Antidote (2006) Eau de Toilette

Antidote (Eau de Toilette) by Viktor & Rolf
Bottle Design: Fabien Baron

Antidote (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Viktor & Rolf for men and was released in 2006. The scent is spicy-sweet. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Grapefruit, Cardamom, Mandarin, Mint
Heart Notes Heart NotesFreesia, Geranium, Lavender, Nutmeg, Orange blossom, Violet, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Gaiac wood, Iris, Labdanum, Leather, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla, White musk, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 14.10.2019

9.0 8.0 8.0 8.5/10

Memories!
It was the beginning of 2007 when I met a beautiful woman in a club in Heidelberg.
She was very elegantly very well dressed..a woman with style!
And your perfume was stunning!
After a little bit of small talk, I asked you what a scent that was...that she was wearing.
She answers with a smile...Flowerbomb by Viktor and Rolf.
I never heard that before!
But the smell was like the woman was really a bomb < br /> I thought there must be something for men there... from V&R
And lo and behold...Antidot so to speak the antidote!
Unfortunately I am not the one who smells exactly when the coriander leaves the tonka bean, I think you know what I mean.
For me it must smell good...and also be durable, and above all portable.
And that was Antidotte, a beautiful fragrance that I liked right away.
Yes, that with the woman was after a few months history...the club does not exist also any more, exactly the same as
Antidotte!
But I still have a bottle of it, I'll keep it like the memory in honor
8.0 6.0 7.0 9.0/10

Best of both worlds
A very nice fragrance, which was completely under my radar until now, and of which I was lucky to get a cheap bottle. It is once again sad to see that even not so old fragrances are suddenly discontinued, although this one could also be from the early 90s, as I think. But the sales figures no longer coincide with the marketing goals, are no longer produced in a highly competitive industry and instead are thrown one flanker after the other of the supposedly best horse in the stable onto the market. The fact that real lovers don't get their money's worth is just as unimportant in the executive floors of the fashion and cosmetics companies as the fact that the offshoots often enough come along completely lovelessly and quickly.

But now to "Antidote". So far I only became aware of "Speicebomb" by Viktor & Rolf, a fragrance that might be good, but around which I have always balked because of the hand grenade bottle, its omnipresence and also the name. That in any case is marketing that doesn't win me over as a target group. But now really to "Antidote"! ;-) I don't know why the fragrance here is described as sweet-spicy, for me it is clearly fresh-spicy - in a way that old-fashioned and modern, Barber shop ambience and street credibility enter into a perfect symbiosis here.

Even though "Antidote" doesn't quite come close to the legendary "Background" of Jil Sander and certainly isn't a clone of it, I hear a similar fragrance DNA here. It doesn't always need mainly citric notes to create freshness (even if they are present here). Mint, cardamom and lavender provide a more ethereal note. A few subliminal flowers are added, while the base is so varied that it is difficult to emphasise a special scent character. Maybe that's exactly the secret of "Antidote"!? In any case, it never smells as if you've just mixed all kinds of things together here. Rather "Antidote" reaches by the successful combination of numerous ingredients a completely own personality, which is clear and determined, without being obtrusive.

The elegant green bottle goes very well with the fragrance, which in eminent eyes can be a perfectly motivating and invigorating element in everyday office life. Because "Antidote" for me is undoubtedly a very clean fragrance, which is not necessarily suitable as a Womanizer or Party Crasher, but absolutely to the "Best Buddy" with a sovereign and calm radiance.
5.0 5.0 5.0 7.0/10

Complex
Complex and unique, Antidote beats some niche fragrances easily.

I smell woods, florals and incense at the same time. The base is composed of incense and other resins mixed with herbs.

It has a beautiful drydown and good lasting power.

Sillage is average and projection medium. Definetely thumbs up!

Updated January 2014
7.5 5.0 5.0 5.0/10

A bit of a dissapointment
I tested Antidote shortly after testing Spicebomb, and I must say that this fragrance is more on the masculine side of things. It actually struck me as being quite fresh and green, a lot less spicy than I thought it would be.

Although fresh, it's not really summery. It has a very typical cologne feel to it, which is slightly more rich and intense than a straight-up citrus splash. The scent pyramid suggests a rather unique and complex blend, however in reality Antidote keeps it simple. Actually, in all honesty, I think the scent pyramid is a bit of an exaggeration.

