Midnight in Paris 2010 Eau de Toilette

Midnight in Paris (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels
Bottle Design Brandimage
Midnight in Paris (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Van Cleef & Arpels for men and was released in 2010. The scent is powdery-sweet. It was last marketed by Inter Parfums. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
RosemaryRosemary
LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesLeatherLeather
Lily of the valleyLily of the valley
Maté teaMaté tea
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber
Tonka beanTonka bean
FrankincenseFrankincense

Submitted by VERIT, last update on 24.09.2021.

Jusch1995
Spray-on starry sky for cosy evenings - A unique fragrance concept for nose and eye
Midnight in Paris opens with a gentle citrus note, unobtrusive but still easily noticeable. The familiar interplay of bergamot and lemon works perfectly and stands out from the later, richer notes without acting as a foreign body.

The first deeper leather notes are already perceptible, which become more prominent in the course of the drydown and are caressed by the tonka bean. The citrus notes move in the further course of the fragrance more and more in the background, but never disappear completely.
The overall effect is very powdery and lush. He floats above things and accompanies his / her wearer without drawing too much attention to himself / herself.
Accordingly, longevity and sillage are only average, which, however, due to the nature of the fragrance does not fall further into the weight.
Due to its unobtrusive nature, it is perfect for a cozy evening on the couch with your loved one.
The fragrance is not intrusive, it will certainly appeal to many people, does not carry much risk for the wearer and that is exactly where its strength lies. Everything seems to come from one source and is very well thought out.
What stands out is the wonderful design of the bottle, which is in a class of its own with its range of colours, shape and the wonderful idea of the sky. It is always fun to take it off the shelf, put it in the light and let the colors play.
Unfortunately, the fragrance is no longer produced, which is reflected in the price. The fact that the fragrance is no longer so easy to get, however, reinforces the mystical aura that surrounds him.

At the price it was when it was released, this fragrance was an unqualified almost ridiculously good recommendation. Even today, it's a great fragrance, but can quickly become very expensive. But through the beautiful bottle you get not only a beautiful fragrance, but a small work of art with a great concept.
Bleauri
Is this art, or can it go?!?
Obviously, this could go away. This fragrance was not granted many years of existence. I keep myself since then with the stock of a half 75s and a full 125s EDT over water...
I found the fragrance really unique, although Bulgaris Black was still there as a reference for me - that alternating between hot-running car tires and vanilla, Midnight for me more between (incense) smoke and a (depending on the day almost rancid) buttery lily of the valley smell. I can sniff out the other ingredients named in the pyramid, but they add up to this very special scent dichotomy for me. Maybe I'm also a little more than sensible of naming and optics of the product were influenced, but I had indeed always Parisian evening scenes in mind, with the smoky quite also hints of "wicked" quarters, in which the fragrance of attention-seeking gentlemen and ladies with the everyday smell of the street (smoke, industry, the "buttery" scent from the bakery next door) mixes.
I've never put this EDT on in public for any occasion until now because I feel like it irritates other people rather than immediately excites them, just as it left me a bit perplexed at first. At home, I always like to immerse myself in dreams of a Paris that exists only in my imagination.

Naf29
Very classy, perfect for special occasions
To be honest I've purchased this a long time ago, around 2015 ( still have 70% of it), for a bargain at the time (17 GBP, for 125 ml EDT). I have wear this only for special occasions, as it has a special vibe to it ( in my opinion, everyone is different). Should you pay now 200,300 Euro/USD or more for this? In my opinion, NO! It's good, very good in my opinion, but not for that price. I don't have bottle's that are in that price range in my collection (200-300 Euro) I'm pretty sure there are other fragrances way better than this one. The bottle is superb, very nicely done, attention to detail is great. The fragrance stays on me for a very long time (8+ hours on skin, more than 2 day's on clothes). It is a collector's fragrance now a days, not sure if it's worth the money ( you will need to judge this by yourself).
My midnight
Dir Midnight...
When I first saw you, your looks left me speechless. Your star images on your body... Your colour transitions... your radiance...
You fascinated me so much, I had to have you, to possess you, to dare a nose into your inner being.
For a long time I had looked for you and then found you. Then you arrived, after a long journey through the Milky Way. I sprayed you on my arm...closed my eyes, smelled you and felt like a comet covered with stardust. You are so seductive, I feel safe, feel understood, feel at home. How sweet you are, how you unfold, how you drink your tea and powder your face and wear a leather jacket over your blouse and smell the lily of the valley because they are your favourite flowers. Even when you are shaken you show your strength side like the EDP... Too bad I didn't meet you sooner...you're gone and it's in the stars if you're coming back, but my hope dies last... I honor you, you always come with me... you make every capital in the world midnight. No matter what time of day it is...
I will always engrave the memory of you in my mind, will try to conquer you as long as it is in my power. Take care of yourself...
See you!

Smellavision
Very classy, but unfortunately too feminine...
This one was a blind buy around five years ago, based on all the praise of this in the perfume community, when I found it online at a great price.

