Blue Jeans (1994)

Blue Jeans by Versace
Bottle Design: Gianni Versace

Blue Jeans is a perfume by Versace for men and was released in 1994. The scent is citrusy-sweet. It is being marketed by EuroItalia.

Top Notes Top NotesAniseed, Basil, Bergamot, Rosewood, Juniper, Citruses
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Geranium, Heliotrope, Jasmine, Lavender, Lily-of-the-valley, Rose, Sage, Fir
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Iris, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 16.08.2019

8.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

ScentSlave
Another classic that carries you away
Scent CAN indeed carry you backwards in time; almost as well as music can... intertwine the two, and the nostalgia will be ever so vivid and intoxicating.

I am lucky enough to have stumbled onto this classic, and immediately made the purchase. Once I pulled it out of the classic can and got a whiff, the radio played “give it away” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and I was time warped back into the late 90s, when I was enjoying youth to the fullest extent; surfing all day and partying all night. The clarity of the memories was incredible; I swear I could feel the sand in my toes as the aroma carried me away....

While it might not be quite as good as some of my other favorites, THIS is WHY one should appreciate the “mainstream scents” that dominate their generations; love em or hate them, they will carry you back to the seconds that have gone and passed forever. The same as that cliche song you THINK you hate (hey Macarena, anyone?), when the decades have passed and you hear it go... the faces you remember will bring you a smile. Remember this when you catch a whiff of Le Male or Sauvage today; whether you love wearing it or are shaking your head that ANOTHER guy is rocking the cliche... in a few years you will WISH you can find it; and it will carry you back in time when you catch a whiff
10.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

StefMan
Super tasty, sweet and loved.
This perfume is multi-layered and sweet. It looks strong and yet soft. This fragrance is an important part of my three fragrance layouts.
It harmonizes very well with other perfumes that go in the direction of Citrus and Oriental.

I love that scent.
9.0 7.0 8.0 7.5/10

Farneon
Flowery Sprite from the hip forest tavern
What at first sounds strange and perhaps not so well-meaning, smells absolutely good in my nose. Because: If sweet, I prefer it to be fruity and do not want to feel like in an oriental brothel. The lemonade may seem synthetic to most people, but I have no reservations about it. It's nothing bad either, in contrast to the four, five expensive men's fragrances that actually made me immediately think of toilet stones in men's urinals. And amen, I tell you: You can't beat that! ;-)

I don't like too many flowers either, but the flower bouquet is very finely woven in here and stands out above the tone-inducing "lemonade". Also a little coniferous wood comes through for me, which is probably due to the fir, as if one had tipped a small shot of spruce needle bath into the sprite. Anyway: Doesn't bother me at all!

In this respect, I can say that "Blue Jeans" is a very original fragrance that I haven't seen before. My first nose belly feeling is good, and that's almost always the most important thing. Of course Versace may not represent the upscale star cuisine of perfumery, but how many times a year do I visit restaurants of this kind? One also pays attention to the name of the fragrance, which consciously addresses the crowd and not the elite - and thus hits the bull's-eye or blue. Although: if I would assign a color to the fragrance, it would probably be a quiet yellow! ;-)

The blue retro bottle, deliberately kept a bit kitschy, is a decoration in my eyes and comes with a chic, nostalgic metal box. And then, of course, there is the price: 15,- Euro for practical 75 ml (I hate these constant 100 ml sizes) are practically unbeatable for the presented.
6.0 6.0 6.0 8.0/10

The lightheartedness of the 90s in the can
There are scents you throw yourself at to rip them up in the air, take them apart and then trample on them again. And that can give a real thieving pleasure.
Whether it's because the fragrance just doesn't want to please, you generally can't get along with the brand or the perfumer just makes a mess or for several other more or less understandable reasons.

But there are also scents where you can't bring über´s heart to pick it apart because it is connected with special memories, with special moments you don't forget, and because it has accompanied a certain time durch´s life or maybe still does.
One of these fragrances is Blue Jeans from Versace for me, I don't want to be blamed.
Oh certainly it is not a great and outstanding and complex creation under the huge scent sky and may seem insignificant or even intrusive to many.
But for me, blue jeans is so connected to the 90s, one of the most exciting decades ever. So much happened in the 90s, historically, politically, personally.

The increasingly progressive erosion of the maps, the reunification of Germany, the disintegration of the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia, all this was to become even more complicated, but that was quite far away for a young person. One was still carefree and since one was not as globalized and networked as today, it did not reach one so much and one gave little thought to it. There was also no spelling reform yet.
I came of age in 1990, started my education, which I finished in 1993 as the best of my year, in 1997 I got my master's certificate, in 1994 I moved into my first own flat. This is the start of one's own life, standing on one's own feet, no longer under the control of parents.
Musically, too, a lot has changed in the 90s, Eurodance, Grunge, Schlager experienced a great comeback and and and and... I don't want to get too far with that.

