Let it Rock by Vivienne Westwood

Let it Rock is a perfume by Vivienne Westwood for women and was released in 2007. The scent is spicy-oriental. It was last marketed by Coty.

Marie Salamagne

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Freesia, Mandarin
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Patchouli

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 19.03.2019

7.0 8.0 10.0/10

Rocky's Westwood's memorial service
Dear mourners!

We are gathered here today to say goodbye to Let it Rock. On this sad occasion, I would like to say a few personal words. Let it Rock - I call her Rocky in the following for simplicity's sake - came into my life by chance. I only met her one or two years ago - I don't know that exactly anymore - when I dared to exchange a nice perfume with her. Since I already knew and appreciated some of Mrs. Westwood's daughters, I was very excited to meet Rocky. At that time I could not have guessed that we were only allowed a short time together.

So we got to know each other, and there was immediately an intimate, deep affection. Cause you had two qualities that I really appreciate: Amber and Patchouli. You gave me warmth when I needed it and were a faithful and constant companion, especially on cool autumn days. Like a golden cape you wrapped yourself around me, your wonderful fragrance merged with my skin. If only I had guessed how soon you would disappear forever, I would have taken precautions!

If you want me to describe you with short words, the following occurs to me: Amber gold, velvety, warmth, well-being, precisely dosed sweetness, cuddly, imparting strength. Because in spite of all the cuddles you were also grown up.

But now the time has come: I must let you go forever. All the pleading, searching and researching has helped nothing. Whoever has you won't give you away. To me, you, one of my most loyal friends, are now lost. You're not here anymore. I have to accept that and will use the rest of you wisely and celebrate every drop with pleasure. I'm gonna miss you so much.

And now, dear mourners, we're all listening to the song "Time to say goodbye" *schneuz*

RIP
8.0 8.0 7.0 8.5/10

Invitation to dance
When I think of Vivienne Westwood, I naturally think of the punk icon - and pogo rather than rock.

Should this fragrance now rock ?
AC/DC instead of Sex Pistols ?
No, neither.

I'm more likely to hear Shostakovich's rich, lively waltz no. 2.
Three-four time with Russian sentiment.

Full sounds, to a full fragrance.
I immediately find myself in the catchy rhythm.
A music to put in - like in the Westwood.
Let it Rock takes me away, and carries me away.

No Bondage trousers or leather jacket, no - I turn in a velvet dress to the music.
Marzipan with a delicious Amareton note seductively reaches my nose.
Freesia and jasmine lighten the dance mildly, like candlelight in the candelabra, which flickers in time.
Amber adds a deep sweetness, accompanied by soft patchouli.

Let it Rock nestles against me, like my imaginary dance partner, guides me safely - and gives me momentum.

I hope for the next galante : May I ask ?
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Heavy-hitting Patchouli
I recall testing Let It Rock a few years ago. At the time patchouli was not a scent that I enjoyed, so I remember hurriedly returning the tester bottle to the shelf and walking away without thinking twice. I never wrote a follow-up review and knowing that I owed it to this fragrance to write one, I ordered a sample of Let It Rock.

It's surprising how much our tastes can change. Let It Rock is now a fragrance that I thoroughly enjoy. My attitude towards patchouli has also changed.

This fragrance opens with a rather intense burst of patchouli and citrusy bergamot. It smells very green and menthol-like for at least the first few minutes, before settling into a smooth, slightly powdery heart.

The floral accords aren't all that obvious in Let It Rock. If anything, there's the slightest hint of jasmine, but it's neither fresh nor delicate. Amber and patchouli tend to dominate the composition, providing a rich, somewhat resinous texture. To some reviewers it smells sweaty, however on my skin, it smells heavenly.

Let It Rock is a scent with a hint of aggressiveness. Although feminine, it's not pretty. I find it best suited for wear during Autumn and Winter, as it has that touch of spicy warmth.

The longevity and sillage are excellent, really good for the price. Many discounters seem to sell this fragrance, partly due to the fact that it's unpopular. Well, I personally don't understand how it could be so disliked. Hating patchouli is one thing, but to hate a well executed fragrance, shocks me greatly.

Originally written: July 14, 2012.
10.0 7.5 7.5 9.0/10

Aromatic patchouli
I believe LIR is an amazing perfume, it is so recognizable fresh and oriental at the same time. I have recently acquired Boudoir but I was happily surprised with Let It Rock. I could smell it all over the house. The patchouli is so aromatic and so well blended with the green notes. I would definitely recommend it without any hesitation and I am sure that in a while it will be honored as much as Boudoir. Thanks a lot Mrs Westwood for the excellent job.
5.0 7.5 7.5 9.0/10

a dry Baiser du Dragon
Wearing this scent is, for me, like looking at an artist's preliminary sketch of a complex landscape. The sketch can be just as good as the full-blown piece, and so it is here.

To my surprise, this is the sketch of Cartier's Baiser du Dragon before the artist draws in the fine ornamentation (the amaretto sweetness) & the full shading (the more complex woody notes). I don't smell the citrus at all, and only smell the faintest hint of jasmine. This is a dry, incensy beauty with a bit of avant-garde flair.

While the writing on the bottle seems to be aimed at folks interested in punk rock and graffiti,I think this smell belongs in a sleek, minimalist bottle with a typeface borrowed from blueprints. It makes me think of the Museum of Modern Art - not cutting-edge like some hole-in-the-wall gallery in a slum, but the "establishment" version of it.
6.0/10

Good, not Great
Let It Rock is a good, but not great, amber-based fragrance with patchouli and jasmine in the heart. The freesia in this composition is wearable, which is infrequent for me. I don't get an "english garden" impression here because the florals are quite subtle. Rather, it's VW's Libertine that is very "english garden" to me.

Interesting, wearable, and better than most mass-market drivel. Yet not compelling. I got a used bottle cheap on ebay & doubt that I'll keep it.

Let It Rock would make a good every-day fragrance for someone whose favorite color is black. Also, wearable by guys imo.

18th September, 2011