Versace Man (2003) Eau de Toilette

Versace Man (Eau de Toilette) by Versace
Bottle Design: Valentinitsch, Donatella Versace
Versace Man (Eau de Toilette) (Versace)
Versace Man (Eau de Toilette) (Versace)
Versace Man (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Versace for men and was released in 2003. The scent is spicy-oriental. It was last marketed by EuroItalia.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Angelica, Neroli, Black pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesCardamom, Saffron
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Cashmere wood, Labdanum, Tobacco leaf

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 23.09.2018

Bottle 7.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
The seductive obvious option
When I think of class, I may think of luxury, of money and then maybe of decadence. No ... this is not the way. I'll start over.
What if I think about class tied up to seduction and elegance? I can also extend to happiness. Yes ... I like this option more.

So class may make me think of dances, slow dances of an embraced couple, in a seductive environment, with intoxicating aromas, in sumptuous dance halls (music by Sinatra or Aznavour please), undeniably in a great class environment.
And I think whether or not will I fit in that picture. Will I have the requested class to fill in? What will cause the seductive environment? Is it the music? Or our sure dancing and compass movements? My perfume? What will be the aroma around us? ... Yes it makes sense that the fragrance exerts a strong influence on the perception of class and in a seduction environment. In fact I have always heard that a good perfume and class or class and a good perfume are inseparable.
Then what will my perfume be? Certainly it will be a rather masculine, somewhat citrusy and floral, with a semi sweet blend of spices, giving space to cardamom and aromatic resins, a bit woody, and evolving to a strong "noir" final base of dark amber and tobacco... With or without oud? I prefer to choose it later ... sometimes with oud and some other times without oud.
I think this perfume already exists and that I even received compliments while wearing it. I can only think of Versace Man.

It's a shame that Versace Man has been discontinued, but that makes it even more special to me. Well, having two full bottles do help as well. I want it to remain unique, and I say "unique" because I can not think of another designer fragrance with a similar scent. It's dark and rich, and it has a strong scent of moist tobacco leaves, just the way I picture a classy fragrance.
I suppose I may be the one wearing this perfume, confident and well-dressed, in a Mediterranean ballroom or club in Portofino, or Puerto Bañus, or Estoril. Or perhaps dancing at night on a ship cruise under the moonlight and going up the Nile... and always with the beautiful woman I love besides me.
Certainly class, maturity, and conviction, fit completely into this image. By the way, and if I chose the environment in a cruise boat up the Nile, I would add a touch of oud to the perfume, and I would be wearing Versace Oud Noir, a true flanker of the Versace Man.
Bottle 7.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 9.5/10
A sexy head turner
Versace Man is the best Vesace fragrance for me, on a pair with Versace Oud Noir.
The nose behind this perfume is a lady - Domitille Michalon - very competent although a little unknown.
Bare in mind that this fragrance was launched in 2003 pioneering a bit this type of scent. I consider it the softer brother of Versace's Oud Noir

My ratings:
Longevity - 8+ hours
Silage - 4~6 feet (enormous in the first 3 hours and with a strong projection, 1~2 feet till the 6th hour and skin scent for the remaining hours).
Weather - spring,autumn,winter (day and night)
Age - 30 ~ 100
Compliments - from everybody who likes a good intense woody/spicy masculin scent. A bit ladies magnet :-)
Scent - 9.0/10
Presentation - 7/10 - Nice quality sprayer and bottle but a bit tacky.
Price/Value for money - Price currently around 20~25 Euros for 100ml. Great value for money.

Main Notes According to me - It is a complex scent very well mastered that presents a moderate opening with pepper and flowers + strong closing with immense tobacco, amber and cashmere.
In between some very well defined notes of saffron and cardamom.
Emotions - dark, sexy, classy, elegant, a bit beasty, woody and spicy.
The combo that I get in the dry down it's a peculiar one composed of an amber base with a pile of pipe tobacco, a wonderful cashmere woodsy scent and a hint of labnanum. The combination is a real headturner.
This fragrance is devoted to center the feminine attention in elegant men between 30 and 60 years old, using a signature suit, white cambray shirt, silk tie and leather black derbies. George Cloney probably wore this perfume while shooting the Nespresso commercials.

GREAT FRAGRANCE !!!!
Spicy metrosexual tobacco
I am firmly convinced that if a niche brand came up with this very fragrance in the past season, probably many would be raving about it. “Smooth tobacco gem”, “luxury modern Oriental”, “classy underwear killer” and so on, they’d say. I would even dare to think Creed could easily make something like this and sell it for ten times the price, but I’m too young and handsome to burn in hell yet. Anyway I say all of this because Versace Man has them quite all: it’s elegantly sweet, it’s really easy to like, it smells quite above most of other Versace offerings quality-wise (it didn’t take much), and it’s mild and light enough to keep it classy. So either this fragrance is quite underrated, or perfumery has gone down to the point any average-quality designer from a dozen years ago smells like today’s finest. Most probably it’s the first for me. Either way, Versace Man is really nice – and only that matters. I think it anticipates many “smooth and sweet-smoky metrosexual” scents based on similar notes, and to some extent, also floral-musky sweet fragrances with a shade of dusty dark like Dior Homme (I am not saying they smell similar; just that it anticipates some of Dior’s key features and the overall concept). It bears quite some similarities with Versace Dreamer as well, but it smells decidedly more modern and with some significant differences, notably more warm, spicy-musky powderiness and a typical “sweet-plushy nondescript woodiness” which so many scents from the 2000s had.

