17/17 - Homme 2007

17/17 - Homme by XerJoff
17/17 - Homme is a popular perfume by XerJoff for men and was released in 2007. The scent is leathery-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still available to purchase.

Jacques Flori

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot TarragonTarragon GrapefruitGrapefruit GingerGinger CarawayCaraway Mandarin orangeMandarin orange OrangeOrange LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCloveClove IrisIris LavenderLavender RoseRose Ylang-ylangYlang-ylang LeatherLeather
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergrisAmbergris BirchBirch MuskMusk SandalwoodSandalwood VanillaVanilla VetiverVetiver CedarCedar

Submitted by Chemist, last update on 24.09.2022.

1 in-depth fragrance description

Manly & Classy
A fragrance that exudes macism. For the entire duration of the fragrance you're hit with a wall of rough, industrial and very petroleum-based leather, initially softened by citrus notes, then in the heart by lavender and cloves and in the end by woody hints in the base. It reminds me of various things, especially the scent of a new car interior or the smell of a new pair of leather shoes with a vibram rubber sole. It shares similarities with Pikovaya dama or Puredistance M, both inspired by great compositions of the past. Composition with a retro charm that did not convince me enough, no wow effect especially considering the price
The 600€ leather benchmark
We start today very striking. 600€ for a fragrance. Some people would buy a used car or go on holiday for that. Can that be worth a fragrance that has clearly been inspired by a cheap alternative in the form of Knize Ten? I think we'll find out together today.

Xerjoff as a house should be a household name to everyone by now. No other brand has established itself in recent years in the high-priced niche area as the brand from Italy. One wants to score me exclusive and luxurious fragrances, high-quality processed flacons and prestige.

In different collections (Shooting Stars, Oud Stars, Stonelabel etc.) one offers thereby for each taste and also each budget the suitable smell. And while the Alexandria II could inspire me with its soft and warm charisma, that looks so far at the rest of the portfolio of Xerjoff different. So far, no fragrance has been able to really knock my socks off. Either too sweet, too playful or simply too inconsequential, many of the scents I tested seemed to be. A fragrance that I had but always on my watch list, was the Homme.

When I was therefore 2 weeks ago in Berlin and visited the perfume salon near the Kurfürstendamm, I took the opportunity and tried the Homme. On the day I left the store only with an Etruscan Water and Bowmakers, but the decision to buy the Homme stood firm.

Disclaimer. This fragrance was kindly provided to me by absolutely NO ONE. Why this note? Currently on Youtube I have the feeling that everyone is raffling either a Naxos or 10 bottles of Erba Pura and the name Xerjoff as well as that of the German distributor is mentioned in every second sentence. I poor sausage had to buy the fragrance myself and spend my own earned money on it. Anyway, there is no one behind me with 2 boxes of bottles of Xerjoff that can be raffled off, and in doing so, certainly influences one or the other perception of fragrances unconsciously.

The Homme was created in 2007 and comes from the creative pen of Jacques Flori, who was responsible for many of the fragrances of the Shooting Stars series and also created some fragrances for Etro.
The Homme starts on my skin tart, fresh with a fair amount of bitter-tart citrusy tones. I would describe the lemon and ginger as setting the tone here in the opening. The cumin adds some bite to the fresher notes, but never drifts into "sweaty" or musty compared to cumin. This fresh kick doesn't linger long and then the tone-setting component of Homme asserts itself. The leather. Here a very clean, not worn leather that is nevertheless very sharply outlined and absolutely authentic. Not in the form of an old horse saddle, for example, but rather a really expensive leather sofa or the interior of a vintage car. At this stage of the fragrance, there is then a note that absolutely fascinates me and for me is the charm of Homme. We have here an almost viscous note that reminds me of motor oil. As if you were standing in a garage where a sports car is on the lifting platform. From a distance you can smell the smell of drained oil. Heavy, black and in places somewhat reminiscent of petroleum. Those who know the garage of Comme des Garcons will find a similar "workshop" DNA here. The one from Homme is even more authentic though and seems rougher and gruff. In the later drydown, the leather then gets a soapy component to the side. The dirt of the workshop is here also olfactory "cleaned" and the leather is somewhat tamed. So the fragrance then remains until the end. An absolutely high-quality and washed with soap leather that still has rough edges, but the force and the dirt of the first phase left behind.

