Van Cleef (1993) Eau de Parfum

Van Cleef (Eau de Parfum) by Van Cleef & Arpels
Bottle Design: Serge Mansau

Van Cleef (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Van Cleef & Arpels for women and was released in 1993. The scent is floral-oriental. The longevity is above-average. It was last marketed by Inter Parfums.

Pascal Giraux

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Raspberry, Galbanum, Neroli, Tagetes
Heart Notes Heart NotesHeliotrope, Jasmine, Carnation, Orange blossom, Rose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Cedar

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 24.09.2019

7.5 7.5 10.0 8.0/10

A Classic Marigold/Tagetes Floriental with a Greenish Edge
I was initially disappointed upon the arrival of my bottle of Van Cleef & Arpels VAN CLEEF, which I had purchased scent unsniffed from an online discount emporium. As is my custom, I first sprayed some of the perfume on the inside of the top of the box. Turns out that this composition does not show its best side on paper!

Later, when I tested VAN CLEEF on skin, I found that the top notes were a tiny bit sour--as though they had turned--and were reminiscent of my Ted Lapidus BALENCIAGA (reformulated) or perhaps my Ungaro DIVA edt (the edp is much better). Fortunately, the sourness quickly subsides and after a couple of minutes VAN CLEEF is a really gorgeous and compelling perfume! I should say, however, that in order to appreciate this creation, one must like marigold/tagetes, as it is very dominant--at least to my nose.

I am not sure whether the slightly sour shortlived opening is an indication that my bottle is old--I bought it from a discounter, so in theory it could be nearly 20 years old! Another possible explanation is skin chemistry, which might also help to explain why some people dislike while others love this composition. It could be that VAN CLEEF is one of those fickle perfumes which does not express itself consistently from one wearer to the next and one time to the next.

In any case, when this perfume dries down on my skin, it is a consistently beautiful and very sophisticated floriental. It has an old-school feeling but lacks some of the stereotypical notes which tend to elicit cries of "old lady perfume!" from younger wearers. Although galbanum is present, it is not very sharp or marked to my nose. I actually love galbanum, but it tends to impart to perfumes a "pour une femme d'un certain âge" kind of feeling.

I like VAN CLEEF a lot and am happy to have made this purchase. The bottle in which this rich-smelling perfume is housed is also elegant and unique.
9.0/10

Awesomeness
A green floriental perfect for Fall
I have difficulty wearing most green florals. Not so with VC. I think I just might have found my perfect green floral, which isn't classified as a green floral at all! :D

Van Cleef is a beautiful, warm blend that's just perfect for Fall days. It has a bit of a green thing going on at top, driven by the galbanum & dry/spicy marigold, which was exactly what I was looking for. As it dries, VC feels like a vanilla- & tonka- based floriental without the spice. VC has a green, balmy & oily character without being over-done. Longevity is amazing - in the 12-hour range, and the scent is persistent and comparatively even top to bottom. Well-done!

Van Cleef seems much older than its mid-1990s creation date, yet does not feel dated to me, if that makes sense. This is a fragrance for those who like & appreciate old-school perfumery but don't want to smell like it. That said, it's not a fragrance for everyone - those whose tastes lean to the modern probably won't like or appreciate Van Cleef.

I purchased VC blind based on 2 reviews at BN from established reviewers who could be trusted. I agree with others that VC is a bit reminiscent of Safari, which I admire but cannot wear (something irritating about it). It also reminds me of Guepard, but VC's florals are not as sharp & spicy as Guepard's and VC is much better quality. However, VC is very different than either of those 2 fragrances due to the combination of Galbanum & Tonka bean, which is truly wonderful to me.

As a side note, the price of this fragrance from online discounters has recently risen. I was lucky enough to get a couple bottles at an excellent price. However, at its current price, I'd recommend sampling over blind buying.

24th August, 2011.

Van Cleef am Baltikum. Badet...
by 008Pauline