Vera Wang for Men (2004) Eau de Toilette

Vera Wang for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Vera Wang

Vera Wang for Men (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Vera Wang for men and was released in 2004. The scent is spicy-sweet. It is being marketed by Coty.

Top Notes Top NotesMandarin leaf, Yuzu
Heart Notes Heart NotesAniseed, Leather, Nutmeg
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood, Tobacco

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 08.11.2019.

8.0 4.0 4.0 8.0/10

The flash scent
I tested again this fragrance today.
The overall feeling about the scent remains unchanged. It's citrus fresh in the opening (a load of yuzu), with a fresh, sweet and green spicy development, and the suposed "strong" notes of leather, sandalwood and tobacco. What's not to like? Other remarkable scents followed the same path, namely the more complex Tom Ford for Men and the alluring The One by D&G.
Unfortunately, Vera Wang demonstrates pretending to deliver a perfume with high ambitions but unfortunately with poor performance on the performance side. A couple of hours after spraying you are already experiencing a final faint woody drydown. The inconvenience of respraying is a must if you want to stick with this perfume.
This fragrance lost a possible trendsetter fragrance ambition to become just a nice to wear only for easy short lived situations. An intense version never happened and so far this EDT remains the sole incursion of Vera Wang into the male fragrances territory.
8.0 6.0 6.0 7.0/10

Business as usual
After Vera Wang for Men had been living a shadowy existence in my closet for months, he was allowed to make this comment today. I can't say exactly why he stood in the closet for so long. Possibly because the scent is a little arbitrary and meaningless. Don't get me wrong - it's not badly handcrafted and also the individual fragrance components smell valuable. But in turn, first the test.
After spraying, Vera Wang for Men opens with a beautiful yuzu citrus note supported by an interesting scent of green mandarin. Just a few minutes later, a delicate aniseed note paired with a moderately strong leather note and a delicious nutmeg spice prevails. In this phase, the fragrance is delicate, almost fragile, before it turns into a typical chypre base of sandalwood, some oakmoss, a light touch of musk and a strong dash of tobacco. Until it is completely dry, you will only notice a mild smoky wood aroma.
The durability and projection are average for me. After about 5 hours I had nothing left of the scent, even close up.
If you are looking for a very subtle, elegant fragrance, Vera Wang for Men is for you. However, do not expect a peak fragrance with a unique selling point. It's not good and not bad - it's OK, as they say.
Vera Wang for Men is suitable for work, or wherever a perfume should only play a subtle, subordinate role.
7.0 4.0 4.0 9.0/10

Elysium
Would You Marry Me, Baby?
Right off the bat, if you smell it from the sprayer, it has that neat, soapy, comforting bouquet typical of the citrus leaves such as petitgrain, lemon, orange, and other citrus tree leaves. It is a woody, green, citrus, fresh spicy
and pretty simple fragrance, not overpowering but agreeable.

As for the fragrance itself, the prominent yuzu opening is a burst of freshness and very pleasing. Once the sharpness of the zesty yuzu fades, it smells a little like a scented eraser, mixed with an array of enticing spicy and green notes. There's a very delicious green note that surfaces from time to time that's sublime, I think it could be the unusual mandarin leaf greenness, I'm not sure. As I jotted down in the statement, it reminds me of the greenish of CK Truth, without the aquatic accord.

The more the time goes by the more the spicy nutmeg and delicate anise are clearly detectable, supported by a faint and moderate strength leather note, a kind of like sweet suede. In the heart, I detect a sort of sweetness, which is pleasant and not cloying.

The dry down is woody with a nice smoky touch, it releases creamy and exotic sandalwood and luscious tobacco, not overtly power, just right and creates a sultry, luscious foundation that men will want to wear every day or night, at least myself. I'm getting mostly the sandalwood and tobacco by the end, and the overall composition reminds me of a lighter, sweeter, tobacco-infused modern take on Arden for Men Sandalwood.

