Blue Jeans (1994)

Blue Jeans by Versace
Bottle Design Gianni Versace

Blue Jeans is a perfume by Versace for men and was released in 1994. The scent is citrusy-fresh. It is being marketed by EuroItalia.

Top Notes Top NotesAniseed, Basil, Bergamot, Rosewood, Juniper, Citrus fruits
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Geranium, Heliotrope, Jasmine, Lavender, Lily-of-the-valley, Rose, Sage, Fir
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Iris, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 04.07.2020.

Casual Versace
This was my first official encounter with Versace. I think 90's was an era of appreciation of freshness, led by CK One and Acqua Di Gio. Versace's take was to combine it with sweetness and it was a hit! For me, in high school at the time. The name, the delicate but not over the top bottle, and the cheerful top notes with base notes of vanilla and musk. It was designed to be casual and go with your blue jeans, it was perfect for a teenager. Unfortunately, I came across another Versace soon, the Dreamer. Once the Dreamer came out with more mature presentation of Tobaco smell and airiness that fit the name of Dreamer perfectly, my interest in BlueJeans never recovered. I still own a bottle of Dreamer to this date (reformulated) and Bluejeans will always remain in my memory as my Dreamer's shadow.

DPArtist
The perfect designer fragrance?
A non-nostalgic review. OK so Versace/Versus Blue Jeans has been around for a long time, since the mid 90s in fact, a time which for me personally was a time of coming of age, the end of childhood, my youth! Well, for whatever reason I never owned this fragrance until a few months ago and indeed only sniffed it (knowingly) for the first time in early 2019. Admittedly upon the opening I wasn't sure if I liked it, I couldn't focus on what I was smelling, I was getting this huge sweet floral aroma which seemed extremely unique but paradoxically familiar.

This first sniff had been in a duty free shop while waiting to board a train from Paris to London, I had sprayed my wrist, then soon began the rush to board the train. Once settled in my seat I was thinking at how fantastic the train smells when I realised the strong aroma was emanating from my wrist! It was seemingly filling the entire carriage with an alluring and comforting scent, sweet, cosy and reassuring but with a little freshness mixed in too for good measure. The huge note-listing shows how this inexpensive little fragrance is actually a rather complex composition, a symphony of citrus, florals, spices, conifer trees and sweeter accords. If anything stands out to me personally it's the lavender & geranium, as I'm such a big fan of these notes, but really, I think the unique and extensive combination of notes (heliotrope, fir, rose, jasmine, patchouli, basil, vanilla, juniper etc) is what probably makes this scent so special. I agree that the scent sometimes comes off like a fruity-floral cola drink (reflecting the unique bottle!).

I'd have to disagree with the classification of Blue jeans as a 'citrus-fresh' scent though, it's more than that. I'd have to echo SirSmellALot's thoughts, Blue Jeans isn't a million miles away from extremely popular modern scents such as D&G The One and all the smell-alikes that came after it. They share those same alluring, cosy, comforting and sweet qualities, they both smell superb, the big difference is that, for me at least, Blue Jeans really performs!

This is a masterful creation by Monsieur Béthouart, a truly timeless fragrance which is arguably (putting subjectivity aside for a moment) one of the best bargains currently available in the fragrance world, making me baulk at the prices of other offerings! It really is something special indeed!

A must try for any fragrance enthusiast. Wish I'd tried it sooner, I shall definitely be getting a back-up bottle as I'm well and truly hooked on this one!

ScentSlave
Another classic that carries you away
Scent CAN indeed carry you backwards in time; almost as well as music can... intertwine the two, and the nostalgia will be ever so vivid and intoxicating.

I am lucky enough to have stumbled onto this classic, and immediately made the purchase. Once I pulled it out of the classic can and got a whiff, the radio played “give it away” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and I was time warped back into the late 90s, when I was enjoying youth to the fullest extent; surfing all day and partying all night. The clarity of the memories was incredible; I swear I could feel the sand in my toes as the aroma carried me away....

While it might not be quite as good as some of my other favorites, THIS is WHY one should appreciate the “mainstream scents” that dominate their generations; love em or hate them, they will carry you back to the seconds that have gone and passed forever. The same as that cliche song you THINK you hate (hey Macarena, anyone?), when the decades have passed and you hear it go... the faces you remember will bring you a smile. Remember this when you catch a whiff of Le Male or Sauvage today; whether you love wearing it or are shaking your head that ANOTHER guy is rocking the cliche... in a few years you will WISH you can find it; and it will carry you back in time when you catch a whiff
StefMan
Super tasty, sweet and loved.
This perfume is multi-layered and sweet. It looks strong and yet soft. This fragrance is an important part of my three fragrance layouts.
It harmonizes very well with other perfumes that go in the direction of Citrus and Oriental.