Opening with almond and floral incense, with a hint of tea sneaking in. The drydown is rather cloying and sweet to me, and somehow reminds me of Dior Homme without the lipstick note and less iris. Sweet resinous powder, tonka and vanilla. I am having a really hard time distinguishing the leather note.

I could never see myself wearing this to work, have tried on some nights out but it just didn't feel... right for me.
Smells very good and oozes quality, unfortunately just way too feminine and very sweet on me.
I actually gifted this to my girlfriend some years ago, and on her it just smells alluring yet classy.

On a side note : you really gotta love the beautiful bottle.
Midnight in bath nickel
It's one of those things with hypes. Sometimes an attitude of a perfume leads to the saying that the dead live longer is true. So - similar to works of art - some fragrances become really desirable once they have disappeared from the market. This is undoubtedly also true of Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels. A perfume that cost little at that time and can be purchased today for about 200 Euro in the Souk (EdP version).

The EdP is far more desirable than the EdT, no question about it. Today, however, it is supposed to be about the EdT. Basically the scent is very linear. At the beginning it is much denser and more present, but at some point it becomes weaker and weaker. This happens quite quickly. If the sparkling and fresh start can be explained by the top note, it becomes sweet or powdery almost immediately, as I was told. For me this is a mixture of both, I find the scent quite sweet but yes, everything was powdered as well. Relatively unspectacular and not very cosmopolitan.

The leather is actually perceptible but it is not leather as it is often presented but rather this smooth, grassy leather, covered with a layer of powder because of me. Similar to Tomo Vetiver or also in Agua Fresca Vetiver, as I think. Only there less powdery-sweet but more grassy. The astringency of the mate tea almost disappears, can be guessed at the edge and there would have been more advantageous because the note smells very fine.

The base notes explain what is offered to me and I am not able to recognize the incense.
Be that as it may: Midnight in Paris is a nice fragrance and at that time for the price it was certainly absolutely successful. For today's partly called prices the performance is not right as well as the quality of the ingredients. Midnight in Paris is too harmless, too smooth for that. By the way: that's not how I imagine Midnight in Paris, but rather in a small town in the Ruhr area, exaggerated and slightly spiteful
Unisex
This fragrance is one of the first I tested motivated by Parfumo. I read a lot about him and when I smelled him for the first time I was very surprised. Neither positive nor negative. I just expected something completely different.

What you get is a fragrance that I think is completely unisex. This positioning seems to become clear to all those here at Parfumo who see the classification as "male", but then read the comments that describe him as more "feminine". He's neither. I think it depends more or less on the wearer himself. A woman could wear it without a problem. Also I wear it very gladly and mean that it suits me well.

It is a very sweet fragrance that has a very interesting leather aroma. However, this is not leather, as with Tuscan Leather, Ombré Leather 18 or Colonia Leather. Here the leather is very soft, soft. I always think of brown suede bootees with that smell. I like to wear it with them, too. This fragrance has a light elegance in it, one could almost say delicacy, which in my opinion should also be reflected by the wearer. I don't imagine Midnight in Paris on my hoodies, rather on my clean shirts and soft turtlenecks. Not so much on a wide jogging trousers but on those with long, slender legs and slightly tighter trousers (I don't mean skinny jeans!). It's a little hard to put into words what I'm trying to say. The scent is not loud, it is not "in your face" and the wearer should not be either. Does not mean, of course, that it can only be worn by very feminine men. Quite the opposite: a man who wears this fragrance self-confidently will look all the more masculine. But it's more about self-confidence than fragrance.

It's not a scent for the freezing cold. It's not a scent for the breeding heat. It's somewhere in between. Just like the gender classification.
This fragrance is best suited to the afternoons and evenings of the warmer season. When I think of Paris, I think of white wine, of cigarettes in front of the restaurant, of temperatures that are neither cold nor hot - just pleasant. I'm thinking of slightly smacked-up conversations that don't deal with overly serious topics. I'm thinking a cup of coffee in sunny weather.

The fragrance is something very special in its own way. It is not revolutionary and the durability and SIllage are also quite weak. But it gives the wearer a pleasant and casual feeling. And I like him for that.