My personal opinion is a great warm and refined fragrance for a going out to dinner, date, or any type of evening out, this is one of my favorites for when it starts getting chilly outside, it is a fall scent that works fine on cool spring evenings, either. Anyway, with that leathery middle and woody smoky in the base make it feel more Autumn and less Spring. Not a monster of projection, on my skin it has a longevity average of 6 hours and a projection of 3 hours, its sillage is moderate, but more than a skin scent. Then it turns into a comfortable and confidential skin scent.

-Elysium
7.0 5.0 5.0 7.5/10

Carlitos01
From 3 sprays to vanishing skin scent in less than 4 hours - must be a record!
On a 0 to 10 scale this fragrance deserves a 9 for the scent (a thinner THE ONE or a brighter Tom Ford for Men) and a 2 for the performance (4 hours longevity and 2 feet sillage and faint projection).
You have to spray on clothes for average longevity.
I don't detect any sweet vibe.
If you want a touch of sweetness, layer it with a previous spray of Demeter Vanille or Body Shop Vanille. You end up with a sweeter "The One" and you increase the performance of Vera Wang for Men by 50%.

With a decent performance (example: 8 hours+ longevity and 5~6 feet sillage) this fragrance would deserve a 8.5/10.0 or more.
With the current performance I can strech its rating to a generous 7.0/10.0.

Vera Wang for Men
After reading reviews for this scent, I had mixed feelings about what to expect from it. Today I finally tried it for the first time. I half expected it to smell generic and boring and that I would be disappointed. I can now report that it's better than that. I had an appointment this afternoon with my massage therapist and as he was working on me I kept catching whiffs of something in the air that smelled nice and I wondered if it was the fragrance I was wearing. Turns out, it was. When I first sprayed this scent on, I thought - hmmm....it reminds me of something I've smelled before, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Truth be told, I wasn't too impressed. However, once the fragrance settles into itself and the heart notes come out, it gets more unique and pleasant. The one thing that made me nervous was the tobacco note in the base. Generally, I am not a fan of tobacco in fragrances. Something about the note reminds me of cigarettes, which I despise. The smell literally makes me nauseated. A perfect example would be Versace's The Dreamer. I don't like it or anything else that smells remotely close to it. Dirty ashtrays come to mind. I cannot detect the tobacco note in Vera Wang for Men and I'm happy about that. To me, this fragrance is warm, making it perfect for Fall and Winter. It's a little strong when it first goes on but becomes smoother after about a half hour or so. It's soft spices pair nicely with the acidity of the yuzu. I am glad the yuzu is in there, it adds a dimension of freshness that is needed. I believe Vera Wang was successful in how she marketed this scent. It is, in a word, "classy." Perfect for a man on his wedding day. I don't love it but I do really like it. The sillage is good but the longevity could be better. Still, it has its place in my collection and serves its purpose well.

AmberScent 56 days ago
This fragrance lost a possible trendsetter fragrance ambition to become just a nice scent to wear and only for short lived situations.+2
Carlitos01 13 months ago
With better performance this EDT would be stunning. The scent is really close to Tom Ford for Man.
Sniff it once, sniff it twice ....gone!!!+5
5.0
5.0
Elysium 3 years ago
Maybe I'm crazy, but as soon as the spirit top notes have gone, I start smelling the heart notes that remind me the beloved CK Truth o' mine+1
9.0

by Bandito
by Michael
by Michael

Popular Vera Wang

Princess (Eau de Toilette) by Vera Wang Vera Wang for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Vera Wang Vera Wang by Vera Wang Look by Vera Wang Lovestruck by Vera Wang Embrace - Periwinkle and Iris (Eau de Toilette) by Vera Wang Princess Night by Vera Wang Rock Princess by Vera Wang Bouquet by Vera Wang Be Jeweled by Vera Wang Embrace - Green Tea and Pear Blossom (Eau de Toilette) by Vera Wang Forever Vera by Vera Wang Truly Pink by Vera Wang Lovestruck Floral Rush by Vera Wang Embrace - Rose Buds and Vanilla (Eau de Toilette) by Vera Wang Flower Princess by Vera Wang Sheer Veil by Vera Wang Princess of Hearts by Vera Wang Be Jeweled Rouge by Vera Wang Pink Princess by Vera Wang