Collection Extraordinaire - Moonlight Patchouli 2016

Collection Extraordinaire - Moonlight Patchouli by Van Cleef & Arpels
Bottle Design Carré Basset
Collection Extraordinaire - Moonlight Patchouli is a popular perfume by Van Cleef & Arpels for women and men and was released in 2016. The scent is floral-earthy. It is being marketed by Inter Parfums. Pronunciation

Sonia Constant

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
Pink pepperPink pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesRoseRose
IrisIris
Base Notes Base NotesSuedeSuede
PatchouliPatchouli

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 10.10.2021.

Moonlight walk
I walk through the night, watching the stars and wandering through my thoughts.

The day at work with colleagues was stressful but successful, the evening with family beautiful and adventurous.

Fresh out of the shower, I now spray this Moonlight Patchouli.

The scents waft around me as if someone is tenderly embracing me.
I feel warmth, affection and a long day passes me by like this and lets everything fall away from me.

The scent of the rose and iris are so captivating on my skin, with the hint of suede on top and that soft patchouli this perfume melts in my mouth - unfortunately it is not edible.

I now know two perfumes of the Vancleef and Arpels series and can feel a softness in these fragrances that is so perfected, that you think you smell clouds.

A nice end to the day of Moonlight Patchouli.
I'll give it a try...
For a long time I have been looking for a perfume which simply gives me the feeling of something special By that I don't necessarily mean the durability and maybe not the sillage.... I wanted to smell something which I smelled before nowhere.
So I was last October in one of our city perfumeries and already wanted to go as one Moonlight Patchouli on the arm sprayed.
I didn't have much experience with Van Cleef & Arpels and accordingly had few expectations.
I walked out of the store and almost forgot to smell the perfume until I did.... I stopped in the middle of the old town and went my way back and bought the perfume immediately.

I really rarely have such impulses but the impression of this perfume at that moment.... Patchouli paired with soft rose and a touch of leather give this perfume something really mysterious, so the bottle is for my taste on perfectly chosen.
The durability is good on my hair but unfortunately also not more than good.... The sillage holds back there a little more and only rarely take fellow people perceive the fragrance, but if he is perceived... then there are so far consistently positive comments.
The fragrance does not seem too heavy or exhausting, however, you have to be able to wear this fragrance.

If I had to put it in a nutshell I would call this fragrance elegant Gothic.

In my small modest collection he was included.
The Countess and the Ghost in the Moonlight
It's dawn.
Evening tastes of the melting sun on the horizon and still sips delicately of the fleeting day until it finally absorbs it completely. Only the morning will again bring forth a new day from the night, and it will perhaps more or less resemble what has gone before.
But before that it is time with the evening twilight.
Time, as it returns every evening. For many years now. Precisely then, when the sun seemingly lays down its light at the edge of the earth and a gentle breeze finally extinguishes it.
Then a gate opens at the side of the castle.
Previously hidden by rose hedges, an ornate wrought-iron gate has slid open a little and a shadow flits out and into the evening landscape.

Those who know the castle and its history know who has stepped out of the shadow of the hedges. At this time of night the Countess is out in her garden. She loves the sunlight, but she enjoys the evening and the night just as much. Then she delights in walking along the pebble paths that gradually lead her further and further into the artfully laid out flower beds and to the individual self-contained miniature gardens with their lush plantings.
The wind gently caresses the Countess' skin and hair as she seems to soak up every moment in the opulent landscape. Every step she takes with her silk slippers can be heard on the pebbles, as can the rustle of the hem of her dress as it brushes over them.
But today something is different.
The discarded rose at the foot of the castle steps is the agreed-upon sign she has waited so long for. The meeting place is a certain spot in the garden.

In a pavilion almost completely and opaquely entwined by ivy, she meets a figure. As the Countess enters, she slowly rises from the round table and bows somewhat laboriously but nonetheless surrendered. Having seated herself, the Lady of the Manor also directs her counterpart to be seated again with an elegant hand gesture.
"Now my dear, what have you brought me that is beautiful?" the gentle voice of the mistress is heard at the same time.

