In New York by Van Cleef & Arpels
Bottle Design: Luigi Bormioli, Brandimage

In New York is a perfume by Van Cleef & Arpels for men and was released in 2016. The scent is woody-fresh. It is being marketed by Inter Parfums.

Top Notes Top NotesItalian lemon, Mandarin, Marine notes
Heart Notes Heart NotesWoods, Lavender, Musk, Clary sage
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Tonka bean

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 13.07.2019

8.0 3.0 5.0 5.0/10

Eau de Toiletlettchen - 1 step forwards, 2 steps backwards
This should be introduced as an additional concentration category. For EdT's who, for whatever reason, are weak underground!

"In New York" is one of those. Yesterday I really added 3 more sprayers while testing, and still didn't have any silage I could notice while walking! Also the next morning there was only a very pale, discreet glow from the day before in my shirt, only very close.

This is doubly sad, because "In New York" is not a novella either. If you haven't deciphered the name, Abercrombie & Fitch's "Fierce" also says "New York" in big letters on the grey box. ;) So anyone who still believes in coincidences is more of an idealist than Captain America. D

And the smell is really very Fierce-like, only not so good. In New York, this fruity, fresh base is found, but the top note is never as sparkling and sparkling as Fierce. Not like the current one, and like the old one / Vintage certainly not!
It smells a lot more like a copy of Montblanc's Fierce copy called Legend. Actually I find more of a mixture of Legend and Legend Intense, because Legend clearly smells more like Fierce.

By the way, the perfumer Sonia Constant has already created fragrances for Montblanc, officially for example "Emblem". Although it's not there, I bet with you, she also worked with Legend (Intense). Maybe that's why the... "Inspiration." ':D

So this Eau de Toilettchen is really so infinitely middle-class and average, that it needs simply nobody.
I don't even mean that now. I bought it on good luck, because Van Cleef & Arpels enjoy a huge trust because of their phenomenally good "Midnight in Paris" EdT as well as EdP.
And there this Bleu de Chanel-like bottle, and the image in combination with the name, sold me the dream, here could even a really iconic, good perfume come to me!

Unfortunately not, it's just the dream that the industry is selling us back at a high price.

I don't think there is anything independent that VC&A could have dared to do that would have disappointed me more than a bad clone of a fragrance that has already been cloned 100 times. Too bad about the nevertheless beautiful and valuable bottle.
I'm just waiting for the Intense version, which smells like Aventus ;D

Last but not least I have to say, I bought 85ml for 34€, so you can keep them good, price-performance moderate it is ok. And if you buy it in a supermarket that doesn't know anything about fragrances, you'll probably find it better than 1 million, Wanted, and all the other mainstreamers you know, if you never get past the front shelf in perfumery.

It's just a fresh-fruity woody scent, with which you can't do anything wrong, but due to lack of uniqueness, and non-existent performance, not much right either.

Oh, it makes me really sad to write such a crack... but is unfortunately the truth.

I think I'm wearing Midnight in Paris tonight, and celebrating the city of love with it again, and this wonderful perfume that Van Cleef & Arpels have given us as a gift for many years, and now unfortunately has been discontinued. :)

Van Cleef & Arpels, back to the start! ;)

Carlitos01 10 months ago
You will like In New York if you like the following too:
A&F Fierce
Dior Sauvage
Bleu de Chanel
Mont Blanc Legend Intense
Versace Dylan Blue+3
AmberScent 10 months ago
An easy to like perfume, similar to a zillion modern fragrances. How I miss MIDNIGHT IN PARIS instead of being stuck IN NEW YORK.+4
Hermesh 11 months ago
Initially pleasantly spicy and promising, the scent slides quickly into a disappointingly synthetic-interchangeable basis.
6.0