Van Gils pour Homme (1988)Eau de Toilette

Van Gils pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Van Gils
Bottle Design Alain de Morgues

Van Gils pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Van Gils for men and was released in 1988. The scent is woody-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It was last marketed by Royal Sanders.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Verbena
Heart Notes Heart NotesCardamom, Coriander, Rosemary, Thyme
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk

Submitted by Chemist, last update on 30.03.2020.

5.0 10.0 10.0 4.0/10

Asphaltblume
Herbal bullies tyrannising the neighbourhood
My brother got this fragrance as a gift when he was a young adult and he didn't like it at all. I found the full bottle of it in our parents' attic that bears witness to this. I sprayed some of it on the back of my hand immediately and I understand him.

In the top note Van Gils pour Homme is dieseling heavily and not nearly as citric as bergamot and verbena suggest (I take verbena to mean lemon verbena, not common vervain which is rather bitter but smells inconspicuously vegetable), but massive, tarry: I suspect thyme, the essential oil is pretty stinky. The beginning is not freh at all. But this is an 1980s perfume after all.

After a few minutes it all calms down a bit and becomes spicier and milder. That doesn't mean it becomes pleasant. Not yet, anyway: I know my parents chose this fragrance for my brother (you could buy it duty-free on the Scandinavian ferries) and they prefer discreet and classical fragrances. I'd better wait a bit...

Slowly slowly there's coriander and cardamom paddling towards the surface in the middle note, but thyme, supported by rosemary keeps them down successfully. Every now and again a whiff of musk and even a hint of amber find their way to my nose, but thyme and rosemary claerly are the dominant flavours here.
And now, what's that? I scent sweat, or it could be cumin, but that's not listed.

It takes a long time for Van Gils pour Homme to become more rounded, but even then I don't find it beautiful, just bearable. It is not fragrant, it smells. Fierce, acerb, tarry, medicinal. Only shortly before it vanishes and after washing my hands (normally, not to ex the frag) I smell a slightly woody-spicy herbality I actually quite like. Nothing stunning, but quite pleasant.

I do understand my brother never wearing this fragrance, but I cannot even guess what made our parents choose it.

Hitchslap 3 years ago
This is definitely for the more mature crowd, really nice classic scent. Thirty years old and above maybe, rather rare here in the USA+1

by Pistazieneis
by Dembreigh
by PhilosHippos
by PhilosHippos

Popular Van Gils

Strictly for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Van Gils Live (Eau de Toilette) by Van Gils VG V by Van Gils His Aura by Van Gils Tendenza (Eau de Toilette) by Van Gils Puur (Eau de Toilette) by Van Gils Basic Instinct (Eau de Toilette) by Van Gils Frosted (Eau de Toilette) by Van Gils Between Sheets (Eau de Toilette) by Van Gils Tendenza for Her by Van Gils