The figure sits down slowly and moves forward to the edge of the table, out of the shadow of the ivy-covered dome into the sparse evening light.
In view is an old woman, wrapped in dark robes, her wide hood draped over her long white curly hair. Her cloak is embroidered at the borders with symbols that seem to change with every movement, as if the fabric were living with her or through her.
The old woman reaches into her cloak and pulls out a small box, which she gently slides to the center of the table. There the Countess receives it and places it in front of her.
As if to curb her anticipation of the past months, she hesitates for a moment before lifting the lid of the box and taking a deep breath.
Now she holds in her hands what she asked the old woman from the woods for.
An old woman who pretended then to be a weary wanderer and in search of food and a camp for the night. The great-hearted lady of the manor offered her home, and the next day, when the old woman took her leave, she granted the countess three wishes in thanks.
Two still remain unspoken, but the one she now holds in her hands.
At first glance, a black, crystal bottle, but its multi-faceted cut sparkles midnight blue in the evening light and seems to be powdered with diamond dust.
A structure as if it had been designed by the goddess of the night personally and provided with star shine. The light of the dawn gives the small vessel a truly unearthly grace.

Tentatively, almost reverently, the Countess carefully loosens the stopper and pulls it out. Almost simultaneously, a breathtaking fragrance emerges from the flacon, as if it were made only of the most beautiful dreams. The mistress drops a droplet on the back of her hand, where it spreads almost oily on her skin. The closer she brings her hand to her nose, the more she can make out her dark red rose that she loves so much. It graces the center of her gardens and is tall, lush, and proud. Velvety petals exude fairy tales from 1001 nights and its fragrance lingers in soft veils over the entire garden landscape. Even the iris, which grows along the castle wall, can be recognised without a doubt in the elixir and shines with the stately rose. Even the scent of the noble suede coat of the Countess's late husband has been skilfully captured by the old woman and harmoniously added to the two royally scented flowers. It adds a sensual softness and even more depth to the perfume, causing the mistress to briefly struggle for composure. The coat, tragically, her husband could never wear and yet he seems to be omnipresent through the fragrance with it.

Essential oil of the patchouli plant the Countess had brought back from a trip to India and had hoarded like a treasure ever since. She has waited for the right moment to create something special from it. The oil complements the other fragrance essences in an almost magical way and gives everything a strong yet sensitive character. Just like the Countess's.
How could the old woman so unerringly create a perfumed elixir with the desired notes of the Countess of the Castle, and add her own essences to it, resulting in a flawless fragrance of such harmony? A question that can be discerned in her look of wonder.
But the old woman shrouds herself in silence, smiling only smugly. The gleam in the mistress's eyes and her pleasurable, almost dreamy absorption of the vapours from the back of her hand reveal without words that she has struck right at the heart of her counterpart with her creation.

Night has fallen by now. Time for the old woman to leave. Slowly she rises from the table and bows slightly. Then she carefully descends the steps of the pavilion and walks with unhurried steps along the accurately trimmed box bushes that lead to the end of the garden and out and into the night.
The Countess looks again at the wonderful bottle as she realizes that she has not really said thank you to the woman.
But when she looks up from the table in her direction, the old woman has disappeared from the path. Not a sound, not a trace, as if she had never been there. It almost seemed to her as if she had met with a ghost. A truly good spirit.

Making her way along the pebbled paths back to the castle, the Countess strode with her head held high and a beatific smile. In her hands the little box with the precious bottle. The tears that flow down her face are tears of joy and glisten lightly in the moonlight.
This elixir she will guard like her life.
To indulge in a drop of it whenever she wants to remember days gone by and to gift herself in the present on special occasions.

And to all who ask, she will say in a mysterious voice, "This treasure was given to me by a spirit in the moonlight."

Note: For me personally, Moonlight Patchouli is not a bright and cheerful fragrance, but has something mystical and mysterious. The bottle could also be wrapped in black velvet.
I find the fragrance elegant, neat and classy. He shines and lasts long and has already brought me many a compliment.
And I can certainly imagine him on a gentleman who loves special things.

I don't know...
The black bottle, the name of the fragrance, van Cleef & Arpels fragrances in general, the fragrance pyramid.... everything appeals to me, but I do not know what's going on with the fragrance or both of us.

I find the name misleading, the fragrance is too fresh for me, too fruity, too rose-heavy, patchouli I can only guess, leather as well. I can not grasp him. The 'darkness' is missing for me, the coolness, the mysterious, the lawful. After a few hours, the fragrance gets a little darker on my skin, but then it is also already almost imperceptible.

