Join The Club - Birdie 2012

Join The Club - Birdie by XerJoff
Join The Club - Birdie is a perfume by XerJoff for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is earthy-green. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase.

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 07.11.2021.

For fragrances of the collection"Join The Club", intentionally no notes are specified. Every scent of this series is dedicated to another club.

Amadea70
Are you still having sex.........
....or do you golf yet? Probably one of the silliest sayings people use to annoy golfers. In golf, a birdie means playing under par - taking fewer strokes than given to get the ball into the hole. I'm not quite sure, but I think it's something like that. There are more birdies in golf, after all. If you work on a golf course, you inevitably end up on the course. I never got out past the driving range, though, with the golf cart around the course - always had more fun. The further south you go in Europe, the more water you need to irrigate the greens, so that the water always gives the grass that nice rich colour. I personally find that questionable and in Spain gibts high penalties if drinking water is used - rightly so.

Birdie is first neat patchouli in the face, which is quite sour. Since everything was actually already over with me. But it goes on and Birdie becomes more beautiful, the patchouoli softer on my skin. The acid fades and I smell a hint of mint and beautiful wood.

Why could this scent be called Birdie now, I wondered. Maybe it means the hole in which the ball rolls - patchouli has something earthy. Or does it mean the golf ball, formerly filled with bird feathers. I don't know and I'm not guessing. I like the bird.
Peat instead of turf
Dirtiest, earthiest (for me the hottest) patchouli with a dry-dusty-mineral note (like old cellar walls) and something spicier-tart and delicately sweet-aromatic in the background. Yes, the wet bird feathers are easy to understand. But for me it is a whole wet bird, breaded in bird sand.

Bird sand: quartz sand and shell grit; anise oil is added to keep the sand germ-free.
That would fit in very well here, and with Anis I've had it the last time. And I think I can see that
With time the patchouli becomes woody, with a subtle sweet-alcoholic note. Peaty recognized Floyd well, I almost didn't dare to write it (the commi was finished in its basic structure weeks ago) because you always ascribe a smoky note to peaty whiskey, but the smell is not smoky. But it smells like a big old wooden cask in which a single malt was maturing for years. Dark, woody, earthy, peaty, alcoholic, sweetish.

I cannot say with certainty whether the sweet-woody note is contributed by sandalwood or by amber, but I would tend towards amber, because, if you think of patchouli away from it, it's the same note as in "Embruns d'Ambre" by Stéphanie de Saint-Aignan, which I inhabit.

If there are any flowers in here, I'd say jasmine. For Jasmine I have a built-in Geiger counter and I think I can detect a hint, but maybe there are no flowers in it at all. It's all subjective interpretation and what do I know already.

Anyway, together with Karma from Lush (2nd place) this became my favourite patchouli (1st place). I can't get enough of it. Birdie stays for many hours and doesn't go through any great change, which is good for me. Only the protagonists keep pushing each other into the foreground. Sometimes it's more patchouli, sometimes more the sweet-woody alcoholic, then again more the dry mineral.

Gschpusi gave me a generous bottling (I thank you from the bottom of my heart!), I'll get by with that for a little while (until the bottle moves in), because you really need very little. 2 fine sprayers are sufficient and I smell myself all day long! The plastic pens spray too much, a single hit is enough. I changed it to a glass sprayer which mists finer.

Birdie is quite unusual! I think most people's noses are startled, but I love that one I also wear it at work, where the outfit rather than the location is more important. Dark colours and a more blatant outfit might go with the fragrance better than a pink flower dress, apron dress or Frankonia pleated skirt (Insider ;) ), but I can imagine it looking great with a stylish suit at any time of the day and on any occasion.

Petrified Petrosmium
I went to considerable lengths to get this. I have always been fascinated by the aroma of earth÷mulch÷rain÷etc; and for quite some time now I have had Xerjoff marked as one of those perfume provenancers whose produce I really like a _very_ great deal. Then I found that Xerjoff do an ~earth÷mulch÷rain÷etc~: and this is it.

It doesn't disappoint: it fulfills my expectations fræ both angles. It is _very_ much indeed a fragrance that olfactorily conveys the notion of moist earth & rain; and it has that certain stamp of quality that I have come to expect of Xerjoff 'fumes.

But, is it ^petrichor^? Petrichor is the aroma produced when rain, especially thunderstorm-type rain consisting of big drops, falls on parched earth. I had marked this aroma long before I knew it was named. The occasions when I beheld the first few huge drops of a thunderstorm falling so heavily on earth so parched that each drop would cast up a little puff of dust, are indelibly engraven in my memory by reason largely of the beauty of the whole scene, but more especially by reason of the utterly sublime aroma that arose from those little puffs - the aroma called 'petrichor'.

This perfume is not petrichor. Some have said that petrichor is the holy grail of the perfumer's equippage. I do believe, alas, it has not yet been bottled. This perfume is gorgeous; but it is not petrichor. Petrified Petrosmium, maybe.

... a fortnight or so later
I was recently at my favourite apothecarial house having a good intraspire at a card with ~Concrete~ by Comme de Garçons on it. I kept thinking it was familiar, but couldn't place it. It was only this morning that I eventually thought "of course! it's ^that^ one!" - which here means, of course, ^this^ one.

Popular XerJoff

XJ 1861 Naxos by XerJoff Oud Stars - Alexandria II (Parfum) by XerJoff Shooting Stars - Amber Star by XerJoff Casamorati - Lira (Eau de Parfum) by XerJoff Shooting Stars - Uden by XerJoff Oud Stars - Fars by XerJoff Alexandria Orientale by XerJoff Join The Club - 40 Knots by XerJoff Pikovaya Dama by XerJoff Join The Club - Ivory Route by XerJoff Casamorati - Dolce Amalfi by XerJoff Symphonium by XerJoff Casamorati - 1888 by XerJoff Begum by XerJoff Opera by XerJoff Shooting Stars - Star Musk by XerJoff Accento by XerJoff Shooting Stars - Nio by XerJoff Casamorati - Bouquet Ideale by XerJoff Accento Overdose by XerJoff