenix, when everyone is not quite grown up yet but also no longer children. The first disappointments and experiences have taken away their youthful naivety, without taking away their lightness. After all, the fragrance does not obsessively scream for attention or need to show off. It is more like lying on the garage roof on a clear summer night with your first love and looking at the stars. So banal and yet so irreplaceable.

After about 8 hours patchouli and leather have completely taken over the field... Not quite so clean, light and young is the whole thing. The so far so constant perceptible sillage is slowly getting very close. Just the final alone could be a leather scent of its own, that's how great the real thing looks. Almost melancholically grown up everything passes you by shortly before disappearing and you only see the credits or lines from the last Harry Potter part in front of you, in which Harry takes his own child to the train on track 9 3/4 towards Hogwarts and can look his old acquaintances from former times after an eternity again in the eyes.
I can only recommend everyone to generally rummage through the Van Cleef and Arpels fragrances. All the ones I had in my hand so far would have been worth their money and often you don't smell them either, strangely enough
Only men with very masculine preferences could have a problem with this. Despite the leather, it's more of a feminine soft scent, which many men will find to be super standing but rather too soft.

The flacons are in a class of their own and definitely do not need to hide anywhere.

Durability is around 8-10 hours, the Sillage never screams, but should be at least 4 hours with everyone still pleasant and clearly perceptible in the room. More would also be absolutely unsuitable for this scent.
I feel your love... Moonlight
I really like Moonlight Patchouli. From the first moment. This warmth, in which the wonderful rose scent envelops me, is hard to describe. As if I was moving in an ocean of harmony. An embrace of a fragrance from which I no longer want to let go. So much feeling is in this fragrance. It's like I can feel the love I'm craving. I bathe in the light of the moon in a sea of warming feelings, while the lovely scent of roses accompanies me through the night
Moonshine washing line
Arnold Layne
Had a strange hobby
Collecting clothes
Moonshine washing line
They suit him fine

As a patchouli fan I didn't want to write a comment on this fragrance. Had got it as a sample and tested it some time ago and had actually already forgotten it because it could not meet my expectations of a patch scent. Not patchouli, but a lot of other stuff While rummaging around in the souk I just came across him again and that's when I came up with the headline for my commi, a line from Arnold Layne, a song by Pink Floyd, written by Syd Barrett in 1967. It's about a guy who steals the underwear and lingerie from the clothesline of the ladies in the neighborhood at night by moonlight to add it to his collection - Collection Extraordinaire.
And just like the ladies do their laundry, this fragrance has also lost its patchouli. The best ingredient, the erotic, the wicked is missing from the fragrance. Unfortunately.
Melancholy
A very dear Parfuma gave me a splendid tasting package. Including Moonlight Patchouli. What a promising name. *ffft*ffft* a gentle, pleasant breath blows by. very appealing. But... where'd he go? Confusion. Apparently, I'm kind of blind to the top note. *ffft* Something like that... The sprayed arm is held under the bear's nose. "Do you smell anything?" "Yes, it does. Smells." (that's almost enthusiasm already).
That's odd. First, some kitchen work. Half an hour later a melancholic rose blooms timidly. The flowers are framed by woody notes and cocoa powder. Sweet, but not sugar wadded. A good sweet, that's not to be taken for granted. Powdery. Very well balanced. For the leather in the base note my nose lacks the experience.
Well, the top score failed completely in this test, I've never experienced that before. Maybe it was my bath earlier? But I like this gentle, mysterious scent very much, I will test it very gladly and very soon a second time. In a commentary Arwen was associated, that fits perfectly, I think.
Many thanks to Casimir for this fragrance experience
4.5

Not As Intriguing As Expected
I tried this fragrance for the fist time today, so these are first impressions, and I may have to update the review later, but so far, Moonlight Patchouli has failed to impress me.

Firstly, I cannot really distinguish the notes. The fragrance is blended in such a way as to present as something that to my nose smells like a generic department store fragrance. There are moments here and there where it recalls Coromandel for a nanosecond, but that is about all. Initially, it is smells a bit medicinal but not overly so. It is light, somewhat transparent, and clean. It is unisex. There is nothing particularly feminine about it, but then again, there is nothing particularly masculine about it either, although I would be less surprised to smell this on a man than on a woman. Although it has floral notes of rose and iris, I do not find this fragrance especially floral or sweet or warm. Within the first 30 minutes, I could almost detect a cocoa note, but again, it was not a gourmand note, and it did not linger.