The many otherwise positive comments here let me wear the fragrance over and over again at intervals. He is undoubtedly beautiful, but also so 'normal' and especially not what I hoped for and prefer.
I want to like it so much, but I don't know ....
Moonlight Velour
We are on a night walk
A cold summer night
makes me throw on a thin wool sweater
The wind blows gently
surrounded by a damp warm aura
Our faces lit by the full moon
lays its light on our bodies
sitting hand in hand close to each other
Thinking of that time

A very happy fragrance, elegant in a different way due to the patchouli, a little earthy but not overtly so. The notes blend into a fairly linear but voluminous melange. Find it mysterious and mystical through iris, leather, patch and leather. Rose is present but not overbearing. Patch is not too damp, the suede well measured and lives up to its name. It carries a certain coolness with it throughout.

For me personally no 10s fragrance, for me the opening is not astrein balanced, bergamot and pepper is a combination that takes getting used to, which I feel not quite suitable for the fragrance. Nevertheless, it may linger voerst in my collection, maybe he still holds surprises for me. For an "Extraordinaire" I lack the Bähm, also a certain surprise I expect from a 100% fragrance missing me here.

Loud he is not, max. 7.5 of 10. Also the durability is for me only in the mediocrity. Could I therefore also imagine good as Ausgehuft without anzuecken, business or generally for leisure or feel-good fragrance
Want to buy roses?
Moonlight Patchouli is a slightly misleading title.

In my opinion, the fragrance is too "bright" for mondlich or the dark of the night is missing and ruins the mood. The fragrance is pleasant, only unfortunately I had other expectations of it.

It is definitely a unisex fragrance. Floral, with the rose being dominant. Bright, soft, feminine - without pampy sweetness. Can also wear well as a man.

Preferably during the day in casual office/leisure. All year round.

Patchouli is unfortunately barely noticeable. It acts discreetly in the background. The top notes I do not smell out in the stated form. Probably it is this floral, fresh fragrance, which some have described here as "laundry fragrance".

Yes, goes in the direction, but is much more pleasant than sniffing the fabric softener ;)
My wife's nose also landed on my chest immediately and didn't find it all that unpleasant.

The Silage is discreetly perceived at Corona distance. More precisely you can classify the fragrance but only so from 30-50cm I would say.

The dominant rose goes over time (~3-4h) in leather. Again, the whole is very subtle and soft and I waver between leather and light woods in the classification.
All very unexciting but good. Since I had Tom Ford's BEAU DE JOUR also in front of the nose I would rather reach in comparison to Van Cleef & Arpels since here no powder whatsoever is to be heard.

What is similar: Both smell clean. For my taste a little too clean to justify a purchase. But quite well done, just not quite mine. Qualitatively but certainly a brand of which I will test more.
Delicate elegance
She's so different from the others. Yes, she likes to dig in the ground, but she plants beautiful flowers all the time. Instead of a self-batiked cotton dress, she prefers to wear an elegant little black dress in her hippie commune, even if she sometimes gets funny looks. And whenever she's out with her friends from the goth scene, she always stands out from the black coats as if she were a motley dog.

This is Moonlight Patchouli. So very different from anything I've sniffed so far in the context of patch scents. The earthy patchouli note is so subtly integrated into the dark red rose and the dry, very slightly powdery iris, that it is actually only to be guessed. If the name wasn't emblazoned boldly on the bottle (or in my case, on the sample), I wouldn't have believed this was supposed to be a patchouli scent at first. And even one that has patchouli in the name. Unbelievable! I was expecting a delicate frankincense or myrrh scent with beautifully incorporated floral notes and a hint of leather. But patchouli? BUT PATCHOULI? Patchouli I am only able to recognize when I know it, what we are dealing with here.

To all of you who can't stand patchouli at all because it's too earthy, too goth, or too hippie-esque. You absolutely have to try Moonlight Patchouli! Here you'll get to know a patch scent (or at least the inkling of a patch scent) that might even win you over. To patchouli lovers in the classic sense. Hands off! You will certainly find it awful.

Patchouli or not. This is a very fine fragrance. For my nose next to my Bois d'Iris one of the most beautiful of the brand. He is delicate, elegant, refined and I see him, especially by the intense rose note, a bit more on the feminine side. I think of a little black dress or other more dressy wardrobe with this fragrance and can imagine it wonderful for going out. Since it's not an intrusive, loudly roaring sillage monster, I'm sure it would fit nicely in a business setting in subtle doses. Classically in a suit or pantsuit and a touch of Moonlight Patchouli. Why not?

For myself, he is eliminated due to the quite dominant rose notes, yet I sniff him really very much.

Many thanks to the dear MadameLegras for the test opportunity.