Blue Jeans, for me pure 90s, appears loud and cheerful, naughty and carefree. Cheerful citrus fruits waft around the nose, garnished with spices, herbs, many floral and woody aspects but all somewhat disordered and confused. It is quite difficult to smell out individual notes. The unordered remains actually also over the entire process, only at the end it becomes somewhat calmer and more orderly, there come the base notes and provide some composure, a little like the parents, who provide on the somewhat too loud party for order.
I read cacophony once, that may be true, but it doesn't bother me here, on the contrary. The decade was also so fast-moving, one impression followed the other. And even before you could concentrate on it, it was already over and new impressions spread.

I liked all this then and I think I remember that the fragrance wasn't as cheap back then as it is today. Today he is literally thrown behind, which makes me personally a little sad. This selling does not do justice to many smells and the reputation suffers very much.
But everything changes. The 90s are already a while back, the first grey strands show upside down, Blue Jeans is a while back, but has been with me again for some time, reworked, less durable, but still recognizable and unmistakably 90s and still carefree and a bit cheeky.

This sometimes makes me think of a beautiful and carefree time, a time that will not come back. And I am glad that I was able to enjoy and experience this time to the fullest. And if I feel like the "good old days", then I treat myself to blue jeans!

7.5 7.0 8.0 5.0/10

Taurus1967
Blue miracle - thick as a stick!
Blue Jeans by Versace is the only fragrance where I am absolutely unsure whether I ever called it my own or not.
On the other hand, I know 100% that his cooler counterpart Black Jeans definitely went into my collection when it came out. Too tempting was this sweet-secret chewing gum aura that couldn't entice me today.

Apart from that, I had a different memory of the blue jeans at the time. Somehow a little fresher and with a little more esprit.
As I recently noticed with horror, it seems that it has been properly reformulated.

To cut a long story short: Blue jeans is just a sticky sweet brew with a misunderstanding of citric approaches and floral dazzle. Fine details were scrubbed away and replaced by not exactly appealing synthetic ruthlessness. I also don't know when to use it, because it's much too pompous for a citrus scent. The season would still have to be invented to match it.

What looks like interesting complexity according to the pyramid is unfortunately only a liquid lump of obtrusiveness. Accordingly, I am not surprised that blue jeans can only be found in the lower shelf rows - where they actually belong and can be better found by the growing target group. One can consider good at least that it is not overpriced offered, although 20 € for 100 ml might still yield an immense profit margin for the quite inferior content.

Too bad about a once appealing scent, which was worth at least a thought for me.
7.0 8.0 8.0 7.0/10

Cheap and cheerful
This reminds me of Dolce & Gabanna The One. I think I'm on my own with that comparison!! This does not smell as good as Dolce & Gabanna The One but performs way better.

7.0 6.0 7.0 7.0/10

Smora
Forgotten Giant (Jean-Pierre Bethouart, 1994)
Scentrack
Pet Shop Boys – Being Boring

I was a kid back then, but I clearly remember how Blue Jeans was huge at one point during the 90’s in my country. My older cousin literally was drowning himself with this Versace’s commercial success during these colorful and vivid years. Very soon Gaultier’s Le Male was the new kid in the town, and already by the end of the century Blue Jeans was somehow forgotten. That’s a pity, because Blue Jeans was, and still is a very interesting piece of perfumery. Like a missing link in perfumery evolution. The transitional form between classic men's perfumery of the 80’s and novel sweet masculinity of Kurkdjian’s Le Male and its successors.
The perfumer behind Blue Jeans was Jean-Pierre Bethouart. Master Bethouart will later precisely define his vision of Oriental masculinity with a slightly powdery twist with Versace Dreamer (1996) and Burberry Touch for Men (2000). Personally, I am a big fan of Bethouart’s vision of new age masculinity, and I consider him as a founder of 21st century men's perfumery. To my knowledge, Blue Jeans was a detonator of a new explosion.

Rating: 7/10

More on Scentimentalwords
6.0 6.0 7.0 7.5/10

GabrielCupim
One of the best you can afford for it's price
This could easily turn into my new signature scent.
Both simple and wonderful, good for every day, with a very nice scent.

Fair price, with medium-good longevity.
This one projects longer than usual on my skin, though the sillage itself stays on a moderate radius.

Great product!!