I love that scent.
Farneon
Flowery Sprite from the hip forest tavern
What at first sounds strange and perhaps not so well-meaning, smells absolutely good in my nose. Because: If sweet, I prefer it to be fruity and do not want to feel like in an oriental brothel. The lemonade may seem synthetic to most people, but I have no reservations about it. It's nothing bad either, in contrast to the four, five expensive men's fragrances that actually made me immediately think of toilet stones in men's urinals. And amen, I tell you: You can't beat that! ;-)

I don't like too many flowers either, but the flower bouquet is very finely woven in here and stands out above the tone-inducing "lemonade". Also a little coniferous wood comes through for me, which is probably due to the fir, as if one had tipped a small shot of spruce needle bath into the sprite. Anyway: Doesn't bother me at all!

In this respect, I can say that "Blue Jeans" is a very original fragrance that I haven't seen before. My first nose belly feeling is good, and that's almost always the most important thing. Of course Versace may not represent the upscale star cuisine of perfumery, but how many times a year do I visit restaurants of this kind? One also pays attention to the name of the fragrance, which consciously addresses the crowd and not the elite - and thus hits the bull's-eye or blue. Although: if I would assign a color to the fragrance, it would probably be a quiet yellow! ;-)

The blue retro bottle, deliberately kept a bit kitschy, is a decoration in my eyes and comes with a chic, nostalgic metal box. And then, of course, there is the price: 15,- Euro for practical 75 ml (I hate these constant 100 ml sizes) are practically unbeatable for the presented.
The lightheartedness of the 90s in the can
There are scents you throw yourself at to rip them up in the air, take them apart and then trample on them again. And that can give a real thieving pleasure.
Whether it's because the fragrance just doesn't want to please, you generally can't get along with the brand or the perfumer just makes a mess or for several other more or less understandable reasons.

But there are also scents where you can't bring über´s heart to pick it apart because it is connected with special memories, with special moments you don't forget, and because it has accompanied a certain time durch´s life or maybe still does.
One of these fragrances is Blue Jeans from Versace for me, I don't want to be blamed.
Oh certainly it is not a great and outstanding and complex creation under the huge scent sky and may seem insignificant or even intrusive to many.
But for me, blue jeans is so connected to the 90s, one of the most exciting decades ever. So much happened in the 90s, historically, politically, personally.

The increasingly progressive erosion of the maps, the reunification of Germany, the disintegration of the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia, all this was to become even more complicated, but that was quite far away for a young person. One was still carefree and since one was not as globalized and networked as today, it did not reach one so much and one gave little thought to it. There was also no spelling reform yet.
I came of age in 1990, started my education, which I finished in 1993 as the best of my year, in 1997 I got my master's certificate, in 1994 I moved into my first own flat. This is the start of one's own life, standing on one's own feet, no longer under the control of parents.
Musically, too, a lot has changed in the 90s, Eurodance, Grunge, Schlager experienced a great comeback and and and and... I don't want to get too far with that.

Blue Jeans, for me pure 90s, appears loud and cheerful, naughty and carefree. Cheerful citrus fruits waft around the nose, garnished with spices, herbs, many floral and woody aspects but all somewhat disordered and confused. It is quite difficult to smell out individual notes. The unordered remains actually also over the entire process, only at the end it becomes somewhat calmer and more orderly, there come the base notes and provide some composure, a little like the parents, who provide on the somewhat too loud party for order.
I read cacophony once, that may be true, but it doesn't bother me here, on the contrary. The decade was also so fast-moving, one impression followed the other. And even before you could concentrate on it, it was already over and new impressions spread.

I liked all this then and I think I remember that the fragrance wasn't as cheap back then as it is today. Today he is literally thrown behind, which makes me personally a little sad. This selling does not do justice to many smells and the reputation suffers very much.
But everything changes. The 90s are already a while back, the first grey strands show upside down, Blue Jeans is a while back, but has been with me again for some time, reworked, less durable, but still recognizable and unmistakably 90s and still carefree and a bit cheeky.