If you’re wondering how it smells, well: saffron and tobacco are quite the main notes here, surrounded by a warm, a bit synthetic but cozy enough accord of amber, clean musk, mild peppery spices and a tad of citrus-infused light flowers. So basically a warm, smooth, aromatic and slightly “dusty” blend with a fresher-gentler feminine touch, but also a whole “classy, kind of dark masculine sense of confidence” due to amber, tobacco and spices. It also quite linear though, evolving towards a disgracefully short-lived ambery-woody-musk drydown still with nuances of saffron and spices, mostly cardamom. As for tobacco and saffron, which dominate the first couple of hour or so, I surely don’t get any difference with several more expensive or praised saffron or tobacco scents from today – from L’Artisan Parfumeur to Santa Maria Novella Tabacco.

Overall this fragrance is really decent to pretty much all extents, and I’d mildly recommend it; there’s nothing astonishingly outstanding and it surely smells a bit artificial, but has definitely some nice “deep moments”, it is surely classy and versatile, it’s decidedly discreet so it can perform fine in any situation, and it doesn’t smell (overly) cheap or derivative – on the contrary, as I said, I personally see it as a neglected precursor of more recent trends. The longevity is tragic though.

6,5-7/10
Not generic, but far from different.
This is the second time I am testing the much loved and acclaimed Versace Man. And again, I'm not impressed. It's less harsh and off-putting than it was the first time, but Im still not swayed. Perhaps it's because of my skin, which is somewhat dry and acidic. But this just doesn't work for me.

It's indeed heavy on saffron, especially throughout the heart. And while I normally don't mind saffron when combined with leather or oud, it doesn't work too well with the tobacco for me. It smells very synthetic, or artificial.

I feel like something is missing, to give this a more characteristic feel. It's not generic, but it's also far from something different than what I've smelled before. Maybe my expectations were too high, because of the raving reviews I've read before.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 5.0/10
Looking for a tobacco scent?
I've read it has been discontinued... what a shame if this is true.

Versace Man is a great oriental based on tobacco fragrance that's very unique if compared to latest designers releases.

It has nothing related to Eau Fraiche. This one is basically tobacco and spices.

Reminds me of a cross between Dolce & Gabanna Pour Homme and Dreamer.

Updated January 2014
Scent 6.0/10
Fashionable and sexy/raunchy
Versace Man comes in a very nice flaÇon, with a biscuit shape.

The opening is bright citrus, but not astringent with a fennel like note that i am guessing is the angelica flowers. I find already like i am wearing some type of flattering something. The spices rise soon, basically cardamom and in less ammount, pepper. Sadly i don´t get the saffron. In this mid stage i already start to notice a sweet tobacco and patchouli (not listed)... this combination of sweet spices and tobacco does the trick for me, and i am going to say it is sexy... doesnt smell clean or fresh, it can be a bit loud, but is attractive (as we can say about many men). I can see how this fragance could be original in 2003, or at least in the path of an uprising trend. Very metrosexual.

Versace Man is for a confident man who want to smell different to other men, genuine, but not TOO different (at least for our standards, my fellow perfumistas) But i like it an will wear it.

When the cardamom is tamed is more mainstream pleasant. The notes stated say it all: random fragant woods, but mostly a warm sweet amber and a more cigar type of tobacco. Definitely a cold weather fragance.

Carlitos01 6 months ago
Yummy tobacco manly scent. George Clooney probably wore this perfume while shooting the Nespresso commercials.+3
Bottle 7.0
Sillage 8.0
Longevity 8.0
Scent 9.5
MrHonest 11 months ago
Gorgeous spicy, floral amber that evokes opulence and high-end fashion. Totally unisex and with very good performance. One to appreciate.+3
Bottle 8.0
Sillage 8.0
Longevity 8.0
Scent 9.5
Hajuvana 11 months ago
In a bottle and box like this, one would have to work hard to make the grade.
Either I'm anosmic or this is muted, plasticky & boring.+2
Tacoboy1986 182 days ago
This one grew on me. I got wet wood/bark/dirt at first. Now it smells like a Swisher Sweet cigar, in a good way. Definitely a keeper.

• by Pepdal by Pepdal
  • by Pepdal by Pepdal
  • by Pharaoh by Pharaoh
  • by Toreter by Toreter

Popular Versace

Eros (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Versace pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Versace The Dreamer (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Versense by Versace Versace Man Eau Fraîche (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Versace pour Homme Dylan Blue (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Crystal Noir (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Blue Jeans by Versace Versace L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Versace pour Homme Oud Noir by Versace Bright Crystal by Versace Yellow Diamond by Versace Red Jeans by Versace Eros pour Femme (Eau de Parfum) by Versace Versus Uomo (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Blonde (Eau de Toilette) by Versace Versace pour Femme Oud Oriental by Versace Versace Woman by Versace Versace pour Femme by Versace Versus (2010) by Versace