Je Reviens (1932) Parfum

Je Reviens (Parfum) by Worth
Bottle Design: René Lalique et Cie.

Je Reviens (Parfum) is a perfume by Worth for women and was released in 1932. The scent is floral-powdery. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Jasmine, Orange blossom, Ylang-ylang, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesLilac, Clove, Hyacinth, Orris root, Narcissus, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Musk, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Violet, Vetiver, Frankincense

Submitted by Seglein, last update on 06.06.2019

plastic heaven
I wore Je Reviens on and off in the early ’80s. I’m sure it read as dowdy and anachronistic, especially on a twenty year old, but I’d never smelled anything quite like it and was taken by its plastic, synthetic beauty. I knew a few floral aldehydes and loved Arpège, Joy and No 5 but I knew nothing about the history of perfume. It would never have occurred to me to consider perfume as the product of an era, though I was aware that my other perfumes, Antaeus and Kouros, were newer.

What struck me about Je Reviens was that I could break it down and identify some of its qualities. Not notes, but descriptors. The other perfumes I knew existed as complete entities. I could no more easily dissect Joy than I could take apart a marble bust and show you its constituent parts. But I could read Je Reviens. I didn’t have a vocabulary for it, but I could tell that it juxtaposed its elements differently. It was powdery and buttery at the same time. I’m sure the cobalt bottle influenced me, but Je Reviens smelled both blue and yellow without ever mixing to become green. The different qualities fit together but didn’t blend like the bouquets in Arpège and Joy. I found abstraction in perfumery at the same time that I was discovering my proclivity for abstraction in other art forms. I started to think of perfume as a composition.

I still smell Je Reviens the same way, but I have more context for it. The contrasting qualities still sit next to each other without blending, but now I chalk it up to a particular use of aromachemicals, most likely vintage musks and a famously heavy dose of benzyl salicylate. It still reads as floral, but now I see it as densely woody with a stemmy, watery crispness and a background hint of smoke.

Je Reviens was released in 1932 and was a precursor to the the green florals and chypres of the ’50s as well as the the metallic ’60s-‘ 70s green florals. Although it comes from the ’30s it has a 1950s sensibility. The delineation of the notes the suits the rigid artifice and cocktail party mentality of the mid ’50s. It is a floral speedball seen through a blur of martinis and amphetamines. The plasticky aromachemicals amp the florals and give a gloss that slurs the speech just a touch.
5.0 7.5 7.5 3.0/10

Modern cheap drugstore reformulation
I would like to state right from the start that this review is for a modern drugstore reformulation in clear bottle with a black cap. There is another modern version called Je Reviens Couture, which I haven’t tried yet.
I had this bottle for many years. I knew that it was not my cup of tea when I got it blind back then but I was hoping that one day I will see beauty in it. I am still not impressed today but I think what I see in this scent now is a poor shadow of what this scent used to be as I can definitely appreciate the composition’s complexity despite of the crude ingredients and cheap feel.

The opening of the scent is sharp and rough. The aldehydes are strong and to the point of being unpleasant. The green notes are also strong and very chemical. This stage is so unpleasantly chemical that I had to fight my urge to scrub it off. The scent improves while it transitions into green and crisp, slightly soapy, floral bouquet. I definitely smell narcissus, lilacs and hyacinths. As the scent settles on my skin, there is a slight powdery note that mixes with green floral arrangement. But there is still an off-putting chemical note mingling with the scent that I find quite disturbing. The perfume softens towards the dry down into a powdery, woody and green scent which is quite pleasant and complex.

This version of Je Reviens is definitely not what I expected based on raving reviews I have read on other blog sites. I hope that Je Reviens Couture version will live up to its glory as its poor cousine Je Reviens does smell like a household cleaning spray (and not of a good quality).
2.5 7.5 7.5 2.0/10

A Criminally Tragic Reformulation
Based on the many rave reviews of this perfume which I had read, I decided to add a bottle of JE REVIENS to my cart during one of my online perfume shopping trips. I love floral aldehydes; it was practically free: what did I have to lose?