Grand soiree' rose
This is femininity in all its glory, and very decisively so!

It oozes femme fatal from first spray to dry down!
I was looking for my forever rose and someone suggested this: was I thankful! This reminds me very strongly of La Perla - original formula - though in there carnation is more prominent than rose. But boys, aren't they almost the same in the opening!

Absolutely gorgeous if one loves leatherose combos with a woody back-up. The woods here are soft and cozy, the rose just a subtle nudge in combo with a glorious patchouli, creating a sensual, extremely feminine accord. No iris note that I can detect, no powderiness.

I would associate this to a very French, grand soiree ballgown. It definitely makes one imagine a stunning lady all dressed up, jewels shining, ready to go to a ball, or a concert. Very sophisticated, incredibly balanced and both longevity and sillage are amazing. I am confused as to why they promote this as unisex, when no doubt this is a ladies fragrance.
Harry Potter
My first reaction to Moonlight Patchouli was "Wow."

I am anyway a fan of Van Cleef and Arpels fragrances, which in my opinion almost without exception release super unique and yet not negatively rated fragrances with predominantly good performance...

Just my favorite fragrance Midnight in Paris was a prime example during my lifetime.

But now for my evaluation...

The smell makes me think of Harry Potter all the time. A nice, friendly, almost fresh and fruity start, beautifully floral bergamot underlined by very gentle peppercorns and a nice portion of mysticism is spread by the patchouli and the soft, clean leather... So beautifully pure, innocent and charming is the fragrance. Almost like the first Harry Potter pieces. Not serious and grown up to the blood, but young and yet not immature
After about 1 1/2 hours the whole thing continues with a flowery green appearance. Well perceptible, more grown up and still so beautiful dreamy. A lot of tea-like powdery iris with some wood, light moss associations and a rising rose.

So it stays for 3-4 hours until the roses, leather, patchouli mixture slowly takes the stage. The one between the stages is the best for me. It reminds me of the Order of the Phoenix, when everyone is not quite grown up yet but also no longer children. The first disappointments and experiences have taken away their youthful naivety, without taking away their lightness. After all, the fragrance does not obsessively scream for attention or need to show off. It is more like lying on the garage roof on a clear summer night with your first love and looking at the stars. So banal and yet so irreplaceable.

After about 8 hours patchouli and leather have completely taken over the field... Not quite so clean, light and young is the whole thing. The so far so constant perceptible sillage is slowly getting very close. Just the final alone could be a leather scent of its own, that's how great the real thing looks. Almost melancholically grown up everything passes you by shortly before disappearing and you only see the credits or lines from the last Harry Potter part in front of you, in which Harry takes his own child to the train on track 9 3/4 towards Hogwarts and can look his old acquaintances from former times after an eternity again in the eyes.
I can only recommend everyone to generally rummage through the Van Cleef and Arpels fragrances. All the ones I had in my hand so far would have been worth their money and often you don't smell them either, strangely enough
Only men with very masculine preferences could have a problem with this. Despite the leather, it's more of a feminine soft scent, which many men will find to be super standing but rather too soft.

The flacons are in a class of their own and definitely do not need to hide anywhere.

Durability is around 8-10 hours, the Sillage never screams, but should be at least 4 hours with everyone still pleasant and clearly perceptible in the room. More would also be absolutely unsuitable for this scent.
I feel your love... Moonlight
I really like Moonlight Patchouli. From the first moment. This warmth, in which the wonderful rose scent envelops me, is hard to describe. As if I was moving in an ocean of harmony. An embrace of a fragrance from which I no longer want to let go. So much feeling is in this fragrance. It's like I can feel the love I'm craving. I bathe in the light of the moon in a sea of warming feelings, while the lovely scent of roses accompanies me through the night

by Mustang69
by Ninina
by ToniH
by ToniH

Popular Van Cleef & Arpels

Collection Extraordinaire - Orchidée Vanille by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Bois Doré by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Bois d'Iris by Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris (Eau de Parfum) by Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Rose Velours by Van Cleef & Arpels Gem (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Néroli Amara by Van Cleef & Arpels Tsar (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - California Rêverie by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Ambre Impérial by Van Cleef & Arpels First (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Bois d'Amande by Van Cleef & Arpels First (Eau de Parfum) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Oud Blanc by Van Cleef & Arpels Zanzibar (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Santal Blanc by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Precious Oud by Van Cleef & Arpels First Edition Blanche by Van Cleef & Arpels