The durability of Homme leaves nothing to be desired. The first 3 hours, the fragrance radiates quite strong and potent from the skin and only then becomes a little quieter and then starts to become skin tight. I could perceive the fragrance even 10 hours still without problems.

The bottle is on typical Xerjoff level. Very high quality and beautiful in the hand. Here as all fragrances of the Stonelabel collection with a stone on the front. Sprayer usual and very good Xerjoff quality. Fine dosable and also "half" sprays are possible.

With the packaging, Xerjoff is also not lumpen. Here you feel at any time that you hold a luxury product in your hand.

The price of 600 € is an announcement. At 6 € / ml stops with me the friendship. One gets the fragrance currently in the 50ml variant for about 320€. I have paid for my 100ml bottle just 440€. I think the RRP of Xerjoff is exorbitant. But also a Rolex for 8000€ is overpriced. We are here in the high-price segment where the price / performance ratio actually no longer plays a role. Who wants the fragrance, must clearly reach into the pocket. Whether one is worth it, only everyone can decide for themselves.

An alternative would certainly be the fragrance, which was the godfather for the Homme. The Knize Ten is relatively similar to the Homme at first glance. Again, we have an absolutely striking and masculine leather scent broken up by soapy aspects. And now comes the same old story. The Xerjoff just smells more premium from the composition (and that's not even referring to the individual components). Here, everything just seems more coherent, better intertwined and especially this "workshop phase" of the fragrance with the smell of motor oil or petroleum is missing the Knize Ten. But if you don't want to / or can't afford the Homme, you'll also do well with the Knize Ten. The same applies to the Russian Juchten by Harry Lehmann, which goes like the Knize Ten also in this direction of soapy leather.

As a conclusion, it remains for me to say that I have found in Homme the leather scent that I have always secretly been looking for. As a fan of tart, strongly masculine fragrances, the Homme meets all the requirements of a fragrance for me. The "dirty" engine oil or petroleum note in the middle of the fragrance is then for me as a Fahrenheit fan the cherry on the icing.

Ischgelroi
You don't want to smell like that...
Xerjoff Homme I could test by chance, because I got a manufacturer sample to test. I am usually a Xerjoff fan and also like the strong projection, even the light synthetic does not bother me. To the 17/17 collection I put of course high expectations finally that is also theoretically the best what Xerjoff has to offer and the high price is also a point that has set my expectations high
But now to Homme itself. I'll make it short and sweet: I just don't want to smell like this, this Xerjoff is just repulsive. Homme smells like a cable burn over which Ahoy effervescence was poured. This fougere and chypre top note combined with the leather and lavender is just not tolerable for me. Initially, I even find the whole thing tolerable. The citrus with the tarragon and caraway are quite well done, but after 10 minutes just this lavender and leather combination begins to turn the whole thing in a very strange direction. I think with Homme it's just not clear where the journey should go. Homme seems to me just not thought through.

At this point, an apology to all fans of Homme, but so I do not want to smell for the world.

Somehow with Homme I keep feeling that this one should be like Roja Diaghilev, but here everything was spoiled by the leather with lavender. There was too much playing with the different scents here. Homme has not managed to find a clear line even in the end and remains a diffuse misfortune in the bottle.

It is really the worst Xerjoff I have tested so far. It is for me cheeky soas for 610€ for 100 Ml to sell.

The durability I can unfortunately not test to the end, because I had to capitulate with this fragrance simply after a few hours. But I am sure here that the fragrance will last over 12 hours. The silage is also extremely strong, again I could not test this until the end.

