Morning Chess 2015 Eau de Parfum

Morning Chess (Eau de Parfum) by Vilhelm Parfumerie
Bottle Design Grand Public, Pierre Dinand
Morning Chess (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Vilhelm Parfumerie for men and was released in 2015. The scent is smoky-spicy. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesGalbanumGalbanum
Tuscan leatherTuscan leather
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouliPatchouli
Black amberBlack amber

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 09.09.2021.

The Hanging Game
Morning Chess from Vilhelm Parfumerie starts with a sugared bergamot, which has a pineapple-like character, as with Aventus. The elephant is already in the room and everyone can see it. Clearly Aventus was the inspiration for Mr Epinette here. The problem with Morning Chess, however, is that it doesn't do anything olfactorily better or different than previous Aventus-inspired scents.

The opening here, for example, reminds me a lot of Cedrat Boise by Mancera. It's smoother and less synthetic than the opening of Club de Nuit Intense Man Eau de Toilette by Armaf, but goes in a very similar direction.

My big problem with Morning Chess is the sweetness or the higher fruitiness in the opening. Since the fragrance seems at many moments like a too sweet pineapple ice cream. In the further course, this sweetness remains present while the fragrance develops in a creamy direction. A leather accord fits quite coherently into the overall picture and takes something of the excessive sweetness for my feeling. Edgy and smoky, however, the fragrance is no longer. It remains a sweeter and especially creamier version of Aventus. Not smokier, edgier or with more bite.

The only advantage Morning Chess has over the paragon is in longevity. Where Aventus after 5-6 hours the air goes out, one has of Morning Chess still about 4-5 hours more.

Fragrance: very similar to Cedrat Boise, CDNIM and the role model, Aventus. Nothing really new on the Anasas-Chypre front.
Flacon: Looks classy, but can be sprayed relatively unpleasant.
Sprayer: Very good level. Fine mist similar to a Dior Prive sprayer.
Durability: 8-10 hours with 3 sprays
Price: not justified given the cheaper competition (Cedrat Boise and CDNIM). At 20-25% off, more in the right price range.

I'm disappointed in Morning Chess. For me, this is too sweet, creamy and offers no notable innovations in the pineapple chypre genre from Aventus. Fans of this direction either reach for the original and live with the poorer durability, Parfumos on budget reach for Mancera or Armaf and if you want to smell a different twist and independence in this own genre, then you reach for Hacivat.
Fragleo
This perfume is like a good wine... because it needs to mature!
I can firmly say that I did not look for or buy this perfume to get an alternative to the now very weak Aventus. I actually bought a perfume for the first time in my life because of the bottle. Call me with pleasure marketing victim, because in this case I was it also.
I do not regret the blind purchase in the meantime. The emphasis in the previous sentence is on 'meanwhile', because initially I was actually even a little disappointed by the content of the beautiful flacon.
H&S were not, in my opinion, worthy of the price. I had expected more from the fragrance and the leather note on which I had so looked forward in the drydown somehow also did not come to the fore. I kept the perfume, however, for the reason stated at the beginning.
For about 2 weeks I wore the perfume sporadically and was never really convinced.
3 months later I decided to apply this perfume again and lo and behold. I could clearly smell the leather after an hour and after a whole 7 hours I even got another compliment. The scent stood out... and very positively!
Both my problems were solved and I had exactly the perfume in my hands which I had wished when buying.

Moral of the story: If you are not convinced of the performance in the beginning, just let it stand a weilchen in a dark closet or just put it in the wine cellar

A clone of Aventus!
I got a sample to try from the ScentXplore. I loved it on the first wear. It feels like a more unisex version of Aventus. My husband has Aventus and I love the scent but it is just too masculine for me to wear, plus the batch issue of Aventus disappointing us (we won’t get another bottle of Aventus after finishing the existing one). This one definitely has better performance than my current bottle of Aventus and I can wear it too as it’s more unisex. But when I tried it the second time, I didn’t love it as much as the first time. I think it’s because it’s too reminiscing the Aventus and I’m so used to the smell of Aventus on my husband so it’s not something exciting anymore. I may get it someday after finishing the Aventus and if I can find a discounted price because as a dupe, I don’t think it worths the retail price. At least Aventus is better worth the money of its originality and it uses all natural ingredients as Creed claims.

Carboytony
Warm brown leather and crisp green galbanum
This is one of my love at first sniff scents. Bergamot opens it up and leads you into a very beautiful and sexy combination of warm, sensual Tuscan leather and crisp, bitter, green Galbanum. Patchouli notes creep in and last through the drydown, with hints of salty dark Ambergris.

Pietros921
Does it remind you of something ?
Woooowooooo welcome to the club Of thkse who try to copy or exploit the aventus success ( no sorry I know you haven’t done it on purpose mr.Vilhelm ;) )

But ! I dont want to sound like an Aventus defender or offenser. This first part was abit ironic, come on after all I know that everybody likes when a fragrance is compared to aventus.

Now lets focus on the differences.
Well this is a fragrance not too special and its not worth a real review. All I can say is that it lasts sooo long, its linear and smells like a burning candle of Mancera Cedrat Boisé. That exact same smell you have it here but in addition there is a creaminess around like a wax.
Great perfume which will make you stand out get loooots of compliments but if you are looking for something original, interesting, complex, special and not for everyday then look elsewhere.

ArtistscentArtistscent 9 months ago
It's Vibrant Leather with one note changed. Or The Orchid Man, again, with one note changed.
ToreterToreter 2 years ago
Its a middle point btwn Aventus and Vespero. Starts sweet clear bergamot and citrics with a woody vibe and stays linear. Last alot A+++

by Mustang69
by Mustang69
Reklamekarte in Postkartengröße von Vilhelm Parfumerie
by Gallerph
by Gallerph
by Carboytony
by Carboytony

Popular Vilhelm Parfumerie

Dear Polly (Eau de Parfum) by Vilhelm Parfumerie Black Citrus by Vilhelm Parfumerie Poets of Berlin by Vilhelm Parfumerie Fleur Burlesque by Vilhelm Parfumerie Mango Skin by Vilhelm Parfumerie Basilico & Fellini (Eau de Parfum) by Vilhelm Parfumerie A Lilac A Day by Vilhelm Parfumerie The Oud Affair by Vilhelm Parfumerie Dirty Velvet by Vilhelm Parfumerie 125th & Bloom / Harlem Bloom by Vilhelm Parfumerie Darling Nikki by Vilhelm Parfumerie Stockholm 1978 by Vilhelm Parfumerie Room Service by Vilhelm Parfumerie Smoke Show by Vilhelm Parfumerie Moon Carnival by Vilhelm Parfumerie Purple Fig by Vilhelm Parfumerie Do Not Disturb by Vilhelm Parfumerie Skins x Vilhelm by Vilhelm Parfumerie Chicago High by Vilhelm Parfumerie Don't Tell Jasmine by Vilhelm Parfumerie