First (1976) Eau de Toilette

First (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels
Bottle Design: Jacques Llorente

First (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Van Cleef & Arpels for women and was released in 1976. The scent is floral-powdery. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Inter Parfums.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Raspberry, Mandarin, Peach, Blackcurrant
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Hyacinth, Orris root, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Narcissus, Orchid, Tuberose, Turkish rose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Honey, Musk, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Vetiver, Civet

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 09.10.2019

Originally, the fragrance was produced by Omnium de la Parfumerie de Luxe.

8.0 8.0 8.0 8.5/10

A perfume for FIRST ladies
Rich and refined, similar to the mythic N.5 but maybe a little sweeter, it's a perfume to wear in special occasions or if you feel a first lady, with a tailleur , a cashmere twin set and a golden collier or a string of true pearls. Its sillage is strong, but very pleasant and not excessive.I love this scent as much as Chanel n.5!

throaty floral
Florals as a category often get maligned by perfume hobbyists. I think they’re considered quaint and that liking them demonstrates a sort of naivté about perfume. ‘There, there, darling. In a few years you’ll find your way to the chypres and leathers.’ I couldn’t disagree more, and First is my evidence. It’s true that well-executed florals tend to demonstrate beauty principally in the same way that ambers tend to demonstrate lushness and chypres, austerity. I think that Huge Florals such as First can hang onto beauty while giving complexity both in the moment and over time. ‘Floral’ alone doesn’t entirely capture it (there are aldehydes, hedione, woods, amber and civet) but if you must put a word to it, floral is best.

First is luxurious and expansive out of the bottle. The first sniff is just radiant. But over time the thrill is the way it moves from chord to chord so seamlessly. You don’t notice any abrupt changes, but the movement isn’t hidden from you either. You feel a slow, steady inertia as First moves out from its center. And while I agree with people’s description of First as symphonic, it is the dissonance that keeps me glued. Yes, aldehydes, white flowers and hedione give that swirling bouquet feel, but the civet, narcissus and I believe tonka focus on something dark beneath the bouquet. And since these elements are the ones that last, that beautiful morning feel at the start gives way to a glamorous twilight.

I know that First’s style of perfumery is considered a bit retro, and that, in general, the symphonic floral has been supplanted by simpler linear woody florals and the fruity floral, but First is still relevant. It is sweepingly gorgeous and makes you stop and think. This is the experience of perfume that I hope never dies.

Note: If you love Amouage Gold or Gold Men (I do) but can’t bear to pay the price (I can’t) try First. It is similar to both and sits somewhere between the two in tone, huge and bright like Gold, animalic like Gold Men.

Classic beauty.
I wore this in the 80's. It made me feel so much more sophisticated than I was, ha ha. Every time I would smell this fragrance, I was swept back to 5th Avenue, New York City, as that is where I spent much of my time while wearing First. For me, First exudes wealth. It's been many years now since I've smelled it, so I can't speak about the notes of the fragrance, I'm going with a feel and memory here. It's not for the young, or immature. A classic beauty. Bottle is gorgeous too.
7.5 7.5 6.0/10

Classic and elegant powderiness
First by Van Cleef & Arpels, is in my opinion very classy and timeless. It is perhaps a little too old for me, but in regards to the future and much older me, I will be re-visiting First.

There is an obvious powdery aspect to First, rather aldehydic and along the lines of another Chanel No.5. However, the powder is not all that sharp. It tends to be quite soft and elegant.

Towards the drydown I detected an odd yet beautiful sweetness, which I now relate to the honey and vanilla notes. This subtle sweetness when blended with the delicate white florals, smells absolutely divine.

The powdery-ness does diminish ever so slightly when settled on the skin, making way for a more soapy finish. First to my nose, smells like an old-fashioned bathroom complete with scented soaps and floral-printed shower curtains. Strangely quaint, yet very likable and familiar.

One thing that we must acknowledge is the fact that this fragrance has lasted for over 30 years in the industry and has been crafted by the very talented Jean-Claude Ellena. I'd recommend this fragrance to anyone that loves powdery, clean or classic scents along the lines of Sicily by Dolce & Gabbana, Chanel No.5 or Lanvin's Arpege. The quintessential fragrance for a true lady.
7.5 10.0 7.5 9.0/10

Fruity Side of Chanel No 5
Let us examine two version of aldehydes VC&A First &
Chanel no 5 VC&A First has a harsh Aldehyaic opening
synthitic and volumed then chanel with it's more discreet and diluted silage In a few minutes V.C
turns to a soft floral scent with accords of black
current raspberry that leaves a sparkling texture
Chanel dries with neroli the note of bergamot dos'nt
overwhelm but still defind the senses ylang ylang
brings the velvety feel of no 5 orris root gives it
an earthy touch, V.C Is Chanel for the 80's a bit
Multi layered then Chanel no 5, A fruiter and outgoing sister aldehyde to Chanel which is reserved
and refind V.C and Chanel has the same Civet note
but Chanel adds a richer and deeper note of civet
then V.C.

Chanel exemplifies the grounded and pragmatic view of femininity while V.C is the Airy more romantic head in the clouds view.

Trucklady 173 days ago
JCE could have left his career at this point and I'd still herald him a genius. Big, bold and beautiful. Penultimate aldehyde.
9.0
10.0
Anessa 2 years ago
Well composed but austere lady.Everything drowned in nose-boxing soap,no fruit.Hints of suppressed lotv.First Iron Lady of Great Soapiness.+3

by First