PS: The bottle is also fantastic and unique.
Border beings
Male, not too harsh, not too strong but still masculine, the fragrance starts. Not a typical spice flavor and herbal start that many men fragrances have. Rather slightly spicy, not tingling, but here still dancing clearly on the circle with the arrow pointing upwards.
After a few minutes and a few laps on the circle, however, he follows the arrow and climbs over it and out of the sign. The change that is taking place here is phenomenal. As if one being would leave its sex to taste of the other. Only that the change is not so completely carried out. One remains a bit far in the posture, which makes the way on both sides possible for one. There is skilful dancing in the middle and at the border, always ready to step back into one or the other circle of the sexes according to your mood.
Rosemary and lemon, which, together with bergamot at the beginning, certainly contributed the masculine and at the same time short fresh note, spent their time in the air, wearily lie down in soft leather and sip a cup of tea for refreshment. At least you want to scout out the party on the other side later. As a present there is a bouquet of flowers and as you set off there are fine, dense and deliciously ambered fog wafting towards you. The host is delighted with the flowers and invites the new arrivals to join the other invited guests, serving tonka beans with incense. The effect of the snacks is almost intoxicating. Slightly dazed by the fog and the delicacies, at midnight it's back to the circles, animated again, where you can't really decide where you want to go. The vote finally falls at five past twelve to the middle in between. After all, it is she who is the centre of the fragrance, his heart, his soul, not what he was before but what he is...And the aromas of this creation? They are their mysterious, blurred and intangible border creatures, dancing night after night under the starry sky anew between their worlds...!
here's the name program
"Midnight in Paris" - that sounds tempting.
Even those who were not allowed to experience this magic themselves remember at least this scene from "Charade", in which Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn undertake this nocturnal cruise.
In nocturnal Paris, the unobstructed view to the starry sky is certainly as impossible as it is with us in the middle of the city.
And yet it is easy to conjure up the nocturnal impressions of a stroll through the Marais or a nocturnal walk through the Bois de Boulogne: to smell and taste - just to feel!
To stroll along the banks of the Seine, to watch the booksellers putting their stalls together, to listen to the rustling of the leaves of the old trees is a special highlight.
We all sit under the starry night sky in a small street café at Montmartre (there's almost no more cliché here), drink wine, eat a nice snack and chat relaxed.
Of course we also watch the strolling passers-by.
The lovers on the stairs are also part of these nocturnal pictures.
I'm just thinking of the only representational painting by Pablo Picasso that I know: it depicts a night scene in front of a street café in Paris.

But back to "Midnight in Paris" by Van Cleef & Arpels:
The bottle in its deep blue with the starry sky alone promises a lot: a special magic is already offered here.

The first spraying spreads a complex whole: from the beginning it is difficult to break this harmony down into individual fragrances. Maybe that would even be a shame!
The complete arrangement opens with a mature yet subtle citrus aroma with spicy rosemary.
Fine, rosemary in the fragrance is always welcome to me: I love this prickly, somewhat bristly fellow!
Noble leather, which even my "leather scent allergy" takes for granted, and bitter mate tea set sophisticated scent tips, which elegantly smooth the lily of the valley in its earthy sweetness and distribute a proper, yet skilfully dosed portion of flower aroma.
In "Midnight in Paris" nobody dominates: everyone plays equal in this fragrance concert!
Tonka bean delivers its unmistakable sweetish note (appearing muted here); amber and frankincense - oh, what sensual delight!
Here simply all notes of a fragrance symphony were composed in the most wonderful way!

My nose may not separate at all and asks itself only: Why only for gentlemen?
Are we women not allowed this full-bodied experience?
What's that? What's that? Male chauvinism?
And I don't leave the classification "powdery-sweet" unchallenged.
"Midnight in Paris" gains a spicy component through the rosemary and especially through amber and frankincense; which drifts a little bit into bitterness through mate tea: not long, but already perceptible.

I was totally captivated by this scent.
He arouses the desire to get to know this interesting and entertaining city better after all.
Because so far I've only been hanging around in my beloved Italy.
Art and culture and "savoir-vivre" I would surely find in Paris too.
But in the meantime, I once again revert to the pages of Cristina Caboni's perfume novel "The Rose Women", which not only tells the story of the perfume, but also the story of life and love in Paris The two of us will now take a sunbath on the balcony, surrounded by large rosemary plants that generously give off their aromatic scent.
So not "Midnight in Paris", but "Summer in the City"!
Midnight power
I've had the fragrance in my collection for quite some time now and recently I ordered the Kenzo Power, which is currently quite highly traded, also blind. What immediately struck me is the similarity of the two fragrances. An indication that I only noticed after my subjective assessment: Both Olivier Polge. One in 2008, the other in 2010.
For the one or the other who is interested in both fragrances or already owns one of the two, the hint might be useful to base his decision on this. Kenzo Power m.M.n. somewhat more masculine, more reserved. Midnight in Paris: A real diva :D

Carlitos01Carlitos01 4 years ago
Dear VC&A CEO,
Are you a businessman?
If Yes to the previous question, relaunch this fragrance... What are you waiting for?
HajuvanaHajuvana 4 years ago
So very Menardesque it's my favourite Menardo composed by outside perfumer.

by EauMySoul
by EauMySoul
Foreign Exchange - Happiness
by Scottie
by OvidiuH
Weder Mitternacht noch in Paris ;)
by Royalo
by Karlux37
by Thecombad
by Thecombad

Popular Van Cleef & Arpels

Collection Extraordinaire - Orchidée Vanille by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Bois d'Iris by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Bois Doré by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Moonlight Patchouli by Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris (Eau de Parfum) by Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Rose Velours by Van Cleef & Arpels Gem (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Néroli Amara by Van Cleef & Arpels Tsar (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - California Rêverie by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Ambre Impérial by Van Cleef & Arpels First (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels First (Eau de Parfum) by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Bois d'Amande by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Oud Blanc by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Santal Blanc by Van Cleef & Arpels Collection Extraordinaire - Precious Oud by Van Cleef & Arpels First Edition Blanche by Van Cleef & Arpels Zanzibar (Eau de Toilette) by Van Cleef & Arpels