The good news is that I rather liked the drydown of JE REVIENS: powdery, warm, a bit SHALIMAR-like, in fact. The bad news is that for the first time ever, upon initial application, I suddenly understood all of the complaints that so many make about "old" perfumes. Honestly, the opening reminded me very much of an attic filled with old clothes, or some other place where dead skin cells have been accumulating over a number of years.

It might be the incense/aldehyde/ylang ylang combination. All I know is that I really did not enjoy wearing JE REVIENS at all until the final phase. But I am happy to have tried it, nonetheless.

For some months, the 3.4oz edt bottle of this reformulation of a once classic perfume found a comfortable home, undisturbed, in the back of my armoir along with what appears to be about a gallon of CABOTINE purchased in gift sets for the shower gel and lotion--which I do like, as evidenced by the fact that they are all gone...

Ultimately, this depressing bottle of so-called JE REVIENS was purged from my collection.
5.0 7.5 5.0 1.0/10

A Cheap Excuse for Chanel No 5
This is a Cheap Nickle & Dime Drugstore
Supermarket attepmt on Chanel no 5 for the
working Classes since the average
Joe or Jane can't afford Chanel so they
made this. the Aldehyde in this seems to
be more synthitic more plastic then the
earthy and more woodsy Chanel no 5.
The color is Antiseptic like in Hospitals like the color of nurses
And Doctors Scrubs or Bathroom Disinfectant with a Bright Turquiose
Blue Liquid. There is a Leather basenote in this but it fails to have
it's own Idenity in a trend of the once
Popular perfume Trend The ALDEHYDES!!!

Hairspray
This is so bad that it makes me wonder if my sample has turned. What I get is hairspray, straight-up hairspray. Honestly, I don't even want to rate this since I can't image someone liking what I smell, and yet people do apparently like this perfume, even a lot. I will be interested to see, once there are more reviews posted, if anyone experiences what I have.

For reference, I sampled the EDT which was hand decanted by someone who is familiar with perfume and someone I would expect to have noticed if the perfume had gone bad. Really puzzling.
7.5 5.0 6.0/10

Classic and affordable powdery floral
Je Reviens is one of those cheap classics. While the EDT is the most popular buy, I had the opportunity to test the rather hard-to-find EDP.

This fragrance is indeed very powdery and complex, but more so in an old-fashioned, vintage sense. Since Chanel No.5 started the floral aldehyde trend, there have been many fragrances released since that smell very similar to Je Reviens and No.5.

Despite the dominant, powdery aldehydes, Je Reviens has a very clean and soapy feel, partly due to the citrus and floral notes. That refreshing quality, while safe, is extremely likable.

I can't say that I've ever smelt this fragrance on anyone close to me. I am surprised at this seeming that this fragrance is very popular and cheap in my country. However I am very certain that there are many ladies over the age of 60 who wear this fragrance everyday.

I was thankful that Je Reviens didn't turn out to be an aggressive powdery scent, however due to my personal tastes I couldn't warm to the scent either. The EDP had rather average lasting strength, however due to a slight case of perfume snobbery, I must admit that I didn't expect much.

by Zora
Traveller Flacon für die Tasche.
by Lasisa
by Catyschatzi
by Catyschatzi
Ca. 50 Jahre alt, der Flakon gehörte meiner Mutter

Popular Worth

Je Reviens (Parfum) by Worth Courtesan by Worth Worth pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Worth Dans la Nuit (1924) by Worth Je Reviens Couture by Worth Je Reviens (Eau de Toilette) by Worth Monsieur Worth (Eau de Toilette) by Worth Sans Adieu by Worth Worth pour Homme Haute Concentration (Eau de Toilette) by Worth Vers le Jour by Worth Miss Worth by Worth Vers Toi by Worth Je Reviens (Eau de Parfum) by Worth Worth pour Homme (After Shave) by Worth Worth pour Homme Haute Concentration (After Shave) by Worth Dans la Nuit (1985) (Eau de Toilette) by Worth Dans la Nuit (1985) (Parfum) by Worth Je Reviens (Eau de Cologne) by Worth Projets by Worth Monsieur Worth (Eau de Cologne Triple) by Worth