Versace Man Eau Fraîche (Eau de Toilette) by Versace

Versace Man Eau Fraîche 2006 Eau de Toilette

MrHonest
30.12.2018 - 02:44 AM

Rind me up.

It's been over 12 years since its release and I still don't know how people don't get the association with the original Versace Man. True, that fragrance is a very spicy saffron-tobacco amber (which I adore btw), but take out the tobacco, change the spices and add a sh** load of lemon rind and you've basically got Man Eau Fraiche. Bottom line is that to my nose, they're BOTH essentially the same sweet AMBER fragrance.

Everywhere you look, you get the same description and comparison - it's a citrus aquatic that smells like LIght Blue for women. FINE. But I wonder...how many of these people have ever smelled a true citrus OR aquatic scent? Are there any aldehydes or aquatic notes listed in the description? Nope. Another shocker - carambola, the note that Man Eau Fraiche is most known for, isn't even a citrus fruit. SURPRISE. Instead, compared with true citrus-dominant aquatics that often have 3 or 4 different citrus fruits combined with a smattering of greenery - Eau de Rochas Homme for example - MEF is a neutered sweet amber woods, with a distinct lack of character compared to the fresh beasties of yesteryear overflowing with tangy fruits, sour spices, heady florals and oakmoss.

To be fair though, I really do enjoy the stuff myself on occasion (despite its lackluster performance); but for goodness sake, let the base do the talking. For those screaming at how zesty and uplifting the fragrance is, just wait a good 45 minutes and have another sniff. The overall character changes considerably as the lemon rind takes a back seat and the sweet amber and woods take over. And that's basically how it stays for the duration - unnaturally SWEET - to the point of actually becoming cloying if oversprayed in the heat. And this is supposed to be the best fragrance for the high heat? Ugh.

Not to worry though. For what it is - an incredibly mass appealing amber fragrance - it does a great job of winning people over (probably due to the sweetness and musk). At least, until it disappears after 3-4 hours. So carry a decant and enjoy in moderation. But do remember that it IS a flanker - and by today's standards, a pretty decent one at that.

Latest Reviews

MrHonestMrHonest 4 months ago
Sport 9.0 - Zara

Sport 9.0 SMell mY FiNGer.
Prepare yourself...for the weirdness. Honestly, at first, I didn't know what to think. Saw a couple of Spanish reviews on the good 'ol YT and since it was running for half price, why not have a go? It can't be that bad right? Well.... Before...

MrHonestMrHonest 4 months ago
Jaïpur Homme (Eau de Parfum) - Boucheron

Jaïpur Homme (Eau de Parfum) The Golden Beauty
I can't deny that it took me a while to come around to this scent. Back when I was just starting out, I sniffed the edt along with Boucheron's Pour Homme (which immediately gave me Azzaro Pour Homme vibes) and wasn't convinced. It reminded me too much...