Homme is one of the few scents I had to wash off.
The beauty of dissonance
When I first stood in front of the Monte Rosa massif in the Dolomites, the view was simply overwhelming. The upcoming tour in front of your eyes, you could clearly feel the respect and the adrenaline building up, flowing through the whole body..and yet the anticipation of what you have in front of you prevailed.
By means of this anecdote from a climbing holiday in Italy, I would like to present to the inclined reader, as my first experience with Homme went approximately: The fragrance waits at the first wearing with a certain coldness and aloofness, uninviting and quite respect-inspiring. I smell citrusy and slightly soapy accords with a very clear dominant oily, subtly smoky underpinning. What do I mean by oily? For me, Homme evokes what at first seems an odd association with motor oil. Anyone who has ever entered a car repair shop will certainly be familiar with this mixture of engine oil and the smell of abrasion from tires and brakes that lingers in the air. Consequently, the fragrance presents a very pure, raw masculinity, especially at the beginning. Uncompromising and very direct.
In the further course of the fragrance, the originally quite eccentric citrus chords lower and smoke and oily notes finally become aware of their dominance. But now the fragrance picture of Homme breaks: A very elegant, cool leather note and a hint of sweetness enter the parquet. The associations change. The pure masculinity of Homme turns into a sublime, stylish elegance. The fragrance suddenly fits into the business world, with a suit, at festivities, in the theatre. Homme presents itself for me but clearly conservative and opinionated.
I am now sustainably enthusiastic about this Xerjoff composition. This apparent contradiction of initially purist masculinity and professional, stylish elegance unite to an incredibly multifaceted and perhaps therefore so fascinating fragrance. The inherent dissonance of this perfume of these two fundamentally different facets is never really resolved, but it works great!

Felsn
hormonal - homme & elle ...
hormonal
we fit together just fine
homme and elle

yes it was quick - the whole world
i lay at your feet today
want only what you like

we know no limits
love rules over money
you are the gentle gazelle
and I'm the rebel
ma quante si bell

on the fragrant journey
when we met
i couldn't sleep for nights for nights on end

all ships into port
because we arrived
i can smell you well
i'm still in a daze

will you go with me? you say yes, so come
the first time sniffing
that's what this song is about

serenades all night long
in front of the balcony
i couldn't believe it
you're sweet as candy

together it gets rough
yes that's my lingo
from now until forever
this is us elle and homme

;)

________________________

in the diverse world of fragrances - but also generally in life there are - these passionate encounters where you know = from now on everything will feel a little different.

and in this sense I have times tried a just such, in the form you are used to me, to perpetuate in a small song including video.

xerjoff homme & elle - somehow these niche fragrances and the personal story integrated by me here have actually changed everything - you will understand what I mean if you have watched the video to the end :)

the first sniff of these two fabulous creations will remain for me simply eternally unforgotten. the quality level is here on such an incredibly high level that you realize even after a still so long personal scent affinity very quickly: wow - there is still sooo much to discover and learn ... and that's exactly what makes this profound passion so inexhaustibly exciting. but I can preach to you here yet and nöcher something - just to keep it simple: just take the opportunity when it presents itself and enjoy times nen test of these first works from the house xerjoff - in my opinion definitely recommended :)

2 short views on the fragrance
PatronrPatronr 5 months ago
Exactly, very masculine. Dry. Leathery, bit spicy. Slightly mechanical alike ?
ItchynoseItchynose 4 years ago
Leather, tar, animalic musk... dark and ominous like an oil refinery at midnight. Deep, intense and very masculine.

Images

5 fragrance photos of the community
More images

Popular by XerJoff

XJ 1861 Naxos by XerJoff Oud Stars - Alexandria II (Parfum) by XerJoff Amber Star by XerJoff Shooting Stars - Uden by XerJoff Casamorati - Lira (Eau de Parfum) by XerJoff Alexandria II (Pure Attar) by XerJoff Join The Club - Torino21 by XerJoff Tony Iommi Monkey Special by XerJoff Oud Stars - Alexandria Orientale by XerJoff Join The Club - 40 Knots by XerJoff Oud Stars - Alexandria III by XerJoff Oud Stars - Fars by XerJoff Accento by XerJoff Casamorati - Bouquet Ideale (Eau de Parfum) by XerJoff Casamorati - Dolce Amalfi (Eau de Parfum) by XerJoff Casamorati - Dama Bianca (Eau de Parfum) by XerJoff 17/17 - Pikovaya Dama by XerJoff 17/17 - Richwood by XerJoff Casamorati - 1888 by XerJoff Join The Club - Ivory Route by XerJoff