Perhaps Antidote smells different to everyone, but to my nose it's fresh, herbal and a little sharp. I also found it to wear differently on others, depending solely on chemistry. For me personally, the incense, leather and spice accords were difficult to detect.

As a woman, I feel a little ridiculous wearing Antidote, so I'd probably only suggest it to men. I'm not overly thrilled by the composition, but I don't mind its masculinity. It's a nice change to smell something a little less sweet from Viktor & Rolf.

For some reason, Antidote reminds me of Hugo for Men. I think the mint, geranium and lavender accords are to blame for this. Seeing that I didn't enjoy Hugo, I should have known that Antidote would guarantee a similar reaction. Thank goodness I didn't buy this one blind.

I don't mind Viktor & Rolf as a brand, as I find their scents quite interesting and easy to wear. The only thing I dislike about this brand is their relatively expensive price tags. I'd never agree to buying something so pricey. I don't think Antidote is all that it is cracked up to be.
10.0 5.0 5.0 6.0/10

Ysbrand
All purpose antidote for not too deadly poisons
I really wanted to like Antidote. First of all, i remember, back in the time, i liked the marketing campaign´s visuals a lot: the bottle rising from a mess of loose chains, like a houdini that released himself, the green light, implying with that name some sort of toxicity, and this blurry, doble faced albine young model appearing in a mist, like some sort of ghost... it was way more complex and mysterious than the most men´s launches in the last years (which are simplistic and boring most of the times)

Second reason is, i really love the bottle.

But i remember i tried it, in a time when i still didnt give a lot of thought to fragances, and dissapointed with the misleading campaign,i discarded it very fast. Being not a mainstream brand i was expecting something way less... mainstream. Classic, phew.

Six years after, god, time flies, i am back to it. It starts as i remember: clean fresh blast of austere citrus, in the company of some green herbs and aromatic notes... I get a chypre feeling on the paper, not so mossy on my skin. I see here Mint is listed; it must be some sweet type of it, spearmint, or i thought it was basil. I cling to the aromatic note because otherwise Antidote has nothing so far that awakens any interest, indeed i find hard to pay attention to the fragance. In the paper it smells notably different!

Then slowly and subtlely, some changes occur under the bright different citrus. A very thin warmth form the core of the fragance (tonka and vanilla) comes to counterbalance the aromatic notes (i notice a dark lavender and a more dominant geranium), creating a well tempered accord.

Once the citric top notes are (finally) gone (or the cells inside my nose are already numb and burnt ) the fougere gets greener and sweeter, thanks to a pinch of cinnamon and the flowers: you smell, sure enough, a peppery freesia, and i would say sweet-pea flowers, and a bit of lily (more yellow than white if that makes any sense) but is all too soft and a bit ozonic: I wish Antidote had focused in this mid-phase and made it more obvious, because it is lovely.

As it dries down, a mossy, earthy, very clean base reveals, with a bitter greeness of labdanum and then a non-descript warm woods .

Six years after i appreciate Antidote, even if it doesnt keep up with the mystic of the campaign. It is well done, is elegant, and it is not completely pointless, but plays too safe and you can find many similar smelling scents (not with such a nice bottle though)

Sillage is just ok (specially the loud citric notes and not so much the aromatic, herbaceous...etc, that lack projection), and the lasting power is not groundbreaking.

„poisoned wood”
„poisoned wood”
by Shivsri13
Das Gegengift ist aufgezogen und injizierbereit!
by TomLavender
by YKem
by Cezar
by Cezar

Popular Viktor & Rolf

Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb (Eau de Parfum) by Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb Extreme by Viktor & Rolf Bonbon (Eau de Parfum) by Viktor & Rolf Antidote (Eau de Toilette) by Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb Eau de Parfum Extrême by Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb Night Vision by Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb Eau Fraiche by Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb La Vie en Rose 2011 by Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb Nectar by Viktor & Rolf Eau Mega by Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb (Eau de Toilette) by Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb Bloom by Viktor & Rolf Bonbon Couture by Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb Midnight by Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb La Vie en Rose by Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb Rose Explosion by Viktor & Rolf Bonbon Spring Summer 2018 by Viktor & Rolf Bonbon Spring Summer 2017 by Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb La Vie en Rose 2013 by Viktor & Rolf