I find this a rather difficult fragrance to describe. It is rather cool and somewhat high pitched. It is unisex, and it reminds me of the generic smell of a department store such as Macy's. I cannot say it is a bad fragrance, but I cannot say it is a really good fragrance, either. It just "is." Maybe that is enough for VC&A, but I want more. If the listed notes sound good to you, I suggest you spend a bit more and buy Coromandel. It is a much more satisfying fragrance.

I do not think MP would be a good choice for the office or other work environment. It is more casual, inelegant, and sporty than it is either office friendly or date night appropriate. Performance is average. The only thing about it that I find really interesting is its name. The name suggests romance, but I do not find the fragrance at all romantic.

Fragrance: 5/10
Projection: 6/10
Sillage: 6/10
Longevity: 7/10
Meggi
You poor girl from the choir
"Hupfdohle" - a rather spiteful expression, especially since those who are disparagingly mistaken often enough "can" much more (at least rarely less!) than the star they accompany. With "Du armes Girl vom Chor" the Comedian Harmonists have set a sounding monument for all of them, which I unfortunately only found online in a strangely reverberant, apparently unhappily reworked version (youtube.com/watch?v=NqOPgta_bNk). There is possibly an even more beautiful, melancholic and intimate version of the King's Singers on their record "A Tribute to the Comedian Harmonists" (youtube.com/watch?v=tJdHiCfgzk0), a celebration for friends of the - or the! - legendary ensembles.

Patchouli must feel like a honking jackdaw in this fragrance. Already the prelude is very rosy. The patchouli just grounds a bit and is allowed to polish the spines of the queen of flowers. And although the indications no. 2 and 3 of the top note could offer a formal reinforcement, because they simply name further, quite perceptible aspects of Patchouli, it remains a minor role. A leather appearance - again from the patchouli corner, of course - appears within a few minutes. It is helped by an oily-tarry rose twist of the kind that also unfolds a closeness to leather in other fragrances. The star introduces the dancers? Again nothing with the first row.

Soon it will be possible to diagnose "fruits" as dutifully as possible, at any rate there is a mild, obscene mixture. I can first fantasize into red berries and apricots. A little later, I think about banana, then starfruit. New Caledonian Fur-Flabuttts and Hudsonbay-Knickapfel could be mentioned. In other words: The aforementioned mixture does not give the impression of a diffuse general fruit mix, but I imagine a multitude of picturesque, small spots of individual aroma nuances. In front, however, there is a dark, lush, still almost tarry rose. The Patcholi hands her servil a light leather glove.

The progress is - not surprisingly - clearly dominated by floral elements. The rose has become softer. Iris is ventilation rather than an independent component. Much more urgent is a thought of jasmine, supposedly a common addition to rose scents of a more classic cut anyway.

Well, I inevitably end up with the rose. The Patchouli has tried it with wood, leather, Meinetwegen cocoa and finally even Ansatz-Erdigem. And yet the audience stares (and smells) only at the main actress.

Some hours later, it has become quieter, the girl from the choir enters the stage again - alone. The first steps are hesitant, playful, finally they become more courageous: an elegant, soft leather. Gently breathed by a floral memory, just as the aura of a celebrated diva can be felt long after the last curtain has fallen in the hall.

I thank Ergoproxy for the sample.

by Mustang69
by Ninina
by ToniH
by ToniH

Popular Van Cleef & Arpels

Collection Extraordinaire - Bois d'Iris by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Orchidée Vanille by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Bois Doré by Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris (Eau de Parfum) by Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Gem (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Rose Velours by Van Cleef & Arpels Tsar (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Néroli Amara by Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - California Rêverie by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Ambre Impérial by Van Cleef & Arpels First (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Oud Blanc by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Bois d'Amande by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Precious Oud by Van Cleef & Arpels First Edition Blanche by Van Cleef & Arpels Birmane (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Zanzibar (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels First (Eau de Parfum) by Van Cleef & Arpels