Teen Oriental soap!
Easily the nicest among the “jeans” collection by Versace, partially because this is quite a nice fragrance, partially because the others are crap anyway. Blue Jeans is shortly a sort of more juvenile, cheaper, but also somehow “fresher” and livelier version of several powdery-floral Oriental scents which came in fashion in the mid-to-late Nineties – starting with Boucheron’s Jaipur Homme, ending with futuristic musky-laundry German stuff like Lang’s eaux de cologne. Blue Jeans is their high school version, their teen nephew, which is both a positive and negative feature – as I said it is a fresher, “younger”, but also way cheaper, almost a bit tacky. However Blue Jeans smells of that – powder, musk, lavender, some odd wet grass, sweet dusty flowers, which are given a “masculine” shape thanks to patchouli, sandalwood and herbs. The opening is a bit flashy, once it finds its “tune” Blue Jeans is actually quite nice to wear, showing some unexpected maturity on the very drydown, which is a really well-played bright harmony of patchouli, sandalwood and discreet powder still with a musky-soapy cleanliness, almost reflecting distant echoes of Guerlain’s Héritage too (really, really distant though). It’s clean, smooth, fun, I wouldn’t define it elegant or “virile” but it’s light-hearted, crisp, sweet and cozy. In one word, pleasant to wear, and that’s what fragrances are made for. Sadly I’ve tested the “Versus” reformulation, and I’ve heard it was better in the past. Nice anyway.

7/10

EDIT: the former "Versace" version is completely different. Way more mature, rich and deep, closer to some of the nicest early Nineties floral-Oriental scents, and without the "teenish" soapy vibe of the subsequent Versus version (just to be clear, I am referring to the name you read on the bottle just above "Blue Jeans" - if there's "Versace" then it's the good one, if there's "Versus" it's reformulated and not as good as the previous).
10.0 7.5 5.0 9.0/10

Ysbrand
Why i think Blue Jeans is such a great fragance.
I am kind of surprised and dissapointed for the low rates of this fragance. I think it has been frankly overlooked!

Blue Jeans is so 90s. Wait and see, when the 90s will become the new 80s, this is going to be big again. And i am not only speaking as a psychic, i already see a lot of not-so-kids-anymore wearing pokemon t-shirts as fashion musts and they will dictate the trends. If some "marketing genius" doesnt change the super cool design of the bottle and the tin-box that keeps the essence of the Versace look, Blue Jeans, that has been patiently waiting in the permanent discount shelves worldwide, covered in dust, will make its come back.

It also smells like the 90s. Because Blue Jeans is so sexy. It is fun and sexy in a grown-up way. Like before male models started to look like starved teenagers and have weird faces and homeless beards. When you needed to be beautiful in order to be beautiful. And fierce, and over-confident. Thats all that Blue Jeans is. Blue Jeans has this fougere-ish vibe, but is way more sensual than a barbershop fragance. It opens with a fresh, green, aniseed cloud plus all this aromatic and citrus notes. But this party is crowded. The flowers want to stand out, and i catch all of them! spicy carnation, rose, touch of indolic jasmine, powdery muget and iris... all beautifully blended in butcher notes as geranium, juniper and lavender. Tonka, vanilla and a not-listed tobbacco serve as the warm counterparts, the sweet, sinous smoke that hold all together. Heaven!

The first 2 hours of Blue Jeans are awesome. Then it looses strength, and gets much closer to the skin, therefore, the price. The drydown is still sexy and sweet and smells good, but a bit flat. But, hello? for 20 € i can spray every 2 hours!
7.5 7.5 7.5 5.0/10

I was a Blue Teen
Definetely a must buy because: very cheap, smells good, lasting power is great (around 8 hours), projection is big and sillage too.

Yes it smells a bit synthetic, but who cares?

I've been using since 1998 and i still enjoy it.

Updated January 2014
7.5 5.0 5.0 7.0/10

Helpful Review
AN ADDICTNING PERFUEM
Well this perfume smells really good. This is an addicting smell. Girls always give compliment when ever i wear this. Okie lets see the Projection , Yes its not bad, But u got to have 4 to 5 heavy spray, Then it stays for 3 to 4 hrs on ur cloths. Longevity pretty okie. But it could be more Projected. Hmmm....

Itchynose 9 months ago
A versatile scent from the 90s that to my nose smells of a creamy, slightly citrusy and aromatic vanilla milkshake. A modern classic.+2

by Einfachich
by Lars92
by Helge
by Helge

Popular Versace

Eros (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Versace pour Homme Dylan Blue (Eau de Toilette) by Versace The Dreamer (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Versace pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Versace Man Eau Fraîche (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Versense by Versace Blue Jeans by Versace Crystal Noir (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Versace L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Versace pour Homme Oud Noir by Versace Bright Crystal by Versace Eros Flame by Versace Yellow Diamond by Versace Red Jeans by Versace Eros pour Femme (Eau de Parfum) by Versace Versace Man (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Blonde (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Versace Woman by Versace Versus Uomo (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Versace pour Femme Oud Oriental by Versace