This sometimes makes me think of a beautiful and carefree time, a time that will not come back. And I am glad that I was able to enjoy and experience this time to the fullest. And if I feel like the "good old days", then I treat myself to blue jeans!

Taurus1967
Blue miracle - thick as a stick!
Blue Jeans by Versace is the only fragrance where I am absolutely unsure whether I ever called it my own or not.
On the other hand, I know 100% that his cooler counterpart Black Jeans definitely went into my collection when it came out. Too tempting was this sweet-secret chewing gum aura that couldn't entice me today.

Apart from that, I had a different memory of the blue jeans at the time. Somehow a little fresher and with a little more esprit.
As I recently noticed with horror, it seems that it has been properly reformulated.

To cut a long story short: Blue jeans is just a sticky sweet brew with a misunderstanding of citric approaches and floral dazzle. Fine details were scrubbed away and replaced by not exactly appealing synthetic ruthlessness. I also don't know when to use it, because it's much too pompous for a citrus scent. The season would still have to be invented to match it.

What looks like interesting complexity according to the pyramid is unfortunately only a liquid lump of obtrusiveness. Accordingly, I am not surprised that blue jeans can only be found in the lower shelf rows - where they actually belong and can be better found by the growing target group. One can consider good at least that it is not overpriced offered, although 20 € for 100 ml might still yield an immense profit margin for the quite inferior content.

Too bad about a once appealing scent, which was worth at least a thought for me.

Cheap and cheerful
This reminds me of Dolce & Gabanna The One. I think I'm on my own with that comparison!! This does not smell as good as Dolce & Gabanna The One but performs way better.

Smora
Forgotten Giant (Jean-Pierre Bethouart, 1994)
Scentrack
Pet Shop Boys – Being Boring

I was a kid back then, but I clearly remember how Blue Jeans was huge at one point during the 90’s in my country. My older cousin literally was drowning himself with this Versace’s commercial success during these colorful and vivid years. Very soon Gaultier’s Le Male was the new kid in the town, and already by the end of the century Blue Jeans was somehow forgotten. That’s a pity, because Blue Jeans was, and still is a very interesting piece of perfumery. Like a missing link in perfumery evolution. The transitional form between classic men's perfumery of the 80’s and novel sweet masculinity of Kurkdjian’s Le Male and its successors.
The perfumer behind Blue Jeans was Jean-Pierre Bethouart. Master Bethouart will later precisely define his vision of Oriental masculinity with a slightly powdery twist with Versace Dreamer (1996) and Burberry Touch for Men (2000). Personally, I am a big fan of Bethouart’s vision of new age masculinity, and I consider him as a founder of 21st century men's perfumery. To my knowledge, Blue Jeans was a detonator of a new explosion.

Rating: 7/10

More on Scentimentalwords

GabrielCupim
One of the best you can afford for it's price
This could easily turn into my new signature scent.
Both simple and wonderful, good for every day, with a very nice scent.

Fair price, with medium-good longevity.
This one projects longer than usual on my skin, though the sillage itself stays on a moderate radius.

Great product!!

Dan81Dan81 57 days ago
90's appreciation of freshness combined with sweetness. Designed to be casual and go with your blue jeans
DPArtistDPArtist 139 days ago
This lovely stuff puts far more pricy current scents to shame!A fresh & sweet versatile little gem for which Versace could charge lot more!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 172 days ago
Citruses, florals, woods and a sweet touch... harmless, acceptable, good for beginners and young people. And that's about it!
RomadyRomady 8 months ago
Doing it's job since 1994 and never left my collection.
Great scent; spicy yet fresh.. sweet and bitter... I love it!
ItchynoseItchynose 17 months ago
A versatile scent from the 90s that to my nose smells of a creamy, slightly citrusy and aromatic vanilla milkshake. A modern classic.

by Einfachich
by Helge
by Romy1050
by Romy1050

Popular Versace

Versace pour Homme Dylan Blue (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Versace pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Versace The Dreamer (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Versace L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Versus Uomo (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Versense by Versace Versace pour Homme Oud Noir by Versace Gianni Versace (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Versace Man Eau Fraîche (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Eros (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Blonde (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Versace Man (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Versace pour Femme Oud Oriental by Versace Eros Flame by Versace Crystal Noir (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Versace Woman by Versace Crystal Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Versace V'E Versace (Eau de Parfum) by Versace Versace pour Femme Dylan Blue by Versace Vanitas (Eau de Parfum) by Versace